Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

people who complain about 'soy face' can also be added to the "terminally online' group

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

muscles like this! posted:

Lol, in her new Patreon video Jenny says that her Barbie movie review video is shaping up to be 3 hours long.

the series that brought women to the front line...

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Booky posted:

that mcelroy vids probably one of those videos that talks about parasocial, pedestal/hatedom issues in fandoms, which sounds pretty neat but also i don't want to watch 2 hours of something im apathetic towards :v:

She goes into parasocial relationships a bit, to define it, explain how they intentionally and unintentionally fed it, and how it turned around on them because every little misstep was either like a severe betrayal by a close friend to their audience, or something that would need to be aggressively defended forever because they could do no wrong. Then most of it is a timeline, primarily focusing on summarizing the ups and downs of their podcasts, primarily The Adventure Zone.

It's worth listening to, if only for the breakdown of bingus, the most popular character in Travis' maligned Graduation TAZ game: A hairless catfolk character who was part vampire and part angel, and also made up entirely by a TAZ shitpost/mock subreddit].

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

muscles like this! posted:

Lol, in her new Patreon video Jenny says that her Barbie movie review video is shaping up to be 3 hours long.
good

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Todd in the Shadows covers late late 90's hit "Bitch" by Meredith Brooks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvg_Nz4qW4Y

And now? Don't visit her twitter

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

fwiw i don't really think the mcelroys intend to fuel parasocial relationships, except for travis who occasionally will flail about for ally points. griffin hasn't been on twitter for like 3 years now, they don't run their facebook community, and their podcasts just get shared through subscription feeds, and they obviously haven't done a live show in a year and a half. they're all parents (each with multiple children) and maintain a pretty hands off relationship because they're just too busy with their own families

they went from doing a ton of video content via polygon and their own channel to only releasing a single monster factory video once every... well i want to say month but at this point I think it's been 3-4 months since the previous MF video. the maxfundrive videos are like the most video content they'd done in... well since the previous maxfundrive i guess

anyway i only have room in my brain for one podcast and right now it's hey riddle riddle. sorry brothers

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 2, 2021

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Bug Squash posted:

Watching the fluid level in Sarah Z's video sloshing around is the most high tension experience of recent times. :stare:

I exclusively watch her videos as background fodder for this reason, haha. Having to watch that cup come dangerously close to spilling is a fastlane trip to hypertension street for me.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Sorting Algorithms posted:

For some reason Jamie Faith keeps promoting the Twitch streams done by the mod of this subforum even though that's not what this thread is about and "I'm sure One Piece is more popular than Friends" was one of her bon mots from the latest stream.

Huge :lol: at this turning out to be a Guy Mann/Sleeveless alt :discourse:

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 2, 2021

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

lmbo guy mann never changes.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

God, so weird. Who would spend $10 on sharing such an inane thought?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Ariong posted:

God, so weird. Who would spend $10 on sharing such an inane thought?

Apparently it was to plugged their youtube channel they posted back here lol

Sorting Algorithms posted:

There's nothing in the OP about self-promotion and Kim Justice has been posting their own videos without issue so I'm going to plug my newest video because as a new baby YouTuber it sucks sitting on such an amazing find and not having an audience to really share it with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK7eCtJLHOM

It's the longest video I've done by far and it was definitely a learning experience but I had to do it because Imari Stevenson belongs in the internet canon of weird self-indulgent filmmakers.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I kind of dig this running theme of reregg'ed weirdos stopping by this thread, and firing off a gun into the ceiling a few times before being tackled to the ground by the local security guards.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Nuns with Guns posted:

I kind of dig this running theme of reregg'ed weirdos stopping by this thread, and firing off a gun into the ceiling a few times before being tackled to the ground by the local security guards.

This is like, the 3rd time its happened. First BravestoftheLamps, then LordofBooty/WeedLordGoku, now sleeveless. (am I forgetting anyone? lol) Even people who post in this thread hate this thread lmao so why do they keep coming back?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
wait did BotL rereg or did they just have weird hangers-on

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

DoctorWhat posted:

wait did BotL rereg or did they just have weird hangers-on

Yes this poster here was permabanned for being Botls rereg lol

ndor posted:

I don't see any indication that happens. The ending only has Americans and Soviet entering a military alliance.

The very last page implies that the US government is actively censoring the press to prevent any criticism of this accord. Which sounds less like peace and more like a state of war.

It reminds me of the permanent state of emergencies that characterize post-9/11 politics. The whole alien invasion thing will just legitimize old and new tyranny. Heck, Vietnam is still gonna be the illegally occupied 51st state.

When you keep that in mind, it's clear that Ozymandias hasn't ended war, he's just changed it. And Rorschach doesn't believe in "Veidt's new utopia," because Veidt is a delusional New Age megalomaniac.
Am I bad for expecting him to make an apology video for this?

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 2, 2021

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

For the record of people legit have an issue with Jamie faith posting my stream here I'll ask her to stop

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Okay,

I see no problem with people self-promoting here, and I certainly see no problem with Jamie promoting the streams/videos of someone whose work she enjoys.

