Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Chamale posted:

I'm driving to the Blackfoot Confederacy on the US border next week to get my second vaccine dose, since Canada hosed up getting vaccines so bad. Anyone reading the thread from southern Alberta should look into it. June 8th and 9th.

i'm getting the secret vaccine that nobody's heard of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Yeah, the hostility towards Quebec is really weird. It smacks of liberals looking for a people it's socially acceptable to poo poo on.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

in my experience people from quebec tend to be smug assholes, but people from anywhere tend to be smug assholes so

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Its that time posted:

In the 60s, the Royal Commission on Bilingualism and Biculturalism concluded the normal Quebecker (more or less 30% of the total pop at that time) ranked third to last (in front of Italians and Natives) on an average revenue list. Definetly historically priviledged. We're not even talking about access to education, healthcare or hell, even finance (banks being off limit to french speakers). The commission judged the situation alarming... and we're talking 1960s here, it's not prehistoric. Being a French speaker in Canada still means being underpaid, still carrying on that historic gap through the ages and slowly catching on.

Reminder that this conversation started because a prominent academic suggested placing Francophones together with First Nations Canadians as part of "number of people oppressed by imperialism", thus erasing the reason BIPOC is a term which is because it's about a relationship to whiteness, not imperialism or the erasure of culture. That article was posted in response to exhuming hundreds of dead Secwepemc kids, e: who also died pretty recently, I might add. Your points can be both valid and correct and it still doesn't erase the fact that the original article was making a rather offensive assertion.

Also:

quote:

Keep in mind Quebec never chose to be part of Canada, it was imposed by force of arms. How should you treat a nation that got forced to include a country is up to you, but I read lots of ''we know what's best for you, let us choose for you'' positions. Just like in the previous adventures like: conscription, prohibition, etc.

Gee... I wonder who else didn't plan on being part of Canada... 🤔

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
that seven year long holy war over whether or not to let the Habsburgs rule Europe continues to have some rather baffling consequences to this day

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

that seven year long holy war over whether or not to let the Habsburgs rule Europe continues to have some rather baffling consequences to this day

i don't believe that actually happened until ubisoft montreal makes it into a video game and I can kill the leaders as a sexy assassin

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Arivia posted:

i don't believe that actually happened until ubisoft montreal makes it into a video game and I can kill the leaders as a sexy assassin

if anyone could make the seven years war horny, it’d be ubisoft

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

if anyone could make the seven years war horny, it’d be ubisoft

assassin's creed: seven year itch

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Entropic posted:

I wonder how many people think BIPOC means bisexual people of colour.

i did for awhile but that was entirely a timing thing - i first encountered the acronym without any good context clues moments after i discovered bisexuality is real and my brain just jammed the two together

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Ubisoft never makes political games

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

PhilippAchtel posted:

liberals looking for a people it's socially acceptable to poo poo on.

This is Internet Leftists in a nutshell.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I don't think anyone here is denying the history of Quebec. I'm just saying the idea that white francophones today have more in common with BIPOC than they do with white anglophones is absurd, it smacks of revisionist history meant to obfuscate the realities faced by racialized individuals, especially indigenous folks.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I spent decades in NB, been to Quebec tons, I also have a bunch of francophone and indigenous friends. It is extremely obvious to me that those two groups face radically different challenges. I've never heard my francophone friends tell me about poo poo the rcmp did to them or their family. I've definitely seen anti-francophone sentiment, the anglo-soceity in NB was one such example, but again, my indigenous friends have had people throw bottles at them from cars while shouting slurs at them. It just doesn't seem to compare.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
Let's go back to getting mad about home ownership that seemed like it was less awful than stressing about marginalization of bisexual francophones

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
Canada needs more affordable, high quality...

British cheese

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYzTxpd20sg

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm actually reading new and interesting information in this discussion, unlike the struggle session on houses. I think it's fair to say that Francophones still face systemic barriers in Canada, but it's nowhere near as extensive as the ones faced by racialized people. I'm French-Canadian but had to go to school in English because Calgary's only French-language school is an awful Catholic school. I now speak English at home and have lost a lot of fluency in French.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Chamale posted:

the struggle session on houses.

Ah comrade, I see you own a house, a shame.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
congrat to antiracist campaigners the montreal canadiens for striking a blow against anglo canada today

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1399538583736889346

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011
Not sure how lovely this is to say but the francophones were also colonizers. The French and the English were playing the same messed up game and the French lost. That doesn't justify the discrimination and oppression of Francophones but I think it makes it very different than the relationship between colonizers and Indigenous peoples. And that's before getting to stealing children etc.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Really don't like the term BIPOC. I get the point of it, but that kind of weird academic jargon just alienates people

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

Goosed it. posted:

Not sure how lovely this is to say but the francophones were also colonizers. The French and the English were playing the same messed up game and the French lost. That doesn't justify the discrimination and oppression of Francophones but I think it makes it very different than the relationship between colonizers and Indigenous peoples. And that's before getting to stealing children etc.

Yeah. The French and English were both stealing land, and the English ended up winning that war then gave the French some scraps. Using a historical basis to describe Francos as an oppressed class will 100% only lead to chauvinism. There is no class division between anglos and francos, the only difference is that francos didn't get a bigger piece of the pie. The working class in Trois-Rivières, Saint John, and Winnipeg, are under the thumb of the bourgeoisie from Toronto and Montreal. The Indigenous in Quebec, Labrador, Alberta, and the Territories all experience the same crushing subjugation from white francos and anglos. The international proletariat are exploited by all white north americans just the same.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Kindest Forums User posted:

Yeah. The French and English were both stealing land, and the English ended up winning that war then gave the French some scraps. Using a historical basis to describe Francos as an oppressed class will 100% only lead to chauvinism. There is no class division between anglos and francos, the only difference is that francos didn't get a bigger piece of the pie. The working class in Trois-Rivières, Saint John, and Winnipeg, are under the thumb of the bourgeoisie from Toronto and Montreal. The Indigenous in Quebec, Labrador, Alberta, and the Territories all experience the same crushing subjugation from white francos and anglos. The international proletariat are exploited by all white north americans just the same.

I also miss LF

But also ditto

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Virtual Russian posted:

I also miss LF

But also ditto

LF: we need full communism now or everything's going to fall apart!

CSPAM: We didn't get full communism and everything fell the gently caress apart lmao

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
yes but if I recall LF correctly that's not our fault. the third world was supposed to rise up and put the white settlers into relocation camps

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

A Russian troll farm posted:

Really don't like the term BIPOC. I get the point of it, but that kind of weird academic jargon just alienates people

This is intentional

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Goosed it. posted:

No, you have a point here. In Canadian history the French have gotten away with a reputation as being kinder, gentler colonialists but that isn't actually true. What they were was weaker colonialists, so they were forced by nature of having less power to be a little more cooperative and a little less antagonistic to Indigenous people in New France. In places and times where they had the same superior power as the English had, the French were just as murderous and oppressive to Indigenous people as the English were.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

vyelkin posted:

No, you have a point here. In Canadian history the French have gotten away with a reputation as being kinder, gentler colonialists but that isn't actually true. What they were was weaker colonialists, so they were forced by nature of having less power to be a little more cooperative and a little less antagonistic

History_of_pretty_much_everyone.txt

As the current 'victors' of our man eat man global society white Europeans especially Anglos have a moral imperative to be the ones to make the most effort towards braking this cycle of violence and oppression against one another but let's be honest here I don't think there's a group of people on this planet who aren't guilty of being complete shitbags whenever they were strong enough to get away with it.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I get so much crap for being an anarchist and then people say things like "states are defined by violence" and "all power corrupts"

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mr. Dressup

Testicular Torque Wrench
Apr 14, 2016

yeet

Femtosecond posted:

The recent imposition of state sanctioned employment discrimination against certain groups seems like something

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Oh you know, just that little niqab ban comes to mind right away

the state is areligious. therefore, no person who works for the state can show any type of religious affiliation or partisanship.
it is not a niqab ban (and calling it thus is facetious and sensationalist), it is a wholesale religious ban for the enforcement of state neutrality and the separation of church and state.

moreover, since 74% of quebecois identify as catholic, you could argue that this law "opresses" them more by simple virtue of quantity

i recommend les insolences du frere untel for a humorous decrying of what a religious state-led system looked like

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Testicular Torque Wrench posted:

the state is areligious. therefore, no person who works for the state can show any type of religious affiliation or partisanship.
it is not a niqab ban (and calling it thus is facetious and sensationalist), it is a wholesale religious ban for the enforcement of state neutrality and the separation of church and state.

moreover, since 74% of quebecois identify as catholic, you could argue that this law "opresses" them more by simple virtue of quantity

i recommend les insolences du frere untel for a humorous decrying of what a religious state-led system looked like

Sure, but only some religious icons are excluded from the ban. Wonder which those are?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

xtal posted:

I get so much crap for being an anarchist and then people say things like "states are defined by violence" and "all power corrupts"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Testicular Torque Wrench posted:

it's not a rule against Jews, anyone wearing a yarmulke would be subject to it

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
For one, I doubt anyone wearing a cross is getting in trouble. For two, there's a bit of a difference between wearing a cross and a niqab to begin with...

Testicular Torque Wrench
Apr 14, 2016

yeet

xtal posted:

For one, I doubt anyone wearing a cross is getting in trouble. For two, there's a bit of a difference between wearing a cross and a niqab to begin with...

jewels (aka necklaces) are also interdicted.

flakeloaf posted:

it's not a rule against Jews, anyone wearing a yarmulke would be subject to it

you are wrong. it is also a rule against jews. it is a rule against:

the fuken law in question posted:

Au sens du présent article, est un signe religieux tout objet, notamment un vêtement, un symbole, un bijou, une parure, un accessoire ou un couvre-chef,

endless tergiversating about enforcement is incredible bad faith. you are arguing from a position that Quebec won't enforce their own law because they are somehow naturally biased. i would call this prejudice.

Testicular Torque Wrench has issued a correction as of 16:22 on Jun 1, 2021

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

god told me in the bible to hide my shame, so i gotta wear pants. unless i'm a government employee, in which case i'm forbidden from wearing my pants (for religious reasons)

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

xtal posted:

Do anarchists always give such sound excuses for racist legislation?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

you missed my sarcasm

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
the quebec racist bill defender has logged on :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testicular Torque Wrench
Apr 14, 2016

yeet

DariusLikewise posted:

the quebec racist bill defender has logged on :cool:

you would also call it racist if the state was majority catholic and forced people to receive service from people in positions of authority demonstrating "white supremacist affects" such as crucifixes.