Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Warden posted:

I think I recall Frieren giving Fern a lecture at some point about never getting complacent and telling Fern the exact number of mages who she recognized as having been superior to her.

It was back when Frieren was teaching Fern about hiding her magic and she told her that mana/raw power wasn't the end all be all of magic and the number of mages that beat her despite having significantly less mana.
However, we all know the way to beat Frieren is just to throw a random spell book into a volcano and watch her follow it like Gollum after the ring.

Edit:
What's the over under on Foeren getting eaten by a mimic? Ah well, beaten by Tarezax

The junk collector fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
They're going to run away, passing by a chest, and when they turn around to see if she's still pursuing all they see is two feet sticking out of a mimic

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Frieran chasing that 1%...wait she's a gacha addict isn't she

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 50

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Soon it will be time for the ultimate showdown.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

Soon it will be time for the ultimate showdown.

But we've already seen Frieran run into a mimic this dungeon.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Obviously they just need to trap doppel Frieran with a mimic

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Hype for Frieren vs. Shadow Frieren.
Calling it now: Fern defeats clone Frieren

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Mountaineer posted:

Hype for Frieren vs. Shadow Frieren.
Calling it now: Fern defeats clone Frieren

by trapping her in a mimic

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
All the discussion in the last couple chapters about mimics seems like a chekov's gun to me, at this rate they can't not defeat this clone without a mimic I feel like.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i put equal odds on a spectacular magic duel and a mimic insta-kill.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Fern is going to bully it into submission using her years of knowledge.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ethiser posted:

Fern is going to bully it into submission using her years of knowledge.

Just throw a mimic into the room. Problem solved

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The clone will know that it'll learn more stuff just chilling with Frieren. They'll fight over a grimoire thirty chapters later. Fern defeats both.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

The mimic serves as a distraction while the clone ponders the chances for a rare drop.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

They roll a couple bottles of wine in and wait 20 minutes for the clone to defeat itself.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The clone will know that it'll learn more stuff just chilling with Frieren. They'll fight over a grimoire thirty chapters later. Fern defeats both.

She will pout at them very hard
Instantly reducing them to ash

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 51

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
Fern's jealousy streak is the best

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Frieren at her own funeral.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
frieran looks so proud of her kid

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
What interesting to me is that the clones are supposed to behave like the original but isn't Sense supposed to be a pacifist?

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Go Fern, channel that depression into violence!

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
Nice how the conversation skips directly to "how are you going to" and never brings up "are you willing to." 'cause after everything they have been through Fern is absolutely willing to kill Frieran ['s doppleganger].

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
To be fair, if I had spent most of my life around Frieran I too would have formulated multiple detailed plans of killing her out of sheer exasperation.

Also, Frieran's expression makes me think doing so as hypotheticals to spend time seems to be expected.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

I Am Fowl posted:

What interesting to me is that the clones are supposed to behave like the original but isn't Sense supposed to be a pacifist?

A pacifist willing to let people challenge a dangerous dungeon if it means they don't go on to pass the exam. The doppelganger inflicted a dramatic but not deadly wound to make them retreat.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I also liked the sidenote that incorrigible completionist Himmel cleared all the dungeons in the land.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I Am Fowl posted:

I also liked the sidenote that incorrigible completionist Himmel cleared all the dungeons in the land.

I bet he also got all the weapon stories, although he only needed 33 for the achievement.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

my favorite thing about this comic is that it is doing the video game world thing, but it doesn't wink at the camera a single time about it

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I'm worried about Frierans old partners.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 52

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Kids can be so cruel.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I hope they ultimately defeat the fake-Frieran by using her real weakness. They throw a mimic in there.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
When are they going to get to the fireworks factory

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

When are they going to get to the fireworks factory

When Frieran hears a rumor that they make fireworks using obscure magic.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm worried about Frierans old partners.

Turns out they had advance knowledge of the dungeon and are just fine, thanks to the mystical powers of being well-connected.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Warden posted:

Turns out they had advance knowledge of the dungeon and are just fine, thanks to the mystical powers of being well-connected.

Being rich and well-connected is the true and fundamental superpower across all genres and multi-verses.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Been musing this for a while, but who do you think is the worst person among the mages involved in this exam?

Genau set up an exam that not only exposed the aspirants to mortal danger but encouraged them to kill each other. Sense's exam is downright merciful compared to that, with mages having an escape route in the form of the golems in bottles.

Ubel's an unrepentant murderer, but at least some of her killing was done ostensibly in the name of self-defense and we don't know the details of why she killed the proctor of the previous exam. There must have been mitigating circumstances for them to let her walk away and take the exam again.

It's explicitly stated that Denken has done a lot of bad poo poo in political power struggles, though he acts more grandfatherly now.

Richter was willing to murder a girl or two just make sure Frieran's team failed the first exam.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Warden posted:

Been musing this for a while, but who do you think is the worst person among the mages involved in this exam?

Genau set up an exam that not only exposed the aspirants to mortal danger but encouraged them to kill each other. Sense's exam is downright merciful compared to that, with mages having an escape route in the form of the golems in bottles.

Ubel's an unrepentant murderer, but at least some of her killing was done ostensibly in the name of self-defense and we don't know the details of why she killed the proctor of the previous exam. There must have been mitigating circumstances for them to let her walk away and take the exam again.

It's explicitly stated that Denken has done a lot of bad poo poo in political power struggles, though he acts more grandfatherly now.

Richter was willing to murder a girl or two just make sure Frieran's team failed the first exam.

Don't forget that Frieran and Fern voluntarily associate with Stark, a man who drinks juice unpermitted.

Truly, they are the most vile of sinners or the most spotless of saints to allow such a person in their company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Patware posted:

my favorite thing about this comic is that it is doing the video game world thing, but it doesn't wink at the camera a single time about it

Oh its getting pretty close with this chapter