Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

RBC posted:

still 100k below the average canadian house price lmao

That's a $650k mortage, so probably around a $765k purchase price if I did my math right. But that's only for Victoria, Toronto and Vancouver so still well, WELL below average.

Y'all talk about this only being for the rich but it's aimed at people that can't even afford an average house!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
I was more just pointing out how insane prices have gotten. And just how much the government just absolutely does not care.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

RBC posted:

I was more just pointing out how insane prices have gotten. And just how much the government just absolutely does not care.

Going by this it seems like they do care: they want them to go higher!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

RBC posted:

ive seen upwards of 10x average household income in guelph lmao

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
The feds are giving homeowners $5k to make energy efficient retrofits on their houses.

While a drop in the bucket compared to everything else, I'd sure like a cheque too please. I'm just a filthy renter but I could buy some solar panels with it and put them on my balcony maybe, idk.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

The feds are giving homeowners $5k to make energy efficient retrofits on their houses.

While a drop in the bucket compared to everything else, I'd sure like a cheque too please. I'm just a filthy renter but I could buy some solar panels with it and put them on my balcony maybe, idk.

If you're living in an apartment you're already being like 4 times more efficient than any of the suburban mcmansion owners who will blow that $5k helping pay for a new "efficient heat pump" i.e. air conditioning.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Meanwhile subsidized housing in Toronto has a 25-to-30-year wait list.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

RBC posted:

the electorate are olds who are home owners, they think this whole thing is a boon for them cuz now they are "millionaires"

rocket_rocket_moon.jpg

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Typo posted:

the electorate are olds who are home owners, they think this whole thing is a boon for them cuz now they are "millionaires"

rocket_rocket_moon.jpg

There is some serious inter-generational warfare brewing now that the number of retirees to workers is heading for 1:2. If the olds think the young are going to keep paying for everything, I think they are fooling themselves. Healthcare and long term care are paid from current tax dollars; why should young people be stuck with the bill for the inability of the olds to plan?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

There is some serious inter-generational warfare brewing now that the number of retirees to workers is heading for 1:2. If the olds think the young are going to keep paying for everything, I think they are fooling themselves. Healthcare and long term care are paid from current tax dollars; why should young people be stuck with the bill for the inability of the olds to plan?

on radio just yesterday CARP or w/e had an ad which basically went

"you millennials keep blaming us boomers for lost opportunities but DAE boomers can't afford anything because they still need to support you millennials???"

the dude reading the lines sounded pissed when he said it too

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Typo posted:

"you millennials keep blaming us boomers for lost opportunities but DAE boomers can't afford anything because they still need to support you millennials???"

The boomers own most of the assets and are responsible for the policies that have been implemented in the last twenty years. It doesn't matter, because when decisions are made on funding health care, they're going to reap what they have sown. There are a LOT of angry, pissed off millennials that feel completely screwed over, because they are. If they think we're all going to foot the bill for them, watch out. They're in for a shock.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Typo posted:

Hah! The millenials fortunate enough to ask their own family for help are getting help. The boomers getting help is through government policy.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Purgatory Glory posted:

Hah! The millenials fortunate enough to ask their own family for help are getting help. The boomers getting help is through government policy.

You can ask your family, but that doesn't mean they're in a position to help. Mine aren't, so when I asked (just for laughs), I got what was expected (more laughter).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You can ask your family, but that doesn't mean they're in a position to help. Mine aren't, so when I asked (just for laughs), I got what was expected (more laughter).

If you can figure out a way to mime the request it could be an all-new gag they feature on the Just for Laughs candid camera show.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The boomers own most of the assets and are responsible for the policies that have been implemented in the last twenty years. It doesn't matter, because when decisions are made on funding health care, they're going to reap what they have sown. There are a LOT of angry, pissed off millennials that feel completely screwed over, because they are. If they think we're all going to foot the bill for them, watch out. They're in for a shock.

