Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
To elaborate on Alyx, I'm coming more from a mechanic gameplay place when I say it's not terribly different from an equivalent flat-screen game. The VR aspects that enhance it are the same as would enhance basically any game plopped into VR (ambiance, immersion, etc.), but it doesn't do as much with VR gameplay mechanics as it could. That doesn't mean it's a bad game (I gushed about it when it came out), but it's more a game that shows how neat worlds can feel in VR and how creepy dark caverns can be, but there's plenty more to be found in other VR titles in terms of VR gameplay mechanics, like in movement and weapon handling, so I don't think Alyx necessarily spoils the medium for someone, depending on what they are looking for in VR.

For example, early in Alyx you come across a fence you need to cross, and a few feet back from it is a dumpster with a convenient ramp, and there's a metal pole running along a nearby building that would get you over the fence if you were to grab it and shimmy over. Everybody who's tried Alyx on my system has tried to walk up the ramp, then grab that pole and shimmy across the gap, but you can't grab the pole. Turns out that you simply need to stand on the dumpster, point at the fence, and use the game's jump function (which is basically a teleport/slide). It's been a bit of a buzzkill for some of them, breaking the immersive feel for that moment, as it felt like Valve was tutorializing a climbing mechanic, but instead they (unintentionally?) tutorialized the lack of that mechanic. Similar to when you are forced to grab a metal pipe right as you confront your first zombie, and that's when you learn that melee does no damage. It's like a "melee isn't in the game" anti-tutorial.

So to clarify, Alyx does great things with VR for the "holy poo poo, I'm in Half-Life" experience, and some of the medium's innate benefits are realized very well in Alyx, as they would be in many other fairly conventional games if they were plopped into VR (such as Alien Isolation, which cranks the spookiness up to 1,000,000 in VR; and Star Wars Squadrons, which makes me feel like I'm a kid again when I look around the cockpit). I don't find Alyx particularly special to control as a VR title, aside from the grabby gloves (which Valve loving nailed), but that doesn't mean it's a bad game. Elite Dangerous doesn't have any special VR interactivity (in some ways, it's functionally worse in VR), but I still prefer it in VR most of the time because MY IMMERSION :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

explosivo posted:

I tried the armswing movement in H3VR but really couldn't wrap my head around it when poo poo hit the fan. It was more intuitive than I originally thought it'd be but I still prefer just moving around with a stick.

I think if you can deal with twinstick movement then it is straight up better than armswinger. Armswinger is just an alternative that allows a lot of people who can't deal with stick-based movement to reap the benefits of smooth locomotion.

The thing that caught me most off guard in the beginning was that armswinger - at least to me - suggested a skiing/walking stick type movement where you push yourself around. It is not that at all, however. All you do is point your controller(s) in a direction, press a button, and then waggle your arm up/down while still mostly pointing in the direction you want to go. If you actually do full arm swings then your hands will end up pointing down and even behind you, which screws up your movement.

With the "constant slow movement while button is pressed" feature Anton added a while ago, one of the biggest downsides of armswinger (inability to aim steadily while moving, e.g. for slice-the-pie room clearing) has been solved, but I still prefer stick-based movement as it gives you the most amount of freedom movement-wise.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DelphiAegis posted:

I prefer to go from Jank to Polish, not Polish to Jank. I never felt queasy in Boneworks, but I chalk most of that up to the fact that I was playing seated, same as for Alyx, but Boneworks does take a lot less care than Alyx does around comfort level settings. Hell, one of the first proper worlds has a sled-catapult which is completely open so you can ride it to barfs-ville.

My counter-argument is the time you spend in VR playing Alyx will acclimate you more to VR and then playing janky games will be less uncomfortable.

Yeah playing boneworks seated you did probably skip half the issues.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shine posted:

To elaborate on Alyx, I'm coming more from a mechanic gameplay place when I say it's not terribly different from an equivalent flat-screen game. The VR aspects that enhance it are the same as would enhance basically any game plopped into VR (ambiance, immersion, etc.), but it doesn't do as much with VR gameplay mechanics as it could. That doesn't mean it's a bad game (I gushed about it when it came out), but it's more a game that shows how neat worlds can feel in VR and how creepy dark caverns can be, but there's plenty more to be found in other VR titles in terms of VR gameplay mechanics, like in movement and weapon handling, so I don't think Alyx necessarily spoils the medium for someone, depending on what they are looking for in VR.

