Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Bedurndurn posted:

NGU

For people on the other end of things who are nearing the end of the game, be aware that Hacks have a maximum level. If you put R3 into leveling that hack, the progress bar will fill and reset, but the level will stay the same. You can set the target level for your hack higher than it or even use the little milestone (+) button to target a milestone higher than is actually possible.

This is a problem if you're leveling hacks because it will not progress to the next hack, so if you ate a bunch of gamma R3 potions and left your PC on over the weekend, that would suck.

So what is the max level? It's apparently a secret, because the game doesn't seem to tell me. And it's different between hacks. My page 1 hacks capped between 7700 and 7200. My page 2s from the 7000-6700s.

If you try and type 9999999 in the box I believe it defaults to the highest level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Bedurndurn posted:

NGU
You can set the target level for your hack higher than it or even use the little milestone (+) button to target a milestone higher than is actually possible.

For me when I put in a target level higher than the cap, it clamps back down to the cap.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Okay... WTF that works for me and sets it to the right max level. Is it just the + button that can make it do dumb poo poo?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah - if your hack level is set to the cap then hitting + will go to the next (only remaining) valid number it can be set to, which is "grind this forever" 0.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

For anyone playing Ethereal Farm, here's my current 7x6 setup. I've run a few different configurations but this one seems to consistently pull the highest numbers right now. Spoilered since some folks probably don't want to see it.

And through fruit fusing I made this baby:

I have another one that's just fruit and shrooms with grow speed but I'm not sure that's better unless I'm actively playing, which is almost never.
I'm up to auto-upgrading, auto-planting, and auto-unlocking. The game's just figuring out how I want to manage ethereal upgrades now. It's very satisfying and I wonder where the next major patch is gonna take things.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
In NGU Industries....is there some quick-key to just chuck everything you've got into the muslukk pit?

Clicking on each item and confirming has gotten annoying.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ethereal farm: Am I missing something? I just unlocked mistletoe after the second transcendence.

Mistletoe is supposed to generate twigs when the basic tree levels up, right? I've had 2-3 mistletoe around it from level 0 to 5, and haven't gotten a single twig from it yet.
Is it a seasonal thing, since mistletoe is very much regarded as a fall/winter plant?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

SubNat posted:

Ethereal farm: Am I missing something? I just unlocked mistletoe after the second transcendence.

Mistletoe is supposed to generate twigs when the basic tree levels up, right? I've had 2-3 mistletoe around it from level 0 to 5, and haven't gotten a single twig from it yet.
Is it a seasonal thing, since mistletoe is very much regarded as a fall/winter plant?

You'll get the twigs when you transcend. It doesn't show up in the info bar until you transcend for the first time after unlocking/using them. I believe if you click on the Tree it'll show you how many you've generated before then.

e: Also, I would recommend only running with a single Mistletoe outside of Autumn, the resin penalty is pretty strong once you get past one and without the Twigs bonus from Autumn it is rarely worth it. You might find this layout more beneficial for you:

Klungar fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 27, 2021

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Alrighty, thanks! That explains it.
That absolutely feels like an ui/ux oversight, with how it was described I was expecting a couple twigs to trickle in every time it levelled up, not as a bulk thing after transcending.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

SubNat posted:

Alrighty, thanks! That explains it.
That absolutely feels like an ui/ux oversight, with how it was described I was expecting a couple twigs to trickle in every time it levelled up, not as a bulk thing after transcending.

In future runs, you will still only get Twigs when you transcend, just like Resin, but you will see it in the top info bar like you do Resin.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I finished FE000000 and absolutely loved it (except it makes you deal with the eternity challenge mechanics a few too many times.) It really hits the sweet spot of "do thing, do thing faster, do thing mostly automated, ignore thing forever." Any other games with similar pacing?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Did you try Prestige Tree?

Many of us found that very enjoyable when it released like half a year ago.

Its kinda short, shorter than FE00000, but similar in that you keep resetting and going back to early stages but have them sped up.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
That one...might have a bit too much resetting. Or really it's just the UI issue of having to go back and click every single upgrade every time you reset something. It feels practically unplayable without a hotkey for that.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Its less resetty than FE00000000 in my opinion, it is much better at speeding up previous layers (particularly n-2) than FE000000, but yeah getting to layer 3 takes a lot of going between P and B/G

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Yeah Prestige Tree and most of its mods are really more like really active games that take a couple of days to finish. I think the longest time I had to wait for a new upgrade in Incrementreeverse was 15 minutes.
E: Oh and for a lot of them that have buyables, it's pretty much required to hold enter to buy multiples, or you will have to click 300 times per reset.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Sindai posted:

I finished FE000000 and absolutely loved it (except it makes you deal with the eternity challenge mechanics a few too many times.) It really hits the sweet spot of "do thing, do thing faster, do thing mostly automated, ignore thing forever." Any other games with similar pacing?

