Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

vyelkin posted:

I think this is broadly accurate. White Canadians think of residential schools as strict boarding schools where children occasionally died. You don't have to look very far for this, that's the crux of what Sassafrass said in a particularly callous way a few pages ago. If white Canadians acknowledge it as genocide at all, they acknowledge it as cultural genocide that tried to eradicate indigenous culture, not as physical genocide that murdered countless children. This kind of news, the physical remains of dead children in numbers people previously didn't realize, is the only kind of thing that breaks through that cozy feeling of "well we did something bad but it wasn't that bad, really".

The thing is most of the residential schools are Catholic in nature and the way they handled them in Canada isn't that much different then the Spanish missions or Ireland, and remembering the body counts of both that's not a good thing. :(

My dad is french canadian and he ran away from a residential school in Northern Alberta to work on a farm and it probably saved his life.

I'm definately wearing orange today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Springs Cult needs to burn down already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBbhlePuvP8

This isn't Christianity - it's mega church cult and enough is enough.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I could do without the crocodile tears from politicians and public health officers. What good is fake grief and an affected tremble in your voice when tomorrow you'll go back to business as usual.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I could do without the crocodile tears from politicians and public health officers. What good is fake grief and an affected tremble in your voice when tomorrow you'll go back to business as usual.

Exactly.

Remember that just last year the RCMP were taking the side of white fisherman burning down Mi'kmaq fishing buildings, among countless other ongoing crimes. If politicians really want to do something about it, they could.

Vintersorg posted:

None of this stuff was ever taught.

This quote is coming up again and maybe something can be done:
We named a goddamn road after this vile piece of poo poo. It's time to rip this poo poo down.

Here is a painting that I like, by the Akwesasne Mohawk artist David Kanietakeron Fadden. It's called "Kill the Indian, save the Man."

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

vyelkin posted:

I think this is broadly accurate. White Canadians think of residential schools as strict boarding schools where children occasionally died. You don't have to look very far for this, that's the crux of what Sassafrass said in a particularly callous way a few pages ago. If white Canadians acknowledge it as genocide at all, they acknowledge it as cultural genocide that tried to eradicate indigenous culture, not as physical genocide that murdered countless children. This kind of news, the physical remains of dead children in numbers people previously didn't realize, is the only kind of thing that breaks through that cozy feeling of "well we did something bad but it wasn't that bad, really".

Even if you are a Canadian that believes they were really bad and were a genocide, you still were probably not actually expecting an unmarked mass grave of children that had kids dumped into it within living memory.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

My girlfriend's (white) dad went to a residential school as a child and some of the stories I've got second-hand are horrifying.

I also work for the BC gov and they've made a huge push on first nation stuff recently - everyone has an hour session biweekly to learn about the history/culture/genocide of the local first nations, and it's also getting inserted into things like hunting license - history and why first nations don't need a hunting license. There is also a ton of first nations stuff being inserted into the school curriculum, the justice system is being overhauled re: first nations, all kinds of stuff.

It's baby steps obviously, but better than before.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

My unnamed government department has made an Indigenous studies program a mandatory course and is "strongly encouraging" people to educate themselves on the history of the First Nations and Canada.

Drunk Canuck posted:

Speaking of Oka!

https://twitter.com/CAFinUS/status/1399441640625000454

What in the gently caress is wrong with this psycho in charge of this posting.

Their willingness to turn and face a past atrocity and call it by its name?

(A better move might've been to predict this need, and to just not talk about Indigenous people at all)

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

IDK, I think acknowledging past atrocities is an essential first step. Pretending to be blameless accomplishes nothing.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Femtosecond posted:

Following up on the fact that the government denied funding in 2009 for further investigation of residential schools the tweet author followed up by finding that there was funding added in 2016 when the government changed.

https://twitter.com/dgardner/status/1399364223478767635?s=20

I wonder what changed in the federal government between 2009 and 2016?

Oh, right.

