Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Congratulations, you are literally a mad scientist who uses prisoners as guinea pigs to create an army of abominations.
Yeah, that's like... even for this game, that is way beyond the pale.

"Oh I've just been randomly splicing insect DNA into unwilling prisoners to see what'd happen, I'm using the knowledge to further my goal of an army of insectoid warrior people", are you listening to yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"No no, it's REMOVING, not HARVESTING." is not going to work at Space-Nuremberg

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How do I reach the tipping point faster where it's less looking after a bunch of babies and more sitting back whilst my colonists are able to handle things. I feel like each day is a struggle with a million and one tasks to do. Do I just need to go and attack factions to capture a bunch of worthwhile pawns or? Phoebe keeps chucking rabid manhunting packs at me that usually consist of boomrats or cats or turkeys. I wanna spice things up a little with more quests instead of sitting and waiting for them to come in, whilst also having the chance of nabbing new people. Also, how do I get my psylinked person new spells and abilities, I'm at 75 Goodwill with the Imperium and de nada.

I have the hospitality mod but I can't tell if the UI is bugged. There's a few sliding options when I go over the guest tab but clicking and dragging it does nothing and I don't exactly know what it is I'm meant to be doing to weasle the people I want over to my side. Plus, the assholes eat all my food, and I'd rather not give away valuable stuff to a bunch of useless pawns when I only like the look of one or two of them. I'll end it with a final macabre question: how do I harvest organs from prisoners without them dying, because IIRC as soon as they die, you're no longer able to put harvesting bills. I'd like to have a stockpile of organs in a separate freezer with it's own backup power supply, but I don't even know if that's worthwhile? Do pawns ever have issues with organs that I can fix by replacing it with donor organs or nah?

Qubee fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 1, 2021

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

There is no space-Nuremburg. :unsmigghh:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You can only be tried by space nuremburg if you get caught

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Leal posted:

You can only be tried by space nuremburg if they can break through your army of insectoid murder machines

ftfy

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
it's always amazing reading people joyfully doing this poo poo for the slightest benefit while my most horrifying habitual crime is training my donkeys to throw all the raider corpses into an open mass grave on the edge of the map so i don't have to look at them

i guess there's also replacing prisoner jaws with dentures so train medical on my colonists but i feel like that's a fair trade. i save your life rather than let you bleed out in the fields and you leave with a wooden jaw as a reminder of your mistakes.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I feel bad doing horrible things except to raiders. Like I try to make my barns as pretty as possible, and try to make my animals as happy as possible. But a raider? poo poo, give me your lung and a kidney and get the gently caress out of here.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Qubee posted:

How do I reach the tipping point faster where it's less looking after a bunch of babies and more sitting back whilst my colonists are able to handle things. I feel like each day is a struggle with a million and one tasks to do. Do I just need to go and attack factions to capture a bunch of worthwhile pawns or?
Are your Work assignments properly set up? If you're micromanaging, it doesn't sound like they are. Are you still on checkmarks? You want to be on numeric so that you can prioritize and have people working on the stuff that they're good at, and also so you can temporarily change priorities to get something crucial done (like setting Clean to 1 across the board if your fort gets too goddamn filthy, or Plant Cut when a blight hits).

quote:

Phoebe keeps chucking rabid manhunting packs at me that usually consist of boomrats or cats or turkeys. I wanna spice things up a little with more quests instead of sitting and waiting for them to come in, whilst also having the chance of nabbing new people. Also, how do I get my psylinked person new spells and abilities, I'm at 75 Goodwill with the Imperium and de nada.
Phoebe is giving you really basic DPS checks because she's not impressed with what you have. If you have enough fortifications to laugh that sort of thing off, she'll increase the threat and start sending humans. But keep in mind that Phoebe is nice, and will always take it easy on you. (I dunno about the Royalty stuff.)

quote:

I have the hospitality mod but I can't tell if the UI is bugged. There's a few sliding options when I go over the guest tab but clicking and dragging it does nothing and I don't exactly know what it is I'm meant to be doing to weasle the people I want over to my side.
Yeah, those aren't click-and-drags, they're showing you how many friends the guys have vs. how many you need to recruit them for the reduced opinion hit.

