Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Losem posted:

Here is a question what is everyone using for storage solutions for Champions? I had the GO7 insert but the guardians put it past the being able to fit into one so I've currently split it between the 2 expansion boxes and it just doesn't feel efficient.

Mine are in these Ultimate Guard boxes. https://ultimateguard.com/en/arkhive/arkhive-400-xenoskin

I had one for heroes and one for villains, but I'm outgrowing that so I'm going to move up to one or two of the 800 card versions.

You can fit 2 hero decks in one of their 80+ boulder cases as well, so I use that if I'm playing with someone else's set and just need to bring whatever I'm playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
There’s new spoilers up on hall of heroes for Drac and Venom. Drax looks insane.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

The Black Stones posted:

There’s new spoilers up on hall of heroes for Drac and Venom. Drax looks insane.

Official errata for Ronan too. Kree Supremacy is now optional.

Finished up my Spider-Woman solo campaign, got Red Skull on the second try though I guess technically you aren't supposed to get second tries in expert mode. Deck worked really well against him, with the +1 thwart expert campaign setup card I had a nice income from his side schemes that kept things moving along really well. The first game I lost was really close, I basically gambled on hitting 5 damage with hulk but ended up just doing 3 and having him discarded. Second game I actually hit the same kind of situation, but the put an ally into play side scheme had popped up so I used spider woman's thwart card to clear that and got him right back, and then he swung for the win.

Once I get Gamora in hand she'll probably be my solo hero for the Guardians box campaign.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 20, 2021

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Is there a list of who did the primary design for each hero?

I can't help but wonder if the same person designed Doctor Strange, Ant-Man, and Spider Woman while another guy made She-Hulk, Wasp, and Hawkeye. The differences between them seem substantial even if I've been able to have fun with and win with the weaker characters.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Hall of Heroes has the designers listed for each pack, but unfortunately unable to tell who was responsible for the big expansion sets. Caleb Grace is involved with the more overpowered heroes usually, while it seems Michael Boggs usually has a hand in some of the shittier ones. That being said, Caleb has designed some not great ones too (Thor, and I’d put Star-Lord in the “meh” category) while Boggs has done some really good ones (Ms. Marvel, Quicksilver)

It seems like other people don’t get credited except for a couple of heroes here and there. Black Widow and Gamora both have secondary designers listed and those turned out really well.

I’d say with Caleb your probably going to get a hero that’s geared towards being a bit overtuned, while Boggs tends to whiff more often. It’s not a hard and fast rule though.

Edit:

Also, I’d argue Hawkeye is actually insanely powerful after going back to him after I wrote him off. He just needs a small amount of setup time and he can really put out damage.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any good lcgs come out since champions

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Vampire the Masquerade: Rivals just dropped, but I haven't played it yet. Anyone given it a shot?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Star lord is a lot of fun, you get a different risk reward game than any other hero.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

Star lord is a lot of fun, you get a different risk reward game than any other hero.

I want to pick up his card pack if only because all those Aerial cards would be loving great for Thor/Iron Man.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
The new defence aerial card makes Dr.Strange crazy broken. I’ve had it where I’ve stood back up 4 times in one turn.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

WerrWaaa posted:

Vampire the Masquerade: Rivals just dropped, but I haven't played it yet. Anyone given it a shot?

My impressions after one Brujah v Ventrue 2-player game:

• Starters feel tuned to multi-player but are thematic and fun. The additional provided agendas and havens will make dueling more viable.
  • Two win conditions make for interesting strategies: you can focus on defeating your rival by draining their Prestige / killing their last vampire or focusing on your agenda. Whichever player achieves either one first, wins.
  • The City deck feels a little thin at 23 cards and the 2nd inquisition didn't feel like a real threat (maybe because only one S.A.D. turned up). 6 randomized events makes for a nice selection of potential complications.
  • Moving vampires between Haven and Streets takes some getting used to. Streets is where most of the action happens and the Haven is a safe zone to play schemes, conspiracies etc. Vampires aren't always safe in their Haven, however...
  • There's a lot of little nuances to the rules, but after a couple of games I'm sure they'll seem easy.

