Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you're on Apple One Premier ($25) and definitely want everything it offers, it still comes out ahead of buying everything.

Apple Music: Free (Regular $4.99 student, $9.99 individual, $14.99 family)
Apple Arcade: Free (Regular $4.99 for a family)
Apple TV+: $4.99 (First year free if you buy a device, family share
iCloud 2TB: $9.99 (Family share)
Apple News+: $9.99 (Family share
Apple Fitness+: $9.99 (Family share)

I might switch to it once my shoulder heals and I can use Fitness+ again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

sleepwalkers posted:

Apple One bundles are doubly tough to justify getting a year of Arcade and Music for free.

Yeah totally. I’m not necessarily comparing , I get it , but hey, always worth checking to see if you get an extra discount.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
This is probably a long shot, but does anyone know if someone sells something similar to the Twelve South Surface Pad but just the back, and preferably clear?

https://www.twelvesouth.com/products/surfacepad-for-iphone

Buddy of mine likes to use his iPhone 12 caseless but is bothered by the wobbly back. Something like what I mentioned would be good to alleviate that problem.

lost my retainer
Oct 28, 2002

Blow me
Man I just upgraded from my old 7 with a failing battery to a 12 and I'm in love.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I want to trade in my iPhone 11 128gb (Verizon) for a 256gb SE. I hate how stupidly big this phone is. I've developed chronic hand pains from straining to reach poo poo on this loving brick--and I have big hands! It's too heavy for my car's phone holder and doesn't fit in my pockets. Bullshit. Grrrrr.

Who's got the best trade-in deal for this, apple? I purchased the phone in full from their website last year.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Head Bee Guy posted:

I want to trade in my iPhone 11 128gb (Verizon) for a 256gb SE. I hate how stupidly big this phone is. I've developed chronic hand pains from straining to reach poo poo on this loving brick--and I have big hands! It's too heavy for my car's phone holder and doesn't fit in my pockets. Bullshit. Grrrrr.

Who's got the best trade-in deal for this, apple? I purchased the phone in full from their website last year.

Check swappa.com

You definitely get more from that site. I’ve sold and bought quite a few things and it’s safe and great.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Head Bee Guy posted:

You should consider a 12 mini, then you'd be getting an upgrade at least.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I feel like we're getting into "only buy an iphone if you really need one right now" territory because the specs for this September are starting to leak. The actual launch is still four months away which sucks, but I'd hate buying something from the current lineup right now and then have the price drop on it by a fifth on October 1.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I strongly recommend trying a Popsocket on a big phone first before ditching it for a small one. It really makes all the difference

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Head Bee Guy posted:

Call Verizon and see if they have a retention deal for you. It’s unlikely because you have a more recent phone, but I’ve seen it. They’ve been offering a lot of customers an iPhone SE $300 off (you get the credit over 24 months).

Edit: 12 Mini is a good idea. Just FYI I think Verizon is still offering $412 trade in towards it, although it may depend on your plan (I’m off a few days so I haven’t checked the updated promos for June).

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 1, 2021

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Head Bee Guy posted:

New SE is coming out next year, you should wait.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ojjeorago posted:

New SE is coming out next year, you should wait.

Really? Source?

edit: Any rumors regarding hardware are just that. Rumors. The last SE went about 4 years between refreshes, so a 2 year refresh is a little hard to believe. They could drop a new SE today, tomorrow, or 4 years from now.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I believe the joke is that even if it was confirmed to be coming out next year, it’d still be folly to wait since the 11 is causing op physical pain :v:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The only way they do a new SE soon is if they re brand the 12 mini. 12 mini a great phone but is a super slow seller , there’s def a lot of extra inventory so they’ve been doing promos to push out extra Mini inventory.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

The only way they do a new SE soon is if they re brand the 12 mini. 12 mini a great phone but is a super slow seller , there’s def a lot of extra inventory so they’ve been doing promos to push out extra Mini inventory.
There's a rumor from a while back about a full screen SE, but with Touch ID (on the lock button like iPad Air?) instead of Face ID and the whole notch. Haven't heard much about that in a while...but there was a new full screen iPod touch rumor that popped up recently. That thing with a cellular radio seems like it'd fit the old SE rumor.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So I created a login with the 'sign in with apple' feature inside an app on my iPhone. I've been able to sign in repeatedly using the 'sign in with apple' button in this app but now I've deleted the app is there anyway to get this login so I can sign in on another iOS device that's not mine? I checked my apple password manager and its not there. Not in keychain either. I'm pretty sure I also used the 'hide my email' feature. Does apple have a way to retrieve these logins?

e: oh it seems like there is no password and thus I cannot sign into these apps/websites on devices that I'm also not signed into Apple with. Hmm bummer.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 2, 2021

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

So I created a login with the 'sign in with apple' feature inside an app on my iPhone. I've been able to sign in repeatedly using the 'sign in with apple' button in this app but now I've deleted the app is there anyway to get this login so I can sign in on another iOS device that's not mine? I checked my apple password manager and its not there. Not in keychain either. I'm pretty sure I also used the 'hide my email' feature. Does apple have a way to retrieve these logins?

e: oh it seems like there is no password and thus I cannot sign into these apps/websites on devices that I'm also not signed into Apple with. Hmm bummer.

Yeah, you are essentially at the mercy of the app as to whether it provides a means of setting a real password on the account or not. Some apps really put a lot of effort into implementing Sign In With Apple, while others did the bare-rear end minimum necessary to fulfill the requirement to pass app review.

If you go to Settings > Apple ID > Password & Security you can see the app there and what the “fake” email address is.

Depending on the app/website, sometimes you can force a password reset using that email and use that to set a password when one wasn’t assigned in the first place.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
Does anyone else have iMessage issues after every iOS update? My phone number delinks from my devices every time and I have to manually readd it - end up missing texts from people because of this.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Yeah, this is why I never use the sign in with Apple (or google, or facebook, or whatever) option. I just create my own user/pass and drop them into 1Password for this reason alone.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

UncleGuito posted:

Does anyone else have iMessage issues after every iOS update? My phone number delinks from my devices every time and I have to manually readd it - end up missing texts from people because of this.

Is it a personal device or a work managed one? It happens to my wife's work iPhone and I always have to do the imessage reset to fix it

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Oh great, yet another day that I’ve woken up to an uncharged phone because MagSafe decided to stop working. This is getting more and more common and happens maybe once every two weeks.

E: When I put it on the puck I saw the screen light up with the MagSafe indicator so I know it “attached” before I went to bed.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jun 3, 2021

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Use a better made 3rd party wireless charger

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

sourdough posted:

It's a fault in the phone isn't it? You have to reboot it.

edit: oh you mean a non-magsafe one?
Anyways at a certain point you should stop relying on it and just plug it in.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Charles posted:

It's a fault in the phone isn't it? You have to reboot it.

edit: oh you mean a non-magsafe one?
Anyways at a certain point you should stop relying on it and just plug it in.
I haven't had a problem with my third party ones...well actually the one in my car seemed to be flakey sometimes when connected to 15W USB-C power*. Switched to USB-A (for other reasons) and it's been consistently fine since then.

*no clue what it was actually charging at, but it showed the MagSafe ring charging animation.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

sourdough posted:

I’m using an official Apple MagSafe charger.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m using an official Apple MagSafe charger.

Yeah they're saying that's the problem.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I thought they were suggesting I was using a cheap AliExpress knockoff.

If the official MagSafe puck is having issues then that’s an Apple problem, not a “use a better puck” problem.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Wireless charging isn't wireless until I can hold my phone without a wire coming off of it charging.

What y'all have right now is a $30 alternative to a $5 2m/6ft charge cable

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Laserface posted:

Wireless charging isn't wireless until I can hold my phone without a wire coming off of it charging.

It's also less power efficient, having to change AC -> DC in the initial power brick, then DC -> AC in wireless charging coil, then AC -> DC in the charge controller in the phone.

It's requires about 20-30% more power to charge the phone than just plugging it in.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'll gladly spend $30 to pretend I'm cool on an internet comedy forum because I'm not physically plugging my phone in to charge. :c00l:

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I like my MagSafe charge adapter and never have the problem described by OP.

Get rekt.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Has anyone had their adblock (1blocer specifically) completely fail? For a month now I’ve been getting youtube ads after years of not seeing those on my phone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Youtube changed something at some point in the last month that broke ad blocking. I think most of the ad blocks have since put out an update to deal with it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

goblin week posted:

Has anyone had their adblock (1blocer specifically) completely fail? For a month now I’ve been getting youtube ads after years of not seeing those on my phone.

If you're not seeing more ads elsewhere that's just Youtube circumventing ad-blocking tools. They do it constantly.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Laserface posted:

This, also MagSafe chargers are even more dumb because they remove the ONE benefit of a charging pad, and that is being able to place the phone on it or remove it with one hand.

coke
Jul 12, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsFHKCcV2rg

maybe this will work with wireless charging on the iphones

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Laserface posted:

I'm using it to move away from Lightning :eng101: (my 3rd party ones all have a USB-C port)

xzzy posted:

Youtube changed something at some point in the last month that broke ad blocking. I think most of the ad blocks have since put out an update to deal with it.
Yeah it's a cat and mouse thing that YouTube has been winning lately unfortunately.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

This, also MagSafe chargers are even more dumb because they remove the ONE benefit of a charging pad, and that is being able to place the phone on it or remove it with one hand.
It's easy to flick the magnet off one handed, or get a pad with less magnetism/more weight, or stick the pad on the surface.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The shortcut posted here works to disable YouTube ads temporarily (until you close the tab or it clears out of memory)

https://adguard.com/en/blog/how-to-add-a-shortcut-to-block-youtube-ads.html

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Yeah just uhh, be careful with wireless chargers in general I guess, otherwise you’ll end up like my roommate: prying the melted plastic case of his AirPods Pro off the Belkin charger he bought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Not charging related buy kind of the opposite (?); I'm a dumbass and left my airpods in my pocket and washed the pants those were in. I thought I was right hosed and going to have to purchase a new pair but nope, dried them out and they work fine.

thanks apple.

thapple.