Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Can't upload it from my 11 :raise:

- cropped, and I hit the Auto button in Editing to brighten it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
taken from a bridge while on a run in the snow yesterday

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I sideloaded the Pixel 4 camera app onto my Pixel 2 for astrophotography mode.

Turned out pretty neat.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

I have taken only one halfway-decent cell phone photo in my life, and it of a Hindu temple in Singapore. I've never had occasion to share it anywhere on BYOB, but it seems like it might fit here.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Shot on the iPhone

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

If I had to guess at it's actual length, I'd say 4-5mm.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 15, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Moth Orchid, just bought it.

Auto color and contrast editing (ios photos); second photo is digital 2x.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I guess this is the right thread to ask. I have a 2018 Samsung A7, so not a top of the line camera but it seems to do pretty well. I've been thinking about getting a lens kit ever since I missed out on a chance to take a decent picture of some ducklings a few weeks ago. (Best effort attached, from every closer place I could stand the bush behind them completely hid them).

I've looked around a bit on Amazon and this is the best I've found so far. The English in the description screams cheap piece of poo poo, but the reviews look legit and seem pretty happy with it. Is this worth getting? If it's not, how would I know what is? Are there any thread recommendations?

Dabir fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 1, 2021

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

don't bother with those things, they're bad and produce bad quality images.
just use the phone or get an actual camera

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't think I can really afford an actual camera rn and even if I could I'd be terrified to take it anywhere. The photos people included in the reviews looked fine, what am I missing?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

the quality of the images those produce is terrible:

33gbp to cad is $56 and I wouldn't spend this money on something like this.

that being said, if 33gbp is not gonna break the bank for you then go ahead and get it, see what you can make with it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you like the results and find it fun, go ahead. But clicking through that link every photo in there looks horrible so either people are bad at uploading or the lens quality is garbage. The images are all blurry, have nasty distortion, and the shittiest corner sharpness I've ever seen.

:stare:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dang, yeah that does look pretty bad. Don't know how I didn't see it before. Would be nice to get some decent zoom ability without having to buy an entire camera for it, is there really no good option if I want to stick with my phone?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

as a side note, never trust any amzon review.

https://www.fakespot.com/product/ap...amsung-and-more

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Dabir posted:

is there really no good option if I want to stick with my phone?

there is no option. anything you see out there that is an attachment for the phone camera is just putting a lovely piece of glass in front of your camera.

download lightroom mobile and try to screw around with your phone's raw files. some phones do have good raw capability,you could in theory bypass the phone's jpg algorithm.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

or just get the Sony QX100

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284283848399?hash=item4230a346cf:g:ZXoAAOSwi8ZgkqEQ

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Wait, that entire thing is a camera?

I thought it was just a lens... :stare:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

bobmarleysghost posted:

there is no option. anything you see out there that is an attachment for the phone camera is just putting a lovely piece of glass in front of your camera.

I'm not following, what's the difference between that and the zoom on an actual camera? "A piece of glass" is what lenses *are*.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

the key word is "lovely". those attachment things are made of lovely glass and therefore produce lovely images as you see the ones above.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So if there was one made out of good glass, it would be good?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Dabir posted:

So if there was one made out of good glass, it would be good?

The original camera would also need to be good as well. No point in using a Moment lens on a Nexus 5, know what I'm saying?

https://youtu.be/hAZp8fugJRM

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm no lensologist but I assume you'd have many issues getting the correct distances lens to sensor and lens to lens unless it was specifically designed for your particular phone. I'd be keeping an eye out for used cameras in budget.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

The original camera would also need to be good as well. No point in using a Moment lens on a Nexus 5, know what I'm saying?

https://youtu.be/hAZp8fugJRM

Well as I said, my camera is usually pretty good. The same day I took that crap picture of ducklings half a mile away, I was able to take this:

The main thing I'm looking for is the ability to zoom in on distant things.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Entry level cameras are things people buy, get tired of then flip with little use so there's always bargains to be had. From 5 minutes of googling this seems perfectly adequate and has interchangeable lenses.

It's not as good as pro gear but it's better than your phone and way better than those lenses. And if you tire of it you'd probably flip it for the same price.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think even that is out of my price range. Is that pretty cheap for a camera?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Btw sorry if I'm asking frustrating questions here, it's just that adding a zoom lens to the front of your phone seems really simple conceptually and I'm not fully grasping why it isn't.

E: Also if it matters, I misremembered the model of my phone, it's a 2018 A7, not an A8. Always mess that up.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 1, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Dabir posted:

Btw sorry if I'm asking frustrating questions here, it's just that adding a zoom lens to the front of your phone seems really simple conceptually and I'm not fully grasping why it isn't.

E: Also if it matters, I misremembered the model of my phone, it's a 2018 A7, not an A8. Always mess that up.

The concept is indeed simple, but the execution isn't easy. A glass lens can't simply be molded to order, it needs to be ground down. The clarity of the glass, and how accurate the shape of the lens is costs time and money, with corners quite literally being cut (less accurate to the spec) depending on the manufacturer. Even the Hubble ended up being slightly off and they spent like, two billion on that thing. Secondly, the lens needs to be correctly aligned with the phone camera. Take a pair of glasses and look through them. Now move them back and forth and see how they go in and out of focus. The best method uses a twist and lock with a proprietary phone case.

I've considered them myself, but you definitely want to do research and preferably find a brick and mortar that will let you try them (not easy in the current environment).

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 1, 2021

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What kind of things should I be researching to make a decision? Are there any sources of information I can trust, any I definitely can't? I'm very new to this sort of thing.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Dabir posted:

I think even that is out of my price range. Is that pretty cheap for a camera?

That's AUD, so in GBP it'd be £50.

It is cheap but you can get cheaper. I would not be surprised if you could find an old bridge camera for the cost of those clip on lenses that would still be better.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The fundamentals of it is that any device that promises to make your phone take better pictures is most certainly snake oil, unless it is specifically designed for the phone you have, and even then putting a lens in front of another lens while it can get you the field of view you want it won't get you the quality you'd like.

I'd just plug "digital camera" into your local marketplace and post anything that looks good and in budget here or to the discord chat and we can weigh in.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, the thing with even a used DSLR or a dedicated point and shoot is that with the exception of maybe one or two VERY recent phones, the image sensor and the lens is always larger; higher resolution, and much, much better in low light and for avoiding lens flares. Even entry level models will have at least 4x optical zoom and 5x digital for an effective 20x, and using a better sensor and lens than an S21 Ultra.
Obviously what you gain in power you lose with that near instant convenience of always having a phone ready with a ton of battery, but it's a good option to check out.
Knew a friend that carried a cheap little Canon for a few years just for that thing.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 1, 2021

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I guess I'll look into cameras at some point, but the convenience factor really is a big deal for me. I hate carrying around more than I have to, and I don't tend to plan ahead with anything, so if I wasn't using my phone I probably wouldn't be taking any photos at all. At the end of the day, I'd rather have been able to take a zoomed in photo of those ducklings with even really bad distortion than have nothing at all. And it's not like putting a clip on lens on makes it impossible to just take it off if you don't need it.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 1, 2021

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

All good, we all have needs out of our cameras. If you do come back to it or go poking around used markets plenty of people have been happy with Sony Cyber-shots and the like and they'll fit in any pocket you got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Thanks, I'll try and keep that in mind when I do get around to it. Meantime, one more duck to apologise for all the annoying questions:

I do take pictures of things that aren't ducks, I just already had these uploaded.