I hope the game has legs. The KS delivered with a event prize kit that I want to run post-pandemic to help promote it.

First expansion is my beloved Tremere...

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

WerrWaaa posted:

Mine just shipped today but I probably won't get to it for a while. We're finally vaccinated up and gaming in person again but we've got too big a backlog to try much new. If it gets added to steam tabletop we might get to it sooner but none of us have tried tabletopia(?). I like the art and starting ground floor with it seems easier than catching up on VTES for now so I ordered it from an LGS.

I watched a bit of a release stream last night and they said they have 3 expansions ready to print with the Tremere/Thinblood one coming in July. They've got a 4th one planned out but are holding off to get player feedback. They seem interested in supporting it including at Gencon. On the downside only 3 other people were watching the stream on YouTube so either they aren't getting the word out or there isn't too much interest yet.

We play marvel champs on steam tabletop once a week and in person once a month or so when the guy who buys all the releases hosts.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
The next big box for Marvel Champions is officially announced, after being leaked a lifetime ago: The Mad Titan's Shadow.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ripley posted:

The next big box for Marvel Champions is officially announced, after being leaked a lifetime ago: The Mad Titan's Shadow.

did not expect Spectrum at all, or Adam Warlock, but they fit the theme rather well. I'll hold off on this box though til I hear about how the campaign feels. Expecting since this is the Thanos set it might be even more bullshit than some of the GMW stuff.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ripley posted:

Spectrum looks cool as hell

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Ripley posted:

Infinity Stone deck looks great. That's a better way to boost the difficulty than with a million surge cards although the stones look really brutal. Glad thematically Proxima and Corvus attack together. Balance the Scales is loving hilarious.

Adam Warlock looks interesting maybe not very good, still might be pretty fun to play having a character that's super versatile like that.

Spectrum has an interesting gimmick. Kind of wish there was a better way to change between her forms but I guess we'll need to see how many Speed of Lights are in her deck. Definitely wish she had something going on in her alter-ego form though.

New Leadership cards look nice.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Scarlet Witch and Dr. Strange players are going to loving love all those Mystic cards. I do really like the Avengers tower mission gimmick / Infinity Gauntlet being a modifier you can attach to older encounter sets. Makes more sense to do modifier decks as a way to approach difficulty instead of "hey let's just make the base villain really loving annoying and unfun"

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’m really excited for this so far. The revealed villains look like they have fun scenarios and from what we can see don’t have any of the “tons of surge” mechanics baked into them but we’ll have to see the full decks to get a better idea. Thanos is looking crazy but in a good way.

The heroes are looking super unique and I really am interested to see how they play. Adam Warlock seems pretty versatile and depending on the form switching cards Spectrum looks pretty fun as well.

I’m pretty optimistic but it all boils down to how the Villain sets turn out.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Me and my friend lost to Rhino last night which was pretty funny. We decided to play the bad characters badly so I was justice Hulk and he was Leadership Thor. We lost to the scheme maxing out which not too surprising that rhino outsmarted those 2 meatheads. Hulk is definitely the worst character I've played so far but I also think we would have won this if I could have drawn any one of helicarrier, avengers mansion, or that avengers plane that gives you a wild resource within the first 2 or 3 turns. But no, mulligan'd all but 1 card from my starting hand and drew all 3 of those cards 8 turns in which was entirely too late and also the worst way to get them. We also got wildly unlucky and ended up with both of our nemesis cards in the encounter deck so that didn't help either.

It was a fun game but I don't think there is any salvaging hulk. Clearly built to use with aggression but even if I was aggression, I doubt it would have made much difference. He's still basically, "draw something that gives you an extra resource in the first 3 turns of the game or suffer greatly" and I hate champions that are super weak to deck variance like that. Same reason I don't like she-hulk or black panther at all.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Hulk is just plain crap. There’s no salvaging him. He needs a complete hero redesign. She-Hulk as a hero is fine, but her kit needs a complete overhaul. 2 cost card for only 1 damage to everything? Craaaap.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

hulk/thor versus rhino was def one of the worst combinations you could have done if not the worst lol so yeah I'm not surprised either. You are correct though that both of them rely on "draw something that gives you an extra resource in the first 3 turns of the game or suffer greatly" though Thor gets some leeway with some better upgrades + not having to discard his whole loving hand constantly.

