Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Take it to Bavarian Performance Group for sure.

kronix posted:

The BMW guy I work with used to swear by Boston Motor Werks in Belmont. There's a ton of German shops up North of Boston so you should be ok.

edit: Also hard good things about Bavarian Performance Group but most of it was third hand.

Thanks for these, calling them and seeing if guy will travel to either. I had a rec for Boston Motor Werks from somewhere else too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

For $5k how bad can it be? That's a serious question, and implies you'll the one turning the wrenches.

I just rolled 200k in my LCI e61 that had been a CT, on the sound car, and is now a fingerlakes car. No rust to speak of, I've yet to fight a fastener on it.

E: bimmer.work shows that as an auto trans car. Might be worth asking about.

glyph fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 14, 2021

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I seem to recall that sometimes bimmer.work would show manual cars as automatic in the spec sheet, but would correctly show a stick shift in the "interior" diagram. Still, yeah, worth getting that looked at.

Never used Boston Motor Werks but if you are doing a PPI remotely, I would ask if they show you pictures the way that Bavarian Performance Group does.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My buddy with the GT4 just bought a 2016 M4 GTS with 72 miles on it, Frozen Grey. I think he's going to drive it rather than put it in his matchbox car collection, but he's already bought 3 cars this year...

Same guy he bought it from also has an E92 Lime Rock Edition with 300 miles on it. Insanity.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

My buddy with the GT4 just bought a 2016 M4 GTS with 72 miles on it, Frozen Grey. I think he's going to drive it rather than put it in his matchbox car collection, but he's already bought 3 cars this year...

Same guy he bought it from also has an E92 Lime Rock Edition with 300 miles on it. Insanity.

Do you volunteer to help him keep his collection constantly moving so the tires don’t get flat spots

I’d suggest once a week for each car

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Oops I may have put too much boost in to it:

Blew the plastic weld right off the charge pipe. Good thing I have a new aluminum one to install! Made a hell of a noise when it went.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is that what they did to prevent the chargepipe from breaking off at the throttle body?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I don't think that's what they meant by blow off valve

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Is that what they did to prevent the chargepipe from breaking off at the throttle body?

I think the plastic was just starting to get brittle from being in Texas heat most of its life (and hitting 21 psi vs. 10-12 stock). The plastic weld came off the vacuum line fitting when it was taking off that line as well, it was fairly fragile at this point. New charge pipe is on and now I don't have to worry about sending sensors flying, hooray!

Now I need to put on a new down pipe and upgrade my fuel pump and lines to run 100% E85.... And maybe WMI.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My steering issue is FINALLY fixed. I cannot believe I spent thousands on shops around here that kept getting the problem wrong. I wish I had known about BPG in the first place. This thing steers like new and I feel like I'm 5. For the record, it was definitely the joints on the steering column, both of them to be exact.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Sounds like you should have bought an M3 from the start and saved all that hassle. But congrats.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Thanks. The good news is, with the exclusion of the eleventy million alignments I did, the work that got done did need to get done anyway: I really did need new control arms, front wheel bearings, and a toe arm. Now the car drives like cake, and the actual waste waste is still well under a thou (plus time and aggravation.)

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Thanks. The good news is, with the exclusion of the eleventy million alignments I did, the work that got done did need to get done anyway: I really did need new control arms, front wheel bearings, and a toe arm. Now the car drives like cake, and the actual waste waste is still well under a thou (plus time and aggravation.)

I’m glad you fixed it and glad to know BPG still lives up to the rep. If you don’t mind me asking, how long did it take them to actually see you?

I have a shop in Allston that’s pretty close to my house that I really like (German Performance Services) but the last couple of times I’ve needed them they’ve been booked more than a week out and I ended up hitting up the dealership.

The last time it worked out, my water pump died and after I couldn’t get an appointment at GPS I took a shot the dealer might take pity on me since I was 5k miles past warranty and they did.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

German Performance was one of the shops that misdiagnosed my problem. I don't think they even looked at my car, maybe they had some intern do it. They had me replace a toe arm at substantial cost "to make alignment easier," asserting that there was nothing wrong with the car and that Direct Tire just kept screwing up my alignment (???) In addition to wasting my money they were incredibly callous and unprofessional throughout this process.

