Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Johnny Aztec posted:

But good news! There IS another bridge!

An hour and a half south of Memphis at Helena, AR.

I’ll just go up north to the next crossing in that direction.

Should only take

checks notes

an hour and fifty minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I specifically choose appliances that have an actual power switch. You'd think it would be hard but it's only hard if you're a fucken yuppie or a fucken nerd.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
:allears:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Happiness Commando posted:

Sorry friend, you're victim blaming yourself. Indicator LEDs draw miliwatts. Sleeping electronics draw watts. If you're saving power to save money, you'll save maybe a quarter a month in a whole house. If you're saving power to save the environment, most emissions are caused by a hundred companies, not individuals.

Piss right the gently caress off with the "I shouldn't make any effort, because there are much worse offenders out there". There are a lot more different things that plug into wall sockets than just electronics, and even with those, older electronics can have surprisingly power-hungry standby modes. That directly affects your electricity bill.

While I primarily turn off my electronics because I don't want LEDs lighting up the bedroom at night (small apartment+WFH), the small power saving doesn't hurt.

A switch is just the more sensible way to turn something off, especially if you want to turn off a whole extension cord at once. The alternative of making/breaking the connection by connecting and disconnecting the plug, means the plug then has to lay on the floor or dangle somewhere. Not all devices have physical power switches or easily accessible ones.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jun 1, 2021

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I just flip the breakers at night to everything except my kitchen and HVAC.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Saving the world by only installing ring mains.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Extant Artiodactyl posted:

2) fuses on cords smaller than 12 gauge (so...most of them)

My immediate, dumb, American (but I repeat myself) thought was "A 12-gauge shell for a fuse? That's one hell of an audio alert when it blows."

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Dareon posted:

My immediate, dumb, American (but I repeat myself) thought was "A 12-gauge shell for a fuse? That's one hell of an audio alert when it blows."

Thats not a 12 gauge.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Of course outlet switches are gonna draw a bunch of vitreol from people in the crappy construction thread.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

gunna wire my house with every single plug having a switch.
and all the switches are going to be in the garage

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

MattO posted:

gunna wire my house with every single plug having a switch.
and all the switches are going to be in the garage

Every outlet has to have a switch, but they're all knife switches.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I will stop wanting switched outlets when appliance manufacturers stop using blue LEDs for standby lights

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Electrical tape works too.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

KozmoNaut posted:

Piss right the gently caress off with the "I shouldn't make any effort, because there are much worse offenders out there". There are a lot more different things that plug into wall sockets than just electronics, and even with those, older electronics can have surprisingly power-hungry standby modes. That directly affects your electricity bill.

While I primarily turn off my electronics because I don't want LEDs lighting up the bedroom at night (small apartment+WFH), the small power saving doesn't hurt.

A switch is just the more sensible way to turn something off, especially if you want to turn off a whole extension cord at once. The alternative of making/breaking the connection by connecting and disconnecting the plug, means the plug then has to lay on the floor or dangle somewhere. Not all devices have physical power switches or easily accessible ones.

There are situations where it is more physically convenient to flip a switch than unpluging a cord, especially for people with certain physical disabilities. Also if unplugging the cord would require moving a heavy piece of furniture, but there's enough space for a switch.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Outlets are usually way too low on the wall to be a good place to have a switch.

If they’re over a counter or desk or whatever, now that’s better, but I still don’t have a burning desire for switches there.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

All of the outlets in my condo are at normal light switch height. The only exception is the extra outlet I added next to the cable and interweb plugs, for the router because some dumbass previous owner didn't think a power outlet would be needed there :downs:

It's an older building and not in the US, but still.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 1, 2021

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

All of the outlets in my condo are at normal light switch height. The only exception is the extra outlet I added next to the cable and interweb plugs, for the router because some dumbass previous owner didn't think a power outlet would be needed there :downs:

It's an older building and not in the US, but still.

