Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this, but I'm switching jobs and need to figure out what to do with my old outlook e-mail box. Would it be crazy to find an e-mail host capable of importing my email? It's not a ton, only about 5GB or so. Am I overcomplicating this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I think some mail providers will let you do that with a direct IMAP/Pop connection from the new host to the old host. If it doesn't work there are tools like offlineimap/isync which can download the whole mailbox locally and then upload it elsewhere. That's also good for capturing a backup.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

xtal posted:

I think some mail providers will let you do that with a direct IMAP/Pop connection from the new host to the old host. If it doesn't work there are tools like offlineimap/isync which can download the whole mailbox locally and then upload it elsewhere. That's also good for capturing a backup.

Sorry, should have specified, my current workplace is on O365 and has auxilliary 2FA, so not sure how easy that'd be. I was planning on exporting things to a PST, then importing the PST.

Oh. Apparently google can do that?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
if you can get both accounts in outlook at the same time it should be as simple as drag and drop between them.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I just did this when I switched from godaddy o365 to MS-365.

Just create a pst backup of your old mail, then fire up another profile in outlook and connect it to the new account. Then import the pst file into the new account.

It’s pretty easy… calendar, contacts, everything came. Then just leave it open after importing to let it sync your local email to the server

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Residency Evil posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this, but I'm switching jobs and need to figure out what to do with my old outlook e-mail box. Would it be crazy to find an e-mail host capable of importing my email? It's not a ton, only about 5GB or so. Am I overcomplicating this?

Are you allowed to do this? This sounds like it could have legal implications, I'd steer clear

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I've outgrown my $12/yr 1vCPU 768MB OpenVZ box. Turns out InfluxDB can't handle some pretty simple queries against some pretty sparse time series without gobbling up all the RAM. Influx kinda sucks, I fought with it professionally on much bigger boxes, but I had hopes. I want to get something significantly bigger but I have been out of the loop for so long. Where's the best value found these days? I'm looking for low latency to Toronto and a decent chunk of RAM, but I don't need lots of transfer, a fat pipe or a huge amount of storage - although of course it wouldn't hurt. Is this a dumb question?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Contabo's VPS line is a cheap way to get RAM. Their American data centre is in St Louis, Missouri if that's acceptable to you

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
they also charge ludicrous cancellation/late/early cancellation/setup/reactivation fees and send you to collections fwiw, so watch yourself there

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Reading reviews it seems like performance is pretty bad. I'd rather pay more (or alternatively, get smaller banner numbers) for something that is rock-solid than being stuck on another oversold box.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Only thing that's sub-par imo is disk io. Didn't realise they had set-up fees now, they didn't when I first joined and when I changed plan.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Rufus Ping posted:

Only thing that's sub-par imo is disk io. Didn't realise they had set-up fees now, they didn't when I first joined and when I changed plan.

there's quite a bit of cpu steal time too

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved
Instead of InfluxDB check out Timescale and QuestDB. I use Timescale for ApisCP, which piggybacks PostgreSQL. It's fast on ingestion and retrieval, but one gotcha is that timestamps in PostgreSQL are 8 bytes. If you enable compression in Timescale it'll shave off storage at the expense of requiring decompression on deletion.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I also use timescale and like it. For many terabytes

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Yes I was planning to try Timescale on the bigger machine. I don't think pg will run well on my tiny node.

Honestly the Flux query language was a pile of poo poo and they were re-writing the core last time I worked with Influx which was like 2 years ago and it hasn't improved a bit.

I really like what I see of TimescaleDB, flexing their benchmarks. I tested AWS Timestream too. That's... uh... You know, it's okay, but the minimum billed query size is a 10MB scan.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

FYI I ended up trying out Kamatera. Everyone’s #1 complaint is that they are hard to use since they give you very bare servers you have to build entirely yourself, which is very much my poo poo since I prefer that. $100/mo free box for the first 30 days as a trial doesn’t hurt either. So far I’m incredibly impressed with the service.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Dear Hosting Megathread, I am wanting to set up something that looks/functions similar to Wikipedia. The project is currently in it's uhhh...not even fertilized yet stage, but hey one step at a time, right?

Would angry hosting be good to start out on, as I poke around and learn my chops on the wikimedia software?

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Dear Hosting Megathread, I am wanting to set up something that looks/functions similar to Wikipedia. The project is currently in it's uhhh...not even fertilized yet stage, but hey one step at a time, right?