I had to book an appointment 3 weeks in advance at German Performance. BPG saw me the same week. After this experience, German Performance is on my shitlist. I keep hearing good things about their skills, and they seem to know their stuff, but anyone will tell you that they're assholes, and in my case they failed as mechanics too.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

German Performance was one of the shops that misdiagnosed my problem. I don't think they even looked at my car, maybe they had some intern do it. They had me replace a toe arm at substantial cost "to make alignment easier," asserting that there was nothing wrong with the car and that Direct Tire just kept screwing up my alignment (???) In addition to wasting my money they were incredibly callous and unprofessional throughout this process.

I had to book an appointment 3 weeks in advance at German Performance. BPG saw me the same week. After this experience, German Performance is on my shitlist. I keep hearing good things about their skills, and they seem to know their stuff, but anyone will tell you that they're assholes, and in my case they failed as mechanics too.

Wow thanks for the heads up. I refused to wait that long and maybe it was for the best.

Why can’t there be a decent BMW shop south of the pike.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
New rear tires put on the M3 this morning, I only loosely tightened the lugs before dropping the car back down and took it out for a quick spin. Was wondering why the DTC light kept flashing at me before I realized in sudden horror I forgot to torque the lugs down. Thankfully I remembered and I didn't get on a highway like that.

I used ASAP Tires which is a Tire Rack mobile service. They brought me my new tires and swapped them out in like 20 minutes, pretty handy service.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Replaced my valve cover gasket and valve cover last weekend, that was fun. Had a super tiny leak that was causing fun oil burning smells when stopped, but not enough to ever actually lose a quantifiable amount. A single screw took me an hour and a half to get off and back on due to it's location and the fact that it's an E10.

Now I need to chase my overboosting issue at low RPM (with a tune). Waste gate seems to be sticking closed and it'll build 20-21 psi from 2-3k rpm. Going to do the cheap options of replacing the boost solenoid and vacuum lines first. If that doesn't fix it, I'll just have to replace the turbo... with a bigger one... and get port injection fueling... darn.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
about to move to an emissions inspection state (MA) and the SES light on the M5 is on :rip:

it's cat bank 1, I've reset it, and am going to just see if it comes back or not

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

about to move to an emissions inspection state (MA) and the SES light on the M5 is on :rip:

it's cat bank 1, I've reset it, and am going to just see if it comes back or not

Good luck. I need to get mine emission checked today. Even with the proper working cat it's a pain getting all the sensors ready. Then it's getting a catless downpipe, or at the very least a 'high flow' one.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Just remember you have to drive around for like a week for emissions checks to pass, you can see them with Torque if you have an OBDII reader. Don't be like me and procrastinate fixing the problem until close to the deadline and you're desperately hoping the light doesn't come back on 5 days later and you have to start all over again.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What Popete said, and buy o2 sensor spacers

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Popete posted:

Just remember you have to drive around for like a week for emissions checks to pass, you can see them with Torque if you have an OBDII reader. Don't be like me and procrastinate fixing the problem until close to the deadline and you're desperately hoping the light doesn't come back on 5 days later and you have to start all over again.

yeah I'll probably be putting 2k miles on it before I have to get it inspected so that will be more than enough to clear and reclear

if necessary I have some uh, recourse, but I'd prefer to do this entirely legit.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Hey, anyone in the Philly area need OEM BMW coolant?

I bought three jugs previously, and then sold that car before using it, and this car had the radiator fixed under warranty, so I don't need a coolant flush for a few more years and it's taking up space in my garage.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Anyone have an M2? I'm thinking of getting a new comp, but my wife is super worried it's going to be too low and scrape on everything - we have a '18 civic si coupe now which seems to never scrape (just barely) and its about an inch and a half higher than the M2.

Also going to try a 230i, I was super impressed with a base RWD X3 with the same motor I rented for a week, so I imagine a smaller car with a stick would be a lot more fun, but we can easily swing the M2 if its that much better.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I have never had a problem with my stock M2C in Atlanta but I’ve also been driving low cars for years and I’m always cognizant of curbs that I need to approach carefully.

