Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

As someone who hasn't watched this yet, has it shown any signs of dipping in quality like most CW shows or did this first season hold up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

evilmiera posted:

As someone who hasn't watched this yet, has it shown any signs of dipping in quality like most CW shows or did this first season hold up?

The first season is holding up so far, but that's actually fairly typical for most CWverse series (I think LoT is the exception). It's when it gets to S2 and onwards where the cracks might start showing

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
No show is a good show until it's maintained quality for two plus seasons.

Doesn't mean they can't be good, it enjoyable, or watchable, or whatever. But a show is more than a good season, particularly a heavily serialised one. You've got to prove yourself over a longer period of time.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Man, the emotions in this episode are incredibly raw.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Hmm, Superman weakened by breathing in kryptonite gas while a tech genius stands over him with a kryptonite spear ready to kill him over a vision of Superman going evil and destroying the world? And then Lois shows up at the last minute and talks him out of it? All seems familiar somehow...

I kid, I kid

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Elizabeth Tulloch's crying and talking almost seems like a direct response to compaints about the stock cry-talking we get elsewhere in the Arrowverse.

This show is good.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I was one of the few who liked Tulloch on Grimm. I feel vindicated :)

She has a certain tough quality / charisma that works for me, like Caity Lotz on LOT.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Holy poo poo so that’s where I know her from.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
that therapy scene was so heartrending, gently caress

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Angry Lois is terrifying

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Actually I still can't believe they let him go. Show of good faith, sure but the dude attacked a military facility. He would definitely be in gitmo. At least confiscate his fancy murder van and weapons.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Okay so this episode really hit me in the feels.

Whole thing is still doing a great job of humanizing everyone, to varying degrees.

Still love Jonathan, I'm glad they finally had the "being human in a family of super heroes" talk between him and Lois. His acting watching the tv death was really quite affecting.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Predictions:

The Kryptonian consciousnesses in human bodies thing is gonna be a precursor to the Eradicator actually being the big bad that got unknowingly unleashed by Edge and may persist to the next season. That one will probably also show what happened to this Earth's Irons

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Hell of a pitch for a B plot.

Let's just gently caress the audience up.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I liked this episode for the most part, but although the therapy session scenes were great I wasn't a fan of the non-linear 'teaser' approach they used. Because of the way that trope is often used in television, I was fully expecting the blowup at Jon to be a red herring and for Lois to really damage her relationship with Jordan/Clark/her dad.

It was only when she finally confirmed it was Jon that I was able to cast aside that anxiety.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Sloth Life posted:

Whole thing is still doing a great job of humanizing everyone, to varying degrees.

Still love Jonathan, I'm glad they finally had the "being human in a family of super heroes" talk between him and Lois. His acting watching the tv death was really quite affecting.

He looking at the pictures of Earth-whatever Natalie and calling her "sis" was sweet.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Sloth Life posted:

This episode helped solidify something that was really standing out to me in this series but I hadn't quite put my thumb on it: emotional maturity. The characters make understandable mistakes, and then they acknowledge it and talk to the people around them to work out. It just really hit me how loving seldom you see that in TV shows, where drama is generated by having the characters not communicate like grown-ups. This show has character conflicts without having said characters acting like idiots or irrational assholes, which is great but also makes me wince even more than usual at how many other shows miss that mark.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

The whole "alien sentience" being a part of the X-kryptonite kind of came out of left field for me. Superman said it like it was some understood fact, but it doesn't really fit with what we saw of Tag's experience, and even the soldier in this episode didn't really give off a "kryptonian sleeper agent" vibe. I don't know, maybe I missed something earlier.

Sloth Life posted:

I was one of the few who liked Tulloch on Grimm. I feel vindicated :)

She has a certain tough quality / charisma that works for me, like Caity Lotz on LOT.

Tulloch was excellent on Grimm, and that show really started a steep decline when they decided to completely destroy her character just so they could promote an extremely problematic romance storyline.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

how cornball is this show

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Peyote Panda posted:

This episode helped solidify something that was really standing out to me in this series but I hadn't quite put my thumb on it: emotional maturity. The characters make understandable mistakes, and then they acknowledge it and talk to the people around them to work out. It just really hit me how loving seldom you see that in TV shows, where drama is generated by having the characters not communicate like grown-ups. This show has character conflicts without having said characters acting like idiots or irrational assholes, which is great but also makes me wince even more than usual at how many other shows miss that mark.

Yes, it's great.

ShakeZula posted:

Tulloch was excellent on Grimm, and that show really started a steep decline when they decided to completely destroy her character just so they could promote an extremely problematic romance storyline.

Coincidentally, that show also started out by having characters communicate properly. Hopefully this show does a better job of staying on course.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

Google Butt posted:

how cornball is this show

Define cornball. It's very 'modern' in that it sincerely promotes communication, therapy, mental health, talking through your issues, and treating teenagers as mature and responsible enough to be included in big decisions.

