Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
To be honest I almost skipped asking for a PPI. It had $6k of work in December 2018, at least, including ims rms and some timing bits. No AOS though that I see in the records that I posted so that could be due. I’ll see if I can talk the seller into one. Hopefully there is a decent place near Toledo.

And no, the red guy never even replied to my emails. It’s long gone. The market is absolutely bonkers right now. The only reason this car isn’t sold to someone else right now is that the original first buyer from the listing couldn’t get a loan after putting a deposit down. I messaged him within 4 hours of it posting but I didn’t want to come up to 22 so he took the deposit and took the listing down. A couple days later I followed up despite the listing being gone asking if it was sold and, alas, it was still available. He said he was planning on fixing the couple issues with it and listing it in the fall for 25+, but he would honor his offer to me of 22 from before, but no lower.

I’m not convinced he could get much more than 25 for it even in today’s market with the barebones spec and retrofitted front end, but he is still firm at 22 despite these things (and the possible oil leak, door latch corrosion etc). Who knows though, it is very clean and drives amazingly.

It would be a 3rd car for a household with 2 drivers, with only one commuting on any regular basis. Primary family car is a 2011 A8L w 117k I got for 14k and my wife’s old car is a 2006 Saab 9-3 w 124k (5 speed). I sold my 2007 S4 last year for 12.5 which is what I’m trying to replace, in a way. I dailied that but I won’t the 911. At least not year ‘round. I’ve been commuting in the saab which is fine for winter and beater duties. Financially it wouldn’t put me in the poor house but if it needed a major repair in the immediate future it would start cutting into the emergency fund. It would be my most expensive car purchase to date.

And again, thanks for all the tips and input.

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yeah, so I took a better look at it and figured the throttle body was a better angle. The 996 gave me another gently caress you and made me get the alternator off as well as the charging cable was right over the back bolt of the tube. Since I had the cooling system already drained I could move the alternator enough from just removing the front bracket (part of the cooling system :downs: ) and that let me get at both bolts. Otherwise, the left intake comes off and I was NOT in the mood.

And what a pain in the dick to put back in. I could get one bolt but not the other. I finally got them after about an hour of loving around so I am now officially on re-assembly.

gently caress you plastic fill tube.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

This is obviously way less desirable but would be a lot easier on my wallet. I'd prefer a 2 coupe but beggars can't be choosers.

I messaged back and forth with this guy last October and he said 14,5 is his bottom dollar. He's probably gone up a bit since then but it was listed at 16 all the same.

The hardback sport seats aren't on the options sticker so it's had some interior work/upgrades. Steering wheel, shifter and ebrake also look like they are from a .2. Close enough for me to check out.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I mean it is a fun car so you can wait for what you want. Do you want a soft top? If so would you even look at a Boxster?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I want the theoretical possibility of putting children in the back.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

If they are small enough they could fit in the frunk.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

willroc7 posted:

This is obviously way less desirable but would be a lot easier on my wallet. I'd prefer a 2 coupe but beggars can't be choosers.

I messaged back and forth with this guy last October and he said 14,5 is his bottom dollar. He's probably gone up a bit since then but it was listed at 16 all the same.

The hardback sport seats aren't on the options sticker so it's had some interior work/upgrades. Steering wheel, shifter and ebrake also look like they are from a .2. Close enough for me to check out.
It's your call.

Got a link for the rest of the pics/ad? I only see your screen grab

Oh gently caress a tip?

Man, your call but that's 2 *huge* negatives... but you do you. What happened with the silver one?

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Cabs are underrated and I kind of wish I had one now. That's a pretty solid deal compared to the other cars and I doubt you'd regret a softtop as a 3rd car driven on nice days

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

slidebite posted:

It's your call.

Got a link for the rest of the pics/ad? I only see your screen grab

Oh gently caress a tip?

Man, your call but that's 2 *huge* negatives... but you do you. What happened with the silver one?

