Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Eat My Fuc posted:

Dave and Bryan both thought Ogogo wasn’t ready and that he didn’t have the basics down. I think his gimmick sucks but thought he looked pretty okay overall so I don’t know why they were so down on it.

This baffled me about the B&V show as well. They were going on about how Ogogo didn't look special while chat is spamming "what are you talking about".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I kind of agree with them, thought Ogogo looked green and the match should have had half the time it was given

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Eat My Fuc posted:

Dave and Bryan both thought Ogogo wasn’t ready and that he didn’t have the basics down. I think his gimmick sucks but thought he looked pretty okay overall so I don’t know why they were so down on it.

WWE pays them to be negative about AEW but AEW is so good that it's hard to be negative so they have to make up weird little things like that.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Eat My Fuc posted:

Ogogo had a lot of cool power moves, and great strikes.

Dave is an old fart, and Bryan lost his most important match via scoop slam into a kiddie pool.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

WWE pays them to be negative about AEW but AEW is so good that it's hard to be negative so they have to make up weird little things like that.

Good to read the truth every once in a while

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think it's likely they're aware the match under-delivered, but they can't blame Cody (despite a lot of it being down to his missteps in the build and over-relying on him being mega-over to paper over the cracks) so they have to find something else to point to.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
ogogo should have only punched he has a medal from Punching. Reversing a figure four? No, should have been a jab to the bridge of the nose

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MotU posted:

ogogo should have only punched he has a medal from Punching. Reversing a figure four? No, should have been a jab to the bridge of the nose

he punched cody in order to facilitate reversing the figure 4

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Alaois posted:

he punched cody in order to facilitate reversing the figure 4

yes but he shouldnt have needed to reverse it, punch should have just broke it but this isnt podcast discussion really

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Dave and Bryan spent way more time being negative about the Cody/Ogogo match than they would a much more boring WWE match.

But then again, I can't really blame them when so much of WWE is homogenous poo poo that you don't have a lot to talk about because of it.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

aew is held to a much higher standard than wwe, rightfully so IMO, but they also have shown that they listen to criticism so it makes more sense to devote more time than one would to criticizing wwe. imo

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Ogogo has a couple decent moves but that match was pretty nothing, and he looked kind of lost more than a couple times. The match should have been like 7 minutes.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

also more punching. work the body!

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
frog splash should have been a shooting star punch

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
just doing some moves is the least difficult part of wrestling for anyone with actual athletic ability. non-wrestling athletes have been doing it for like 7 decades. And Ogogo was extremely mediocre at all the other metrics of pro wrestling that are actually important. dave and bryan are right

SexMetalBarbie
Jun 1, 2021

by Shine

yea ok posted:

aew is held to a much higher standard than wwe, rightfully so IMO, but they also have shown that they listen to criticism so it makes more sense to devote more time than one would to criticizing wwe. imo

AEW is like fine art, or lesser known music. they're in this to make good wrestling, not just money. critiquing WWE is like devoting time to critiquing the art of a PBS kids cartoon. AEW is like a masterful Indy movie that more people will recognize in time.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Lol

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Well said

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Arthur is #ALLELITE

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I wish WWE was like PBS i'd love to say their take on the recent Ken Burns Hemingway Documentary

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I was more confused by their criticism of Shida-Britt

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

El Generico posted:

Well, took me three weeks instead of one this time, but oh well! I did it!

Bryan and Vinny vs. Nitro and Russo - WCW Review with Video - Nov 1st, 1999

This was my favorite one yet. Thank you for your efforts.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Penguin Patrol posted:

This was my favorite one yet. Thank you for your efforts.

Thanks! Glad people are enjoying it. Oh, it did go up in HD, this time, too. Weird!

I don't know that AEW is like an artsy indie movie, I think it's more like an indie action movie, significantly smarter than what Hollywood is offering, but not too self-serious, and definitely better at knowing what the audience wants and delivering it with intensity.

Eat My Fuc posted:

I think this is less about his in-ring and more about how well he's been accepted by the audience, if I read it right listening to it. I heard it as "him beating Cody will mean more when the crowd sees him as a big enough deal that they really want it".

El Generico fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 1, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The loving Mummy sound on Filthy Four Daily :lol:

Bryan and Tom basically spend the next 5 minutes laughing and unable to really formulate thoughts :allears:

SexMetalBarbie
Jun 1, 2021

by Shine

Jerusalem posted:

Bryan and Tom basically spend the next 5 minutes laughing and unable to really formulate thoughts :allears:

AAAAAUGGGHHHHH

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Someone needs to replace the noise with Rick Boogs' "BOOOOGS" and send it to them.