Like, the Liberals are poo poo and all that, but at least they're not actively trying to cover up genocide.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Crow Buddy posted:

Even if you are a Canadian that believes they were really bad and were a genocide, you still were probably not actually expecting an unmarked mass grave of children that had kids dumped into it within living memory.

I mean, no offence meant, but what is the other possibility? We knew children would simply “disappear” so where exactly did you think they were ending up?

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

PT6A posted:

I mean, no offence meant, but what is the other possibility? We knew children would simply “disappear” so where exactly did you think they were ending up?
I think there's a large propaganda machine in Canada dedicated to ideas like the residential school system was for the benefit of children, or that the acrimony between indigenous people and the government is based on cultural differences and not a history of colonialism and modern genocide.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Drunk Canuck posted:

Speaking of Oka!

https://twitter.com/CAFinUS/status/1399441640625000454

What in the gently caress is wrong with this psycho in charge of this posting.

whatever it is, it's gone now

TAKE PICTURES OF TWEETS YOU'RE MOCKING

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Tippecanoe posted:

I think there's a large propaganda machine in Canada dedicated to ideas like the residential school system was for the benefit of children, or that the acrimony between indigenous people and the government is based on cultural differences and not a history of colonialism and modern genocide.

Right, I was talking about the “Canadian who thinks they’re really bad, and genocide” but is then shocked by mass graves.

That’s usually what genocides look like: a bunch of dead bodies. And I mean maybe it’s the truth of “one death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic” and that, when people say “X number of people died” they don’t really connect that means X corpses as a result and they all end up somewhere.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

people are just very good at not hearing things that challenge their beliefs. the poo poo that came out about john furlong and residential schools and the catholic church in bc in 2012-2015 was disgusting and appalling and up there with the jimmy saville disclosures in the uk but he still got invited to speak at ubc in 2017 and was asked to participate in some calgary olympic bid in 2018. if anyone remembers the scandal they likely remember his suing for defamation and consider the matter settled even though he withdrew his case rather than go to discovery because of the mountain of evidence against him

there's zero excuse for anyone to be suprised about the mass grave discovery. it's exactly what you would expect given what we know about the residential schools/native genocide program/institutionalized abuse in the catholic church/elites getting away with abhorrent acts for basically the last 100 years

everytime there's a jeffrey epstein or harvey weinstein or whatever we act like it's this monumental unprecedented event even though this poo poo happens regularly. it's time to stop acting like this poo poo doesn't happen

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Arivia posted:

whatever it is, it's gone now

TAKE PICTURES OF TWEETS YOU'RE MOCKING

CAF tweeter remarked on the tragedy of the 215
Someone replied "you are in the caf"
CAF tweeter replied with a link to an article about the Oka crisis to put their correspondent's post in context

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

PT6A posted:

None taken it is a huge blind spot. I went to school earlier than some in the thread.

I suppose I figured when kids died there was some record of it and the parents were notified, and the police just ignored the murders. Not literal Pickton farms.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Crow Buddy posted:

None taken it is a huge blind spot. I went to school earlier than some in the thread.

I suppose I figured when kids died there was some record of it and the parents were notified, and the police just ignored the murders. Not literal Pickton farms.

Honestly, I thought the same when it occurred to me at all. The first I ever heard of systemic abuse at the schools was when I was attending university, and even then it was just a video of survivors stories on I think it would have been the public access channel (which gives you an idea how long ago it was, but it was in the mid 90s) late at night while I was surfing around for something to watch on Showcase or Bravo. I thought that there would be records, somewhere, so that it could be accounted for which was incredibly naive of me.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

PT6A posted:

Right, I was talking about the “Canadian who thinks they’re really bad, and genocide” but is then shocked by mass graves.

That’s usually what genocides look like: a bunch of dead bodies. And I mean maybe it’s the truth of “one death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic” and that, when people say “X number of people died” they don’t really connect that means X corpses as a result and they all end up somewhere.

There's a hosed up reality where even if something is """merely""''" a cultural genocide, that still belies a state where people have been dehumanized to the point that the people enacting it are utterly ambivalent to the lives or deaths of the victims.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

There's a hosed up reality where even if something is """merely""''" a cultural genocide, that still belies a state where people have been dehumanized to the point that the people enacting it are utterly ambivalent to the lives or deaths of the victims.

