Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I'm looking for a cheap sound bar for my parents' TV. It doesn't need to fill a big room or be very loud. Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

NotNut posted:

I'm looking for a cheap sound bar for my parents' TV. It doesn't need to fill a big room or be very loud. Any recommendations?

what’s in stock at your local Costco?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I have a mixer that has two channels or lines -- I genuinely do not know the word, but maybe explaining it with pictures would be easier.

This is the mixer:

In Line 3/4 I have my PC plugged in, then Line 5/6 has my monitor's audio out since I use HDMI to connect two game consoles to this one monitor.

However, I have a dual monitor setup -- same monitors -- but I wanted to see what my options would be to add that monitor to this same set up as well. Is my only option to add a bigger mixer to this setup and then just do the same thing from monitor 1 onto monitor 2, going into a new Line 7/8? Is there some sort of opposite-of-a-headphone-splitter than can take the audio from both of the monitors and push it out to the mixer? The monitors never play at the same time, I don't necessarily need isolated controls for them separated on a mixer either way. I can manage with just controlling "monitors" as opposed to "monitor 1" and "monitor 2".

Right now, my solution is just a simple HDMI switch and using the third console on the same monitor, but I feel like there should be some sort of audio combiner type cable I can get. Searching for it on Amazon just gives me a lot of cheap non-real-namebrand stuff.

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 31, 2021

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jamming together two signals with a Y-cable is something that is very much advised against, it can create all kinds of noise issues and worst-case damage equipment.

What you're looking for is... A mixer :v:

So yes, I would recommend upgrading to larger mixer with more stereo inputs.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Channel 1 and 2 can each take a side of a line stereo pair, if they're not in use. You just have the inconvenience of adjusting the level with two knobs.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I was gonna say that it can't pan the channels, so it'll be in mono, but it has a mono/stereo switch right there :doh:

Yeah, just use channels 1 and 2 and make sure that button is in stereo mode.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Awesome, that's a perfect solution. So I should be able to pop either side (left or right) out and pop it into Line 1, then order the same cable, set it all up on monitor 2, pop its ends into the now-vacant side (right, in the scenario) and then other into Line 2?

Then I'm good, all I have to worry/bother with it adjusting levels on both Line 1 and Line 3/4 for monitor 1 and then Line 2 and Line 3/4 when using monitor 2, right?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Uh no, just plug monitor 2 into line 1 (left) and line 2 (right), and make sure the mono/stereo switch is set to stereo. Then you adjust the volume for monitor 2 on line 1 and line 2.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 31, 2021

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Uh no, just plug monitor 2 into line 1 (left) and line 2 (right), and make sure the mono/stereo switch is set to stereo. Then you adjust the volume for monitor to on line 1 and line 2.

Oh, this is even better. Thanks! :tipshat:

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
What's the go to recommendation for a set of desktop speakers under ~150?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I'm not an expert but I like the Edifier r1280 that have been mentioned a few times in this thread.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

Skimming through the thread it looks like YU2s are the goto relatively inexpensive compact speaker option? The r1280 are too big unfortunately; I don't have a lot of desk space.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

bltzn posted:

Skimming through the thread it looks like YU2s are the goto relatively inexpensive compact speaker option? The r1280 are too big unfortunately; I don't have a lot of desk space.
Sure you're not thinking of the Audioengine A2? Speaking of which, it looks like they have a cheaper A1 nowadays too. Seems to be less fancy looking and less input options, $160 on their refurb store, vs $223 for the A2+.

In any case...yeah the tiny speaker options are pretty limited, and above your "under ~150" range. The cheaper good ones are just a bit bigger like the Edifier, which isn't that big. Definitely bigger but not like it's a big speaker itself, so make sure on the dimensions being too big before blowing an extra $50-100 for tiny speakers. (I got the A2s cause space way back so understand the tiny speaker dilemma)

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

They look to be about the same size, but the YU2 is ~$50 cheaper as well. My $150 budget was pretty arbitrary since I didn't yet know what kind of options are available out there. Thanks for letting me know there's an A1 though, that might do nicely! Oh, Kanto makes a YU too! Nice.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Cross-posting from Haus of Tech Support: Why are my speakers making this sound?