the best Hulk in the game is his Ally card, which thematically works out better than his hero card. He's a very powerful monster to drop in for cheap, can tank hits or dish them out, but also can cause chaos to you.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 27, 2021

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Tossing your hand just sucks “oh I got Avengers mansion but have no cost reducers or high resource cards in my hand? Goodbye! Oh, I got limitless strength but everything else is low cost? Well, have to use it or it’s wasted!

It’s such a massive drawback for absolutely zero upside. Oh he can damage awesome, better hope he doesn’t get stunned otherwise no damage and you lose those cards unless you alter ego. Hulk is garbage, don’t play Hulk.

I originally wrote off Thor but Thor with all the new cards that has come out is way, way better than before. His innate ability is crazy good, he just needed a lot more to help combo it off and deal with threat. The upcoming aggression card that lets you draw based off of how many minions are engaged with you? Perfect for him.

Same with Hawkeye, IMO. I initially wrote him off, but after building a cheap leadership deck and being able to include enough cards to get an infinite mockingbird combo going means he’s way better than I initially thought. I’ve done a tier ranking long ago, I’d should revisit my thoughts on the heroes again.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah Thor has a lot of ways to mitigate small hand size with support/upgrades early and he has genuinely great cards to use. Now he's going to get even more cool poo poo with the Star-Lord cards for Aerial stuff. Probably has a bit of difficulty in solo sometimes but when I play regularly with a two-hander, he's a fantastic mitigation hero for minions and doing big damage.

Addedum to Thanos box: Loki and Hela are the other 2 scenarios. Weird they weren't mentioned but on the Asmodee product page, they're on it: https://retail.us.asmodee.com/catalogue/marvel-lcg-mad-titans-shadow_3215/

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Rainy did a great variant Hulk, which he revised even more. Requires you to take advantage of hulk and banner to succeed.

Someone released 12 new DND archetypes, along with five new bosses including Tiamat, so that’s gonna take a lot of my time. TTS forever.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
I just loaded up TTS to look at it and wow that deck just seems all around better. I was discussing with some friends last time we played Hulk how to improve him, my main idea was something about having the Hulk get like +1 or +2 attack/defense for like ever 2-3 damage and maybe give Banner a way to thwart, which the Rainy deck seemed like it did.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So I looked at what my personal rankings of how powerful and also how fun they were, right before Rise of Red Skull came out, and it looked like this

1) Dr. Strange
2) Captain America
3) Black Widow
4) Miss Marvel
5) She-Hulk
6) Hulk
7) Spider-Man
8) Captain Marvel
9) Iron Man
10) Black Panther
11) Thor

Boy I was riding high on Hulk having a lot of damage. That is....not a great list looking back on it. What would it look like now? So this is a list I would make ranking not only how powerful I feel the heroes are, but also how fun they are to play. That's why someone like Cap, who I think probably would rank stronger than Gamora, isn't as fun to play.

1) Dr. Strange
2) Ant-Man
3) Gamora
4) Captain America
5) Spider-Woman
6) Miss Marvel
7) Black Widow
8) Thor
9) Quicksilver
10) Wasp
11) Hawkeye
12) Iron Man
13) Spider-Man
14) Groot
15) Captain Marvel
16) Scarlet Witch
17) Black Panther
18) Rocket
19) Star-Lord
20) She-Hulk
21) Hulk

Hulk sucks, She-Hulks kit is awful, and with the variety that's available to play as it's all the more obvious how much not fun they are to play. Star-Lord ranks super low because while he can be insanely powerful, his drawback of getting so much extra encounter cards usually means you might have that much more blowback and it's so hard when you're playing multi-player to cover for him. Rocket is meh, good, but didn't really do anything for me. Maybe I'd have to try him with another aspect.

