Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Defiance Industries posted:

So what you're saying is that Croberts also doesn't understand WWII.

Yeah but he wants Luke jumping into a turret to blow up some Tie fighters coming in too fast, so there's that.

But basically yes, the Pacific War or the Air War over Germany doesn't really translate easily into space games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Imagined posted:

I mean, CliffyB is a bit of a joke of a human being and coasted on his 90s cred for over a decade without doing anything new worth noting, but the dude was the designer on Unreal and Unreal Tournament. That's not nothing.

UT is pretty eh and I didn;t realize Unreal was ever a thing. Looks basically like Duke Nukem 3D but more advanced graphics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTRmZ6aFEWM
Dunno if I'd rush to go play Unreal today but it certainly looks more fun and more cohesive than Star Citizen ever has.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

nm

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
I man my turret. I am one of many. A horde of gunners throwing projectiles into space. I am immersed in the dream, the vision, the next gen experience. I toil at my turret. I spin wildly to follow the jittering mess that are my opponents. I squeeze the trigger and feel the recoil. I rejoice as I am shot into space as the physics of this beautiful world reveal themselves to me. I disconnect, and I breath a sigh of relief as the combat is over and I am overcome with waves of cerebral pleasure. I only wish that you could afford to join me.

o7

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Khanstant posted:

UT is pretty eh and I didn;t realize Unreal was ever a thing. Looks basically like Duke Nukem 3D but more advanced graphics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTRmZ6aFEWM
Dunno if I'd rush to go play Unreal today but it certainly looks more fun and more cohesive than Star Citizen ever has.

If you had a spiffy 3dfx graphics card Unreal was just crushingly better graphics wise than anything else at the time. It wasn't even close. If I recall it was the game originally, the engine being sold to the companies came after. It was single player only too, until Unreal Tournament came out I think a year later.

At the time is was absolutely a blast.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Imagined posted:

I mean, CliffyB is a bit of a joke of a human being and coasted on his 90s cred for over a decade without doing anything new worth noting, but the dude was the designer on Unreal and Unreal Tournament. That's not nothing.

IDK, he was a designer on Unreal and Unreal Tournament but so were lots of others. We have a tendency to ascribe all of a game's direction to one person and that's just not how games are made, almost ever.

CliffyB was a level designer first and foremost, game designer second. He probably had a few ideas about guns in unreal but how much of unreal tournament was even groundbreaking design wise? Lots of other people were doing doom clones around then, the engine and technology were a big part of Unreal. (Same with Quake)

We gotta treat games as the product of a village and not get into the auture theory stuff.

The big thing I remember about CliffyB was there was some Unreal 2k4 behind the scenes video showing everybody hard at work in their cubicles, and when it got to CliffyB he put on a big grin and showed off how the thing he was working on at the time was approving the boob sizes of the female characters. ("Go bigger!" was his design note)

Khanstant posted:

:stonk:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Turok 64, now there's an FPS. Got a bow, got triangles to pick up, there are dinosaurs AND aliens.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Thinking about ship crews made me remember that in Eve Online all the ships have crews. You the pilot are an immortal effectively but your crew are just dudes who all die when your ship blows up.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's fun to pop into this thread roughly every 3,000-4,000 posts and see how absolutely nothing has changed about the game

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Namaste
https://i.imgur.com/hJZytgM.mp4
(sound)

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

What, you've never seen Unobtanium laced ice cream cones? It's all the rage in the future.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

IronicDongz posted:

it's fun to pop into this thread roughly every 3,000-4,000 posts and see how absolutely nothing has changed about the game

The game spins in frightening new ways, the disturbing rotations fill me with glee, they propel me, onwards, upwards, it raises my eyebrows as the stars reveal themselves in the endless black. My wallet opens, and a butterfly flutters away. I have my jpegs. I am found.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I did not know that amphibious assault ships were their own thing and I find them pretty awesome. I remember that I had a model of one of them when I was like 6 or 7 years old and super into aircraft. The fact that they're small and have a big hole for boats makes them super cool imo.

If we *have* to theorycraft on carrier ships in Star Citizen, consider the possibility that the 500 om board may just be the skeleton crew. Or maybe in the future ships are very large but light on terms of both mass and personnel, seeing that in space travel every kilo counts. So maybe it's just a giant floating hangar that is otherwise relatively empty.

Next I'm gonna derail the thread into discussing a version of the future where battlemechs are actually very logical and realistic, and furthermore

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Mr.Tophat posted:

I man my turret. I am one of many. A horde of gunners throwing projectiles into space. I am immersed in the dream, the vision, the next gen experience. I toil at my turret. I spin wildly to follow the jittering mess that are my opponents. I squeeze the trigger and feel the recoil. I rejoice as I am shot into space as the physics of this beautiful world reveal themselves to me. I disconnect, and I breath a sigh of relief as the combat is over and I am overcome with waves of cerebral pleasure. I only wish that you could afford to join me.

o7

This is my photon greeble turret. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

orcane posted:

imagine every modern navy ship's CIWS as a manned turret :laffo:

not only that, each one must be manually reloaded and the ammo carried over by a loader (which must be driven) from across the ship, sourced from the ammo bay (which must also be manned, as ammo must also loaded onto each loader).