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Logitech Z-5500 which I've had for 15 years.

I recently moved, I was in my old apartment for 8+ years. It was modernized, good wiring, never had this issue.

Moved into the new place almost two weeks ago (older and not updated), finally got around to getting my electronics set up, decided to play some Pandora from my Roku and noticed this sound immediately:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZyU1hQQsi8op9g9tAcmRRxsH2TCp_d1I/view?usp=sharing - sorry, it's very faint. I had to turn my laptop speakers up to 100 to hear this.

It was plugged into a UPS, so I instead plugged it into the mains, no change. Plugged it into another outlet with help from a thick, orange outdoor extension cord (15'), same result.

Is this a power/wiring issue? The sound immediately stops if I hit Mute.

If it matters, only the center channel is plugged in right now. The other four aren't yet.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I relocated the control pod and now it's gone. It was next to my wireless router before, probably the culprit. That or it was directly underneath the TV before.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I currently have a Bose Companion 2 series II speaker set (2-channel) for home PC gaming/infotainment use. They're "fine". They're powered and their audio connects directly to the 3.5mm audio out on the back of my PC. I've had them for, I dunno, 10+ years who knows.
this is the set: https://www.amazon.com/Bose-Companion-Multimedia-Speaker-System/dp/B000HZDF8W

I'd like to upgrade from "fine" to "good". I'd also like to continue connecting straight to the PC via wire (not bluetooth) without having to purchase a DAC or amp or whatever. I use the onboard/motherboard audio chipset (for now, at least; and I do try to buy mobos with decent audio chipsets). I do not need a separate subwoofer. Horizontal desk space is at a bit of a premium, so the speakers can't be too big. Preferred price range $100-$300.

What would the thread recommend? Browsing the last several pages, these options stood out:
Edifier R1280T (or R1280DB?)
Audioengine A2+
Kanto Yu2

Would all of those come with the right cord(s) and be able to just jack in to the back of my PC and rock? Any other good speaker recommendations? Anyone want to vouch for a particular set they love? People seem to not like the wirecutter's rec, Mackie CR5-XBT?

thanks.

pmchem fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 20, 2021

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

pmchem posted:

I currently have a Bose Companion 2 series II speaker set (2-channel) for home PC gaming/infotainment use. They're "fine". They're powered and their audio connects directly to the 3.5mm audio out on the back of my PC. I've had them for, I dunno, 10+ years who knows.
this is the set: https://www.amazon.com/Bose-Companion-Multimedia-Speaker-System/dp/B000HZDF8W

I'd like to upgrade from "fine" to "good". I'd also like to continue connecting straight to the PC via wire (not bluetooth) without having to purchase a DAC or amp or whatever. I use the onboard/motherboard audio chipset (for now, at least; and I do try to buy mobos with decent audio chipsets). I do not need a separate subwoofer. Horizontal desk space is at a bit of a premium, so the speakers can't be too big. Preferred price range $100-$300.

What would the thread recommend? Browsing the last several pages, these options stood out:
Edifier R1280T (or R1280DB?)
Audioengine A2+
Kanto Yu2

Would all of those come with the right cord(s) and be able to just jack in to the back of my PC and rock? Any other good speaker recommendations? Anyone want to vouch for a particular set they love? People seem to not like the wirecutter's rec, Mackie CR5-XBT?

thanks.
Looks like they all have cables to connect to 3.5mm, you could even just use the same cable you're using already with the Edifier and Audioengine A2+ (RCA inputs).

Haven't ever seen much about the Kantos, but the Edifier seems like the best smallish speaker deal, while Audioengine is kind of the default choice if you want/need something smaller, but you pay a premium for the size and sacrifice some of the lower end by going that small (vs bigger speakers and/or a sub setup, course you can add a sub to them too). There is some other tiny one that's supposedly better but can't ever remember the name...and uh dumb reason for not wanting it, but it was really ugly last I remember.

The R1280 suffixes seem to be: T = dual RCA (like your current speakers), while DB = more inputs, specifically Bluetooth, optical, and coax, then Ts and DBs (the little "s") add a subwoofer output.

