Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Verviticus posted:

i dont have a ton of memories of history/social studies but i definitely feel like i came out of high school with a reasonable understanding of how heinous residential schools really were. a friend of mine says she remembers explicitly learning that too (this is in vancouver)

From Ontario, highschool ended in 2006 for me, I don't believe residential schools got a single mention. Had to learn about them through wikipedia, news articles and my peers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
There was nothing about residential schools in my high school curriculum, circa 2000-2004.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

Winnipeg is/was a blue collar city so stuff like this really resonates with people.

If by "blue collar" you mean racist rednecks then yes, you are correct in your summary of why the CFL is so popular in places like Winnipeg and Saskatchewan. My experience has always been that CFL fans are the people who find the NHL far too diverse and "woke".

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Verviticus posted:

i dont have a ton of memories of history/social studies but i definitely feel like i came out of high school with a reasonable understanding of how heinous residential schools really were. a friend of mine says she remembers explicitly learning that too (this is in vancouver)

yeah same here, I even remember we watched rabbit-proof fence in school because there were no movies about residential schools in Canada but they wanted us to see how bad they were. And my teacher said the policy was even worse in Canada than Australia. I graduated high school mid-00s. Can't remember if it was an elective course or not.

I think the whole "we need better education" idea is kind of liberal bullshit, sorry to those in this thread who mentioned it, but it comes off the same as land acknowledgement to me. It's just thoughts and prayers and "awareness". I don't think any indigenous groups are asking for that. I'd be more interested in prosecuting anyone who is still alive that was involved in the schools, former indian agents etc. no matter how old they are. And the churches that got off scot-free - from what I understand the Catholic church basically completely dodged their 79$ million dollar reparations bill thanks to Harper.

Starks fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 1, 2021

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Honestly people that aren’t willing to get the vaccine should be straight at the back of the line in terms of ICU priority.

Somebody comes up that urgently needs care? Whoops, guess there’s a bed available now.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The CFL rules

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Another Bill posted:

There's some kind of organized effort to get schools to reopen but I can't figure out who or why. Only the dumbest dickbags I know want schools to reopen at this point.

I feel like it's primarily being driven by middle-class parents working from home tearing their hair out, but that's just a sense I get.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
https://twitter.com/janisirwin/status/1399810858188886017?s=21

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Starks posted:

I think the whole "we need better education" idea is kind of liberal bullshit, sorry to those in this thread who mentioned it, but it comes off the same as land acknowledgement to me. It's just thoughts and prayers and "awareness". I don't think any indigenous groups are asking for that. I'd be more interested in prosecuting anyone who is still alive that was involved in the schools, former indian agents etc. no matter how old they are. And the churches that got off scot-free - from what I understand the Catholic church basically completely dodged their 79$ million dollar reparations bill thanks to Harper.

There is a difference between educating people to raise awareness and understanding and the mealy mouthed BS of recognizing traditional unceded territory in political speeches. The latter is pretty much SOP "look good for the camera" optics for public speakers while the former doesn't hurt anyone and introduces new concepts to people who don't know any better. We absolutely should be demanding better from our education system. The outcry over the current situation has brought in a lot of people who didn't know about it all or didn't know the full extent of the atrocities and the use of social media has been very strong at signal boosting the news.

Now imagine if that same energy was put into educating people during their formative years to emphasize that this is important and shouldn't be glossed over because it upsets some poor racist's sensibilities. Education isn't the problem, it's the system of government behind education that staunchly refuses to treat these incidents as anything other than an embarrassing factoid to cover up at all costs and that mandate trickles down through every social system they have a hand in.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

RBC posted:

There was nothing about residential schools in my high school curriculum, circa 2000-2004.
We read a lot about them in the West and the World course, but my teacher in grade 11 was pretty loving woke for 2003.

Starks posted:

yeah same here, I even remember we watched rabbit-proof fence in school because there were no movies about residential schools in Canada but they wanted us to see how bad they were. And my teacher said the policy was even worse in Canada than Australia. I graduated high school mid-00s. Can't remember if it was an elective course or not.
We also watched this movie, for the same reason. Go Panthers?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Correct. It is by far a better product than the NFL and actually pays its players (a pittance), making it also better than college ball.

I hope it bounces back somehow with whatever their weird partnership ends up being, it would be a true shame to lose it.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

redbrouw posted:

We read a lot about them in the West and the World course, but my teacher in grade 11 was pretty loving woke for 2003.
We also watched this movie, for the same reason. Go Panthers?

Mid 2000s Ontario HS graduate. Learned about residential schools because a teacher forced the topic into an elective geography course.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Same for me in the late 90s/early 2000s.

I don't think it was part of any curriculum, but some teachers cared enough to work it in.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I grew up in northern Ontario surrounded by reservations, and with a large native population in my high school. Residential schools were never once brought up.