What’s normal height for you? In US light switches are typically 4 feet off the floor which seems kinda tall for outlets.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Around 130cm.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Moatman posted:

This is because those are the oil companies who provide the fuel that gets burned. It's good to take them to task for their poo poo, but it's wrong to assign full blame when we're the ones drawing the electricity from the plants and driving the cars that do the burning.

Naw, this is just classic capitalist redirection.

"You can't blame me for selling literal barrels of toxic waste with 'POUR IN OCEAN' on the side! Blame the people who buy it!"

When the solution is just to simply not provide the things that are harmful, because a lot of people either lack the information or the situation to make a different choice. You can't just tell people to "stop driving cars" when they need them to get to work to pay the rent. But what you can do is tax the companies producing the cars and the fuel for the cars to fund development into changes so they no longer need to, with a long-term view towards shutting down the entire thing, or forcing them to make changes to minimize the damage done.

It's always the companies at fault, they just want you to believe they aren't.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Furthermore, the oil companies release a lot of carbon as part of their processing. It is routine in the oil industry to "flare off" (burn) natural gas that shows up in oil wells because it's just not worth it to set up the infrastructure to resell. Oil and gas refineries also flare.

Oil and gas companies want you to believe it's all about the consumers' use of hydrocarbons, but it really, really isn't.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Switched outlets are strictly a matter of convenience. That's why they are superior to the American system.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jaguars! posted:

Switched outlets are strictly a matter of convenience. That's why they are superior to the American system.

There is no situation where they are convenient. They're literally always further away from you than the switch on the appliance itself.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Jaguars! posted:

Americans have a sense of style that precludes ugly, oversized, square outlets on our walls.

I'm actually serious: the new rage is decora-style outlets with screwless plates. It gives a nice, clean look, especially with rocker switches.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jaguars! posted:

The american system where if we want a switched outlet we put the switch in it's own box in an easy to reach location?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

B-Nasty posted:

Americans have a sense of style that precludes ugly, oversized, square outlets on our walls.

I'm actually serious: the new rage is decora-style outlets with screwless plates. It gives a nice, clean look, especially with rocker switches.

Why so shocked and huge?

(Note that these are new-fangled switch-less sockets, introduced only to appease the terminally lazy.)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Those deep round prong outlets can burn in hell.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Motronic posted:

The american system where if we want a switched outlet we put the switch in it's own box in an easy to reach location?

Nobody's stopping you from doing both

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

peanut posted:

Those deep round prong outlets can burn in hell.

But they look so happy!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GotLag posted:

Nobody's stopping you from doing both

Why would you? Outlets are installed in places that are good for minimizing their visual impact and making them convenient for where devices are plugged in. This is very often a completely different place than what it easy to access/touch on a regular basis.

I get this is something that you are accustomed to, but it's hardly useful unless again, you are decided how to wire homes during WW2 to save as much copper as possible with the after effect of having to run a lot of fault current to every outlet/device.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It's America. We have the convenience of switched outlets wherever we want them, and the protection of fused/(breakered) individual circuit runs.

Checkmate, ring-mainers

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I wired my outlets to my balls

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

PainterofCrap posted:

It's America. We have the convenience of switched outlets wherever we want them, and the protection of fused/(breakered) individual circuit runs.

Checkmate, ring-mainers

:actually:

In :911:, it takes four minutes to boil a kettle for tea, but in :britain:, it only takes two.

Double-checkmate on you!

Blue Moonlight fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 2, 2021

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It was a real eye-opener going to Japan and finding out how anemic blenders and kettles are at 100 volts

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Blue Moonlight posted:

:actually:

In :911:, it takes four minutes to boil a kettle for tea, but in :britain:, it only takes two.

Double-checkmate on you!

In a Zojirushi-possessing house for a minimal energy expenditure you can dispense 208 degree water at any time for any reason, triple checkmate on everyone. (Or hit reboil and wait 30 seconds if you really need 212 degree water).