If you want the Audioengine, there's a cheaper option too. The A1 seems to be a cost reduced version of the A2+, like less I/O and cheaper looking casing and such, for $199 vs $279 (or $159 vs $223 on their refurb store).

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

japtor posted:

Sure you're not thinking of the Audioengine A2? Speaking of which, it looks like they have a cheaper A1 nowadays too. Seems to be less fancy looking and less input options, $160 on their refurb store, vs $223 for the A2+.

In any case...yeah the tiny speaker options are pretty limited, and above your "under ~150" range. The cheaper good ones are just a bit bigger like the Edifier, which isn't that big. Definitely bigger but not like it's a big speaker itself, so make sure on the dimensions being too big before blowing an extra $50-100 for tiny speakers. (I got the A2s cause space way back so understand the tiny speaker dilemma)

Thanks for this - I got the A2s and they are by far the best desktop speakers I’ve ever owned. The sound is perfectly balanced for my listening, which varies from hip-hop to classical to experimental. They’re the perfect replacement for my old Bose Companion 2 Series III’s, which I hated for music because of the godawful boomy bass. And they fit just right on my tiny standing desk.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I had some Logitech Z200's that made it to a different PC. I mostly use headphones but wouldn't mind a Sub 100 dollar sound bar or stereo speakers that are decent. Otherwise I'll just buy some Z200's again but they seem a bit more than I paid for them awhile ago.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I relocated the control pod and now it's gone. It was next to my wireless router before, probably the culprit. That or it was directly underneath the TV before.

Yeah, that's just weak shielding on the wires causing interference most likely. When I was a kid the logitech speakers on my Pentium would sometimes pick up the police band.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Thanks for this - I got the A2s and they are by far the best desktop speakers I’ve ever owned. The sound is perfectly balanced for my listening, which varies from hip-hop to classical to experimental. They’re the perfect replacement for my old Bose Companion 2 Series III’s, which I hated for music because of the godawful boomy bass. And they fit just right on my tiny standing desk.
Cool, glad they worked out...meanwhile I added a godawful boomy sub to my setup :v:

Wasn't planning to (unless I could find the Fostex mini sub for cheap) but I was in a Goodwill and saw some small Vizio sub, apparently from some home theater setup. Guy said it needed the rest of the stuff to work but figured I could hack it up, sold it to me for $12. Ended up being a bit more of a pain in the rear end and less clean than originally planned (mostly cause the new amp board I got didn't work with existing PSU board), but it worked. Oh and found out the output on the A2s is variable with the volume knob rather than line level, so had to work around that as well.

But yeah I got the boom boom now. Took a while to figure the right volume for it, even with the tiny woofer it could be overpowering over the A2s and be fatiguing to listen to. Got it dialed in just enough to where it blends in and fills the sound rather than being an obvious separate output.

tater_salad posted:

I had some Logitech Z200's that made it to a different PC. I mostly use headphones but wouldn't mind a Sub 100 dollar sound bar or stereo speakers that are decent. Otherwise I'll just buy some Z200's again but they seem a bit more than I paid for them awhile ago.
Edifier R1280T? $100 on Amazon and recommended a bunch in this thread. There's also variants with more I/O options (wrote about those a few posts up even) if you're open to spending a little more for that.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Dicty Bojangles posted:

I found a pair of brand new Companion 2's at a pawn shop for $50, got them home and they lasted about 4 hours before I "gifted" them to my sister. I've never experienced a speaker so psychotic about unadjustable bass boost. I thought the tweeters were broken.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Yeah that’s my problem, I do enjoy bass at times but when you can’t control it any way other than heavy software EQ that’s a big ole nope for me. I like switching around speakers and headphones, but having to reset the EQ every time I plug in another device is just a pain in the rear end. All the Bose speakers I’ve owned have that same fatty badonkadonk basssss profile without any easy control - great for many, not for me.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
I have a set of Logitech Z-5500's from 2006 (!) that are finally starting to fail on me. Does anyone have recommendations of what to replace them with? I like those Audioengine A2's people are talking about, but I'm looking for something that has a headphone jack I can easily plug in as I do a fair amount of switching back and forth but those don't appear to have that. Same goes for the Kanto YU2's. I guess the price point would be like $200-$250 for just the speakers and then I'd evaluate if I wanted a subwoofer after the fact.

