Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

david_a posted:

I’m the A TALON BRAVE GAME subtitle; they were really gonna make a franchise off a horrible stereotype? :thumbsup:

It was 1998; unbelievably, video game developers were even dumber and whiter than they are today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
3D Realms had doubled down repeatedly on offensive stereotypes being their 'niche' with shadow warrior already , hadn't they?

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

I really liked this but it felt like some things were weirdly omitted while time was sucked up for praising the game unnecessarily. Like he never talked about the lack of bosses or any of the later stage atmosphere/enemy types. I also found it amusing that he called the weapon layout expansive, something I'd never attribute to quake.

I love that he got a proper verite as well, I played vquake back in the day. It really grinds me when someone takes video cards from that era though and then couples them with a CPU from years later and then defend it by saying it was "to get rid of the CPU bottleneck". A p3 500 is more applicable to quake 3-era than quake 1. The CPU bottleneck was a huge part of how those cards performed at the time! If I remember right on the lower-end sub-100mhz pentium CPUs (which were practically 'high end' in late 1996) the verite would outperform the voodoo at lower resolutions as it offloaded a bit more CPU-wise . I'm glad he talked about the verite's AA though.

Also you probably wouldn't notice a difference going from a voodoo 1 to a voodoo 2 on a p166 as you'd just be cpu bottlenecked as well

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

WilWheaton posted:

I really liked this but it felt like some things were weirdly omitted while time was sucked up for praising the game unnecessarily. Like he never talked about the lack of bosses or any of the later stage atmosphere/enemy types.

Because it's a technology channel, they make videos about engines, tech, hardware, etc. They don't talk of gameplay, story, etc.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

WilWheaton posted:

Maybe I don't understand everything about how the studios were organized, but, why was 3d realms both making its own engine in house for prey while also making DNF under a different licensed engine every year?

Prey started development in 1995, before Duke 3D had even shipped. I guess they were super enamored with BUILD’s portal renderer even at the time, because Prey was supposed to be OMG PORTALS The Engine. They had hoped that Prey the game would be their Unreal, a launch title for a reusable engine. Duke 5 was supposed to use this engine :lol:

Unfortunately for them, a true 3D portal renderer is a complete pain because there’s an infinite number of weird edge cases you have to deal with and it collapsed in a technical mess.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Turin Turambar posted:

Because it's a technology channel, they make videos about engines, tech, hardware, etc. They don't talk of gameplay, story, etc.

They do talk about gameplay in these retro videos. I guess he just didn't find those things to be a problem.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

david_a posted:

Prey started development in 1995, before Duke 3D had even shipped. I guess they were super enamored with BUILD’s portal renderer even at the time, because Prey was supposed to be OMG PORTALS The Engine. They had hoped that Prey the game would be their Unreal, a launch title for a reusable engine. Duke 5 was supposed to use this engine :lol:

Unfortunately for them, a true 3D portal renderer is a complete pain because there’s an infinite number of weird edge cases you have to deal with and it collapsed in a technical mess.
So to ask the obvious question, how did the team of students who made Narbacular Drop (who subsequently got hired by Valve and made Portal) figure out how to make portals viable?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Not exactly the same thing. Narbacular Drop uses a small number of portals as a gameplay mechanic, handled as a special case on top of an otherwise orthodox engine. The original Prey engine, and Marathon and Descent and a few others, use portals as their fundamental unit of map construction, alongside or in place of BSPs. This makes some tricks that other engines struggle with very easy (room over room) and some pitfalls that other engines easily avoid very hard to stamp out (rooms that stick into each other).

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

haveblue posted:

Not exactly the same thing. Narbacular Drop uses a small number of portals as a gameplay mechanic, handled as a special case on top of an otherwise orthodox engine. The original Prey engine, and Marathon and Descent and a few others, use portals as their fundamental unit of map construction, alongside or in place of BSPs. This makes some tricks that other engines struggle with very easy (room over room) and some pitfalls that other engines easily avoid very hard to stamp out (rooms that stick into each other).
Neat. I don't know poo poo from Shinola when it comes to game design, so I figured I'd ask. Is that portal-based type of engine particularly common, or is it something that never quite caught on?

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 1, 2021

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Mandalore's Necromunda: Hired Gun review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOt6Nl1K5xU

They fixed the Bolter sound for the retail game lol.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Mandalore's Necromunda: Hired Gun review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOt6Nl1K5xU

They fixed the Bolter sound for the retail game lol.

From the developers of EYE? I might wanna pick this up, I know absolutely nothing about WH40K though

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

HolyKrap posted:

From the developers of EYE? I might wanna pick this up, I know absolutely nothing about WH40K though
WH40k is entirely about rule of cool, so if you've seen stuff from it and thought "that looks cool" that's 90% of it

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

EYE was basically the warhammer 40k fanfiction the devs came up with in the first place so having an actual 40k game or two under their belt isn't much of a stretch and probably won't be too unfamiliar to anyone who has only played EYE before

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

EYE is an acquired taste, the Deathwing game was bad, and all early reviews are saying this is a little underdone in the "not worth $40" sense with jankiness and the very occasional game-breaking bug.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Marshal Radisic posted:

Neat. I know poo poo from Shinola when it comes to game design, so I figured I'd ask. Is that portal-based type of engine particularly common, or is it something that never quite caught on?

It never caught on for a few reasons.

I didn’t know Marathon was a portal engine, but BUILD and Descent both have a lot of limitations that make it somewhat reasonable. BUILD is for 2.5D games and barely has a physics engine. In Descent you never walk on a surface and (AFAIK) none of the retail levels try to make impossible geometry. All the games that use these engines primarily focus on smaller indoor areas and they were created before GPUs took off.