Yeah but you can say the same thing ala Dark Souls vs Call of Duty. Call of Duty is just another basic FPS with the same shooty mechanics you've played 100 times, but that's exactly what most people want. Gaming comfort food. With a new setting and story and pretty graphics to immerse yourself in.

Only sometimes are people in the mood for the dark souls like game where they have to learn 20 new mechanics at once and git gud in order to appreciate the game. (I love those games too, but even myself sometimes I just wanna chill)

Alyx is by far the most polished VR game and this thread likes to really overstate the things it lacks in while glossing over the things it does well, which few other VR games remotely approach.

It is insanely polished, and that is one of the things people want most from games. Most people would rather play 1 polished game than 10 janky games.

Shine posted:

Elite Dangerous doesn't have any special VR interactivity (in some ways, it's functionally worse in VR), but I still prefer it in VR most of the time because MY IMMERSION :swoon:

Exactly :) Saying "MY IMMERSION" is such a cliche that I think, while most of us are in on the joke, we shouldn't over-state it to new VR players. Immersion is GREAT. Its what you're here for, largely.

New cutting-edge VR mechanics are cool, but like, just because some games are breaking new ground on mechanics doesn't even mean other games need to. That's true outside of VR even.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Play Boneworks for the good gunplay, really good ironsights and the “hey” that will terrify you in dark tunnels. Stick around despite the janky IK body, weird climbing physics and headcrabs that are way more terrifying than alyx

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

DelphiAegis posted:

I prefer to go from Jank to Polish, not Polish to Jank. I never felt queasy in Boneworks, but I chalk most of that up to the fact that I was playing seated, same as for Alyx, but Boneworks does take a lot less care than Alyx does around comfort level settings. Hell, one of the first proper worlds has a sled-catapult which is completely open so you can ride it to barfs-ville.

Boneworks gives ZERO fucks about player comfort.

I respect it for that. But itll still gently caress me up sometimes.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Jet Island lets you wrap your body around a pillar like a Maypole at 300 MPH with little-to-no discomfort, but in Boneworks, your greatest source of discomfort is a result of your body (and head/camera) bouncing off of every piece of geometry in every level.

Where did Master Indie go? They were working on a Jet Island level editor a year ago, streaming on Twitch, but they've been awol for almost a year. :(

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I need to give boneworks a try again, I got stuck on a puzzle that was pretty boring and it's hard to look up quick answers in VR mode

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Booyah- posted:

I need to give boneworks a try again, I got stuck on a puzzle that was pretty boring and it's hard to look up quick answers in VR mode

Same for me and Obduction

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Nocheez posted:

Holding your hand over your mouth to keep yourself from coughing would be silly if you had to push a button to do it, but when you have to do it in VR to survive it's incredibly effective.

Bullshit! Deadly Premonition rules

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Booyah- posted:

Pause, open steam menu, desktop, literally your computer desktop with your browser you can search for things via the keyboard below??

Just remember to close that chrome window afterwards or it'll eat all your ram.

Zaphod42 posted:

My counter-argument is the time you spend in VR playing Alyx will acclimate you more to VR and then playing janky games will be less uncomfortable.

Yeah playing boneworks seated you did probably skip half the issues.

Both fair points. Mostly I only played seated since I was whacking my light repeatedly trying to do the climbing puzzles in Boneworks.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

DelphiAegis posted:

Pause, open steam menu, desktop, literally your computer desktop with your browser you can search for things via the keyboard below??

Just remember to close that chrome window afterwards or it'll eat all your ram.
Both fair points. Mostly I only played seated since I was whacking my light repeatedly trying to do the climbing puzzles in Boneworks.

Yeah and while that works for some people, I can't use the desktop view in steam or virtual desktop for actual browsing or any actual clicking. Quick check of a chat window or something? Sure. Input? hahahah nope.

I shake, Bad, Regularly. I know I'm not alone on being unhealthy goon so don't be shocked when people cant "literally" use the thing in front of them and have to take the headset off to work on the desktop again.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Elendil004 posted:

What's good for playing with your friends?
If you like janky horror games, I still adore Phasmophobia

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

thecluckmeme posted:

I just got a Quest 2 to finally scratch the itch that is The Room VR, since I've exhausted literally every The Room-adjacent game available on Steam and Google Play. I'm on Vacation Simulator now and really digging how I can just pop headphones on, wheel my office chair into the middle of the room, and play games.

Zuckerberg will get my real name and email when he pries them from my cold dead fingers :hai:

If you like puzzle stuff like that, don't miss out on grabbing 'I expect you to die'.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
In preparation for my Quest 2, I decided to make a Facebook account. Put in my real name, as soon as it was "created" it was disable for suspicious activity. I hadn't done poo poo, not a thing. Didn't access the site, did nothing. They asked me to upload a pic of my face... and I did...

I just loving feel like canceling my Amazon order right now and maybe save up for an Index. Goddamn it.

edit: Facetiousness aside, is there anything I can do? I just spent $300 on a device that as of now is useless to me. I can just send it back, I guess, but this is a huge pain in the rear end I didn't need right now.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 1, 2021

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Is there a way to play Quest 2 games via Air Link? I wanted to try out Carve Snowboarding with higher resolution but Air Link seems to just open the Oculus Rift store. Does this same limitation exist if you use a link cable?

Pop:1 on Quest 2 w/ Air Link is pretty cool, completely removed the loading times for me, which was like 40 seconds on first boot without. The resolution was a tad better, but still nowhere near as clear as the Index. It also introduced just enough lag to make it noticeably worse than not using AL, but to be fair this was my first time trying and I've done zero work to optimize my network.

I also forgot how horrible the Quest 2 controllers are. And the sound. My god the sound is so bad. I have to fight 'headset not detected' nearly 90% of the time I try to use SteamVR/Index but god drat it's worth it.

Except for Minigolf and Eleven Table Tennis, those should be bundled with the Quest.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

King Vidiot posted:

In preparation for my Quest 2, I decided to make a Facebook account. Put in my real name, as soon as it was "created" it was disable for suspicious activity. I hadn't done poo poo, not a thing. Didn't access the site, did nothing. They asked me to upload a pic of my face... and I did...

I just loving feel like canceling my Amazon order right now and maybe save up for an Index. Goddamn it.

lmao get out of here you're worried about nothing facebook will leave oculus alone they'll never require a facebook account you're being paranoid*

*Read this post like it was 4~ years ago

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Nuts and Gum posted:

Is there a way to play Quest 2 games via Air Link? I wanted to try out Carve Snowboarding with higher resolution but Air Link seems to just open the Oculus Rift store. Does this same limitation exist if you use a link cable?

No, Quest games run natively so unless they have a separate PC version you only play them standalone.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Tom Guycot posted:

If you like puzzle stuff like that, don't miss out on grabbing 'I expect you to die'.

That's next on my list. I am annoyed by some games not letting you sit and play. I'm playing through Floor Plan 2 and while it has Giant Mode which seems to skip past the height difference, it is absolutely adamant I am within six inches of something to grab it compared to vacation simulator and the room vr. Then it's way of keeping items is to look straight down at a fanny pack (in an office chair that sucks) and drops items you lost directly below your feet... this poo poo sucks

I've switched to just standing but bending down to the floor every time it loses something is frustrating

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

Nuts and Gum posted:

Pop:1 on Quest 2 w/ Air Link is pretty cool, completely removed the loading times for me, which was like 40 seconds on first boot without. The resolution was a tad better, but still nowhere near as clear as the Index. It also introduced just enough lag to make it noticeably worse than not using AL, but to be fair this was my first time trying and I've done zero work to optimize my network.

You can crank up the resolution in device settings on the PC Oculus app. Turn airlink on, and after your Quest 2 connects it will appear in the devices list.

The maximum resolution on the slider is what will get you closest to 'native' pixel mapping on the display:
https://twitter.com/volgaksoy/status/1328145529042137088?s=19

.Ataraxia. fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 1, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m on quest V29 and I still don’t have a 120hz option. What the hell do I do to enable it?

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
I just bought Into the Radius again after refunding it awhile ago. I got it when it was right before release, and I had to stop because it was more jank than most games. Stuff like ammo you buy falls through the floor and the such. Now I'm actually impressed how much they have worked on it. It feels so much better now, and it looks like they are about to do an even bigger update soon. I just like seeing that much dedication to a vr game.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

truther posted:

That screenshot with a low-poly DOOM and Naruto lyrics is great haha

Thanks! He's actually based on a photo of one of the earliest humanoid robots.

I had a lot of fun making homage album covers to represent the different styles of lyrics generation, here's a better look at that one:

And some of my other favorites:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Man, VR sucks sometimes. I should have stretched before playing before some games with intense, sudden movement, I hurt myself a bit on the right arm. This doesn't happen with 2d games! :P

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1465070/Legendary_Tales/

This looks like the prototype of something good. They just need 30 developers and two years more of development time!
Oh wait...

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Booyah- posted:

Same. I couldn't find a way to interact with the puzzle and just said gently caress it

King Vidiot posted:

edit: Facetiousness aside, is there anything I can do? I just spent $300 on a device that as of now is useless to me. I can just send it back, I guess, but this is a huge pain in the rear end I didn't need right now.

I honestly have no better idea than you do, but you sound fairly boned unless Facebook has a moderation appeal feature

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Are you completely locked out of the device, even Link and AirLink, if your Facebook account is locked or shut down, like is it functionally unusable barring a factory reset and creating a new account?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Marxalot posted:

I honestly have no better idea than you do, but you sound fairly boned unless Facebook has a moderation appeal feature

Well I submitted a face pic for "review", like I assume my pictures are still floating around out there even if Facebook supposedly deactivated my account and deleted everything like ten years ago. But I'm not a social media person, I don't do selfies and there's no pic of me online from anywhere in the last ten years. So who knows if the creepy algorithm will just decide if I am who I say I am.

It certainly makes me not want to link my Facebook-free Oculus account to a Facebook account. I mean what if everything's fine for a few days, this poo poo happens again and then my Rift S is also bricked?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
did you assume that your facebook deletion from 8 years ago went perfectly and then tried to create an account with an entirely different email address?

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Turin Turambar posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1465070/Legendary_Tales/

This looks like the prototype of something good. They just need 30 developers and two years more of development time!
Oh wait...

There is no way in hell this isn't completely broken in multiplayer but I'm into it regardless.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

did you assume that your facebook deletion from 8 years ago went perfectly and then tried to create an account with an entirely different email address?

Silly me for telling Facebook "yes, I really for real want you to deactivate and delete everything" and then not touching it ever again. And I had to use a different email address on account of my other one also being long gone now. :shrug:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

And when did you do that? I guess you have to wait a few days until is reviewed.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

King Vidiot posted:

Silly me for telling Facebook "yes, I really for real want you to deactivate and delete everything" and then not touching it ever again. And I had to use a different email address on account of my other one also being long gone now. :shrug:

Funny because you yourself implied you were suspicious about the delete function, yet you behaved in a way completely opposite to those beliefs

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hmm yes Mr Vidiot if that is your real name, you claim to have deleted your Facebook account yet here you are, on Facebook. A likely story if ever I've seen one.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Imagine thinking this

quote:

"I fully deleted my account the last time I quit. Like "Oh, welcome back King Vidiot! Here is every picture of you taken from birth to last year, here are all of your friends and family and here's a list of everything you purchased last month. Would you like us to dump all this private info on your timeline, yes/yes/maybe."

and then resolving to create a new account referencing the same person with different login info.

I mean the system sucks but I thought we all knew this and could anticipate it at least on some level?

edit: I get that the email address doesn't exist anymore... but what were you doing creating social media accounts with adelphia.net email addresses?

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 1, 2021

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

You come across as victim-blaming pretty hard here. Just to be clear, there's no amount of ratiocination that makes this anything other than 100% Facebook's fault.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

... but what were you doing creating social media accounts with adelphia.net email addresses?

what the heck

what does this even mean?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

They're probably "joking" but apparently whatever adelphia is, it's been used for suspicious activity a lot? Like, I'm sure that my account is fine, my dad had the same problem and all he did was deactivate (not delete) his account and then reactivate it. Same "upload a photo" prompt, waited a bit and then used it fine ever since.

My big issue is more the fact that if it's this easy to just find yourself with a disabled account it makes me nervous. I thought most of the people complaining about their accounts getting disabled were actively posting... anything... on Facebook. I wasn't really even planning to do that, I was just going to make one, add friends and family if I need to (if they hit me up first) and then just leave it untouched so I can play with the Quest 2.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
It's against Facebook's T&Cs to have more than one personal account (not defending this, it just is), and there have been phishing scams where people (or bots) copy people's legit profiles and then send friend requests to the there friends. Maybe an algorithm automatically matched up the name and face to the old account and that's why it got deactivated?

Again not defending this, it sucks, just trying to help figure out what might have happened.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Two more Vive Pro 2 reviews

https://www.roadtovr.com/htc-vive-pro-2-review/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3t2uhf6zHI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I just got the (good deal!) tier 2 Fanatical bundle.

It included a steam code for Sprint Vector, a game I already own.

Please quote this post if you take the code. If I notice that has happened I will attempt to edit it.

edit: it's gone!

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 2, 2021