edit: I should also probably mention my current speaker setup is capable of having 5 speakers but I haven't used any more than 2 in the last decade or so.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

PoopShipDestroyer posted:

I have a set of Logitech Z-5500's from 2006 (!) that are finally starting to fail on me. Does anyone have recommendations of what to replace them with? I like those Audioengine A2's people are talking about, but I'm looking for something that has a headphone jack I can easily plug in as I do a fair amount of switching back and forth but those don't appear to have that. Same goes for the Kanto YU2's. I guess the price point would be like $200-$250 for just the speakers and then I'd evaluate if I wanted a subwoofer after the fact.

edit: I should also probably mention my current speaker setup is capable of having 5 speakers but I haven't used any more than 2 in the last decade or so.

There really aren’t any good speakers with integrated headphone jacks.

If you really wanna do it :discourse:, I’d go USB DAC (can be as cheap as $9 or $20) to desktop headphone amp with preamp pass-thru/volume control (JDS Atom or Schiit Magni, $99) to speakers of your choice.

With a volume knob on the headphone amp/pre, you could use desktop monitors like JBL LSR305 mk2 ($99-$150 each) or Adam T5V ($200 each) or Kali LP6($140-200 each) and you probably wouldn’t need a subwoofer.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The audioenigine HD3 has a headphone port and is basically an A2 with front volume knob and some other minor things. The refurb is just above your budget: https://audioengineusa.com/shop/factory-refurbished/hd3-wireless-speakers-refurbished/

The mentioned LSR305 with some kind of preamp is gonna sound great but they are quite large and would be another jump up in budget.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

The Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 still has a headphone jack.

https://www.klipsch.com/products/klipsch-promedia-2-1-thx-certified-computer-speaker

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

my god those things are eternal

that tooling’s been paid off since like 2002

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

To be fair, it's not like there's been many major technical advancements in turning electricity into sound waves since then.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have very limited desk space and would also rather not have a subwoofer. I'm tempted to just buy whatever is cheap and small from Amazon such as the Creative Pebble V2 speakers- but figure I would check to see if anyone has a recommendation. I have been using Sennheiser GameOne headset exclusively and I love them, but I also Zoom 8 hours a day for work and get tired of headphones. Are there any PC soundbars or 2.0 speaker sets that have a small footprint and pretty decent sound?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LuckyCat posted:

I have very limited desk space and would also rather not have a subwoofer. I'm tempted to just buy whatever is cheap and small from Amazon such as the Creative Pebble V2 speakers- but figure I would check to see if anyone has a recommendation. I have been using Sennheiser GameOne headset exclusively and I love them, but I also Zoom 8 hours a day for work and get tired of headphones. Are there any PC soundbars or 2.0 speaker sets that have a small footprint and pretty decent sound?

Audioengine A1, A2/A2+, B2

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Honestly, not 100% sure this is the right thread, but you guys helped me last time, so I’m here again.

I have a set of speakers accepting input from one device. I have another device that I want to also have on the same speakers. Never at the same time, but I think the possibility is naturally there if I’m looking at the right thing.

Would I just need a mixer like this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QDN6Z83/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_80T7VYMJBFPG3MD5RA5J

Just plug the two RCA for one device into inputs 1 and 2, then the RCA for the other device into 3 and 4, then finally get an RCA to 6.35mm cable to connect the speakers themselves into the output?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

Honestly, not 100% sure this is the right thread, but you guys helped me last time, so I’m here again.

I have a set of speakers accepting input from one device. I have another device that I want to also have on the same speakers. Never at the same time, but I think the possibility is naturally there if I’m looking at the right thing.