Would angry hosting be good to start out on, as I poke around and learn my chops on the wikimedia software?

I'd honestly just to an internal selfhost for learning. It's free.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Johnny Aztec posted:

Heroku is good, easy to use and has a free tier. Googling "MediaWiki Heroku" turns up several results deploying mediawiki to heroku.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
im not exactly sure which thread is the best place to ask this but from searching vbulletin seems to pop up the most here

how do i change the "Post Reply" buttons graphic to something else in vbulletin 5 i cant seem to find it in the stylevars or anything and googling hasnt done me much good

for instance

if i wanted to take this (badly screenshotted)

and i wanted to change it to this

how would i go about doing that? and i guess this goes for every other button as well but i imagine once i learn how to change the post reply changing the edit/new thread/ect buttons would fall into place hopefully

quick edit: the reason this seems so weird is that the stylevars where you change everything else doesnt seem to have an option for switching the button graphic and even on my server i cant for the life of me find which folder the button graphic is, if it was as simple as switch out button.jpg for button.jpg(new) that would be easy and yet

starbarry clock fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 30, 2021

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I dont use any vbulletin 5 forums to check right now, but what do you get if you use your web browsers 'inspect' or equivalent feature.

e.g.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
that looks a lot more like a html button than an image

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Biowarfare posted:

that looks a lot more like a html button than an image

yeah apparently its a javascript button i tried posting on the vbulletin support forum about this but its nearing three weeks since the guy said he would post a fix for me and nothing yet lol(has solved like 15 other cases in that forum in the meantime though)

the only way i could imagine doing this is just disabling the button altogether and just inserting the image into the css at the spot the old button used to be that also has the ability to make post on internet forum but im not a coder really so its out of my league also im pretty sure this would look like crap on mobile or in resolutions that arent mine if i tried to brute force the image in lol

i guess i just have to wait a month or so for the support guy to do what he said he would do but hopefully somebody can help me here with even a temp fix like the idea i had but with instructions on how to do it or something

MeKeV posted:

I dont use any vbulletin 5 forums to check right now, but what do you get if you use your web browsers 'inspect' or equivalent feature.

e.g.

starbarry clock fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 8, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You can put your own CSS in, right? You could probably set the individual button element by ID to use a background-image and cancel out the other styles on it.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

MikeJF posted:

You can put your own CSS in, right? You could probably set the individual button element by ID to use a background-image and cancel out the other styles on it.

im not sure how to do that but that does sound like an excellent solution :coolslime:

i should clarify: i know how to access the css and edit it but i dont know how i would set the individual button element to use a background-image

starbarry clock fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 8, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hmm, the button in particular doesn't have an ID, you'd need to use a unique CSS selector.

The code would be something like

code:

.b-button.js-content-entry-submit {
  color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0);
  border:none;
  background-color: none;
  background-image: url("url-here");
  background-position: center;
  background-repeat: no-repeat;
  background-size: contain;
}
.b-button.js-content-entry-submit:active {
  border: none;
}
.b-button.js-content-entry-submit:focus {
}
But that selector probably wouldn't be unique enough, it might affect other buttons. Also, there may be some CSS elements that I haven't taken into account and also you'll need to have the image somewhere to reference with the background-image: url(""). Try to get the background-image to the same size as the element so it doesn't look fuzzy, but the CSS I've given it will scale the image up/down to fit inside the button's bounds.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

MikeJF posted:

Hmm, the button in particular doesn't have an ID, you'd need to use a unique CSS selector.

The code would be something like

code:

.b-button.js-content-entry-submit {
  border:none;
  background-image: url("url-here");
  background-position: center;
  background-repeat: no-repeat;
  background-size: contain;
}
.b-button.js-content-entry-submit:active {
}
.b-button.js-content-entry-submit:focus {
}
But that selector probably wouldn't be unique enough, it might affect other buttons. Also, there may be some CSS elements that I haven't taken into account and also you'll need to have the image somewhere to reference with the background-image: url(""). Try to get the background-image to the same size as the element so it doesn't look fuzzy, but the CSS I've given it will scale the image up/down to fit inside the button's bounds.

ill give this a shot and report back on how it goes thank you a lot for writing this up for me

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
oh my god it worked thanks mikejf youre a life saver

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Is there one of the squarespace/wix/shopify style hosting providers that someone here likes and which provide an API for managing products/inventory? I need a stupid-simple-to-manage site that will let products, quantities, pricing, pictures, etc. change or be added/removed several times per day by API. Shopify appears to fit the bill but I've not used them before, thought maybe the thread had a favorite.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

Is there one of the squarespace/wix/shopify style hosting providers that someone here likes and which provide an API for managing products/inventory? I need a stupid-simple-to-manage site that will let products, quantities, pricing, pictures, etc. change or be added/removed several times per day by API. Shopify appears to fit the bill but I've not used them before, thought maybe the thread had a favorite.
Be vary wary of hosts that are easy to set up but hard to leave. They tend to push upsells HARD.