I find these kettle debates loving stupid - if you are serious about tea, get a water boiler and have on demand hot water ready to make tea all the time. And for those who will instantly yell about how much electricity it wastes, I did an energy audit of all my devices a few years ago (i.e. plugged them into Kill-A-Watts for a week) and the water boiler, when not actively heating, was basically irrelevant in terms of costs. Don't get me wrong, it costs me a lot because it goes through a water heat cycle daily, but that's because I drink a LOT of tea.

edit: it truly is astonishing that there are Stockholm-syndrome-level proponents of switched outlets. I've been to a decent amount of countries with switched outlets. At no point was it more convenient to walk over to the wall and use the switch on the outlet rather than turn off whatever device I was using. Face it, every country hosed up in one way or another when it came to electricity. The US uses the wrong voltage and has dumb unsafe plugs. The UK uses the wrong circuit/amperage architecture and has dumb switched outlets to compensate (and the UK plug, while safe in various ways that the US one isn't, is certainly not great in terms of size and "puncture your foot capability"). We all get to deal with stupid poo poo that will never go away because someone 80-100 years ago made a decision that who knows, may have been the best one at the time but is now widely regarded as terrible and idiotic. Electricity is not the only trade demonstrating that problem...

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 2, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SyNack Sassimov posted:

edit: it truly is astonishing that there are Stockholm-syndrome-level proponents of switched outlets. I've been to a decent amount of countries with switched outlets. At no point was it more convenient to walk over to the wall and use the switch on the outlet rather than turn off whatever device I was using. Face it, every country hosed up in one way or another when it came to electricity. The US uses the wrong voltage and has dumb unsafe plugs. The UK uses the wrong circuit/amperage architecture and has dumb switched outlets to compensate (and the UK plug, while safe in various ways that the US one isn't, is certainly not great in terms of size and "puncture your foot capability"). We all get to deal with stupid poo poo that will never go away because someone 80-100 years ago made a decision that who knows, may have been the best one at the time but is now widely regarded as terrible and idiotic. Electricity is not the only trade demonstrating that problem...

I'm gonna agree with most of this, but also make sure you know we didn't choose the "wrong voltage". Every house in the us has 220/240 via split phase. A considered safety decision was made to supply only the things that really need that fault current with 240. Things like stoves and electric dryers and other high load devices like air conditioners. All you need to have 240 in the US is to grab two opposite hots rather than a hot and a neutral. You don't even need to rewire from an outlet for this to happen because it's the same number of conductors.

The fact that most devices run on 120v is an engineering/safety decision. Would I like a 240v kettle? Hell yes. But when your'e talking about things like these awesome looking Zojirushi things.......those can be hard wired or even plugged to 240. It matters so little to most people that it's just not a common thing here. But things like that absolutely exist for a very small market.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 2, 2021

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Thats not a 12 gauge.

Oh yes, of course, how stupid of me, how could I, an Amerigun, living in Agunica, land of GUN, fail to realize that the pre-crafted meme I found in ten seconds of googling and provided as a supplement to my humorous statement was not in fact wholly accurate to the statement I had just made about an ironic misparsing that had just occurred? How flagrantly lazy of me not to go acquire a number of comically inappropriate fusing materials and construct my own meme. Surely that would have been a fulfilling and appropriate amount of effort to go through to make a handful of people chuckle softly.

Dick.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Dareon posted:

Oh yes, of course, how stupid of me, how could I, an Amerigun, living in Agunica, land of GUN, fail to realize that the pre-crafted meme I found in ten seconds of googling and provided as a supplement to my humorous statement was not in fact wholly accurate to the statement I had just made about an ironic misparsing that had just occurred? How flagrantly lazy of me not to go acquire a number of comically inappropriate fusing materials and construct my own meme. Surely that would have been a fulfilling and appropriate amount of effort to go through to make a handful of people chuckle softly.

Dick.

epic

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I am FURIOUS about the existence of a switch I could just not use if it was even present in my house, which it is not.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
(we have switches on appliances as well as on the sockets)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The only thing I'm really cross about in America wiring wise is that 3 phase is essentially non-existent in residential use. I wanna run CNC mills in my basement without spending a grand on a phase converter or slightly less on a VFD and the power company just laughed when I asked, even though there's 3 phase on the pole within a block and I said I'd pay for the install costs.