Also Sassafras finally ate an actual ban and month probation, lol.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jesus christ what the gently caress is Kenney doing!? He's literally doing a whataboutism on a question about Sir John A MacDonald by talking about all the poo poo Wilfred Laurier did. And now he's on a rant about cancel culture.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 1, 2021

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

I distinctly remember being shown the movie "Where The Spirit Lives" in high school sometime in the late 90s. In retrospect it probably toned things down compared to the horrors that actually occurred, but it was my first time hearing about the schools so it was a start.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Arcsquad12 posted:

Jesus christ what the gently caress is Kenney doing!? He's literally doing a whataboutism on a question about Sir John A MacDonald by talking about all the ahit Wilfred Laurier did.

He's making sure the racist rednecks in his party/ constituency/ province think they can own liberals on this. Truth and justice are inconsequential

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I've been reflecting on the kids who were bussed from reserves to my neighborhood for schooling. When I went to school residential schools were still open( I'm old). I always used to think it was wrong to culturally indoctrinate the native kids like that, but now I'm wondering if they were the lucky ones.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You know what this week really needs while we're talking about genocide? A discussion about cancel culture ruining the good name of an old white racist! Historiography, what's that you made that word up!

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
loving read a room bumbles jesus christ that was embarassing.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

InfiniteZero posted:

If by "blue collar" you mean racist rednecks then yes, you are correct in your summary of why the CFL is so popular in places like Winnipeg and Saskatchewan. My experience has always been that CFL fans are the people who find the NHL far too diverse and "woke".

Everyone I know who goes regularly to CFL games is from working class families in Elmwood, Transcona etc. Everyone I know who goes regularly to NHL games is from upper middle class families in the suburbs. I know lots of people who like the CFL who have great politics, and lots of people who like the NHL who also have great politics, but the difference in in-person attendance seems to be income.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

I went to lunch with my in-laws today and my boomer (but kind) father in law started asking questions about the residential schools and their history.

So we talked about it and he did start to understand that these children were murdered - doesn’t matter if it was by disease or abuse or whatever. He asked why this hadn’t come up before (the bodies) and I said it’s cause the government never cared.

People are listening and educating themselves. That’s never a bad thing.

ChickenDoodle fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 2, 2021

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Duck Rodgers posted:

Everyone I know who goes regularly to CFL games is from working class families in Elmwood, Transcona etc. Everyone I know who goes regularly to NHL games is from upper middle class families in the suburbs. I know lots of people who like the CFL who have great politics, and lots of people who like the NHL who also have great politics, but the difference in in-person attendance seems to be income.

I'm pretty sure you can still catch a CFL game for like 30 bucks a ticket, and I couldn't tell you how much an NHL ticket costs because I've never seen a game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zutaten posted:

I'm pretty sure you can still catch a CFL game for like 30 bucks a ticket, and I couldn't tell you how much an NHL ticket costs because I've never seen a game.

Depends on if you want to be up in the nosebleeds or not and if you have access to transportation. Also depends on the stadium, team and league. I've gotten Sens tickets for as low as $50 but it's a bastard to find parking, CTC is on the rear end end of Kanata, and you're watching the Senators, where the away team has more fans in seats than you do.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Here is bumbles loving up the easiest softball.

https://twitter.com/TheBreakdownAB/status/1399865810496090114?s=20

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Duck Rodgers posted:

It's def a stereotype that at BC Lions games there's blue collar fans while at Canucks games it's all realtors doing business deals on their phones the whole time.

I think it was a big missed opportunity when it came down to what to do about BC Place. The Province should have imploded the overbuilt thing (capacity 54,000 lmao), made a fortune selling the land to developers to make Yaletown 2.0, built social housing with the proceeds, and suggested to the BC Lions that they build a stadium out where most of their fans live, in Surrey, contributing to the creation of the Downtown there. Instead the BC Liberals spent half a billion on renovations. Great thx.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

You know Doug McCallum would have built them whatever they want too so I’m kinda glad that timing didn’t work out.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

TheKingofSprings posted:

Honestly people that aren’t willing to get the vaccine should be straight at the back of the line in terms of ICU priority.

Somebody comes up that urgently needs care? Whoops, guess there’s a bed available now.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/even-in...-real-1.5451335

quote:

Dr. Ganesan Abbu, a family doctor at Boundary Trails Health Centre, said they’ve seen a surge in cases in the last two weeks. He said at any one time, the facility has 15 to 20 COVID-19 patients and up to three in the special care unit.

Abbu added that Boundary Trails also accounted for about 40 per cent of the patient transfers sent to Winnipeg and Brandon over the weekend.

“If I’m accounting for the numbers correctly, they say it was the busiest weekend in the pandemic so far for Manitoba ICUs,” he said.

quote:

Abbu said that many of the COVID-19 patients coming into Boundary Trails hospital are not vaccinated. He noted that though some people were awaiting their vaccination appointments, the majority “refused to be vaccinated.”