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Mr.Tophat posted:

o7

Mr.Tophat posted:

The game spins in frightening new ways, the disturbing rotations fill me with glee, they propel me, onwards, upwards, it raises my eyebrows as the stars reveal themselves in the endless black. My wallet opens, and a butterfly flutters away. I have my jpegs. I am found.

Ladies and gentleman, Mr. Tophat.

Groshlak
Jan 9, 2021
Mr TopHat knows the good stuff, it's pretty clear. I'll have some of it too.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

IMO, CIG has a very different set of goals than most other game development studios. Well, I guess perhaps their ultimate goal is the same, but CIG appears to go about it in a very different way.

And today, on Bizarro World:

quote:

This is true. From the beginning CR developed the game in a way that if funding silently stopped, he would be able to manage to get something out the door before running out. This was back in the day where other kickstarters assumed funding would continue and ended up going bankrupt without the ability to put anything out because funding stopped.

That left them doing things in a way that would lead to dead ends in capability. An example of that would be ED. That is why they effectively started over in 2016 to make item 2.0 which is now star engine.

So, as far as programming is concerned. I would put us 5 years into the timescale of making a large sequel to a small game.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Lord Stimperor posted:

I did not know that amphibious assault ships were their own thing and I find them pretty awesome. I remember that I had a model of one of them when I was like 6 or 7 years old and super into aircraft. The fact that they're small and have a big hole for boats makes them super cool imo.

If we *have* to theorycraft on carrier ships in Star Citizen, consider the possibility that the 500 om board may just be the skeleton crew. Or maybe in the future ships are very large but light on terms of both mass and personnel, seeing that in space travel every kilo counts. So maybe it's just a giant floating hangar that is otherwise relatively empty.

Next I'm gonna derail the thread into discussing a version of the future where battlemechs are actually very logical and realistic, and furthermore

While it's fun to theory craft here is what we know for sure

CIG has a development team that is large enough to crew there from fictional space carrier and in 10 years they have produced only produced an exterior model that crashes the sever when loaded. Their own artists have to catch a tram just to get across the model to start work every morning and they have not even started layering in the code for the pipes.

I see you question how this all weighs less than a puff smoke when so much work has gone into it and it's a good question. You see if you followed development closely you'd know it's not even a puff of smoke it's a reflection of a puff of smoke, all the mass is in the gold plated mirror they are reflecting the puff of smoke off. Allowing the smoke to be any mass you need it to be when you go to buy it.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

trucutru posted:

quote:

This is true. From the beginning CR developed the game in a way that if funding silently stopped, he would be able to manage to get something out the door before running out. This was back in the day where other kickstarters assumed funding would continue and ended up going bankrupt without the ability to put anything out because funding stopped.

That left them doing things in a way that would lead to dead ends in capability. An example of that would be ED. That is why they effectively started over in 2016 to make item 2.0 which is now star engine.

So, as far as programming is concerned. I would put us 5 years into the timescale of making a large sequel to a small game

This has to be the most incredible display of mental gymnastics I have read in years, if not ever.

Kick starters always had minimum funding goals and funding cut of dates. No one ever assumed they had unlimited money or went broke because the donation stream dries up, they fail to deliver on budget and cannot bridge the gap.

Chris created his own platform so he could take Kickstarts cut for himself, and allow ongoing funding because he could not complete what was promised without going bankrupt.

Chris claims he had enough money to finish development, he also claimed 3.0 would be done in weeks and needed a loan for 70 million.

But all this makes it ok to piss up 5 years of work!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
:reddit: SC apparently has a nutshot animation, who knew right?

https://v.redd.it/kasvpl012m271/DASH_480.mp4

Deskeletonized
Mar 24, 2021

Dwesa posted:

Lurking in the chamber, castration on its mind

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Dwesa posted:

I thought this was the waiting for a tram animation or was that the butt shot one?

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

trucutru posted:

And today, on Bizarro World:

I am insanely amused that someone is thinking ED is at ends of capability, when their walking tech is already like 1,000,000 % more reliable than SC's in terms of random collision glitches killing you. Imagine, Elite Dangerous has ramps you can walk on and they don't kill you.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

I am insanely amused that someone is thinking ED is at ends of capability, when their walking tech is already like 1,000,000 % more reliable than SC's in terms of random collision glitches killing you. Imagine, Elite Dangerous has ramps you can walk on and they don't kill you.