He listed it incorrectly, it's a 6 speed.

Silver one is out of town until next week.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3620508174719701/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, if you're OK with a cab for the price seems pretty decent. The AWD is not exactly sought after either, but hey, if it floats your boat and scratches the itch it's good. I doubt you'd lose at that price.

The replaced steering wheel is odd though - the 993 wheel that the early 996s have are typically viewed as a positive. I wonder if it had an airbag deployment? The way the option sticker is on the frunk is weird too. I wonder if it was salvaged and they tried to put it on a new hood?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

The AWD is not exactly sought after either, but hey, if it floats your boat and scratches the itch it's good. I doubt you'd lose at that price.

Willroc7 have you driven a 996 before? Any 911? The AWD makes them feel heavy. Don't let that fool you, they are actually faster around a track if that's the kind of thing you're worried about but in your case I wouldn't be. The RWD ones feel like a 911. They are a joy to drive. The AWD is fine, but it takes away from the experience in my opinion.

At least it's not actually a tip.

Agreed with what Slidebite has to say later here too. But at $15k you're not gonna really get much else unless you're willing to look at Boxsters. Which you should. They are even more fun to drive. And you don't have to pretend that you have a way to put kids back there for all 3 or 4 years of their lives that they could possibly fit if you hit just the right set of those years.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Took the Boxster up AZ 88 early this morning before it was filled with trucks towing boats to Canyon Lake. There is a 9 mile stretch after the lake that just ends so I was chasing sports bikes up and down for an hour. Today I also noticed that the stereo will adjust the volume of the radio depending on wind speed when you have the top down so blasting through the canyons with flat 6 induction noise and early 2000 angry white man metal was fun. Lots of off camber corners with different grades and what not and it was perfectly predictable and balanced through it all. Had to slow down a few times and wait for a spot to pass people on Harleys who seem to think it was a road suited for their heavy cruising boomer cycles.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Motronic posted:

Willroc7 have you driven a 996 before? Any 911? The AWD makes them feel heavy. Don't let that fool you, they are actually faster around a track if that's the kind of thing you're worried about but in your case I wouldn't be. The RWD ones feel like a 911. They are a joy to drive. The AWD is fine, but it takes away from the experience in my opinion.

Agreed with what Slidebite has to say later here too. But at $15k you're not gonna really get much else unless you're willing to look at Boxsters. Which you should. They are even more fun to drive. And you don't have to pretend that you have a way to put kids back there for all 3 or 4 years of their lives that they could possibly fit if you hit just the right set of those years.
I think that's a good thought.

Personally, if I were in the market for a convertible experience, I'd probably lean towards a Boxster as well. Cheaper, mid engined, they really do seem to be better bang-for-the-buck and those that have them seem to really enjoy them, like Paddy^^

That said, I think the best bang-buck 911 experience is still probably a 996 C2, the earlier the better, but I understand the predicament of what's available.

FWIW I don't think Boxsters are going to lose value either... but I'm not sure if I would personally be happy with a cab or C4 after having an early lightweight C2 without a bunch of nanny stuff.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

+1 on the boxster, they also look better proportioned imho as it was a convertible from the get go and the mid engine layout.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I was going to say the hardtop helps a bit, but I take that back.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Get the porsche with the engine in the race car position.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

Personally, if I were in the market for a convertible experience, I'd probably lean towards a Boxster as well. Cheaper, mid engined, they really do seem to be better bang-for-the-buck and those that have them seem to really enjoy them, like Paddy^^

They are hilariously fun to drive. It's like a go kart. Much more forgiving than a 911, even one with super SportChronoPASMferromagneticSportMode.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys
So has the allocation situation improved at all for a new order? At this point I think I might just order a new Boxster S, but last I looked ~1 yr ago people were having to do things like hit up dealers 500+ miles away for allocation to take delivery 6-9+ months out.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Finished the job, fired up refused to idle, stumbles, as soon as I touch the accelerator instantly dies.