This isn't going to happen for a while, the olds are still by far the biggest voting bloc and policy will continue to be in their favour until they either start dying or stop voting. Until then, they will just keep voting to gently caress over young people to pay for their expensive homes, expensive pensions, and their expensive healthcare. Even then, GenX are only marginally less loving stupid than boomers. There isn't really a good opportunity for the millenials and below to stick it to them within the next twenty years.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Vancouver Green Councillor Pete Fry is such a pedant he's gonna do something dumb that's gonna result in less non-profit housing getting built.

quote:

Vancouver councillor says many cannot afford non-market homes in “problematic” definition of social housing

Vancouver councillor Pete Fry says that the city’s definition of social housing doesn’t translate to affordable homes for many people.

The Green councillor noted that this is the reason why he continues to push for a new meaning, so everyone knows it’s about affordable housing.

“The definition is problematic and it needs work,” Fry told the Straight in a phone interview.

To illustrate his point, the councillor went over the city’s definition. The term refers to an entire development, wherein 30 percent of units are for residents who cannot afford market rents and the rest of the 70 percent are rented out for as high as the market can bear.

To qualify for the 30 percent of the units, a household should have an income at or below the so-called housing income limits or HILs determined on an annual basis by B.C. Housing.

HILs vary from city to city, and for 2021, the HILs for Vancouver are as follows: $55,500 for a one-bedroom unit or studio; $67,500, two bedrooms; $78,000, three bedrooms; and $83,500, four bedrooms.

Using 30 percent of income as a standard for affordable housing, a housing income limit of $55,500 for a one bedroom or studio translates to a monthly rent of about $1,387.

“We know that the median income for a single person in Vancouver is close to $40,000 a year,” Fry noted. “We’re not really meeting that basic kind of affordability metric through the definition of social housing right now.”

On June 2, 2020, council approved Fry’s motion, directing staff to report back with a proposed new definition of social housing.

Fry’s motion also instructed city planners to “consider alternatives that refer specifically and only to non-market affordable rental or co-op housing”.

It took almost a year before council received feedback in the form of a memo from Gil Kelley, who was then the city’s top planner. Kelley is no longer employed with the city.

In the memo dated March 5, 2021, Kelley identified “several issues” that may arise from council’s directive to “explore a narrower definition”. This means “all the units in the building would be affordable to households with income levels that are not sufficient to find acceptable housing in the private market”.

Kelley cited as one example concerns from the “community housing sector that a narrower definition of social housing could result in a reduction of development applications for new non-market housing”. This is because applications may “not meet the narrower definition at the outset of the project, even if the development might qualify for additional funding to deepen affordability later on”.

“Partners noted that new non-market housing might be able to proceed under a narrower definition of social housing when significant senior government funding is available to fund deeper levels of affordability,” Kelley also wrote.

In the interview, Fry said that Kelly’s memo was “basically saying, ‘Well, it’s complicated.’ ”

“I still believe that there’s more work that could be done,” Fry said.

The non-profit community sector, not big bad developers, the non-profits, are saying that they won't be able to build non-profit housing if the definition of "affordable" housing gets narrowed, and still Pete shrugs and thinks this is a good idea.

City of Vancouver's policies are tuned to enable the development of whatever BC Housing and Federal incentives enable. The issue here isn't CoV policy, but rather that BC/Feds aren't subsidizing more to enable even further more subsidized housing units. Whenever that happens, then the CoV can adjust its policies.

What does Fry hope to accomplish by moving to a system where the city won't incentivize, or perhaps even won't allow development unless the "affordable housing" component is priced at a level that non-profit housing developers assert is unviable even to them? The end result is that the math doesn't add up, the project doesn't work and no housing gets built at all.

This is coming off the heels of Fry's "No" vote on Councillor Boyle's failed motion to support non-profit housing with higher heights and a streamlined development process to enable more lower priced housing.

quote:

Boyle’s motion looked to build on council’s decision last month to approve bylaw amendments, as recommended by city staff, to fast-track social housing in certain apartment zones of the city, by allowing non-profit housing providers to build up to six storeys without going through rezoning, which adds significant additional time, cost and uncertainty.

There was controversy facing the six-storey proposal from some areas, including parts of Mount Pleasant, Kitsilano, Grandview-Woodland, and Marpole. Some residents said eliminating the requirement for a rezoning removed too much transparency and public participation from the process.