It's corny in that it's quite "family values" with the boy scout superhero and the black hat baddie, but everyone else has shades of grey which is really nice.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

ShakeZula posted:

The whole "alien sentience" being a part of the X-kryptonite kind of came out of left field for me. Superman said it like it was some understood fact, but it doesn't really fit with what we saw of Tag's experience, and even the soldier in this episode didn't really give off a "kryptonian sleeper agent" vibe. I don't know, maybe I missed something earlier.

It was a few episodes back, but yeah there was some mid-fight dialogue a few episodes back between the guy who went missing (but then came back, burnt down the festival stuff) and Superman which implied he had someone else's personality or memories. For some reason I'd already started thinking it was a Kryptonian intelligence, but that may have been unfounded speculation on my part.

I think that guy also had multiple sessions inside the machine which gives you powers, so I figure that and/or his powers being unstable contributed to it happening.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
do we think the kryptonite is maybe a link to souls trapped in the phantom zone?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
What I want to know is does edge realise, or does he think he’s just giving them powers and then they’ll all turn on him?

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

The Lord Bude posted:

What I want to know is does edge realise, or does he think he’s just giving them powers and then they’ll all turn on him?

I doubt he realises. Though I guess it's possible he knows but is being manipulated by one of the XKs (such as assistant woman whose name I forget) until their numbers are sufficient to conquer Earth or whatever.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Edge used the phrasing "resurrect an army". He knows that there's some kind of possession happening here.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I assume Edge is aware of what's going on, but he thinks "Oh, they'll definitely listen to me, I'm like their new king!"

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Tag largely seemed to still be himself. And the leadership program seems to imply that there is some kind of way to make sure that the new Kryptonians are controllable.

Or Leslie Larr is playing Edge. We don't know if the human Leslie became Kryptonian recently and kept her personality and loyalty to Edge, or if she's always been Kryptonian longer and has been manipulating Edge from the start.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
What I want to know is why doesn’t Edge just use the device on himself!? Is he afraid of the side effects or what!?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Vietnamwees posted:

What I want to know is why doesn’t Edge just use the device on himself!? Is he afraid of the side effects or what!?

It seems like there must be two versions of the process. Option 1, replace the persons mind with a past Kryptonian, also comes with powers. Or Option 2, just grant powers to someone. He definitely wouldn't want to replace his own mind. So he would be testing option 2 on people until it is refined and without side effects before using it himself.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

oh jay posted:

Tag largely seemed to still be himself. And the leadership program seems to imply that there is some kind of way to make sure that the new Kryptonians are controllable.

Tag got exposed to XK side-effects after an explosion caused by Jordan. The other Kryptonians end up going through the sort of tube machine, which is where they get their new
personality.

Given the show is pulling in a lot of post-Crisis Superman stuff, I do think Edge could end up being the Eradicator.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
The only person who's manifested the alien consciousness went through multiple treatments in the tube (including one right before Superman fought him, IIRC) so I figure that's why it happened. Small dose of XK = powers of some sort, large/repeated doses = stronger powers plus consciousness being overwritten.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This show is fantastic and Bitsie Tulloch is amazing.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

They are totally bringing the daughter that he potentially left hidden in Mean Superman Earth over to Boy Scout Clark world right?

And Mean Superman shall follow ...

I'm digging it. The expressions on Johnathan Kent's face when Lois eviscerated him out of anger was super super good. Guy has some talent.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Superman and Lois continues to be good. Liked the reveals of everything so far, especially the callback to room 7734/the "hell" dogtag from the pilot or 2nd episode. Could definitely see the alternate universe's Superman getting over-powered and brainwashed by a dozen X-Kryptonited folks.

Jonathan and Jordan continue to out-act 99% of the other CW network shows actors. Sort of wondering if any of the plots or story elements from the 1980's Superboy tv series https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094559/episodes?ref_=tt_eps_sm will be dusted off for the twins.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

quantumfoam posted:

Jonathan and Jordan continue to out-act 99% of the other CW network shows actors. Sort of wondering if any of the plots or story elements from the 1980's Superboy tv series https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094559/episodes?ref_=tt_eps_sm will be dusted off for the twins.

I was interested in Jonathan potentially getting powers, but this episode kinda changed my mind on that. In between the writing and Jon's acting and everything else, these guys are totally competent enough to pull off a "Jonathan Kent as a normal human being" story and actually make it really compelling. I kinda wanna see them explore that now.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

XboxPants posted:

I was interested in Jonathan potentially getting powers, but this episode kinda changed my mind on that. In between the writing and Jon's acting and everything else, these guys are totally competent enough to pull off a "Jonathan Kent as a normal human being" story and actually make it really compelling. I kinda wanna see them explore that now.

I could see the writers getting bored with that after a couple of seasons but yeah I certainly hope they take their time and don't rush to give him powers.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

So, uh, "Edge" is being metaphorical when he says Clark is his brother, right?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

We'll have to wait and see. It may be the case that Edge is The Eradicator. If so, then that's two of the "Supermen" that was part of the Death of Superman thing and we could see Conner join the CWverse canon in some variation..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nice to see Clark doing some investigation stuff too.

Jon lost his cast super fast. Maybe he has super healing :v:

"You didn't really think I'd give people powers without having them myself." I guess that explains that.

howe_sam posted:

Tune in next week to find out!