I don't want to go as far as saying they hold your business hostage, but it sure feels like it.

Maybe see if woocomerce on top of WordPress fits your needs?

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 8, 2021

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

CopperHound posted:

Be vary wary of hosts that are easy to set up but hard to leave. They tend to push upsells HARD.

I don't want to go as far as saying they hold your business hostage, but it sure feels like it.

Maybe see if woocomerce on top of WordPress fits your needs?

Thats involves setting things up, and potential for things to get hosed up. I'm pretty competent with deploying web apps to Heroku or AWS Lambda. My hope is to make a backend I deploy to AWS lambda that does some arbitrage between two systems and let some non technical people edit the marketing site. If they charge me $40/mo to keep it on their platform IDGAF because it saves me from making a django CMS site that is overly complicated and takes 2 weeks of work.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

CarForumPoster posted:

Thats involves setting things up, and potential for things to get hosed up. I'm pretty competent with deploying web apps to Heroku or AWS Lambda. My hope is to make a backend I deploy to AWS lambda that does some arbitrage between two systems and let some non technical people edit the marketing site. If they charge me $40/mo to keep it on their platform IDGAF because it saves me from making a django CMS site that is overly complicated and takes 2 weeks of work.

CarForumPoster posted:

Why not just use Shopify, Wix or Squarespace, etc. for all of it? All of them have WYSIWYG editors and easily editable products that could be adjusted by marketing folks. Just go with one of the easy default themes and be done with it! I think webflow does ecommerce too: https://webflow.com/ecommerce

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

frogbs posted:

Why not just use Shopify, Wix or Squarespace, etc. for all of it? All of them have WYSIWYG editors and easily editable products that could be adjusted by marketing folks. Just go with one of the easy default themes and be done with it! I think webflow does ecommerce too: https://webflow.com/ecommerce

Thats the plan, except the CRUD of the products needs to be automated. E.g. I need to edit 12000 products per day and for that to take 1 man hour or less per day. Hence, API.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved
Shopify has that?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Anyone know of any reliable FreeBSD VPS providers that offers decent amount of spinny disk (slow is fine) for a ~2tbs of data?

I've got a physical server I'm looking to migrate somewhere cloudy cloud cloud. It's currently FreeBSD, I suppose I could probably do Linux too, it's basically a LAMP web server with a few domains that get very little traffic, but I need ipv4/ipv6 static and a real ssh shell.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

AWS has very good freebsd support thanks to Colin Percival

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Yeah I think unless you go with AWS ($$$) you are unlikely to find a VPS with 2TB of storage. When I was shopping around all the VPS I found were tiny storage amounts, you probably need to go with a dedicated server. I ended up doing a colocation with dedicated.com for my little 1U server to meet my requirements of cheap + a bunch of storage. They have some dedicated server options that may suit your needs. OVHcloud was the other one I was considering.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I can't vouch for current quality but buyvm.net is probably the cheapest you can find. You can get a VM starting at $2 a month and then attach a 2TB "slab" for $10 a month.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Next cheapest, depending on your requirements, are either Kimsufi/SoYouStart,, OVH supports free bad on both platforms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
My hosting company sprung an IP address change on me with 2 weeks notice.

I host about 80 WordPress sites and the domains are spread across a million different registrars, mostly controlled directly by bumbling clients. Thankfully the nameservers aren't changing, but I reckon over half of them are just using A Records pointing straight to the IP address, so I've got a massive project ahead of me to get them all updated.

I could just update them all to the new IP the hosting company have provided, but I was wondering if I could get an IP address of my very own that would protect me against this stuff in the future.

Like an IP address that'll just stay the same forever that I can tell clients to use for their A record, and then I can point it at whatever final destination IP I want. That must be a thing right? I know AWS has an "elastic IP" thing.

Any tips on where / how to set something like that up? I'm worried it might affect performance though...