But non-profits were unanimous in their comments to council last month: Although they supported fast-tracking six-storey projects, they wanted the proposal to go higher and further. Boyle’s new motion essentially sought to do that.

First, Boyle’s motion sought to direct staff to review the possibility of increasing to 12 storeys in those apartment zones. The motion would also direct staff to report on considerations to allow some amount of additional height and density for social housing in other zones of the city — including mixed commercial-residential areas and low-density neighbourhoods currently dominated by single detached houses and duplexes.

The proposal failed by a vote of seven to three. Along with Boyle, independent Mayor Kennedy Stewart and COPE Coun. Jean Swanson voted in support.

Green councillors Adriane Carr and Pete Fry opposed it, as did all five councillors elected with the Non-Partisan Association: Hardwick, Melissa De Genova, Rebecca Bligh, Lisa Dominato, and Sarah Kirby-Yung (all but De Genova have since quit the NPA to sit as independents). Wiebe recused himself again, for the same reason he did for last month’s vote concerning the same areas of the city.

Following the motion’s defeat, Boyle said she looks forward to hearing tangible proposals from her council colleagues that confront the scale of the housing crisis.

“Part of what I find frustrating is the lack of alternative options,” Boyle said. “If you’re not going to support this, what else are you putting on the table that’s going to get us where we need to be?”

Boyle raises a good point to direct at Fry. How does Fry's voting pattern and "affordable housing" pedantry help? I don't see how anything Fry is doing produces any more lower priced housing or helps non-profits. It's more endlessly waiting for some "perfect" solution that isn't going to appear, and meanwhile keeping with the status quo that is terrible.

It's become common to see public commentators and councillors be against for-profit condo developments because they "aren't affordable enough" but wild to see the same people shrug and continue with the opposition even when the proposal on the table is changed to be about purely non-profit social housing. Now somehow despite a development being non-profit social housing it's still "not affordable enough" or some other new nebulous concern.

It seems more likely that there's actually nothing that could appease these people that are simply against new buildings because of the heights.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 3, 2021

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

qhat posted:

This isn't going to happen for a while, the olds are still by far the biggest voting bloc and policy will continue to be in their favour until they either start dying or stop voting. Until then, they will just keep voting to gently caress over young people to pay for their expensive homes, expensive pensions, and their expensive healthcare. Even then, GenX are only marginally less loving stupid than boomers. There isn't really a good opportunity for the millenials and below to stick it to them within the next twenty years.

What you describe is certainly possible, but the factors that otherwise contribute to a docile populace are starting to falter. If you can’t have a family, a secure job, a place to live, you are much more susceptible to populism. This is basically what has happened with Trump to the south. If the Conservatives had a brain, they double down on intergenerational warfare with a side of social conservatism as their go forward strategy. Bad for society as a whole but the boomers clearly don’t care, why should millennials?

The other thing to know about health care is that regardless of what the boomers want, the people aren’t there to deliver the care anymore. We are seeing unprecedented vacancies across all professions, with the COVID-19 burnout accelerating retirements. The system is in deep trouble and there is no obvious solution. Boomers chose not to train an adequate supply of people to care for them. They’re going to pay a big price.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

The Vancouver Green councilors are basically NPA (conservatives) in disguise.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

What you describe is certainly possible, but the factors that otherwise contribute to a docile populace are starting to falter. If you can’t have a family, a secure job, a place to live, you are much more susceptible to populism. This is basically what has happened with Trump to the south. If the Conservatives had a brain, they double down on intergenerational warfare with a side of social conservatism as their go forward strategy. Bad for society as a whole but the boomers clearly don’t care, why should millennials?

The other thing to know about health care is that regardless of what the boomers want, the people aren’t there to deliver the care anymore. We are seeing unprecedented vacancies across all professions, with the COVID-19 burnout accelerating retirements. The system is in deep trouble and there is no obvious solution. Boomers chose not to train an adequate supply of people to care for them. They’re going to pay a big price.