Sigh.

Figure must be a massive vacuum leak from when I put the throttle body/plenum boots on. Time to take that poo poo back apart and Re & Re. Luckily that's an hour job.

Also discovered a massive cooling leak on that alternator bracket. Seems "someone" :ninja: totally missed torquing down a bolt :downs:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

EnergizerFellow posted:

So has the allocation situation improved at all for a new order? At this point I think I might just order a new Boxster S, but last I looked ~1 yr ago people were having to do things like hit up dealers 500+ miles away for allocation to take delivery 6-9+ months out.

Hasn’t playing games to get allocations always been like that tho? Maybe just for limited or high end models? With the supply chain issues globally I can’t see it would have gotten better.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EnergizerFellow posted:

Not really from what I hear. You’ll probably have to email a few dealers to find something, especially if you want something soon.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Motronic posted:

I've driven 3 so far, only 2 properly as one had busted brakes on the test drive. The first real drive was in a c2 cab, and although i prefer the coupe, I was ready to buy it as it had 52k miles and was going for 15k last year. I got talked out of buying it, thankfully, here, as it looked like it had been hit hard and put back together poorly. The power delivery was really exhilarating though, even as a cab.

Second one was the silver coupe we've been mostly discussing. It's more money than I'm fully comfortable spending but I can't stop thinking about it. I haven't driven a c4 or c4 cab yet.

I want to be able to share the experience of the car, part of the time, even if briefly, with my kiddos. Historically I am an Audi guy (occasionally VW) so in the past week I also looked at and drove a b7 rs4 cab and a b8 s4 (which was NUTTERS fast with just a s1 tune) but I keep coming back to the 996.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

willroc7 posted:

I've driven 3 so far, only 2 properly as one had busted brakes on the test drive. The first real drive was in a c2 cab, and although i prefer the coupe, I was ready to buy it as it had 52k miles and was going for 15k last year. I got talked out of buying it, thankfully, here, as it looked like it had been hit hard and put back together poorly. The power delivery was really exhilarating though, even as a cab.

Second one was the silver coupe we've been mostly discussing. It's more money than I'm fully comfortable spending but I can't stop thinking about it. I haven't driven a c4 or c4 cab yet.

I want to be able to share the experience of the car, part of the time, even if briefly, with my kiddos. Historically I am an Audi guy (occasionally VW) so in the past week I also looked at and drove a b7 rs4 cab and a b8 s4 (which was NUTTERS fast with just a s1 tune) but I keep coming back to the 996.

So you've never really driven a 911, and you're not "fully comfortable" spending $22k on a car that needs $80k car maintenance. Which is a price point that puts you into something that very likely will need maintenance and soon.

I'm gonna go right on back to the BFC part of this thread and say you can't afford a good example of a 911. And cheap 911s are very expensive 911s.

As someone with two kids, who owned Porsches throughout the time when they could fit back there........sure, they remember it. But it's just a car to them.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Finally finished it. I re & re the throttle body and plenum boots again last night. It really is a pain in the dick - super tight and, like everything else awkward to get at with man sized hands. But I was more careful, took my time, made sure everything was seated well and fired right up and purred. So yay me I guess.

No leaks from where I did the work - after a 30 minute rip I did see a drop on the ground that came off the via the exhaust, but I am pretty sure it's from the overflow when burping. I'll put it back up on the quickjack tonight and that a better look at it and give it a seasonal oil change at the same time. Mrs. Slidebite is now happy because she forbid me from ever dying with either the Porsche or bike in pieces, so now I am free to get hit buy a bus.

Motronic posted:

So you've never really driven a 911, and you're not "fully comfortable" spending $22k on a car that needs $80k car maintenance. Which is a price point that puts you into something that very likely will need maintenance and soon.

I'm gonna go right on back to the BFC part of this thread and say you can't afford a good example of a 911. And cheap 911s are very expensive 911s.
I totally get you and agree with this.