Would I just need a mixer like this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QDN6Z83/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_80T7VYMJBFPG3MD5RA5J

Just plug the two RCA for one device into inputs 1 and 2, then the RCA for the other device into 3 and 4, then finally get an RCA to 6.35mm cable to connect the speakers themselves into the output?
Conceptually yeah, just need a 2 channel mixer. For that one in particular if you need RCA in/out, you'd need some cable adapters, looks like RCA to 1/4" TRS stereo jack would work, something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-YPR-102-Stereo-Breakout-Cable/dp/B000068O4W/

There's also minijack or straight up RCA mixers too. In my recent AliExpress adventures for my setup I got this 2 in 2 out mixer (which worked with this USB power cable, ymmv on those things):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001694777010.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-Power-Plug-USB-Convert-To-5-5-2-5mm-DC-5-5x2-5-White-Black/4000215208392.html

They make a 4 way mixer with RCA in/out that should work for you:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001855051078.html

I saw a bunch of basic 2-1 mixers before when I was looking for that 2-2 one (which took forever to find), it'd be perfect and simpler but can't find them for the life of me right now for whatever reason :psyduck:

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

japtor posted:

Conceptually yeah, just need a 2 channel mixer. For that one in particular if you need RCA in/out, you'd need some cable adapters, looks like RCA to 1/4" TRS stereo jack would work, something like this:

There's also minijack or straight up RCA mixers too. In my recent AliExpress adventures for my setup I got this 2 in 2 out mixer (which worked with this USB power cable, ymmv on those things):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001694777010.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-Power-Plug-USB-Convert-To-5-5-2-5mm-DC-5-5x2-5-White-Black/4000215208392.html

They make a 4 way mixer with RCA in/out that should work for you:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001855051078.html

I saw a bunch of basic 2-1 mixers before when I was looking for that 2-2 one (which took forever to find), it'd be perfect and simpler but can't find them for the life of me right now for whatever reason :psyduck:

I think somewhere in this whole arrangement I may have gotten or done the wrong thing. I can only get audio out of one speaker.

I have the mixer I linked above, the output cable from the mixer to the speakers is this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D5H8JW0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Paired with a TRS adapter to make it actually fit:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D82XXGO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And in inputs 1 and 2 on the mixer, I have the male ends of this cable:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZKM3S4S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Yet when I plug something in, I only hear audio out of one of the speakers. Switching the cables from input 1 and 2 to 2 and 1 or any other arrangement just switches which speaker gets audio. When switching the cables plugged into the left and right channels, it naturally just switches which speaker plays audio.

Where did I fumble here?

edit:

japtor posted:

Re-reading back on japtor's post, I probably would need one of these, if I'm understanding right.

edit 2:

Yeah, that's the problem. I'm a dumbass -- I have a 4 channel mixer right here at my desk and it works fine, I know how it works, I don't know why I thought this one would work differently. Apologies for wasting time.

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 7, 2022

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I have a cheap Logitech z313 setup that kind of sucks. Adjusting the volume produces static and sometimes cuts out the left speaker. I have a scarlett 2i2 interface for my headphones and mic, would the logical upgrade for me be to replace the z313 with a pair of JBL 305PMKIIs and use my scarlett 2i2 with them?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

bi crimes posted:

I have a cheap Logitech z313 setup that kind of sucks. Adjusting the volume produces static and sometimes cuts out the left speaker. I have a scarlett 2i2 interface for my headphones and mic, would the logical upgrade for me be to replace the z313 with a pair of JBL 305PMKIIs and use my scarlett 2i2 with them?

:bisonyes:

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just get out a tape measure and make sure they'll work with your setup first as they're bigger than you might imagine.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

powderific posted:

Just get out a tape measure and make sure they'll work with your setup first as they're bigger than you might imagine.

I can make it work, they're pretty big but luckily I have a relatively deep and wide desk

I currently use my Scarlett 2i2 interface with my macbook and my PC, but I also do console gaming at my desk. I connect my lovely z313 logitech directly into my monitor's audiojack, and get sound that way. If I replace my z313 with the studio monitor setup for all of my sound needs, could I route the sound through my monitor's audio jack? The PC and macbook recognize my scarlett 2i2 via USB, but my xbox and nintendo switch don't. I'd prefer to route my sound through whatever is active on my display monitor at any given time.

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Would buying a mixer make sense? I would run the Aux out from my monitor's headphone jack to the mixer, and then run from the mixer to the speakers. This would let me output whatever audio is active on the monitor at any given moment. IDK if I'm being a dumbass, I just want as simple as a setup as I can get for all of the different devices I use at my desk