That's sort of the state of the whole world though (not that it excuses Canada in any way). Is there any country where a most of the people in it have legitimately acknowledged and atoned for all the horrible things they had done in the past? Germany is the only possible exception that springs to mind, and in that case the scale was just too large (and Germany was so throughly defeated) that it was impossible to ignore.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

enki42 posted:

That's sort of the state of the whole world though (not that it excuses Canada in any way). Is there any country where a most of the people in it have legitimately acknowledged and atoned for all the horrible things they had done in the past? Germany is the only possible exception that springs to mind, and in that case the scale was just too large (and Germany was so throughly defeated) that it was impossible to ignore.
New Zealand?

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Sashimi posted:

New Zealand?

Nope.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Germany has acknowledged the Holocaust, but only literally this month (May 2021) decided to start paying some reparations for the genocide of the Herero and Namaqua in colonial Namibia. It was only in 2015 that they even acknowledged it at all. The idea of moral attonement on a national level is sort of a joke, the very existence of the nation state is premised on exclusion and violence. Canada can't move forward from residential schools because the underlying exploitative and oppresive logic that led to them is still very much at the core of the Canadian project. The best you can expect is a token recognition and a pittance paid decades or centuries after the fact. More than that would require an actual revolutionary transformation of Canada, in particular built on centering indigenous governance at its core.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah 100% agreed with this.

It's one thing I hate when I tell people in the states that I'm a dual citizen and most of my family is Canadian, "Oh that's so cool! You guys are all so nice and it's not nearly as racist or insane there as it is here!" I loving wish.

Try holding that opinion the second any kind of native issue comes up around a bunch of white Canadians. Bonus, go to Halifax or Toronto and tell black Canadians there that they don't deal with nearly as much racism as we do in the states. We'll see how that myth holds up then. I'm not bitter, I just hate the stereotype as well. Lotta things I love about Canada but the myth that everyone is super nice and not problematic at all loving sucks.

I started following Ottawa Citizen news articles when I moved here so I could be more up on local news. The comments are so vile and hateful that I'm not sure I will continue. I think it's important to be reminded of the existence of these views and to speak the truth wherever these liars show up, but it's fighting an endless wave. But then I feel a bit lovely about complaining about it because indigenous and black and other oppressed peoples have been getting this in person for centuries and not just from some idiots in a comments section.

A quick scroll through shows me that the most common 'theory' is that all these children probably would have died from disease or something else anyway, so it doesn't count.

Ottawa also had a recent spate of gang-related shootings. A huge number of the comments are about "3rd world imports" and that we need to "deport all these people".
Canada is racist as gently caress.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fidelitious posted:

Ottawa also had a recent spate of gang-related shootings. A huge number of the comments are about "3rd world imports" and that we need to "deport all these people".
Canada is racist as gently caress.

Don't worry though, the police say the shootings aren't related to one another. We just have several armed people running about at the same time.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Fidelitious posted:

The comments

I think I've found your problem

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Update on vaccine mixing for the AZ crew: Canada to recommend mixing and matching AstraZeneca, Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines

quote:

Canada is changing its guidelines on mixing and matching second doses of COVID-19 vaccines and will advise Canadians to combine either the AstraZeneca-Oxford, Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna shots interchangeably in certain situations.

The National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) will update its guidance to provinces and territories in the coming days and recommend that a first shot of the AstraZeneca vaccine can be followed by Moderna or Pfizer, according to sources with direct knowledge of the decision who spoke to CBC on condition of anonymity.

The updated NACI guidance is based on emerging research from Spain and the United Kingdom that found mixing and matching AstraZeneca and Pfizer vaccines was both safe and effective at preventing COVID-19.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

quote:

The study found those who had an initial dose of AstraZeneca vaccine and got a second shot of Pfizer had an increase in IgG antibodies — which are commonly found in the bloodstream and play a key role in creating memory cells that fight the virus — that were 30 to 40 times higher than in a control group who only received one AstraZeneca dose.