I think sleeveless or whoever is just a weirdo with more money than sense and isn't worth listening to or even getting mad at.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wait sleeveless was BOTL? Hah

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
no, sleeveless and botl are different people

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Junpei Hyde posted:

For the record of people legit have an issue with Jamie faith posting my stream here I'll ask her to stop

You're an internet personality, goon or not, and we've certainly had other people promote their own content, and I'm pretty sure we've had posters pop in talking about those goon's content on occasion. I see nothing wrong with another person posting your stuff if you're not a huge fan of promoting your own stream here for one reason or another.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Wait sleeveless was BOTL? Hah

how does internet telephone happen 3 posts after the information is conveyed

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's content, it's being created, it's online, I think it's fine

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Srice posted:

Nah there are also plenty of folks who don't even give a dang about the stuff they produce that want to see them get canceled.
I always see people wanting them crushed because they want the facade of them being folksy wholesome brothers to fall because they are actually really well off/rich which means they are big fakes

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

theres definitely like two strains of hating the mcelroys. from a distance a lot of their poo poo is kinda annoying but things like bean dad and the harry styles tweets being controversial only really makes sense if you hold them to really high standards

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Junpei Hyde posted:

I only suggested making a streaming thread because tbh it's nice to have long things playing in the background when cleaning or baking or similar stuff where I can't look at the video. So a thread that compiles bearable streamers in one place would be nice to avoid the trouble of putting waders on and having to sift through all the muck myself. More focused & edited videos are nice for when I can give things more attention.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

When you think about it, isn’t everyone in this thread an internet personality?

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Nuebot posted:

The video touches on both of these things and they seem to largely be their biggest internet crimes that aren't just people being way too, too attached to their favorite podcast hosts and losing their minds when they do something stupid or weird.

I feel like people on the internet and social media are so used to internet celebrities turning out to be bigots or sex offenders and people are ready to jump ship at the slightest tilt. I remember when Griffin talked about the allegations against Nick Robinson and I thought his condemnation was one of the best written things I've seen out of entertainers. Also people tend to like to add a whole list of things to justify their dislike of someone instead of just 'I don't think they're funny or entertaining'. Everyone that annoys you needs to crash and burn so you never hear about them again. Travis is an idiot but he's many times more tolerable and tolerant than say someone like TheQuartering or MovieBob.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ariong posted:

When you think about it, isn’t everyone in this thread an internet personality?
reported for unfounded accusations.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
travis' worst sin is that he just seems a little insecure about himself.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I feel like people on the internet and social media are so used to internet celebrities turning out to be bigots or sex offenders and people are ready to jump ship at the slightest tilt. I remember when Griffin talked about the allegations against Nick Robinson and I thought his condemnation was one of the best written things I've seen out of entertainers. Also people tend to like to add a whole list of things to justify their dislike of someone instead of just 'I don't think they're funny or entertaining'. Everyone that annoys you needs to crash and burn so you never hear about them again. Travis is an idiot but he's many times more tolerable and tolerant than say someone like TheQuartering or MovieBob.
Another factor is twitter is a hellsite so if you are not interested in the McElroys but fit in their demographics you are going to hear about them a lot and probably hate them out of spite. I've seen the same thing with people who hate Marvel movies because they have to hear about them all the time on twitter

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I think that if we want to talk about Twitch stuff it should probably get its own thread. It's a pretty different ballpark from written and produced content, but it doesn't have a dedicated discussion thread anywhere on the forums as of yet. Could be a fun topic, I think!

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I thought the big thing was the McElroy brothers would always have the people they collaborated with on stuff turn out to be bad people, which people would think transfers to them automatically.

People like Bean Dad and Nick Robinson who they do distance themselves from right after, but listening to old stuff from them can be awkward because of that

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I have to admit to this being the first Sarah video I started dozing off to about halfway in.

Woke up in time to tick "Most of the fanbase was teenagers and young adults" off the bingo card, though.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
honestly i do miss the days (10 years ago almost) when the brothers would talk about period ghosts and impregnating seaman

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Junpei Hyde posted:

I don't like your content nor her posts, but my actual complaint is with the format. Twitch streams are terrible if you want to convey a topic like a video essay, why not make a youtube channel and upload an edited version of that stream? Bonus points for cross-channel promotion synergy!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The Macaron Bros were responsible for one of my favorite podcast bits ever with I cook an egg with a spoon amelie so I side against Twitter on this one as with many other things

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dias posted:

The Macaron Bros were responsible for one of my favorite podcast bits ever with I cook an egg with a spoon amelie so I side against Twitter on this one as with many other things

have you considered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UoR1dUm9dE

e: lmao speak of the devil that piece of poo poo nick robinson is in the comments section

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
drat, the Charmed reboot has gotten so bad, Allison Pregler can't even watch it to make fun of it anymore.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Maniax Channel, a pretty small channel, has a pretty interesting series about Japanese TCGs. Early Yugioh has an interesting history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

God, CW shows left and right are just turning out to be irredeemable trash this year, like absolute irredeemable trash, where as before they were at least kind of awful fun to watch. At this point the only stuff worth watching on it any more is Legends of Tomorrow for its no fucks insanity and Superman and Lois because that show is legitimately good apparently.