Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Pegnose Pete posted:

I'll just say that if you have a NAS on your network you can easily just get by with that 8gb card. It's especially helpful for the MegaCD and TurboCD libraries.

I haven’t gotten a chance to look into more yet, but one of the setup videos I saw showed an rclone and gdrive script. And me from a few years ago definitely started building a rom collection on an unlimited Google Drive. If I can get that setup here, I may become too powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

LODGE NORTH posted:

I haven’t gotten a chance to look into more yet, but one of the setup videos I saw showed an rclone and gdrive script. And me from a few years ago definitely started building a rom collection on an unlimited Google Drive. If I can get that setup here, I may become too powerful.
I already had a 4bay NAS so I just had to edit one of the ini scripts and it worked great. GDrive sounds pretty cool too but I always feel sketch about leaving my Perfectly Legal Backup Content Which I Definitely Own on cloud services.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I will say that anecdotally I've seen a few people have problems with network mounted folders with the AO486 core and the top 300 DOS pack (basically just failing to boot to eXoDOS) which they only fixed when they moved them on to a SD card (even a USB storage solution didn't help). Which is unfortunate because that pack is so big a NAS is exactly the type of situation you'd want to use it for.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Nate RFB posted:

The CPS2 beta is closing, which I imagine means we will see a public release in the near future. Jotego is also going to start resuming work on the Sega System 16 betas next week if you were wondering if more was going to come of that.

Wasn't there a Japanese guy working on system 16, before he got like deathly ill and dropped off the planet?

Mister really needs more folks working on stuff, it's like less than dozen people from what I can gather. Maybe the old folks Mame retirement home could let some of them guys out on weekends lol.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
WonderSwan core looking more solid!

https://twitter.com/AzumFpg/status/1398994706294509574

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Does anyone remember that guy from a few years ago maybe who's whole thing was "I review and talk about these expensive things" but then he uploaded a video about how much he loved some 2.4GHz mini keyboard mouse combo he got off Amazon?

Failing that, does anyone have any recommendations for something like that. a 2.4GHz mini keyboard and mouse combo? My keyboard is fine but it's cabled and big considering I just need the arrow keys, enter, and space OCCASIONALLY.

I found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNFY7t8tJLg

Still open to ideas if there's been any improvements in the past...5 years.

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 2, 2021

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

LODGE NORTH posted:

Does anyone remember that guy from a few years ago maybe who's whole thing was "I review and talk about these expensive things" but then he uploaded a video about how much he loved some 2.4GHz mini keyboard mouse combo he got off Amazon?

Failing that, does anyone have any recommendations for something like that. a 2.4GHz mini keyboard and mouse combo? My keyboard is fine but it's cabled and big considering I just need the arrow keys, enter, and space OCCASIONALLY.

I found it:

I've got one like this, dirt cheap stuff. The arrow keys in the top right work, the ok button in the center of the arrows works as an enter key, the home button next to those opens the mister menu. Perfect for quickly doing something, would be terrible for actually typing something long.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283976647576?hash=item421e53c398:g:f9MAAOSwTa5fNC0W

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

LODGE NORTH posted:

I found it:

If you only use it occasionally you could get a media remote with an air mouse and keyboard built into it. I love the MeLe F10 Deluxe so much that I have one for both TVs in my house. It's also nice that it also doubles as a universal remote.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/topapate/status/1400057904888229892

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Thanks for the suggestions on remote/controllers/keyboards. I ended up getting whatever was available on Amazon since I imagine as long as the aforementioned buttons work well, it won’t be all that much of a problem.

However, I come with another question. I wanted to try scanlines and, on the MiSTer Discord, a guy recommended me a guy who makes custom “mode lines” for specific consoles and arcade machines. Through all of my night, whatever I google to understand the difference or what I need to do, I get different answers.

Sometimes they’re called video filters, scanlines, mode lines, or effects. I do not know which one the MiSTer classifies them as or if they’re even considered the same thing. I just know that where I am now, I get all of these popping up when I look up how to get scanlines. The guy who has the custom ones also doesn’t share any actual files. It’s not a code block, but it looks like the same format as the things you set in the MiSTer.ini.

How do I use these? Is there a file and place in that file i plop them into?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There are two primary ways to apply scanlines on a MiSTer: Scandoubler FX (usually set on the Audio & Video tab on the main core menu, goes up % increments) and Scaler Filters (.txt files set on the System menu to the right of the core menu). The difference as far as I understand it that the Scandounler is applied after the image has been scaled and thus is more of a post-processing effect, while the Scaler Filters are applied to the original pixels prior to any scaling.

There are different schools of thought as to which is better (Scandoubler is a bit darker which some prefer and I think with VGA output onto a CRT you might want some % applied), but if you're on a standard HDMI output and display the Scaler Filters seem to be more commonly recommended.

E: Most of the .txt filters should come along for the ride on a regular MiSTer update I believe so you shouldn't have to hunt for them, though I vaguely remember going some of the links above to get the SNES specific ones but I honestly don't remember.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 3, 2021

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

I bit the bullet and ordered one. Just confirming, if I plan to hook this up to my HDTV, then I don't need any IO boards, right? What is the Digital IO board used for?

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

Spoderman posted:

I bit the bullet and ordered one. Just confirming, if I plan to hook this up to my HDTV, then I don't need any IO boards, right? What is the Digital IO board used for?

It's a way to get a fan, digital audio, the second sd connector, and the serial port. If you don't have a need to do SNAC/Blisster/MT-32 pi or any of the audio options and you don't plan to use any cores that need the second SD card then you can skip the io boards.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

The fan is probably the most important part if you don't otherwise care about what the IO board gives you. At the very least, grab one of the tiny heatsinks and stick it to the CPU. Hopefully it doesn't get too hot where you are.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I only got the IO board recently for aesthetic purposes. You only really need the DE-10, SDRAM, a micro usb HUB, a small heat sink and fan.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

You really don’t need a heat sink/fan unless you’re somewhere with no AC and/or you’re trying to run the 486 core. The thermal profile on that Altera is really good, and most cores don’t generate the kind of utilization that requires cooling.

I ran mine for months with no issue un-heatsinked.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 3, 2021

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Thank you, good to know! I got the heatsink + fan and RAM module when I placed my order, so I should be fine on that front. I'll see if I end up using this thing as much as I intend to before springing for any extra accessories.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

I found it:

I bought that exact model from Microcenter many moons ago.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Is there any way to bind the screenshot hotkeys to a button on a controller?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

LODGE NORTH posted:

Is there any way to bind the screenshot hotkeys to a button on a controller?

Nope. Same with Reset; cannot be bound.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLCTV4k7AJ8

This resin panel has been a pain to work with, but my retromodded Space Invaders cocktail project is coming along.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Nope. Same with Reset; cannot be bound.

I guess that brings me to another question.

I have this keypad from a few years ago:

My plan is to use my other wireless keyboard and map Win + PrnScrn to the 0 and Delete key on the mini keypad. Then the arrow keys to their respective number, Enter stays Enter, minus/dash to F12 etc etc. But, naturally, I don't want to use the full wireless keyboard to have these same mappings wherein I press 8 and have it register as me pressing the up arrow key, for example. Would this be possible?

e: This is very much possible. Weird thing is that button remapping gets overwritten, so you have to set them all in one go. Which is fine.

I also ordered this.

It lets me use the buttons on that separate remote to turn my MiSTer on or off. Now, I just need those cases to come back in stock.

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 6, 2021

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Nate RFB posted:

The trajectory I took was "spend hundreds on a Framemeister and modding my retro consoles and also buying some random games on ebay" followed by "putting them in storage when I moved because I got a MiSTer" so if you didn't get as far as I did with step 1 you're coming out ahead really.

Yeah, this is me, too. I have a Framemeister, an RGB-modded AV Famicom (from back when the only way to do that was to get a PlayChoice 10 PPU), several 1CHIP Super Famicoms, an X-Eye with the AV port on it for RGB, an RGB-modded PC Engine Duo RX, an RGB-modded N64, and on, and on, and on. I got my MiSTer at the very end of 2019, which basically replaced like 90% of my consoles. There are a few things I can think of for keeping specific ones (an SFC with my SD2SNES Pro for MSU-1 games), but other than that, I figure I can sell most of them. Might even be able to get a really good price on my AES, too, since it's a crazy low serial number (000013).

However, that's still gonna be a pain, and it would have been way easier to just start with a MiSTer. I wish it had been a thing like ten years ago.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
https://ko-fi.com/s/3b85640bab

Interesting...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

That's one way do it. I'm still rocking the DC Splitter + Power Switch cable from MiSTer Addons.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I'm on the split power cable as well.
I was curious to ask people to post their Mister cable management tips!
I've thought about eventually getting a case, but while they look sleek on their own, once you hook up all the wires they become rather unsightly.

I'm having an AC installed in my game room this week so once that's finished I'm going to use the opportunity to get all the cables sorted behind my desk.

One thing I was thinking of doing was attachingy DAC to the bottom of my desk with Velcro to get it out of sight, and maybe fixing the in line power switch to run along the side of my desk so I don't have to fish for it every time.

My main controllers are a Saturn USB pad and the iBufallo SFC pad, which both have pretty long cables.
I was thinking of draping the excess cables behind my desk, and then using something like this:
I'd put the magnetic part near the controller itself and then set them under my monitor (which is mounted on an arm).
That way I could just pick up a controller and the loose excess cable should be really easy to pull forward.

Otherwise, the giant VGA cable and HDMI cable both go in different directions so that will be a bit hard to organize.
I'll post a pic of the mess shortly.

Edit:

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 8, 2021

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Pegnose Pete posted:

I'm on the split power cable as well.
I was curious to ask people to post their Mister cable management tips!
I've thought about eventually getting a case, but while they look sleek on their own, once you hook up all the wires they become rather unsightly.

I'm having an AC installed in my game room this week so once that's finished I'm going to use the opportunity to get all the cables sorted behind my desk.

One thing I was thinking of doing was attachingy DAC to the bottom of my desk with Velcro to get it out of sight, and maybe fixing the in line power switch to run along the side of my desk so I don't have to fish for it every time.

My main controllers are a Saturn USB pad and the iBufallo SFC pad, which both have pretty long cables.
I was thinking of draping the excess cables behind my desk, and then using something like this:
I'd put the magnetic part near the controller itself and then set them under my monitor (which is mounted on an arm).
That way I could just pick up a controller and the loose excess cable should be really easy to pull forward.

Otherwise, the giant VGA cable and HDMI cable both go in different directions so that will be a bit hard to organize.
I'll post a pic of the mess shortly.

Edit:

Cables have been a problem for me too, kinda. I've been thinking to ditch ethernet and go WiFi since there's no reason for me not to -- at least not now. That would put all my cables on one side. Then, with the USB Hub add-on, I have three things plugged in (BT adapter, 2.4GHz for keyboard, MicroUSB for mini keypad) out of the eight I get additionally and I could pop the wired one on the one port on that side as well, then pop the dongles/adapters on the back side.

Also, I found out today that I don't need to do anything complicated to get my MiSTer to output to my PVM and monitor perfectly, just make ypbpr=0 to 1 and flip the SOG switch.

If only me then could see me now.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Your PVM should have RGB/Component selectors on the front too, then I don't think you would have to set that ypbpr and you could get "full" colour.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

It's a 14L5, so all I've got is a set of BVM connectors in the back, but I opted for the Extron Crosspoint and just use component everywhere to cut the slack out.

But hmm, if I can use component and not have to set ypbpr, then I gotta try that out.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

It's a 14L5, so all I've got is a set of BVM connectors in the back, but I opted for the Extron Crosspoint and just use component everywhere to cut the slack out.

But hmm, if I can use component and not have to set ypbpr, then I gotta try that out.

On that model, you can get BNC to RCA adapters and use component cables as per normal. I do this with my 14L5 on an BKM-129X expansion card for my consoles that use it while inputs on the set itself I use for BNC proper.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I know this isn't the thread for it, but drat that is a sweet set up. China are making metal cases for mister now, have a look on Aliexpress. They are designed for the analogue output board with a fan hole.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

On that model, you can get BNC to RCA adapters and use component cables as per normal. I do this with my 14L5 on an BKM-129X expansion card for my consoles that use it while inputs on the set itself I use for BNC proper.