Mix and match baby, I'm loving in.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I guess we'll find out later if it's worthwhile to get AZ as your second shot if you're already in Pfiz Crew or are a Modernite?

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 1, 2021

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I'm down with switching to pfizer or moderna for my second dose with my only concern being if other countries will recognize it when travelling.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

flakeloaf posted:

I think I've found your problem

Yeah Canada is racist but newspaper comment sections are inhabited strictly by exceedingly racist old boomers

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

flashy_mcflash posted:

I guess we'll find out later if it's worthwhile to get AZ as your second shot if you're already in Pfiz Crew or are a Modernite?

I don't think they'll even consider that. I have a feeling they want to get away from giving AZ to anyone other than the first dosers.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hey guess who's loving lovely yet again!

(Not Canadaland, it's national disgrace Rosie Dimanno)

quote:

Toronto Star Columnist’s Homeless Cosplay Experiment is Journalistic Malpractice
Rosie DiManno goes undercover to become a poverty tourist
JUNE 1, 2021
OPINION BY REBECCA TUCKER
FEATURED
ROSIE DIMANNO
TORONTO STAR

PRINT
On May 17, the Toronto Star published a piece by Rosie DiManno recounting a night during which she, pretending to be an unhoused person, infiltrated an encampment at Trinity Bellwoods park. In the piece, DiManno, among other things, characterizes an individual who “shows all the signs of needing a fix” as a “menacing presence”; mocks an art gallery set up by residents as “childish”; and describes a couple who welcomed her into their tent as “reeking of weed.”

It would be easy to dismiss the column, which ran on the Star’s front page, as just another case of DiManno being DiManno: a writer whose greatest hits include using the term “n-word” in jest, outing a sex worker ahead of her good-character hearing before the Law Society of Ontario, and, most recently, calling the Star’s appointment of columnist Shree Paradkar as an internal ombud — an appointment meant to allow BIPOC journalists working for the Star to share editorial concerns they might not be comfortable expressing to their direct manager — ”a loving abomination.”

But there is something particularly callous about DiManno’s decision to embed herself in the encampment, interview a number of residents, and quote them in the piece using their real first names, without identifying herself as a reporter.

The practice of gaining informed consent from interview subjects is one of the core ethical tenets of journalism. Letting interview subjects know that they are, indeed, being interviewed first allows them the chance to decline (or go off-record), and second makes them aware that any answers they give to questions they are asked can (and will) be made public. This does allow interviewees to tailor their answers, which can sometimes be frustrating to reporters. But it is the fundamental right of any member of the general public (and those in positions of political and/or economic power) to decide whether they wish to engage with journalists, and to what extent.

In not identifying herself as a reporter, DiManno eliminated two key obstacles for herself, and for her piece: the possibility that she would receive anything but full, uncensored candour from marginalized individuals who might otherwise treat her with skepticism, and the chance they would refuse to let her carry out her homeless cosplay experiment entirely. Conversely, she didn’t provide them with the chance to decide what they wanted to talk about — or, put another way, she didn’t allow them an opportunity to contradict the tired tropes and harmful stereotypes about unhoused individuals that her column perpetuates and enforces (and which she went into the whole exercise apparently ready to enforce: she writes that she packed a pocket knife for the assignment). DiManno fully dehumanized an already marginalized community, using them as pawns to support her own contrived narrative, instead of presenting them as actual people with their own stories to tell.

If DiManno’s column served any purpose aside from trivializing the lived experiences of encampment residents by centering her experience as a poverty tourist, it’s difficult to see. She doesn’t note how often the police tear these encampments down. There is no mention of the housing crisis in Toronto, or any interrogation whatsoever of how individuals living in encampments end up there, aside from a blanket statement where she categorizes “many” unhoused people as “suffering from some kind of mental illness.” Housing advocates in Toronto, such as the Encampment Support Network, have long expressed frustration at the limited media attention on the encampments and other housing issues, such as ongoing evictions during the pandemic. This doesn’t help.

There are instances where going undercover as a reporter is appropriate. Per the Star’s own journalism standards: “Undercover reporting, photography and surveillance video should be used rarely, and a case must be made that the story to be uncovered is of significant public interest and the event to be investigated is a sustained, consistent practice, not a ‘gotcha.’ Advance approval by senior editors of any undercover work is required. In such cases, the extent of and reason for the deception should be clearly communicated in the resulting published reports.”

The Star column, a first-person meditation on just how uncomfortable a columnist felt around unhoused people, is not of significant public interest. While the encampments themselves are ongoing issues — and the city’s mismanagement of them is a sustained practise — DiManno’s piece doesn’t address any of this; her reporting is more “gotcha” than anything. By way of contrast, the same story can be done through above-board reporting on encampments. Global News’ Jeremy Hunka spent the night in a Vancouver encampment in 2014 and wrote a respectful and ethically sound piece.

And while she disclosed the deception in her Star piece, by way of explaining why interview subjects were only identified by first name (although, since subjects weren’t asked to consent to an interview, they couldn’t have been asked to consent to their first names being used, either), there’s no disclosure of the reason for the deception. Blatantly disclosing that the deception took place for the purpose of exploiting vulnerable sources presumably would not have been something the Star wanted in the public record.

This comes across as the sort of clear-bias journalistic malpractice that makes members of the general public distrustful of, if not vehemently disdainful towards, members of the press. It’s gotcha journalism, the type of high-gimmick, low-tact novelty storytelling that shouldn’t pass muster as reporting. And maybe DiManno’s editors knew this: she wrote in the piece that the column was produced “over editor objections.” It’s unclear, though, what those objections were, and neither the Star’s EIC, Anne Marie Owens, nor comment editor Andrew Phillips responded to Canadaland’s requests for comment.

After the piece was published, a Twitter user and encampment resident with the username @Grusomebrat published a widely-shared thread decrying the column as dehumanizing and violent. In the replies, another user suggested that at some point during her stay, DiManno was in fact recognized as a reporter. She was told to leave.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Friend of mine who works for Conestoga College got an email from their manager of aboriginal services saying there's likely going to be more news coming from the Brantford and Chippewas or Thames residential school sites.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

ZeeBoi posted:

I don't think they'll even consider that. I have a feeling they want to get away from giving AZ to anyone other than the first dosers.

Yeah reading between the lines this is more for what to do if we don't have enough AZ for second shots.

Other than that it sounds like AZ is going to be essentially shelved since given the amount of mRNA coming in it's not really needed.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

enki42 posted:

AFAIK, Japan still officially asserts that it did nothing wrong during WW2, including "comfort women" and the rape of Nanking, though it's very sorry the affected people had a bad time.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
A friend of a friend had a C-Section done in a Winnipeg hospital and was discharged in under 24 hours because she was told there wasn't enough room or staff to continue care.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

The Hiroshima museum "recall[s] with great sorrow the many lives sacrificed to mistaken national policy", which is the closest thing I've ever seen to an admission... not that I've looked that hard, of course

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

DariusLikewise posted:

A friend of a friend had a C-Section done in a Winnipeg hospital and was discharged in under 24 hours because she was told there wasn't enough room or staff to continue care.

Do me a favor, bring this person a cassarole or something. Recovering from regular labour is hard enough but c sections are major surgery.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Arcsquad12 posted:

Friend of mine who works for Conestoga College got an email from their manager of aboriginal services saying there's likely going to be more news coming from the Brantford and Chippewas or Thames residential school sites.

Oh yeah, if we start looking we are going to find a lot of bodies everywhere. Sending ground penetrating radar to every residential school is the only way to start getting at the truth and no politician will do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Alctel posted:

Yeah Canada is racist but newspaper comment sections are inhabited strictly by exceedingly racist old boomers
Although the Post/SunMedia comment sections do radiate Big Boomer Energy, I regret to inform you that that attitude has bled down to quite a few people in younger generations.

I wish there was a non-conservative owned paper I could get my local news from. Alas, I live in Edmonton.