What you're meant to be doing is, when you get visitors, click the first option for all of them -- that's "entertain", it'll task your Entertainers to keep them happy. Visitors who leave in a good mood boost your relations with their faction, will come back sooner, and will bring more money when they do. Once you've got groups reliably leaving happy, you can start charging for guest beds and turning a profit. The second option is "make friends", it'll task your Entertainers with befriending them and also talking up your other colonists to make the guests befriend them too. Hitting a specific number of friends is how you get the Recruit button to show up on the Guest tab and recruit them for less of a relationship hit. If you're just desperate for any new colonists, you can click this for all your guests and then either grab whoever comes up, or once the recruit button shows up, check them out then and make a decision on if they're worth recruiting.

quote:

Plus, the assholes eat all my food, and I'd rather not give away valuable stuff to a bunch of useless pawns when I only like the look of one or two of them.
Guests are extremely valuable, because they're an easier and more reliable source of recruits than prisoners in the early game, and once you have a nice place for them to sleep and enough Entertainers, running a hotel is free money. You can set up a shopping area for them where you can put all the stuff you don't want, and they'll browse it and make purchases while they're there. Plus, if they like you enough, they'll help do chores while they're around! Guests are great.

One more thing I forgot: guests who are individually very happy with their stay will give you gifts when they leave, which can be quite valuable or useful.

quote:

I'll end it with a final macabre question: how do I harvest organs from prisoners without them dying, because IIRC as soon as they die, you're no longer able to put harvesting bills. I'd like to have a stockpile of organs in a separate freezer with it's own backup power supply, but I don't even know if that's worthwhile? Do pawns ever have issues with organs that I can fix by replacing it with donor organs or nah?
Go to the prisoners' health tab and queue up a "harvest whatever" operation on them. You're gonna eat a pretty nasty "Vivisected" mood malus on your dudes, though, even worse if you kill 'em.

Harvesting organs from corpses is indeed not an option in the base game, but there's a mod for that which I like: Harvest Organs Post Mortem. I think it's balanced: you need to do research to unlock the option and then improve the operation, you have to build items to do it at, it costs medicine, and the window for harvesting is very limited. I'm not sure how long it is, exactly, but I don't think it's even a day before corpses become non-viable for it.

Why you want organs: pawns won't get sick, but they'll get hurt. This is a game where a guy can very much get his lung or stomach destroyed in a fight, and that's when you'll be very happy you have replacements on hand.

And hey, good news -- for some reason, organs don't spoil. Even biological ones. You can keep them at room temperature forever.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 1, 2021

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

And to add, the reason they die is because you pulled out something important.

Grab a lung, a kidney and then one optional organ if it is ok if they die.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Coolguye posted:

i guess there's also replacing prisoner jaws with dentures so train medical on my colonists but i feel like that's a fair trade. i save your life rather than let you bleed out in the fields and you leave with a wooden jaw as a reminder of your mistakes.

jokes posted:

I feel bad doing horrible things except to raiders. Like I try to make my barns as pretty as possible, and try to make my animals as happy as possible. But a raider? poo poo, give me your lung and a kidney and get the gently caress out of here.
Like I said, I've got an autopsy mod, which I refer to as my colony's Involuntary Organ Donor Program. My colony thanks you for your generous gift of organs, which you agreed to when you stepped onto my loving land and loving dared to raise a hand in anger against my people. Don't take your organs with you to Hell; Satan knows we need them here!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Satan is what we named the insectoid robot monster with the super high medicine score that we have chained up in the hospital. We don't know what it eats, but our healthcare is really great!

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Qubee posted:

Also, how do I get my psylinked person new spells and abilities, I'm at 75 Goodwill with the Imperium and de nada.

To get noble titles you need Honor, not goodwill, which you get that by doing quests for the empire and/or giving the Royal Tribute Collector gold or prisoners (unless it got changed this counts as selling them into slavery, so non-psychopaths get a mood debuff from this). When you get enough honor points you the game will generate a quest/event to raise your title+link to the next level if you meet the throneroom/bedroom requirements. Each rank gives +1 psylink level and teaches a random psycast but if your pawn already has link of equivalent/higher level from another source*, you don't get anything.

Apart the random psycast you get upon upgrading link level, you can buy psycast injectors from traders.

Also something to consider: for imperial casters it really helps to only give high-level titles to Ascetic pawns since they're a lot more easygoing about title requirements. Greedy/jealous suck even harder than usual in that aspect.

*Other sources of psylink are Anima Tree (if your pawn has a Tribal-type background which enables Nature meditation focus) or just buying or stealing Psylink Neuroformer items from traders/settlements.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
my best doctor started colony life as the tribe's butcher, she happened to also have psychopathic tendencies and enjoyed pain

turns out these skills have a natural synergy with prisoners

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Well, you know what they say, practice makes perfect.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

she happened to also have psychopathic tendencies and enjoyed pain

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Congratulations, you are literally a mad scientist who uses prisoners as guinea pigs to create an army of abominations.

There, uh, is a mod that does literally that too. DIY Humans. A mod that lets you stitch together new pawns from a cobbled together mess of parts.

To be clear, I don't actually use this mod. I just found it the other day and was very :stare: while reading the description.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
yeah but does it support CE

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I started a new colony without CE and while I did enjoy CE while it was in there, everything's just so much simpler now. It's wholesome, really. has pawns dump corpses into the nearby river

It looks like Alpha Animals added some new creatures, too. Animal pod event brought me a... skip hound? Kinda neat looking, apparently blinks everywhere.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

silentsnack posted:

Also something to consider: for imperial casters it really helps to only give high-level titles to Ascetic pawns since they're a lot more easygoing about title requirements. Greedy/jealous suck even harder than usual in that aspect.

I like turning all my colonists into nobles so greedy and jealous end up being deal breaker traits for me, at least for recruits I intend to keep long term.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I like to run a catch-and-release program where all male invaders are castrated, stripped and sent running home naked in the snow

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

With the power of mods, that isn't just possible it's also optimal!

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Thanks to whoever recommended the "zone all expendable animals on top of enemies" strategy. I've never had an easier time with mechanoids and it's all thanks to two dozen horribly injured or dead goats and horses.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I want to sleep in that bed

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

You know, when the building colonist makes a legendary royal bed that focuses on someones capture, I guess they're just into making that kind of bed.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta

showbiz_liz posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended the "zone all expendable animals on top of enemies" strategy. I've never had an easier time with mechanoids and it's all thanks to two dozen horribly injured or dead goats and horses.

Enough muffalo at a choke point can tank huge waves of melee enemies, trivializes infestations except for resources lost to rebuild.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
The psychic animal pulser is good for that too, especially after they changed it so it no longer affects your own animals. Aggroing a thrumbo herd on some raiders is really funny, but just siccing some random animals on raiders with heavy ordnance can be effective since they'll happily waste their rockets or doomsday launcher shots on them.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
anybody who might have been looking for something like "rimworld but with z-levels", Going Medieval is out and it's okay I guess
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1029780/Going_Medieval/

It's still Early Access but it's pretty solid and stable, there's an actual game there. A lot of mechanical elements like skill priorities are pretty much 1:1 copies.

e: and yes you can do the man meat thing in this game :btroll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO82pZ0pjo8

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 3, 2021

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The game knew they were all catgirls

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i read that as "anubis" the first 3 times and could not figure out why you thought it was wrong

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jesus Randy

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Found a ShadowRun themed mod, adds elves/orcs/trolls/dwarves into the mix but nothing else, they're just a part of all the factions. Rimworld's already got the magic (psycast) and cyberware (bionics) anyway!

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, that's like... even for this game, that is way beyond the pale.

"Oh I've just been randomly splicing insect DNA into unwilling prisoners to see what'd happen, I'm using the knowledge to further my goal of an army of insectoid warrior people", are you listening to yourself.

all my rimworld games are just war crimes themed by biome

desert? working in a quarry and feeding them maggots harvested from their comrades processed corpses
icesheet? they have to craft their own parkas from human leather to survive the cold while constantly working the smelters/crematorium
swamp? see aforementioned insectoids while farming psychite/smokeleaf

and any time a prisoner goes berserk: one organ harvested

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Has anyone comboed Hospitality and Deep Storage before? I just built a lovely shopping zone with all the goods organized and stored in various containers, and nobody's even coming in.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Has anyone comboed Hospitality and Deep Storage before? I just built a lovely shopping zone with all the goods organized and stored in various containers, and nobody's even coming in.

Yes. They shop just fine. Did you remember to zone it as shopping area?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

SugarAddict posted:

Yes. They shop just fine. Did you remember to zone it as shopping area?
I did. Maybe they just don't want various textiles and blocks?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

CapnAndy posted:

I did. Maybe they just don't want various textiles and blocks?

Maybe drugs and t-shirts and silly hats and collectible knives, like normal tourist shovelwares?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is my recreation bugged? I've got a horseshoe, chess table, and poker table. I give my people 2 hours of recreation time per day, but they're always all so low on recreation and getting mega mood debuffs.

I'm just going to start over because it's a shitshow here and even with two dedicated cleaners, my entire base is just covered in dirt and blood and grime. I also grew and harvested over 6000 hay and it wasn't enough to feed my animals over winter so they all starved lol, I didn't even have that many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Hover over your colonist's recreation bars, they might be too bored of those recreation types to continue gaining appreciable recreation.