Yeah, I'm not sure why I said BVM, ha. A lot of three-letter acronyms.

But yeah, BNC in the back with an RCA adapter going into the Extron Crosspoint 8x4 with a whole slew of BNC to RCA adapters on any and everything. I have some Phoenix to RCA adapters too, so it's all good for the dedicated consoles, but I have my Mister audio coming directly out of the computer speakers for now since the area is all the same. Might mess with it some more a little bit later.

dishwasherlove posted:

I know this isn't the thread for it, but drat that is a sweet set up. China are making metal cases for mister now, have a look on Aliexpress. They are designed for the analogue output board with a fan hole.

I might have to check these out - potentially. The current estimate for MisterAddons' case to return is still listed as June and his are just *so good looking*

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Dang the Bitfunx store is selling kits with all the add ons (minus the DE 10). If QC is good that could be a really easy option for non USA/EU people.
I feel like I recognize the Bitfunx name, but can't rember from where.
The case by itself is like 4400 yen with free shipping to Japan, that's pretty tempting.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Pegnose Pete posted:

Dang the Bitfunx store is selling kits with all the add ons (minus the DE 10). If QC is good that could be a really easy option for non USA/EU people.
I feel like I recognize the Bitfunx name, but can't rember from where.
The case by itself is like 4400 yen with free shipping to Japan, that's pretty tempting.

I can’t speak for the MiSTer parts. But they’re known in the retro community for stealing designs from other makers and using substandard or outright wrong parts.

https://twitter.com/WillConsole/status/1400555146615066624

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

I might have to check these out - potentially. The current estimate for MisterAddons' case to return is still listed as June and his are just *so good looking*

Be careful, all the ones I found use the "new" USB hub, which apparently is powered by a USB-A connection rather than the barrel connector mine uses.

(Note that I'm unsure whether "new" means a genuine new design that the community uses or a proprietary one they found was cheaper to manufacture as per the above posts)

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Just wanna say I got the iBuffalo SFC pad and it rules. I've never tried an 8BitDo Snes pad because I always heard mixed things about the dpad, but no complaints so far with the iBuffalo. The dpad feels so gosh darn nice coming from using 25-30 year old OEM pads recently.

I've also got the USB Saturn pad from Retrobit and it's really nice too, I feel like I've got my bases covered with these two controllers. I had the Hori Fighting Commander but didn't really like the dpad, so that controller will get left at my office now I think.

I've also got Bluetooth for the DS4 in case PS1 analog/Saturn 3D controller games are ever a thing on mister.
Good times.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pegnose Pete posted:

Just wanna say I got the iBuffalo SFC pad and it rules. I've never tried an 8BitDo Snes pad because I always heard mixed things about the dpad, but no complaints so far with the iBuffalo. The dpad feels so gosh darn nice coming from using 25-30 year old OEM pads recently.

I've also got the USB Saturn pad from Retrobit and it's really nice too, I feel like I've got my bases covered with these two controllers. I had the Hori Fighting Commander but didn't really like the dpad, so that controller will get left at my office now I think.

I've also got Bluetooth for the DS4 in case PS1 analog/Saturn 3D controller games are ever a thing on mister.
Good times.

The buffalo pad is supposed to have the lowest input lag of any usb controller. It's pretty nice. And cheap.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Waltzing Along posted:

The buffalo pad is supposed to have the lowest input lag of any usb controller. It's pretty nice. And cheap.

Yeah I went by the MiSTer Add-ons spreadsheet when choosing my controllers, the Saturn pad and Fighting Commander aren't shabby either. definitely feels flawless especially on a CRT.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

MiSTer Addons aluminum cases coming back in stock next week:

https://twitter.com/MisterAddons/status/1402981480809197573

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Pegnose Pete posted:

Good times.

Did you get the BSGP815GY? (It's like $32 on Amazon)

Or the one the spreadsheet links directly:
https://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-iBuffalo-Classic-USB-Gamepad/dp/B002B9XB0E ???

Because on that page, Amazon says "hey, here's a link to the newer version of this item... and points to the BSGP815GY

Just checking before I order, because I can't find a SNES blissbox cable adapter to save my life and I'm sick of using a 360 controller.