Thor jumped a lot on my list. With a lot more cost reducers out and Boot camp to make allies help destroy weak minions, he has shot so far ahead on how well he will do. Gamora ranks super high because not only is she fun, but her different aspect thwarts and attacks really help her become a hugely versatile hero. If this was a pure power ranking chart, I'd throw Iron Man near the top, and Groot would be higher. Groot is a tank, but drat is he boring to play, so he ranks low on the list. Dr.Strange is still #1 because he's a freaking powerhouse and I love how crazy his turns can get.

The Guardians cycle so far has actually been kinda crap as far as heroes are concerned. 3/4 have been very underwhelming. However, Drax, Venom, and the next two look like they could swing things in the other direction.

Curious what others personal ranking list would look like.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Rocket is a lot of fun, although I wish he had another copy of schadenfreude.

Thor is definitely improved by team building exercise and the heal according to overkill card. Angela also helped him get more minions.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I tried Ronan again for kicks. Zero house rules, and I managed to win! All it took was an insanely overpowered Dr.Strange deck (first turn multiple man played with eye of agamotto)

Paired him with Gamora which was good because Gamora handled a good amount of threat but was able to deal a ton of damage because I got her sword out first turn which meant I later was able to ping extra damage constantly. It’s great when a 3 damage event becomes 4.

I had amazing openings and things managed to go my way for the most part. Fanaticism only came out once which was lucky as it was hell making sure I could take those hits. I let him grab the power stone with that scheme and never took away the scheme so while he always had a bit high damage output I wasn’t constantly getting extra boosts. Even with amazing starts there were times where I thought “oh this doesn’t look good at all. Then Strange’s Invocation deck saves the day as I hit winds of watoomb and draw 10 cards in one turn thanks to Master of the Mystic Arts and plop down an arsenal on his rear end. That was nice.

However, it also makes me sad that even with the best hero, I extremely struggle. Ronan’s problems are obvious to me and could have been a tough but fun fight instead of the slog it is. Here’s I think the major changes that need to have happened. 1) Push up the scheme threshold. Especially since he has events that have double acceleration, a 7x scheme plot with 2x per round is crazy easy to pop. It should have been 9 or 10x to be able to setup “breathing room turns.” The only time I ever flipped was when I got lucky and could crazy thwart down to 0, of if I confused him. 2) Getting rid of his weapon should have been limited to 2 damage, and no extra encounter card. He gets enough as is. 3) Fanaticism doesn’t need surge. It’s crazy overpowered against allies as is.

Change those 3 things and the fight would be bearable. As it is, it’s a fight I think is only able to done with the highest end of heroes, and I would have maybe been okay if it was Thanos and not this idiot. It’ll be interesting to see how his scenario goes because those stones constantly coming into play seems like it’ll cause chaos but it all depends on how his deck is. That second scheme is crazy, but is pretty crazy mechanic that I actually think might be neat.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Black Stones posted:

I tried Ronan again for kicks.

That was with the errata? How did that help the experience?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

PaybackJack posted:

That was with the errata? How did that help the experience?

The errata is scenario only. Which definitely would definitely help him not be crazy bad right off the bat because he only starts with 2 schemes and not 3.

I still don’t think I’d fight him with the scenario though because all the extra cards that get added have a bunch of surging as well. Which makes Ronan’s encounter cards even crappier.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
I've been going through some decks online for marvel and a few of them use Assess The Situation, and how does that card work? It says till the end of phase you get +1 hand size till the end of phase. So does it basically just allow you to have 1 extra card going into the next villain/hero phase?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Yup. And since you can generally play cards during the player phase, It lets you balance in size between hero and alter ego.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Losem posted:

I've been going through some decks online for marvel and a few of them use Assess The Situation, and how does that card work? It says till the end of phase you get +1 hand size till the end of phase. So does it basically just allow you to have 1 extra card going into the next villain/hero phase?

Yep, when you discard/draw/ready at the end of your turn, your hand size will be +1 so you draw one more than normal.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

We finally played against Ronan. Round 1 we removed all threat on the main and cleared the double acceleration side scheme. During the villain phase Gamora surged into 7 encounter cards and would have been killed without exhausting the Milano.

We lost due to threat in round 2 before even revealing player 2's encounter cards.

He went through 2 stages in less than 2 rounds. What bullshit. I'm sorry I doubted the extent to which he is garbage.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Welcome to the club.

Ronan is the epitome of extremely bad design. Surge is okay when it happens once in a while, it is extremely lovely when you accept it will probably happen every round and possibly at multiple times. They over-relied on it and it sucks rear end.

I haven’t done the campaign, since early times but if I ever would do it again when I get to Ronan I would just treat it as if I was fighting him non-campaign. The Badoon Headhunter cards adds 4 (I think) surge cards to an already surge heavy deck.

Gotta hope they got surge out of their system for that box, otherwise we get a repeat when Titan’s Shadow comes out.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

It reminded me of why my friends and I stopped playing the LotR LCG, too much surge on already powerful encounter cards.

Surge is fine if it is on a weak treachery that doesn't do much like Arkham Horror's https://arkhamdb.com/card/05089. It quickly stops being fine once too many cards have surge or the surge cards are just as bad or even worse than a regular treachery.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 1, 2021

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Considering Marvel Champions is also supposed to be the “casual” game of the three co-op LCG’s it’s easy to see why there’s been such a negative reaction to the expansion.

There was a huge negative reaction to it and while we might not see the effects come anytime soon I have to figure the designers didn’t see it and will make sure to way better balance standard and expert content and their reliance on surge. I see a lot more people down on the game because they get put off from attempting Ronan. Looking at the gameplay tracker someone made on BGG and Ronan has a whopping 30% win rate from nerds who have actually bothered to log games. Take casuals into account? It will be even lower.

It’s a co-op game and people generally like winning. There shouldn’t be an expectation you’ll win every game but if you play knowing you can’t use the heroes you want to use, and even if you bring your “A” game that you will possibly lose 1 out of 4 times will start to put people off.

Also, I took apart my Star-Lord deck because I found myself not wanting to play him and thought about making a Rocket leadership deck. A thought I had is I really, really hope they are going to get in a whole bunch more guardian allies because if not, there’s a bunch of cards that really only function well for Star-Lord. Knowhere I looked and I could only use it with 2 characters and then I realized a bunch of those leadership cards are useless unless your playing them with Star-Lord. That’s uh, not great. Sure hope they’ll continue to throw more guardian allies out with further expansion packs and not just this cycle or else this cycle for leadership is kind of a bust unless you want to play Star-Lord and I really don’t.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Kinda beat Ronan standalone. At one point he dropped Gamora to exactly 0 and we set the dial to 1 instead because it was our first time playing (besides the bullshit 2 round campaign attempt) and we wanted to get a feel for the fight before restarting again. Didn't expect to beat him but ended up dealing 28 excess damage the turn we won. Badoon Headhunter is the source of at least half his bullshit, it was significantly less terrible without that set.

He was still really hard for standard difficulty.

Red Skull was way too easy campaign mode. GotG is way too hard with Headhunter. I hope they figure it out for the next one.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

The Black Stones posted:

Also, I took apart my Star-Lord deck because I found myself not wanting to play him and thought about making a Rocket leadership deck. A thought I had is I really, really hope they are going to get in a whole bunch more guardian allies because if not, there’s a bunch of cards that really only function well for Star-Lord. Knowhere I looked and I could only use it with 2 characters and then I realized a bunch of those leadership cards are useless unless your playing them with Star-Lord. That’s uh, not great. Sure hope they’ll continue to throw more guardian allies out with further expansion packs and not just this cycle or else this cycle for leadership is kind of a bust unless you want to play Star-Lord and I really don’t.

I found Star Lord really powerful and fun but you can't use his feature every turn. I almost only use it to play a Voltron ally (Iron Man and Yondu), Bad Boy, Nick Fury, or Mockingbird. Sometimes not even then, depends on my hand. Final round of play is of course exempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

https://marvelcdb.com/decklist/view/8432/assortment-of-morons-rocket-raccoon-leadership-v1-0-2.0 This seems to be the recommended rocket leader ship deck. Every new guardian pack has a new ally, so you can run Groot, Gamora, Drax, Adam warlock with a house rule, and Yondu.