Alberta will see a second wave of inmoving when large amounts of people all realize its the one province where your parents cant force you to pay for em.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Alctel posted:

:hmmyes:

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Alctel posted:

where are the greens not conservatives in disguise? I'll admit that they were able to run to the NDP's left in the last federal election but that's more an indictment of the NDP, and it's easy to do when there's no chance of winning.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Truman Peyote posted:

where are the greens not conservatives in disguise? I'll admit that they were able to run to the NDP's left in the last federal election but that's more an indictment of the NDP, and it's easy to do when there's no chance of winning.

Agreed (although provincially it really depends which green candidate you look at, they are all over the map) but the Vancouver councillors are even worse, they basically vote with the NPA almost all the time

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

The Vancouver municipal Greens seem to have gotten a big bounce from Vancouver voters getting tired of big Vision majorities. What the Greens actually stand for is completely nebulous.

This environmentalist party, unlike also environmentalist Vision, votes against contentious housing and bike lane stances. Fry's recent motion to further pedestrianize Commercial Drive for example went to great pains to not include new cycling infrastructure, but made special notes to "maintain and improve on-street parking spaces to support local businesses." This was in opposition to the years of grass roots activist work that had been building the consensus to remake Commercial as a "complete street" with dedicated, safe and separated cycling lanes. This was an active choice by Fry here to push cycling advocates out of the way and close the door on bike lanes.

At the upcoming council meeting Carr has a motion on the table to ban gas powered leaf blowers. I can get behind that for sure, but this is indicative of the limits of Green Party environmentalist ideology. 70s/80s era thinking where environmentalism is about recycling, planting trees and feel good local projects. Bigger picture systemic change thinking like taking cars off the road by supporting active transportation and building dense housing isn't part of it.

Vision has made some noises about a return to old donors and honestly despite their many, many flaws I hope they come roaring back and stomp the Greens.

(An even better, though more unlikely alternative would be OneCity picking up some more seats and a seat for socialist Derrick O'Keefe, who nearly got on council for COPE, and seems to me from his twitter page a tad more sensible and pragmatic than Swanson)

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 3, 2021

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Truman Peyote posted:

There was a long-standing conspiracy theory that right wingers have been signing Green party cheques since day 1 as a vote-splitter, but I've never seen anything solid on it.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

stillvisions posted:

There was a long-standing conspiracy theory that right wingers have been signing Green party cheques since day 1 as a vote-splitter, but I've never seen anything solid on it.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/new-b-c-liberal-ad-highlights-green-party-1.1324141

The BC Liberals are probably the shadiest provincial party in the country, and I don't say that lightly.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Femtosecond posted:

The Vancouver municipal Greens seem to have gotten a big bounce from Vancouver voters getting tired of big Vision majorities. What the Greens actually stand for is completely nebulous.

This environmentalist party, unlike also environmentalist Vision, votes against contentious housing and bike lane stances. Fry's recent motion to further pedestrianize Commercial Drive for example went to great pains to not include new cycling infrastructure, but made special notes to "maintain and improve on-street parking spaces to support local businesses." This was in opposition to the years of grass roots activist work that had been building the consensus to remake Commercial as a "complete street" with dedicated, safe and separated cycling lanes. This was an active choice by Fry here to push cycling advocates out of the way and close the door on bike lanes.

At the upcoming council meeting Carr has a motion on the table to ban gas powered leaf blowers. I can get behind that for sure, but this is indicative of the limits of Green Party environmentalist ideology. 70s/80s era thinking where environmentalism is about recycling, planting trees and feel good local projects. Bigger picture systemic change thinking like taking cars off the road by supporting active transportation and building dense housing isn't part of it.

Vision has made some noises about a return to old donors and honestly despite their many, many flaws I hope they come roaring back and stomp the Greens.

(An even better, though more unlikely alternative would be OneCity picking up some more seats and a seat for socialist Derrick O'Keefe, who nearly got on council for COPE, and seems to me from his twitter page a tad more sensible and pragmatic than Swanson)

Yeah all of this. That Commercial Drive motion was co-submitted with Melissa De Genova, who is a festering tumour on Vancouver city politics.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

it's ok I'll just ride my bike in the middle of the one car lane once they finish that commercial drive revamp. I'll make sure to go real slow too, for safety

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The real hustlers drive up Victoria instead of commercial, anyway.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

Femtosecond posted:

Fry's recent motion to further pedestrianize Commercial Drive for example went to great pains to not include new cycling infrastructure, but made special notes to "maintain and improve on-street parking spaces to support local businesses." This was in opposition to the years of grass roots activist work that had been building the consensus to remake Commercial as a "complete street" with dedicated, safe and separated cycling lanes. This was an active choice by Fry here to push cycling advocates out of the way and close the door on bike lanes.

