Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They're called repatriation loans and he'd never formally renounced citizenship (despite taking a bunch of actions which made it clear he desired to do so).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Yeah, Bugliosi gets into that as well from what I remember and details the numbers of others who did the same thing.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
Haven’t read Reclaiming History, but Bugliosi was revealed to be a huge liar and piece of poo poo in O’Neill’s Chaos if I recall. Not the source I’d place too much trust in based on how he handled the “truth” of the Manson case.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Bugliosi's ego is off the charts and he's a prick, that much is true, and even within 'Helter Skelter' he basically admits that as a prosecutor he had to find a motive for why Manson did what he did and it's unsure to what extent he himself believed it. But, I'm not really going to look towards Tom O'Neils lost-in-the-weeds CIA fanfiction for answers on anything either.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

Bugliosi's ego is off the charts and he's a prick, that much is true, and even within 'Helter Skelter' he basically admits that as a prosecutor he had to find a motive for why Manson did what he did and it's unsure to what extent he himself believed it. But, I'm not really going to look towards Tom O'Neils lost-in-the-weeds CIA fanfiction for answers on anything either.

While there’s certainly a fair share of “consider the ~implications~” I think the most grounded and researched stuff in that book is the dismantling of Bugliosi’s case. And regardless of if he believed it, he wrote a book about it and very much profited from it. He struck me as more a canny businessman than dedicated truth seeker.

But again, haven’t read it. I’ll have to check it out someday.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
I found the Joe Biden song from the episode: https://youtu.be/n6qFLq44Fos
I do not condone this or anything like it against anyone, including public figures, but thought that looking at this doofus would be merely funny because of the absurdity of the song barely synced to Weezer.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

The North Tower posted:

I do not condone this or anything like it against anyone, including public figures, but thought that looking at this doofus would be merely funny because of the absurdity of the song barely synced to Weezer.

Caleb is great. You seem offended by the song though and I’m not sure why.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
https://twitter.com/jubioW/status/1305362613581352960

Is this more suitable?

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

The North Tower posted:

Too late, I already told the FBI that you wrote and performed this song

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

The_Rob posted:

Caleb is great. You seem offended by the song though and I’m not sure why.

I think it’s hilarious. I just don’t want to have to talk to any secret service agents.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
https://trib.com/news/state-and-reg...cd0f832eda.html

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Remember: there are people who see nothing wrong with this.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
👁

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

As much as I've enjoyed the JFK series this recent muck about broad spectrum episode was an absolute delight. Very wholesome energy with them both in the same room. Yung on point with the production too, lost it at the windows 95 startup sound.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
do all these JFK episodes make more sense or become easier to follow if you've seen the Oliver Stone movie? they all sound like a bunch of assassination autists getting really into the weeds to me, but i didn't know about any of the big conspiracy theory figures like de Mohrenschildt or Guy Banister before this.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

do all these JFK episodes make more sense or become easier to follow if you've seen the Oliver Stone movie? they all sound like a bunch of assassination autists getting really into the weeds to me, but i didn't know about any of the big conspiracy theory figures like de Mohrenschildt or Guy Banister before this.

I think of them and the 9/11 episodes as very special episodes where I learn about conspiracy theories, what the high-level historiography of them are and how they appeal to people.

Then again I’m in the State Department’s CIA/FBI crossover branch so I know the real truth.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No, the movie doesn’t really help or frame anything better, treat these episodes as a longform lecture series to be consumed and reconsumed.

Like I’ve listened to their 9/11 episodes like 4-5 times a piece because I liked learning about all the moving parts of the administration. Same thing with Blowback, good things to listen to a couple times to let everything sink in.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
You should see the movie though, it’s great. Joe Pesci really does blow it away but otherwise it’s a loving insane movie in its own right.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

It's better if you watch JFK as a movie that's about conspiracies, rather than looking for any particular insight into what happened, not least of all because it frames Jim Garrison as a hero.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JFK is a great movie but it's so bad in terms of the facts that believers in the conspiracy even comment on that.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Features an amazing scene of RFK’s assassination saving his marriage after they get all horny after it

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Sirhan sirhan was a marital aid???

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://twitter.com/TrueAnonPod/status/1399175382553829377
ultimate crossover

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
uh oh Brace is having a Fair Play for Cuba moment rn

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Gorman Thomas posted:

uh oh Brace is having a Fair Play for Cuba moment rn

When they frame him for a mass shooting this will be the picture used all over the media

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
that gently caress BIDEN hat rules, tho. think they have them in realtree?

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
https://twitter.com/minesweeper69x1/status/1400183430521016323?s=21

lol

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

happy to hear it. field work in syria is dangerous grueling work, podcasting isn't much better. hes really earned his promotion through hard dangerous efforts

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

New TrueAnon is the long awaited Fort Bragg episode and it is loving wild.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Danger posted:

New TrueAnon is the long awaited Fort Bragg episode and it is loving wild.

I'm from about 45 minutes away from Fayettenam and don't know poo poo about this, it must have happened since I've moved away. from interesting to listen to this later

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'm from about 45 minutes away from Fayettenam and don't know poo poo about this, it must have happened since I've moved away. from interesting to listen to this later

The article is also very good:
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/fort-bragg-murders-1153405/

quote:

There was another vivid memory that particularly bothered him: walking through the rubble of a demolished city with a Belgian Malinois, a service dog, and allowing the animal to eat the brains from a dead man’s broken skull “as a treat.”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Fort Bragg was the only time I’ve ever attempted to go down the rabbit hole on my own and basically after barely dipping my toe in I’m confident that we will never understand the depths of the dark and depraved things that happened at Bragg, true Yellow King in Carcosa level hosed up poo poo

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
yung chomsky hit me with that Battlefield 1942 theme, bby

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Danger posted:

The article is also very good:
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/fort-bragg-murders-1153405/

quote:

There was another vivid memory that particularly bothered him: walking through the rubble of a demolished city with a Belgian Malinois, a service dog, and allowing the animal to eat the brains from a dead man’s broken skull “as a treat.”

gently caress me that's a sentence

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

dogs can have a little brains, as a treat

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

he was a vvgood boi chonky pupperino that day

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

But, I'm not really going to look towards Tom O'Neils lost-in-the-weeds CIA fanfiction for answers on anything either.

lol @ this sentence

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Brace learning about the fast and the furious made me LOL

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Tom O'Neil’s book is insanely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

The Kingfish posted:

Tom O'Neil’s book is insanely good.

I agree, it's a good read, well researched. He doesn't jump to conclusions, he fully admits that he sadly doesn't have a complete and provable explanation for what really happened, just that the official story is not credible.