Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I still have a old loveline mp3s but they don't zing the same now that I'm a grown human with life experience. The only reason Adam could patronize the callers were because they were literal teens. And, if you think about it, that Cancel[-]proof image is basically for the same audience of teenbrains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Did "Superfan" Giovanni kill himself yet? If not why not

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

He's pulling down at least $400 a month on patreon and has recent posts there and on his stupid rear end website. Idk who the hell is paying him because he appears to have been run off of reddit a couple years ago unless the single google search I did was misleading

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
He's called superfan because everyone wants to see him get thrown into the spinning blades of a superpowered fan

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
He's called Superfan because he's a basically a Goon but nobody over there knows what a Goon is.

Spreadsheets and such.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Lmao wait I knew he uses fanart of him as galacticus as his avatar or w/e but I thought it was just some generic god character, I didn't know psychotic it actually was until right now

Wikipedia posted:

Formerly a mortal man, Galactus is a cosmic entity who originally consumed planets to sustain his life force, and serves a functional role in the upkeep of the primary Marvel continuity.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lampsacus posted:

I still have a old loveline mp3s but they don't zing the same now that I'm a grown human with life experience. The only reason Adam could patronize the callers were because they were literal teens. And, if you think about it, that Cancel[-]proof image is basically for the same audience of teenbrains.

I started going through the archives while grinding in MMOs, and the really early stuff is how much he hates Republican assholes. Deeply lol

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I started going through the archives while grinding in MMOs, and the really early stuff is how much he hates Republican assholes. Deeply lol

He also used to rail against blowhards

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I think one of my first indicators was a polite young woman calling in to try and explain why rich people paying greater taxes than people who are poor or middle class is fine, and Adam didn't just disagree, he brutally shouted her down. I believe it was a year or two after he got The Man Show.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 29, 2021

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

That call made such a negative impression on me that I remember exactly where I was the first time I heard it

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think one of my first indicators was a polite young woman calling in to try and explain why rich people paying greater taxes than people who are poor or middle class is fine, and Adam didn't just disagree, he brutally shouted her down. I believe it was a year or two after he got The Man Show.

Yeah he's been big on "the rich already pay far more than the poor, just using the same percentage".

bartok
May 10, 2006

I know Adam had that movie I never saw Road Hard where he played a stand-up but is Adam a real comedian? I always considered him more of a comedic personality than a comedian. Like I know being a comedian isn't just stand-up and he has some improv training but just never thought of him as one. Even when I was a fan I couldn't imagine going to the Cincinnati Chuckle Hut and seeing him perform if it wasn't just a live version of his podcast. It's all pedantic and doesn't change the fact that he's a huge piece of poo poo who is friends with Dennis "Spousal Rape" Prager.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

bartok posted:

I know Adam had that movie I never saw Road Hard where he played a stand-up but is Adam a real comedian? I always considered him more of a comedic personality than a comedian. Like I know being a comedian isn't just stand-up and he has some improv training but just never thought of him as one. Even when I was a fan I couldn't imagine going to the Cincinnati Chuckle Hut and seeing him perform if it wasn't just a live version of his podcast. It's all pedantic and doesn't change the fact that he's a huge piece of poo poo who is friends with Dennis "Spousal Rape" Prager.

I mean, he's not a stand up comedian, but yeah, his roots are comedy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

He was pretty good at improv at one point. The old Huell Howser bits with Dana Gould were always incredible.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Even when he went and did a bunch of, “stand up” shows, he would just rehash bits from the radio show/podcast while using a projector screen with images to use as jumping off points. I saw him twice live like that 10 some years ago and it was the exact same show a year apart or so

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tweak posted:

Even when he went and did a bunch of, “stand up” shows, he would just rehash bits from the radio show/podcast while using a projector screen with images to use as jumping off points. I saw him twice live like that 10 some years ago and it was the exact same show a year apart or so

That sounds like a comedy warehouse, not a comedy factory. :thunk:

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
To be fair, factories tend to make a lot of the same thing. Again, and again, and again.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Tweak posted:

I saw one of those shows probably 10+ years ago. I remember it was fun but the main thing I can recall was an amusing recap of his reported income year by year. Many years it was zero, then it jumped when the earthquake happened, then plummeted again.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I saw one of those shows probably 10+ years ago. I remember it was fun but the main thing I can recall was an amusing recap of his reported income year by year. Many years it was zero, then it jumped when the earthquake happened, then plummeted again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0KM9liK-EY

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
publicly bragging about all the under-the-table work you've done is a bold strategy

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

bartok posted:

He is most definitely not a stand up in the sense of what we think of when we hear the phrase "stand up comedian". His shows consist of a slide show and goofy poo poo like that. He knows he's not a stand up and that he doesn't write new material. Before the pandemic he was actually going to, I believe the laugh factory and running material which seemed to be new by what I remember. He just doesn't have it in him though IMO.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Alison Rosen was on Blocked Party if anyone is interested in a very funny very Canadian podcast about social media. The topic of Adam Carolla only comes up very briefly in passing if you're looking for dirt you aren't going to find any. She was a good fit as a guest and it was fun episode. Nice to hear Alison's voice because I don't listen to her podcasts and her leaving was one of the big reasons I quit listening to Adam Carolla.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

bartok posted:

Alison Rosen was on Blocked Party if anyone is interested in a very funny very Canadian podcast about social media. The topic of Adam Carolla only comes up very briefly in passing if you're looking for dirt you aren't going to find any. She was a good fit as a guest and it was fun episode. Nice to hear Alison's voice because I don't listen to her podcasts and her leaving was one of the big reasons I quit listening to Adam Carolla.

