Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Testicular Torque Wrench posted:

you would also call it racist if the state was majority catholic and forced people to receive service from people in positions of authority demonstrating "white supremacist affects" such as crucifixes.

pictured: a "white supremacist"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

Do anarchists always give such sound excuses for racist legislation?

I'm not sure how you interpreted that as a defense, I'm pointing out that it is racist even if it's 'fair' on paper because it doesn't exist in a vacuum. The intention is to target specific groups of people but with enough plausible deniability.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

xtal posted:

I get so much crap for being an anarchist

Owned

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

the state is areligious. therefore, no person who works for the state can show any type of religious affiliation or partisanship.
it is not a niqab ban (and calling it thus is facetious and sensationalist), it is a wholesale religious ban for the enforcement of state neutrality and the separation of church and state.

moreover, since 74% of quebecois identify as catholic, you could argue that this law "opresses" them more by simple virtue of quantity

i recommend les insolences du frere untel for a humorous decrying of what a religious state-led system looked like

its an obvious anti muslim thing and all the dipshits trying to invoke the quiet revolution and old quebec are full of poo poo

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

mila kunis posted:

its an obvious anti muslim thing and all the dipshits trying to invoke the quiet revolution and old quebec are full of poo poo

hey now, in fairness it's also obviously anti-sikh and anti-jew

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

the state is areligious. therefore, no person who works for the state can show any type of religious affiliation or partisanship.
it is not a niqab ban (and calling it thus is facetious and sensationalist), it is a wholesale religious ban for the enforcement of state neutrality and the separation of church and state.

moreover, since 74% of quebecois identify as catholic, you could argue that this law "opresses" them more by simple virtue of quantity

i recommend les insolences du frere untel for a humorous decrying of what a religious state-led system looked like

And just like every law that exists, it's passed with general sweeping rules that technically apply to everyone, but is suddenly only enforced against the targeted demographic.

You're either incredibly naïve, or are a supporter of the niqab ban if you think that this law is fair because on paper "it targets everyone".

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Okay guys we're gonna pass a fair and even law that has no discriminatory wording in it. It's gonna be illegal to wear blue.

What's that? The people of the majority religion rarely wear blue, and when they do cops turn a blind eye? And the minority religions have it explicitly stated in text that they must wear blue to show their love to God, and cops love abusing their power against these people?

That's just a weird coincidence, there was nothing discriminatory about the law. You're just trying to make us look bad.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

allowed: monochrome pakistan earring, star of david signet ring
not allowed: eight-pound crucifix, any obligatory religious head covering, and uh let's just put an asterisk next to the niqab during covid times

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

gently caress the government telling people what they can and cannot wear

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
The fact that the notwithstanding clause had to be invoked in the bill (which, in short, is a constitutional right of lawmakers to exempt a law from legal challenges based on the charter of rights and freedoms) pretty much tells you that the legislature is wholly aware that the law is discriminatory.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Chamale posted:

I'm actually reading new and interesting information in this discussion, unlike the struggle session on houses. I think it's fair to say that Francophones still face systemic barriers in Canada, but it's nowhere near as extensive as the ones faced by racialized people. I'm French-Canadian but had to go to school in English because Calgary's only French-language school is an awful Catholic school. I now speak English at home and have lost a lot of fluency in French.

I'm not going to make you doxx yourself, but are you making a distinction between immersion and an all-French school? I went to a French immersion in Calgary for elementary and both Vanier and Aberhart did immersion programs, as well. But also: same. I can understand a lot of French spoken to me, but I can barely read it and gently caress me if I have to speak it.

Also:

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Okay guys we're gonna pass a fair and even law that has no discriminatory wording in it. It's gonna be illegal to wear blue.

What's that? The people of the majority religion rarely wear blue, and when they do cops turn a blind eye? And the minority religions have it explicitly stated in text that they must wear blue to show their love to God, and cops love abusing their power against these people?

That's just a weird coincidence, there was nothing discriminatory about the law. You're just trying to make us look bad.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

xtal posted:

I get so much crap for being an anarchist and then people say things like "states are defined by violence" and "all power corrupts"

Post your podcast(s)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
You can wear a cross under your shirt. You can't wear a hijab under your shirt. One of these groups of people will be forbidden from working in the public sector and the other won't.

Besides, what does it say about religious neutrality if "neutrality" is interpreted as "some religions aren't allowed, full stop"? Do you think a Sikh person who appears in court as a plaintiff or defendant while wearing a turban as required by their religion is going to feel that the state is more or less neutral towards them when judged by a white judge wearing no overt religious symbols, compared to if they were judged by a Sikh judge wearing a turban?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

please shut the gently caress up mon frère

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Fried Watermelon posted:

gently caress the government telling people what they can and cannot wear

Srsly. Who gives a poo poo. Just show up in business casual and get on with your day.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
we enforce the separation of church and state by ensuring that neither catholics nor muslims are allowed to wear the hijab

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

vyelkin posted:

we enforce the separation of church and state by ensuring that neither catholics nor muslims are allowed to wear the hijab

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the same week 250 little child skeletons were found in a mass grave in BC is an especially great time to prattle on about how the Quebecois are unsung victims of racial prejudice in this country

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Juul-Whip posted:

the same week 250 little child skeletons were found in a mass grave in BC is an especially great time to prattle on about how the Quebecois are unsung victims of racial prejudice in this country

in true cspam fashion we had people suggesting there's similar graves of francophone kids, that makes it even!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

vyelkin posted:

the law doesn't discriminate, it just happens to disproportionately affect people who aren't christian.

i'm sure there some kind of term for this...

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/goldsbie/status/1399784547798106122?s=20

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
TIL communism killed Chris Farley :eek:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
john tory, noted communist

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Srsly. Who gives a poo poo. Just show up in business casual and get on with your day.

The point is that only those that feel they can do this are able to. It prevents access to government services and jobs for certain religious and cultural groups. One could say it was designed specifically to do this.

It is made most obvious by the fact that Catholics can still wear a small visible cross, something that requires no change in attire for most, while essential religious of others is strictly forbidden. There is nothing a catholic would need to wear that would prevent them from accessing government services or jobs.

People here are doing the Irish Slavery thing for colonizers.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
That's what I mean. Regulating what people wear beyond indecent exposure, hate speech or public safety is an incredible waste of time.

mom and dad fight a lot has issued a correction as of 21:05 on Jun 1, 2021

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

you would also call it racist if the state was majority catholic and forced people to receive service from people in positions of authority demonstrating "white supremacist affects" such as crucifixes.

insane to me you would kramer into the thread blasting how poc and francophones share a similar struggle then somehow defend the law which obviously targets poc that wear head coverings with no irony

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

French Canada's historic anger at the non-Francophone bourgeoisie was deftly redirected towards all non-Francophone immigrants, and then towards all racialized people.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

That's what I mean. Regulating what people wear beyond indecent exposure, hate speech or public safety is an incredible waste of time.

Ah I see, misunderstood.

Virtual Russian has issued a correction as of 21:23 on Jun 1, 2021

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

It was announced today that Edmonton's football team was renamned to the "Edmonton Elks". People are so mad.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Why would people be mad, now you have an excuse to wear big rear end antler crowns to games.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Coxswain Balls posted:

Why would people be mad, now you have an excuse to wear big rear end antler crowns to games.

how dare you tell me not to casually use a slur. all change is bad, especially if its change in support of non-white people!

(but yeah antlers are gonna be cool)

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

It was announced today that Edmonton's football team was renamned to the "Edmonton Elks". People are so mad.

Hot on the heels of the Ethan Bear racism.... not a good look Edmonton.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Ah, because of the incorrect grammar

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Like when I look at every single other team in the CFL nothing even comes close to being able to have a big fuckin' rack of antlers. A bomber jacket? Tiger face paint? I got seventy pounds of bone on my head bitch and you better believe I'm inconveniencing everyone near me at the stadium on game day.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Ah, because of the incorrect grammar

the Maple Leafs don't give a poo poo

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Also Elk are delicious. My uncle had a herd of a few hundred head and I used to get all the free elk meat I wanted. It's super lean and just the lightest hint of game.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Eskimo is a slur?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Terror Sweat posted:

Eskimo is a slur?

Inuit is the preferred nomenclature dude

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:cripes:

"Inuit" is the preferred term for the last several decades, think Washington Redskins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Another Bill posted:

Also Elk are delicious. My uncle had a herd of a few hundred head and I used to get all the free elk meat I wanted. It's super lean and just the lightest hint of game.

Team name checks out.