Halverine
May 26, 2004

Endsay ookhay
Is the Semp suspension a work? Or is it a legit thing with Sports Byline or the FCC or something? It was like a month or two ago that Don Callis was on the show and Mike was said to be suspended and not on that show but I figured that was more about what Mike has said about Callis on the show in the past which Bryan even edited out of at least one episode.

SexMetalBarbie
Jun 1, 2021

by Shine

Halverine posted:

Is the Semp suspension a work? Or is it a legit thing with Sports Byline or the FCC or something? It was like a month or two ago that Don Callis was on the show and Mike was said to be suspended and not on that show but I figured that was more about what Mike has said about Callis on the show in the past which Bryan even edited out of at least one episode.

it sounded to me like Alvarez was being way too jokey about it for it to be real or at least for it to be anything serious.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/ReneePaquette/status/1399880074891984901

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

lol thats gonna be pretty good

SexMetalBarbie
Jun 1, 2021

by Shine
2 hours and 7 minutes from this post at 11:30pm EST Bryan and Vinny and Craig and Granny are streaming live on twitch and on YouTube for subscribers a celebration of Vinny returning to the studio Bryan is going to drink they're going to review TNA impacts 2005 Spike TV debut. I'm pretty excited for it, I'll be watching live.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

El Generico posted:

Well, took me three weeks instead of one this time, but oh well! I did it!

Bryan and Vinny vs. Nitro and Russo - WCW Review with Video - Nov 1st, 1999

Was harder to have motivation for this one. Lance Storm is on this episode, for all two or three times he talks, I think he might've changed the vibe in the room, at least at first, and it took longer for the guys to get more into their shenanigans. There also wasn't so much opportunity for visual gags and creative editing stuff in this one. More of a straightforward review. Still, plenty of goofy stuff in this episode.

There's a moment in this where Bret says "SCREW YOU SCOTT" and it's just so Canadian, I couldn't explain why but his accent, what he's saying, it's perfect :canada:

Includes: A really bad Vince impression, a woman kidnapped and put in a shark cage, a Something On a Pole match, a seriously weird production botch, Lex Luger hamming it up, Sid falling for a terrible disguise, superfluous chains, a random turn, Vince Russo mocking a heartfelt plea, seduction and making out in the ring, Bret Hart being very Canadian, a truly awful tournament, Norman Smiley in a catcher's outfit, Goldberg on the set of Ready 2 Rumble, the Nitro Girls feuding with each other... you know, I just realized, when Kimberly said she had more important things to do than be in the Nitro Girls, she meant she was gonna hit David Flair with a car I guess. Bigger and better things!

The video on Dailymotion: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x81n45u
I will put it up on Youtube later but it'll be slideshowy so I won't bother posting it here.

Probably still won't process into HD but it's not like Nitro was in HD in the first place.

Legit, Vinny noting that The Cat vs. Lash LeReux was the only first round match with an actual finish is the most wrestling has made me laugh in a long time.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

I was laughing so hard I was crying and I got a tummy ache. The setup works so well with the punchline!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

El Generico posted:

Thanks! Glad people are enjoying it. Oh, it did go up in HD, this time, too. Weird!

I don't know that AEW is like an artsy indie movie, I think it's more like an indie action movie, significantly smarter than what Hollywood is offering, but not too self-serious, and definitely better at knowing what the audience wants and delivering it with intensity.
I think this is less about his in-ring and more about how well he's been accepted by the audience, if I read it right listening to it. I heard it as "him beating Cody will mean more when the crowd sees him as a big enough deal that they really want it".

If you're taking recommendations for Worst Nitro's ever

https://www.f4wonline.com/bryan-and-vinny-show/bvc-retro-raw-and-nitro-19-years-ago-week-269641
https://www.f4wonline.com/bryan-and-vinny-show/bvc-retro-raw-and-nitro-19-years-ago-week-271116

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Lid posted:

If you're taking recommendations for Worst Nitro's ever

I'm going through Russo's run chronologically, but the next episode is gonna be that first link, so... it's gonna be a good ep, I think.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
Retro B&V indeed sounds like poo poo!

I look forward to listening to the rest.

Halverine
May 26, 2004

Endsay ookhay
Juts starting watching the Twitch video, I'm so stoked for this. In September of 2019 I started downloading and listening to all the old shows since the beginning in 2005. After trying to listen to all of the shows I eventually had to trim it down to only the Dave shows, B&V and F4W with either a regular guest like Lance, Buddy or Todd Martin or an especially entertaining sometimes guest like Mikey Whipwreck or Percy Pringle. I'm now up to June 2010 and still am loving it, only another 10 years or so of shows to go!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Aw, Marty and Sarah Love... Each Other

https://twitter.com/sarahjoyshockey/status/1399547157175222278

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

This is actually really heartwarming. Listening to their show is already like going to dinner at their house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah it's my favourite wrestling podcast by a wide margin. It's sweet when wrestling brings cool people together.