Abbu said some patients are angry and upset with their COVID-19 diagnosis, because they don’t believe in COVID-19.

More and more people are needlessly dying from non-COVID ailments because of their dumbshit beliefs, and it's going to keep happening. The entire rest of the province would most certainly be much, much better off if COVID was allowed to decimate the population of the Pembina Valley from Steinbach to Morden, and it seems like the only thing keeping them from doing that to themselves is the fact that we live in a civil society that works to prevent that from happening no matter how much they seem to want it.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

flakeloaf posted:

I think I've found your problem

Alctel posted:

Yeah Canada is racist but newspaper comment sections are inhabited strictly by exceedingly racist old boomers

I actually think this is an issue. It's too easy to downplay it as, "well it's those old racist guys and we'll just have to live with it until they die" kind of thing.
It's an infection of the mind and it's being passed down to younger generations plenty enough. You can get a sense of the demographics by using facebook since it has accounts attached to the comments.

Yes, certainly a good number of them are old white men and women ranting about 3rd-world imports. But there are also plenty of sub-40 year olds in there. Their flavor of racism is slightly different since a lot of them know better than to be too blatant about it, but it's there, and it's strong.
I just don't want to become too optimistic about it being just a matter of time until we inhabit a mostly racism-free utopia or something.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Fidelitious posted:

I actually think this is an issue. It's too easy to downplay it as, "well it's those old racist guys and we'll just have to live with it until they die" kind of thing.
It's an infection of the mind and it's being passed down to younger generations plenty enough. You can get a sense of the demographics by using facebook since it has accounts attached to the comments.

Yes, certainly a good number of them are old white men and women ranting about 3rd-world imports. But there are also plenty of sub-40 year olds in there. Their flavor of racism is slightly different since a lot of them know better than to be too blatant about it, but it's there, and it's strong.
I just don't want to become too optimistic about it being just a matter of time until we inhabit a mostly racism-free utopia or something.

agree

i’ve brought this up before but the local subreddit is mostly 18-40 and there’s a ton of racist poo poo

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Part of this is selection bias. Racist old people took over comments sections to the point that nobody who isn't a racist old person at heart wants to take part in them.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I lay some pretty sick burns on the G&M comment boards. The racism there is off the charts, as well as the vaccine disinformation. I've definitely gotten in a few people's heads, people call me out by name on articles I haven't even read yet.

I have a few tips for maximizing enjoyment of newspaper comment trolling:
1) Just comment and leave, don't read people's replies it will only drag you into an argument with an idiot. Say your piece and move on.
2) Always tag the top comment or two with a smart reply explaining why it is wrong / racist. That way your idea doesn't have to get upvoted to get noticed, and you're countering the most toxic bullshit.
3) Put 'from Toronto' in your user name. I cannot stress this one enough, it drives people loving crazy to be burned/condescended to by a progressive FROM TORONTO.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Another Bill posted:

3) Put 'from Toronto' in your user name. I cannot stress this one enough, it drives people loving crazy to be burned/condescended to by a progressive FROM TORONTO.

I love this. Pure essence of SomethingAwful.com

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

vyelkin posted:

Part of this is selection bias. Racist old people took over comments sections to the point that nobody who isn't a racist old person at heart wants to take part in them.

I also blame html filters in comments that block html scripts. There used to be a time when, if one went to post a vitriolic or racist comment on a globe and mail article, well - you weren't guaranteed you wouldn't be redirected to another, say, more 'colourful' website.

I'd like to think that some racists kept their thoughts to themselves after witnessing hello.jpg in all its glory on a globe and mail site.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Another Bill from Toronto is wonderfully ambiguous.

Is it a guy named Bill? More chicanery from Queen's Park? Who knows?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The CBC used to have a comments section where anonymous users without accounts could vote comments up and down. It was the best comments section on the internet, the top-rated comments tended to be thoughtful and helpful and all the racist garbage was downvoted into oblivion. Then they changed it to a system where only logged-in users could vote and there were no more downvotes, and the racist garbage floated to the top immediately. Now they just don't have comments on like half the website because they drove away all the good commenters and the only people left are the ones who call for genocide under every article.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Oh, was that disqus? The company changed that a few years back and it was bullshit. We nuked our comments sections entirely over the removal of the downvote function

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Oh, was that disqus? The company changed that a few years back and it was bullshit. We nuked our comments sections entirely over the removal of the downvote function

No, this was like 10 years ago and as far as I can tell it was a bespoke system I never saw on any other site. The one they switched to might have been Disqus, I don't remember.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

wonder what new and interesting things doug will say today at 1pm (1:15? 1:30? 2:00?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
It's going to be that schools aren't opening.