Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mark, just say "I needed a ride" you don't live around here, your car is back in Lost Forest.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I've given this a swing before, but I figured I'd give it another chance in the thread. Lunch Lunch is basically norwegian Dilbert. Which might be damning with faint praise, but I've found it to be somewhat amusing on occasion.
Primarily a gag-a-day comic (Mon-Fri, plus a bigger weekend edition.) designed to be printed out and plastered across the common areas of your average office, it's currently dabbling with a short story arc. (Because he's probably gotten all the material out of 'old useless boss' and wants to have a go at 'young buzzword boss' as a foil for a bit.)

Unfortunately there's no sort of long-term archive of norwegian comics, so I only have access to the newest ~2 or so weeks of it at any time. Though if there's suddenly a giant roaring wave of interest, I could pick up some of the collections and scan them in.
Strips have a bad habit of getting run in different newspapers and the like, online/offline, and those that do host strips online generally just host the most recent 2-3 weeks. There's nothing like comics kingdom/etc here.
I'll be translating 'em so if I gently caress something up or something sounds off: please call me out on it, translating the casual norwegian tone mixed with business-speak to english is a bit challenging.

Lunch Weekend

Lunch In which we drop right into an arc like, 5 min after it started: Whoops! All you need to know is that Bache, the old fellow, used to be the CEO and is now getting de-ceo-ed.
And he is of course a prime example of 'old, bumbling, out of touch, boss'.

I'll try doing a couple extra strips to catch up to the current daily, and once I hit the sync-point I'll see if there's any interest in the thread for it to keep running or no.

The seventh father of the house is of course a reference to the norwegian fairy tale of the same name: https://norwegianfolktales.blogspot.com/2016/08/the-seventh-father-of-house.html
Basically being in a position of power, with no real responsibilities of work to speak of, as you can imagine from context.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Zereth posted:

Mark, just say "I needed a ride" you don't live around here, your car is back in Lost Forest.

"the rapper i'm crashing with picked me up at the airport in his car, how did you expect me to get here?"

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

You are eight

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The Lockbeaks, Featuring Deathless Deer 4/29-5/1/43

Yes, I know, I know, but there is such a thing as too low-hanging fruit.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SubNat posted:

I've given this a swing before, but I figured I'd give it another chance in the thread. Lunch Lunch is basically norwegian Dilbert. Which might be damning with faint praise, but I've found it to be somewhat amusing on occasion.
It's basically Dilbert that isn't made by a horrible person.

quote:

The seventh father of the house is of course a reference to the norwegian fairy tale of the same name: https://norwegianfolktales.blogspot.com/2016/08/the-seventh-father-of-house.html
Basically being in a position of power, with no real responsibilities of work to speak of, as you can imagine from context.

Just chilling in a horn on the wall all day.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Some Guy TT posted:

I feel compelled to note, largely because I'm probably one of the only people who knows this even in the context of this subforum, that Ta-Nehisi Coates' Captain America just did an entire stupid thing where they brought Peggy Carter back into continuity as an old woman. Then they did magic bullshit to turn her back into a young woman, because old Peggy Carter was too potentially interesting. People were annoyed by this.

You're conflating a couple of plot lines in Coates' Cap run. Yes, Peggy is back, but she wasn't introduced as an old lady. She appeared as a mystery figure called "The Dryad" and the book's never really gone into great detail about she wound up in the modern day beyond Peggy saying this was where she was needed so she's here now. Sharon Carter was aged into an old woman years ago in that whole Dimension Z business, and that's what Coates undid through "magic bullshit."

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Wow, will you two gently caress already and get it over with?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
There are times at which I feel the comics I post are so out-dated that I should be spoilering them. And then I see Pondus, and I realise that actually, they're ok. On that note, in today's Blueberry: Crossing the Rubicon Rio Grande, or Way not to live up to the stereotype, Jim, or Oh good, just who I was wanting to see

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

Wow, will you two gently caress already and get it over with?

Apparently they used to but don't anymore.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Funny Online Ari Aster

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Not a bad joke.

It can only go downhill from here!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Hostile V posted:

Funny Online Ari Aster

I appreciate the Ari Aster reference on this one

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

Todd is a kind soul.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
One thing I'm never sure about with Boondocks is how much we are(n't) supposed to agree with Huey.

I can't get over how efficient hawk language is. :allears:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine, and yeah, yesterday kind of lit a fire, but whatever it was, I'm not sure we've reached the point of no return yet. Hang in there. Continue to take notes.

Skippy (October 23, 1933)

Peanuts (June 3, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

COVIDshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater, in which aren't you forgetting something, Popeye? (December 30, 1937)

Out Our Way, featuring the original self-driving transportation. (September 17-19, 1936; spoiler tag for the usual reasons.)

Toonerville Folks (August 30-September 1, 1917)

Dok's "Pay Your Own Way Home" Duck (August 16, 1913)

It's Little Lefty time again, and I completely forgot to answer this question going into the weekend.