Distance Incremental is one of my recent favorites and very similar.

Matter Dimensions is a bit stingy with the automation currently, but still in development and seems to be trending towards what you like.

And if you haven't played it yet, Antimatter Dimensions is the OG of this kind of sub-genre, and still holds up pretty well.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Nibble posted:

And if you haven't played it yet, Antimatter Dimensions is the OG of this kind of sub-genre, and still holds up pretty well.

Actually, I think you'll find it's Derivative Clicker :eng101:
Also speaking of Distance Incremental, I liked Incremental Mass https://mrredshark77.github.io/incremental-mass/

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 09:27 on May 30, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

GrossMurpel posted:

Yeah Prestige Tree and most of its mods are really more like really active games that take a couple of days to finish. I think the longest time I had to wait for a new upgrade in Incrementreeverse was 15 minutes.
E: Oh and for a lot of them that have buyables, it's pretty much required to hold enter to buy multiples, or you will have to click 300 times per reset.

The end of Prestige Tree was a little grindy, but that's because I don't have time to sit at the computer and do the upgrade loop for two hours. The rest was clever enough.

What's everyone's favorite modded trees? I just opened up Prestreestuck randomly.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Prestreestuck is pretty great up until about the last Act 0 layer or two - Meta has been improved from where it was but still requires precise timing where nothing else did, and once you are past that there is absolutely no sign of how much you have to grind before you reach Act 1 (I'm half-inclined to believe Act 1 is a hoax in fact); the layer before it is a little choppy in some places. But if you just started that's a ways off and it's again great before that point.

The Prestige Chain is kinda grindy but has enough good fundamentals that now that I've remembered it, I would definitely go back to it.

TreeQuest is very good, but way way way too short and not an idler. I really wish it was longer.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Jhet posted:

What's everyone's favorite modded trees? I just opened up Prestreestuck randomly.

Holy moly, you can multibuy space generators by holding left click :woop:. Why doesn't every prestige tree mod have that?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

GrossMurpel posted:

Holy moly, you can multibuy space generators by holding left click :woop:. Why doesn't every prestige tree mod have that?

I dunno, some seem really bad at adding hotkeys at all.

I opened up TreeQuest and like the concept, but I haven't had time to actually play it. Takes concentration I don't have this weekend.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

So, anyone who's tried out the NGU Idle final update RC: how big of a troll is the cooking "feature"? (scare quotes 4G's, from his discord summary)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Akratic Method posted:

So, anyone who's tried out the NGU Idle final update RC: how big of a troll is the cooking "feature"? (scare quotes 4G's, from his discord summary)

Cooking has always been an important stat in NGU Idle. How dare you suggest that it's a troll feature. (I don't know, haven't seen the update yet.)

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

time to refarm the bolton set

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Aurora posted:

time to refarm the bolton set

Hey, I've still got my joker and my rainbow heart.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Where are we hearing about an update to NGU?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
i swear to god if caramelized onions don't make it into the cooking feature i'm going to do absolutely nothing :colbert:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

Where are we hearing about an update to NGU?

In the channel about testing poo poo in the discord. Link is in-game if you care, but it's just test stuff and you'd know if you were invited.

... I wasn't either (and don't need to be).

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

For those not stalking 4G across time, space, and web sites, from the testing-poo poo channel of the NGU discord:

4G posted:

what is currently in: cooking "feature", 2 lore titans, all the boss arts, last end item, final end sequence if assembled and done right
to test: literally every function that exists
changed the engine, idk if there's weird fringe stuff behaving weird now or nbot

And someone in the channel posted this screen shot, so apparently cooking is a real actual feature and the scare quotes are just 4G being self-deprecating.

But I am not the original source of this information, and don't have the alpha version being tested so as for the details, :shrug:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Why isn't the Lobster Radium?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

pixaal posted:

Why isn't the Lobster Radium?

Presumably 4G doesn't want to introduce load-bearing slurs.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I was kinda bummed when I unlocked automation in Ethereal Farm... and it pretty much does nothing except provide you with templates + the passive benefits from having it on the ethereal farm.