I volunteer with a Active Transportation and Car Free advocacy organisation in Vancouver and the Commercial Drive BIA seems hold outsized power over what happens along the street. We talk to City Counsellors about this stuff all the time and they always seem super supportive and interested in hearing what we have to say, but when it comes to Commercial Drive, the BIA somehow always gets what it wants. I don't know what the deal is, but the Italian Day festival they put on always seems to get a pass for their nonexistent garbage and site cleanup plan as well.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Why the actual gently caress would you not build bike lanes on a street that you are trying to 'pedestrianize'

It makes literally zero sense, especially for something like Commercial that is filled with people who live nearby going to restaurants, shops etc.

I don't actually get the massive, sustained resistance from a segment of the population against bike lanes. It literally is better for an area in every way, reducing congestion, increasing foot traffic through local shops and generally being a lot nicer area to wander around it. In the local paper here, half of the letters page is filled up day after day with people complaining about our bike lanes

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

qhat posted:

The real hustlers drive up Victoria Nanaimo instead of commercial, anyway.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Femtosecond posted:

I'm a OneCity member and did a lot of door-knocking and canvassing for them in the last election. On the one hand, the last month or so has been frustrating as our elected people have been voted down on all of the high profile, decent poo poo that has crossed their desks. on the other hand, it will hopefully make the contrast between us and the greens much easier to argue next year.

I just hope we have more candidates this time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alctel posted:

Why the actual gently caress would you not build bike lanes on a street that you are trying to 'pedestrianize'

It makes literally zero sense, especially for something like Commercial that is filled with people who live nearby going to restaurants, shops etc.

I don't actually get the massive, sustained resistance from a segment of the population against bike lanes. It literally is better for an area in every way, reducing congestion, increasing foot traffic through local shops and generally being a lot nicer area to wander around it. In the local paper here, half of the letters page is filled up day after day with people complaining about our bike lanes

As a fairly new driver I adore streets with real bike lanes. Eliminates practically all the anxiety of driving with cyclists.

But there are a lot of people who hate cyclists in general or they hate (/misunderstand) space being given to purposes other than lanes for cars.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The biggest shock coming to boomers and it’s already happening is what happens when they say “I pay your salary” at a retirement or LTC home. No matter how expensive the home is you can’t afford private nursing and you / your family will be told it right quick if the nurse threatens to leave.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

deGenova almost lost the last election. Don't let her get elected again. She's also married to a loving cop.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

half cocaine posted:

deGenova almost lost the last election. Don't let her get elected again. She's also married to a loving cop.

I wish that first part were true, but she got the third-most votes of any councillor, and the most of any councillor who wasn't a Green.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Vancouver_municipal_election

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

half cocaine posted:

she also wastes all her time on pointless pro-italian motions.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It's almost like her job is to keep the council dysfunctional so that a left wing agenda and/or tax increases never seem to come to pass.

Almost like her job is to be as dumb and fractious and slow as possible.

Hmmmmmm.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Franks Happy Place posted:

It's almost like her job is to keep the council dysfunctional so that a left wing agenda and/or tax increases never seem to come to pass.

Almost like her job is to be as dumb and fractious and slow as possible.

Hmmmmmm.

Yeah that was basically her job on the Park Board before she ascended to Council. Throw procedural wrenches in the works and manufacture outrage over irrelevant bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Truman Peyote posted:

I'm a OneCity member and did a lot of door-knocking and canvassing for them in the last election. On the one hand, the last month or so has been frustrating as our elected people have been voted down on all of the high profile, decent poo poo that has crossed their desks. on the other hand, it will hopefully make the contrast between us and the greens much easier to argue next year.

I just hope we have more candidates this time.

Vancouver sucks, just signed up to volunteer with OneCity and make it less terrible maybe? I THINK that makes your post officially Praxis(Tm)