If you haven't listened to her podcast where she told the story, it's a really good listen. Hard to listen to, but a good one. I had stopped listening to AC for a while, but still had it subscribed, unsubscribed that day.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

She's a sweetheart, I dunno/remember the whole story other than Adam just emailed her that she's fired out of the blue one christmas holiday

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
- Is Adam's dad still alive?
- Does Dameshek still do the sports segment in the middle of every show?
- Does Adam still have Jo Koy on, and when he does, does he still do the same poo poo?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Blocked Party is a good podcast and seems like a great fit for her as a guest.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

bartok posted:

She's a semi-frequent guest on Never Not Funny and she's absolutely wonderful anytime she makes an appearance there

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Listened to NNF today (the guest was the delightful Blaine Capatch) and they were talking about cars and started riffing on Adam's unfortunate transformation.

Blaine mentioned previously owning a Carolla and Jimmy asked if it started out as as fun car that gradually got more right wing and mean.

It's wild to me that a good deal of the comedy community thinks nothing of just blasting him, although he certainly deserves it

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I haven't listened in a long time but is Drew anti-vax yet? Guessing Adam is.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I just subscribe to this thread cause I want hot goss about the Ace Man without having to listen to the show myself.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Niwrad posted:

I haven't listened in a long time but is Drew anti-vax yet? Guessing Adam is.

Drew got pulled from Youtube for being very into Ivermectin. Hell of a doctor that one.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Are you a real doctor or a horse doctor?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I guess the evidence of him being a quack has always been there but it's kind of insane that he was giving advice to vulnerable teenagers for decades.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Omnicarus posted:

Drew got pulled from Youtube for being very into Ivermectin. Hell of a doctor that one.

one of my twitter follows was liveblogging some early 2000s episodes, and came across an episode where Drew was telling a minor to email a picture of their genitals so he could tell them if he thought it was an std. of course he mentioned that he'd "delete it afterwards" so don't worry!

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Niwrad posted:

I guess the evidence of him being a quack has always been there but it's kind of insane that he was giving advice to vulnerable teenagers for decades.
I am way out of the loop with Carolla land, but as somebody who had to reassess Dr. Drew ~10 years back (I previously thought he was a "just" a fame whore but a good doctor) when it came out he was shilling for Glaxo with his persistent Wellbutrin recs:
He is totally spineless and his temperament is very "scared conservative". Worried about his money, safety, degeneracy, etc. Scared of "the mob" and elitist, way more comfortable with authoritarianism than democracy. So he was destined to get sucked into the conservative culture war (especially when the fans and money comes from that audience) and the dumber that got the dumber he got.

edit: Other than that "flu is worse than covid" supercut video, last I heard from him was his optimism that Trump was going to address the opiate epidemic thanks to having a meeting with him for probably 30 seconds. LOL okay right dude.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 20, 2021

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Just further proof Dr Spaz was the real doctor all along

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I feel like bruce revealed himself to be stupid/horrible as well but :effort:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Dr. Drew thinks MDMA literally puts holes in your brain

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

pangstrom posted:

I am way out of the loop with Carolla land, but as somebody who had to reassess Dr. Drew ~10 years back (I previously thought he was a "just" a fame whore but a good doctor) when it came out he was shilling for Glaxo with his persistent Wellbutrin recs:
He is totally spineless and his temperament is very "scared conservative". Worried about his money, safety, degeneracy, etc. Scared of "the mob" and elitist, way more comfortable with authoritarianism than democracy. So he was destined to get sucked into the conservative culture war (especially when the fans and money comes from that audience) and the dumber that got the dumber he got.

This is by far the best assessment I've ever heard of Drew. He is so easily frightened into almost anything. Listening to him back when he was first getting introduced to Adam.. he was so different. Loveline was cutting across a social barrier about communication about healthy relationships and sex. It really is an awesome snapshot in time that doesn't really exist anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

ninjoatse.cx posted:

This is by far the best assessment I've ever heard of Drew. He is so easily frightened into almost anything. Listening to him back when he was first getting introduced to Adam.. he was so different. Loveline was cutting across a social barrier about communication about healthy relationships and sex. It really is an awesome snapshot in time that doesn't really exist anymore.

I liked when they made a Dr. DrewBot with his stock responses then used it on a few callers and it worked pretty well at keeping the calls going for a while. They tried making an AdamBot but his rants were too specific so it was just confusing.