Is the Auto-update thing you get from tier 2/Ethereal Tree lvl2 the kind of update that means automation can update the plants in my field, and I only need to slap down/apply the templates, or is it just 'auto-buys the sidebar updates', and I have to get even further in for it to be able to do stuff with my plants?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

SubNat posted:

I was kinda bummed when I unlocked automation in Ethereal Farm... and it pretty much does nothing except provide you with templates + the passive benefits from having it on the ethereal farm.

Is the Auto-update thing you get from tier 2/Ethereal Tree lvl2 the kind of update that means automation can update the plants in my field, and I only need to slap down/apply the templates, or is it just 'auto-buys the sidebar updates', and I have to get even further in for it to be able to do stuff with my plants?

Tier 2 automates the buying of sidebar updates
Tier 3 will plant unlocked plants onto your template or upgrade existing plants to the next tier when you unlock the next tier
Tier 4 will unlock the next tier of plants

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

it's not terribly long to fully unlock should be good pacing now.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Alrighty, thanks for the info.
I guess I'll just focus on doing faster transcends for a bit while I accumulate some resin, achievements and etc.
Annoyingly I always keep forgetting to do the 'plant 30x' of things achievements at the end of a run before transcending, ever since I picked up the 6x6 field upgrade.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Prestreestuck is pretty great up until about the last Act 0 layer or two - Meta has been improved from where it was but still requires precise timing where nothing else did, and once you are past that there is absolutely no sign of how much you have to grind before you reach Act 1 (I'm half-inclined to believe Act 1 is a hoax in fact); the layer before it is a little choppy in some places. But if you just started that's a ways off and it's again great before that point.

The Prestige Chain is kinda grindy but has enough good fundamentals that now that I've remembered it, I would definitely go back to it.

TreeQuest is very good, but way way way too short and not an idler. I really wish it was longer.

I'm currently in the metaness layer, being stuck on 750 meta-metaness. Any idea how to proceed?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

I'm currently in the metaness layer, being stuck on 750 meta-metaness. Any idea how to proceed?

Guessing you might have figured it out yourself based on the Discord, but at this point you're probably going to have to try and manually reset (not hard reset, but do a reset of a currency that automates itself).

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Guessing you might have figured it out yourself based on the Discord, but at this point you're probably going to have to try and manually reset (not hard reset, but do a reset of a currency that automates itself).

I'm not on the discord, that's someone else. And I got past the stuff where you have to manually reset to unlock the next tab a while ago.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Thanks for the recommendations, here's my experience:

Prestige Tree: I finished this, but I would not play another similar game. Row 6 almost made me give up because it's the nadir of the bad "reset once every 5 seconds 30 times to advance" part of the gameplay. The tree structure is interesting and it has some neat phases where it switches things up (mastery) and some kind of self-contained branches that work in a neat way (the space nodes) but sometimes it was actually a hard to follow what was going on and how to advance without a guide because upgrades reach all over the map and it can be hard to figure out how to increase the number that's bottle necking you.

The node structure has a lot of potential though, if they were more like self-contained branches and clusters and the lines did a better job of showing which ones were related. It occurs to me you could already represent some well-designed incrementals this way.

Antimatter Dimensions: I think I actually played this before, but I don't think I got much further than infinity challenges, if there. That might have been all the content it had back then. Anyway, I can't go back to this after playing FE000000 since the early game is almost identical except much slower and more active.

Distance Incremental: Started it and had basically the same complaint as AD, restarted in easy mode and it was so comically fast I barely had to use each mechanic before moving on to the next. I thought I was most of the way through the game so I quit, but now I see I was only about a third of the way through so maybe I'll go back.

Having difficulty/speed modes is a good idea though. More incrementals should do that.

Matter Dimensions: A novel twist on AM. It's barely started and I already wish it was stealing FE000000's mechanics, like making the first graviton upgrade scale with the number of graviton resets you've done so you don't have to redo the start of photonic so much. I'm beginning to worry the way FE000000 does autobuyers and prestige milestones has ruined other incrementals for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

I'm not on the discord, that's someone else. And I got past the stuff where you have to manually reset to unlock the next tab a while ago.

The manual reset to progress is not a one time thing, it's through the entire layer right up to having to do it to make it to Act 1. If one currency reset doesn't get new stuff after progression slows down, try the others.

Alternately, you may or may not have bought everything you can on the other tabs, or bought everything you can on that one.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 3, 2021