Join us.

(The m240 is still a hell of a lot of car)

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Fixed my over boost for $0. Needed to turn down the duty cycle at lower rpm on my jb4. Working perfectly now.

Edit: cheapest bmw repair bill ever?

Woolwich Bagnet fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 29, 2021

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Voltage posted:

Anyone have an M2? I'm thinking of getting a new comp, but my wife is super worried it's going to be too low and scrape on everything - we have a '18 civic si coupe now which seems to never scrape (just barely) and its about an inch and a half higher than the M2.

Also going to try a 230i, I was super impressed with a base RWD X3 with the same motor I rented for a week, so I imagine a smaller car with a stick would be a lot more fun, but we can easily swing the M2 if its that much better.

it’s not remotely low. You can drive it anywhere and the overhang isn’t big so ramp angle is okau

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's not even close to low, it's a well designed car that relies on good geometry to be sporty, not just center-of-gravity improvements in the home-lowered VW or Nissan or whatever.

The M2/M2 Comp is a *lot* better than the m240 but the m240 is good if you've never driven an M car. But it's just a nippy regular car when you really boil it down.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Superior German adhesives indeed. Came out one day and it was just on the ground in front of the car, which was parked right up against the garage door. Is that just 3m foam tape of some sort?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Crap.

Despite being under the dash multiple times for stereos and alarms and stuff, I've never noticed BMW uses a kind of dumb pedal setup with bushings for the pivot points. One of mine was completely gone and the other worn through and half popped out of its hole.

I threw new ones in there and now I basically have to relearn how to drive my car. The motor feels so much more tight and responsive now that my pedal isn't wobbling around in a bracket twice its size. It looks like a ton of BMWs use this setup, so I'd recommend checking yours especially if you have an older model. I lubed them up with some fancy ceramic brake lube, and added another of the #9 retaining clips to secure the bushing, even though the stock setup only used one. Such an amazing return on like $8 worth of parts.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Changed my oil today. Going back to a regular drain bolt after trying the fumoto drain valve thing. Which sucks because the drain was really easy. Unfortunately it has a really slow leak. Probably lost about a quarter of a liter due to that. It seemed to be tightened up just fine, I guess it leaked through the ball valve. They have a new design, but people say that leaks too. Oh well, it was an interesting experiment, back to the normal stuff for now.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah I'll probably be putting 2k miles on it before I have to get it inspected so that will be more than enough to clear and reclear

if necessary I have some uh, recourse, but I'd prefer to do this entirely legit.

Mass inspections are such bullshit now. The state has live video in the inspection bay and can request additional checks. A lot of folks who had modified cars rightly freaked when it started and it was basically the end of knowing a guy who’ll pass anything, at least for me.

And that’s my story of why my M340 is the first car I’ve ever owned that has front plate despite two decades living in a state that requires them.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Someone needs to make a magnetic plate holder and false bolt heads

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Replacing the exhaust cam position sensor on the M3 and I dropped the new part under the engine... I'm hoping it's just sitting on the tray underneath but this should have taken me an hour tops and now I'm spending the rest of my day trying to fish this thing out.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

taqueso posted:

Someone needs to make a magnetic plate holder and false bolt heads

I tried tow plates the first couple of years on my 335 but two years in a row I had to try different shops because the person doing the inspections wasn’t sure if they were allowed to pass it.

Maybe year 3 would’ve been better but I got sick of driving to 3 different shops to pass.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea how to get the cam sensor out, it's somewhere directly under the engine but hasn't fallen down to the under tray. I think at this point I'd have to pull the engine to get it. I guess I'll just buy another one, what a waste of money.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I’m just going to mount a front plate on an OEM bracket idgaf

Also there is a nice hole in the bumper that will be covered by the OEM mount

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I fuckin did it boys:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Welcome 2 da Hockenheim club, brother.

Someone get this man an avatar stat.

e: did you want a sunroof? DCT or Stick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Crunchy Black posted:

Welcome 2 da Hockenheim club, brother.

Someone get this man an avatar stat.

e: did you want a sunroof? DCT or Stick?

He needs the sunroof so he has a place for his gigantic erection every time he drives it