Green Intern posted:

That's cool and all that they're standing up for their minority neighbors, but it would be pretty swell if any of them were at the rally (and yes, I am aware that it's Any Time in America1934 and Racism is alive and very well)

Yeah, it's impossible to dismiss completely that particular variety of background noise, but there's also an interesting strain of background chatter going on in the Daily Worker's Questions & Answers column about interracial marriage, and whether that's a hill the American party wanted to die on. The anonymous columnist who fielded representative questions on the topic wasn't equivocating, as in the November 6, 1934 edition shows: "Without the sharpest fight against all boss-imposed restrictions between the toilers of various races and nationalities there can be no true internationalism. Any fight for Negro equality that does not include full equality in all social relationships could be nothing but a hollow mockery."

That the CUSA felt it was necessary to have this conversation in the house organ suggests a level of pushback from the subscriber base, and possibly even some of the CUSA members, party line or no. For instance, the above quote is answering a suspiciously obtuse outside observer who seems convinced that the CUSA is requiring racially mixed marriages. I suppose you're always going to get a few of those in every crowd. :shrug:

(November 5-7, 1934)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 31, 2021

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EasyEW posted:

(November 5-7, 1934)

:yeah:

This strip has already become one of my favorites. I wish there was this much awareness today. Granted, it's gotten better since covid-19.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Selachian posted:

The Lockbeaks, Featuring Deathless Deer 4/29-5/1/43

Yes, I know, I know, but there is such a thing as too low-hanging fruit.

BSS: Batman's Scrappy Sidekick › Comic Strips 2021: Noble falcon says "Spux Kludd Tadu AiYi-AiYi"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

EasyEW posted:

COVIDshaft

It wasn't enough to milk the tragedy of not being able to keep open a theater that only shows classic films(don't the kids these days appreciate nostalgia, the most important force in the Funkyverse??). Oh no, it also has to be turned into a strip club, that'll really show how far society's fallen. :jerkbag:

quote:

I love that everyone in Toonerville keeps being surprised at the powerful Katrinka lifting things with ease. :allears:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Haifisch posted:

It wasn't enough to milk the tragedy of not being able to keep open a theater that only shows classic films(don't the kids these days appreciate nostalgia, the most important force in the Funkyverse??). Oh no, it also has to be turned into a strip club, that'll really show how far society's fallen. :jerkbag:

Wait it only played classic films?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
how could our niche business with a terrible business model fail this is a tragedy the true tragedy of uhhhh not us but... covid???

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
All the strip clubs around here closed due to the rona. Batiuk, meanwhile, probably hasn’t seen a boob (other than himself) in decades

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Haifisch posted:

I love that everyone in Toonerville keeps being surprised at the powerful Katrinka lifting things with ease. :allears:

Every person in that town is the ancestor of a person who keeps getting amazed at how big Marmaduke is.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Zerilan posted:

Wait it only played classic films?
I normally ignore Cancerbean but started paying attention to this stupid, stupid storyline when that came up in the BSS discord.

I don't care enough to dig through past Crankshaft arcs for more definitive examples(although I'm sure they came up) but there's definitely a 'we're banking on nostalgia and nothing else' implication there.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Died! (June 6, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (July 27, 1918)

Banana Oil! (April 10, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (July 16, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (December 17, 1935)

Mopsy (February 15, 1937)

Dark Laughter (December 15, 1945)

Those Were the Days (July 23, 1953)

Wee Pals (September 4, 1965)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Still loving Deathless Deer. It is so loving weird.

Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Red Knight Nov. 27th, 1940

Axa

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

SubNat posted:

I've given this a swing before, but I figured I'd give it another chance in the thread. Lunch Lunch is basically norwegian Dilbert. Which might be damning with faint praise,

Hey now. Cheer Up Boss Dharma is basically Korean Dilbert, and I definitely get the bare minimum praise necessary to keep translating them.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

I feel like the calendar in panel eight is supposed to be some kind of easter egg but I can't imagine of what.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The_Other posted:

Author Unknown? Part 2 Begins!

John Allison's Patreon
John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website
My Author Unknown? intro guide password is TheOther

Well, someone finally told John what a "Penny Long-stand" is: https://twitter.com/badmachinery/status/1399399821253959687

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

howe_sam posted:

You're conflating a couple of plot lines in Coates' Cap run. Yes, Peggy is back, but she wasn't introduced as an old lady. She appeared as a mystery figure called "The Dryad" and the book's never really gone into great detail about she wound up in the modern day beyond Peggy saying this was where she was needed so she's here now. Sharon Carter was aged into an old woman years ago in that whole Dimension Z business, and that's what Coates undid through "magic bullshit."

Well great now I'm confused about which one Captain America is having sex with. Although on second thought, maybe I have already thought way too much about this.

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

Well great now I'm confused about which one Captain America is having sex with.

That’d be Bucky Barnes in my fanfic

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/31/01

Brenda Starr 8/1-3/46

Smokey Stover 6/15/41

Richard's Poor Almanac

Bonus story! War shortages were hard on everyone.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (July 23, 1953)

I'm guessing the actual idea is that the 3d viewer thingy would somehow strain your eyes, but I prefer to interpret this as saying that you've got a limited number of things you can look at in your life and once you use them all up, that's it. "I'm afraid I couldn't; I've already looked at twelve things today!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: just a normal group of toddlers, hanging out (August 27 - September 2, 2001)