I just love the idea that a Cry Engine 3 mmo in 2021 is absolutely not a dead-end in capability.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Flannelette posted:

I thought this was the waiting for a tram animation or was that the butt shot one?
Nut shot seems to be more elaborate and slower than butt shot

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Yes, but are ED's elevators fully physicalized with elevator panels that took at least year or two to design? Can you buy hot dogs at coffee stands in ED? Checkmate!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

SC is trending on /r/gaming again!

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/npnuta/if_anyone_was_wondering_how_far_star_citizen/

Uh, this is good for SC... Right?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

quote:

I had a project lead who spent close to 10k on this game and was adamant it was going to come out soon (5 years ago lol). Long story short they fumbled being a project lead and it lead to the cancellation of the project we were working on.

Star Citizen has become a question i now use to vet employers / clients.

:gary:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Separating the fans from the common rabble posted:

A simple yes or no question with a simple yes or no answer. Did you visit the washroom on your trip through the Javelin? Hint if you ask the question what washroom the answer would be no. Second bonus question who was able to get behind the locked doors, and should we tell the uninitiated what we found behind them?

quote:

Are...are we gatekeeping on if people went to the bathrooms on the Javelin?

dejapes
Jan 4, 2020
Imagine deriving pride and status from a half-baked 'tour' of a four-digit priced digital asset for a perpetually unfinished game in development hell. Further, imagine using glitches in the buggy tour to gatekeep the "uninitiated."

Many people seek space sims for the fantasy of flying freely among the stars with the universe opening up for you, whether you're engaged in wide-eyed exploration, tense deep void dogfights or freebooting, swashbuckling shenanigans. The 'fantasy' of Star Citizen is looking down at the peasants while you reign from a throne built out of credit card receipts.

dejapes fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 1, 2021

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Star Citizen: Glitching my way to the shitter

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

What you're missing (glossing over?) is that SC physics isn't sprinkled here or there, it's intrinsic to the mesh of the entire sandbox simulation. No slight to DCS, but there is no interaction with single blades of grass, no leaving of footprints in snowy terrain, no being buffeted by the wind, no knockdown/back effect from a grenade, the list goes on, and on, and on.

And any other game may have one or two, but they don't have all that I mentioned in a single game, and I could expand that list for quite a long time.

To not acknowledge how far above any other game the totality of this system is within star citizen is either (a) not understanding it or (b) see (a).

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Also from that thread:

quote:

I remember my lecturer telling us about how he spent £600+ on this game about 8 years ago. Back then I thought it was stupid, but now I feel like I'm not properly qualified to do what I'm doing

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Star Citizen vs DCS for simulator excellence and believing that DCS comes in second.

Hang on, prepping my argument:
:laffo::lol::lmao:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

SC does not actually simulate each blade of grass right? this person thinks footprint tech is somehow unique to SC jfc

.random
May 7, 2007

punishedkissinger posted:

SC does not actually simulate each blade of grass right? this person thinks footprint tech is somehow unique to SC jfc

They don’t yet but grass physics is currently tier 0. I don’t know why you’d compare tier 0 tech in SC to the T1, T2, T3 tech found in other games. You should do an apples-to-apples comparison instead.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Mirificus posted:

What you're missing (glossing over?) is that SC physics isn't sprinkled here or there, it's intrinsic to the mesh of the entire sandbox simulation. No slight to DCS, but there is no interaction with single blades of grass, no leaving of footprints in snowy terrain, no being buffeted by the wind, no knockdown/back effect from a grenade, the list goes on, and on, and on.

And any other game may have one or two, but they don't have all that I mentioned in a single game, and I could expand that list for quite a long time.

To not acknowledge how far above any other game the totality of this system is within star citizen is either (a) not understanding it or (b) see (a).
on the other hand other games can handle the rudiments of a physics engine like stationary objects not jittering and sliding about and resolving intersections without crashing to desktop

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

punishedkissinger posted:

No but it does simulate your ship getting blown by the wind.

dejapes
Jan 4, 2020

Mirificus posted:

no interaction with single blades of grass, no leaving of footprints in snowy terrain, no being buffeted by the wind, no knockdown/back effect from a grenade, the list goes on, and on, and on.

This person writes as if grass effects, footprints, weather features and grenade impacts weren't already built-in features of a CryEngine FPS and haven't been simulated in dozens of games since. You have to wonder whether Citizens actually play other games and pay attention while doing so.

Perhaps it's an issue with pre-conceived narratives. When other games do it, it's just special effects and 'cheating.' When Star Citizen does it, it's the true-to-life physics masterfully woven into the 'mesh' of the universe simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

thinking about a world where footprints working by your boot's 3D model exerting force reactions on a million mud molecules which each dynamically adjust position accordingly

also thinking about that bug where shooting a rocket at the ground caused a five-meter footprint to appear at the site of impact