But, to be fair to willroc, I was a little uneasy spending $20K+ on a "toy" as well, (and this isn't a weird flex) but I had the financial resources to easily do it so I did. I bought mine probably at the bottom of the market (I think it was $20K :canada:?) and the ownership of it has been about what I expected with a 20 year old car. It seems like I always need to do "something" on it. Like, for example, after this last go-around with the hoses, I know I am on a clock with every bit of rubber on that thing that sees heat. I am certainly not eager to do it, and tbh I'll probably sell it before I do all of them, but :shrug:.. but it's something that should get done eventually. Probably concerns me enough that I won't take it on a trip further than a couple hours from home but I'm a chicken poo poo.

Judging by willrocs posting, mine probably worth $5K+ now, if not more. Would I have paid $25K-$30K for it now? I'm in an even better financial position that I was 4 years ago... but knowing what I know now I probably wouldn't. But that could be because I've now owned one for some time and that itch is scratched, at least somewhat.

A cheap Porsche can absolutely become an expensive Porsche, and arguably likely will, but at the same token spending an additional $5-$15K on one certainly isn't guaranteed to get a better example. It should make it more likely, but unless you buy something with a refreshed engine (my biggest single fear) I don't know if you're going to get away from always needing to do something on it with the risk of something major (major IMHO <$5K+).

That said, most of the ones that willroc has posted haven't floated my boat, except maybe that red one, and all the others set off alarm bells in one form or another.

My advice would be if you are set on a 996 to wait until a truly nice one comes along at a price you can reasonably afford.. and if that means never so be it. I realize you have German car experience but a 10 year old Audi is probably going to be better maintenance and expense wise than a 22 year old Porsche.

I also think the option of a Boxster is a good one. You get the "Porsche" experience, less financial risk so it hedges your bets.

But, if you really need to scratch that itch, caveat emptor and be absolutely at peace with yourself if you drop $22K on something that you cannot drive for ~reasons~

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 31, 2021

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Is a quart every 4K miles normal or a sign of bore scoring? Silver one.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

willroc7 posted:

If it's normal driving it's a bit much. There can be other reasons why, e.g. seals, AOS

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

But, to be fair to willroc, I was a little uneasy spending $20K+ on a "toy" as well, (and this isn't a weird flex) but I had the financial resources to easily do it so I did.

That's not a weird flex at all. It's sensible and sane. And what I'm getting at when I quote things like all of the "not comfortable" stuff. If you're "not comfortable" dropping $20k+ on a toy but have the means to buy an $80k toy go for it. If you're "not comfortable" buying a $20k+ toy because a $5k repair will ruin you you don't have $20+k toy car money.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Motronic posted:

That's not a weird flex at all. It's sensible and sane. And what I'm getting at when I quote things like all of the "not comfortable" stuff. If you're "not comfortable" dropping $20k+ on a toy but have the means to buy an $80k toy go for it. If you're "not comfortable" buying a $20k+ toy because a $5k repair will ruin you you don't have $20+k toy car money.
Concur 100%

willroc7 posted:

Sounds a little high tbh.

fwiw I don't add a drop at all in mine between oil changes, but I probably only do 2-3K a year, give or take.

Which car is this for?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

slidebite posted:

Concur 100%
Sounds a little high tbh.

fwiw I don't add a drop at all in mine between oil changes, but I probably only do 2-3K a year, give or take.

Which car is this for?

This one:
my photos:
https://imgur.com/a/X3a2gqt
carfax:
https://imgur.com/a/V2zTOSF
seller's photos:
https://imgur.com/a/DCktXCj

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, my thoughts on that car are not changed. I see some things on it which rub me the wrong way, but that doesn't mean it's a wreck.... just concerns. I see shop visits in the winter which might explain the bit of corrosion it does have. Not necessarily a big deal, just not what I would like.