There’s two major problems with a true 3D portal engine: physics gets really drat complicated and it’s super slow for complicated geometry. A GPU really wants to be fed large chunks of static geometry it can churn through at once. That’s a problem with a portal engine, because geometry can join in weird dynamic ways (that’s most of the point after all) so you constantly need to figure out what is visible. Even on modern machines, BUILD would really struggle with some of the monster Doom maps people make with massive outdoor areas.

Modern engines can all do portals, but only as limited special effects. It turns out that’s really what you want 99% of the time anyway.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"
https://youtube.com/watch?v=SsmpSyW57zQ

Dean of Doom reviews Scythe 2

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Marathon 2 on Xbox 360 is actually spending a whole lot of GPU power on conforming to the software renderer while also allowing true perspective when looking up and down. It's very inefficient and consuming way more of the system's total power than it looks, which is why it's limited to 720p despite being a game from a decade earlier targeted at 486-equivalent CPUs.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I remember the 360 version of Marathon having some really weird fov that was making people sick.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I remember the 360 version of Marathon having some really weird fov that was making people sick.

It's super low. The head bobbing with the gun going up and down...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Sounds like the launch version of HL2

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Marathon games have a legendarily low FOV, likely due to them only rendering to part of the screen back on the Mac. On modern platforms where they run in fullscreen it's a massive nausea inducer. Marathon XBLA ended up patching in a classic/modern FOV toggle, while last I checked, Aleph One still insists that you write a script to manually alter the FOV setting because gently caress you specifically.

https://twitter.com/SVKaiser/status/1399453030286774273

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Well

quote:

During Marathon's development, Bungie adopted a testing policy of "play til you puke." In order to play test the game, each member of Bungie studios had to play from start to finish twice. This term was coined due to the nausea associated with playing Marathon for too long, usually setting in during a second play through.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I think alot of why Prey 1997-ish never went anywhere was less about the technical issues, but more that the lead programmer died and nobody else could continue what he started. Apparently what he was doing was quite a bit ahead of what anyone else at the company was capable of at the time.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I think alot of why Prey 1997-ish never went anywhere was less about the technical issues, but more that the lead programmer died and nobody else could continue what he started. Apparently what he was doing was quite a bit ahead of what anyone else at the company was capable of at the time.
That's not what killed Prey '97. William Scarboro, who was involved with the engine, passed in 2002, several years after it was cancelled and a year after it was rebooted by Human Head.

What ultimately killed the original version of Prey was the death of 3DFX - the original engine was heavily tied to the Glide API, and its discontinuation meant the entire thing had to rewritten for Direct3D, which was a slow and painful process that it ultimately did not survive. What didn't help was that it was, well, that it was a 3D Realms game. 3DR was not a large company, and the management generally preferred tweaking and iterating over, say, long-term planning. Combine that with the primary focus being on Duke Nukem and you got a lack of resources and the occasional team exodus.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I really like Prey 2006. With forced HBAO and supersampling it still looks great today, and I love the wacky gravity portal adventures stuff.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

What is with Bungie and horrible FOVs? Both Halo and Marathon have always felt way too zoomed in.

Then again, I'm the type of person who would gladly play Quake with that 360° FOV mod on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRQIKN4qWkQ

It's like you're a spider, being able to see everywhere at once! :alleyes:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Marathon chose to implement enormous FOV as a power up, the extravision chip, and not a configurable option. Idk how this interacts with script changing the standard FOV because most mappers including Bungie’s prefer to ignore the power ups’ existence

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1399723248414253063?s=20

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I had fun with Project Warlock, great to see them working on another one and a console port! (I'll gladly get it on PS4 too).

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
retro enough?

https://twitter.com/PoorlyAgedStuff/status/1399546584795394048

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Speaking of retro, Quake is turning 25 this month. On the 22nd specifically, I think. I have no idea what the community has planned, but I hope it's awesome.

https://twitter.com/Quake/status/1399732550491385856

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Another fur-less shambler, shameful!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

they better not abandon the EGA color palette just because they're going 3D. needs to be way more neutral gray!!!

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

The Kins posted:

Speaking of retro, Quake is turning 25 this month. On the 22nd specifically, I think. I have no idea what the community has planned, but I hope it's awesome.

This fucks me up because I remember being in high school and there was a big project called Quake 10 Year, which was using Darkplaces to totally revamp Q1 with normal maps, dynamic lighting, etc. It never went anywhere, and seems to have been scrubbed from the web, but it looked cool at the time. I just thought it was dumb to specifically called it "Quake 10 Year" in honor of the tenth anniversary of the game, but now it just makes me feel super old knowing Quake is turning 25.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Why isn’t Will Rock on steam.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Kins posted:

Have they added a mode without character abilities yet? Just straight up DM.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/RaveofRavendale/status/1399744104830017539?s=20

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

shoeberto posted:

This fucks me up because I remember being in high school and there was a big project called Quake 10 Year, which was using Darkplaces to totally revamp Q1 with normal maps, dynamic lighting, etc. It never went anywhere, and seems to have been scrubbed from the web, but it looked cool at the time. I just thought it was dumb to specifically called it "Quake 10 Year" in honor of the tenth anniversary of the game, but now it just makes me feel super old knowing Quake is turning 25.
I remember that, it looked goddamn awful. The site is still up on the Web Archive: http://web.archive.org/web/20061108052322/http://www.quake10year.com/

:whitewater:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Speaking of old FPSes and tons of graphical greeblies, this just got announced:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b0csk7IdJw

Crysis 1 Remastered came out in September, the other two will be landing this fall, both seperately and in a bundle package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Announcing a Crysis remaster seems like a hilariously cruel thing to do in the current gfx card market.