Personally I'd wait but if you are infatuated with it maybe it's something you just need to do.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This is turning into swirling indecision, waiting for someone else to give permission because he knows it's not the right thing to do, but still fixated on "buying a 911".

Dude, just stop. Stop looking. Wait 6 months and see if you feel the same way and actually have the money to do this. But you need to stop. This much posting about bottom feeding the 911 market is a gigantic red flag when it's also clear you don't know anything about them or have the ability to wrench on them. Your VW and Audi claimed "pedigree" don't matter for this. It's not gatekeeping. It's hard economic reality.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I personally wouldn't buy an AWD version of any car that isn't actually an AWD-specific car model meant to go rallying, but if you want to buy the car the worst case scenario is you lose a lot of money and provide content, or it's possible you're happy with it and it works fine.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Motronic posted:

This is turning into swirling indecision, waiting for someone else to give permission because he knows it's not the right thing to do, but still fixated on "buying a 911".

Dude, just stop. Stop looking. Wait 6 months and see if you feel the same way and actually have the money to do this. But you need to stop. This much posting about bottom feeding the 911 market is a gigantic red flag when it's also clear you don't know anything about them or have the ability to wrench on them. Your VW and Audi claimed "pedigree" don't matter for this. It's not gatekeeping. It's hard economic reality.
I agree with you that this much indecision is a sign that he should give it a rest for a bit, but I don't think it's fair to make assumptions about his ability to work on them, his capacity to learn, or his economic wherewithal to pay someone to make problems go away ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

worst case scenario is you lose a lot of money and provide content

I can do this.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Ether Frenzy posted:

I personally wouldn't buy an AWD version of any car that isn't actually an AWD-specific car model meant to go rallying, but if you want to buy the car the worst case scenario is you lose a lot of money and provide content, or it's possible you're happy with it and it works fine.

You can easily disconnect the front on 996s with getting levels of completeness if you end up hating it that much. It's pretty common since the AWD on these is completely passive but also I'm not aware of any AWD problems on these either.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

How is that typically done? Remove driveshaft? Front axles? All of the above?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

At this point I have been looking for almost a year and I still want one so I'm not sure what good waiting 6 months will do, outside of letting the market continue to climb outside my price range. I'm not looking for permission, I am trying to use a resource of more knowledgeable individuals to make as informed a decision as possible. You all talked me out of buying a convertible last year because of tell-tale signs of a significant accident that I did not catch. That almost certainly saved me serious heart-ache, and I do appreciate it.

If you look at the market right now, a 996 C2 coupe w/ 65k on it, even with its warts, seems like a drat good deal at $22k to me. If you can find a better one, please share it. I posted at the top of this page the only reason the car is not sold a week or two ago. The aircooled market hasn't come back down to earth and I don't see any reason for the 996's to do anything but moon either.

Motronic, man, I'm not sure what I did to offend you but you are really coming across unnecessarily cantankerous to me. I wasn't trying to claim any "pedigree" with my previous car experiences, I was just explaining I have other cars to use in the garage and that I won't be relying on the 996 for anything other than fun.

Financially speaking, I don't want to have to sell all my doge, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Motronic knows owning any car or house is an endless journey of tasks that never end and likes to remind everyone of this in some hope of getting good decisions. It hilariously never works.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

If you think I'm hemming and hawing over buying a car, you would not have wanted to be along for my house shopping ride. I spent 3 years of "swirling indecision" shopping for my house and I've been nothing but pleased with it. I'm happier every day that I bought it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

willroc7 posted:

If you think I'm hemming and hawing over buying a car, you would not have wanted to be along for my house shopping ride. I spent 3 years of "swirling indecision" shopping for my house and I've been nothing but pleased with it. I'm happier every day that I bought it.

Pfffft, amateur. It took me years to finally pull the trigger on an OLED to replace my lovely plasma TV.

I bought the first house I saw. :v: