Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Slaan posted:

This baby, I do not like it
Not the momma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Slaan posted:

This baby, I do not like it

Considering the text under your avatar I'm surprised you aren't more excited for a human eating fetus.

Jokes aside, the crying is horrible and would immediately make me want to memory repository.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Unreleased Abnormality 2: Hammer of Light

O-05-48-Z or Hammer of light is a ZAYIN-class Abnormality, which cannot be interacted or worked with, unless there is a trouble currently happening. Trouble is defined as either level 3 trumpet or at least 1 Abnormality escaping and accumulating 10 points in its internal score: 2 points for every TETH level escapee, 4 for HE ones, 7 for WAW and 10 for ALEPH. Every agent currently panicing adds 1 to the score and every agent who died since last time Hammer was used (or stage start) adds 2.
Level 2 trumpet is special case: you can work with Hammer, but special work is unavaliable.

As soon as an agent starts special work on Hammer, they are transformed into powerful being. Additional beings are summoned: one to accompany original agent and two more for each Abnormality currently on the loose, with a limit of 12 beings total. They move to attack Abnormalities, teleporting around (like Pale Fixer did) to reach their targets.

After all Abnormalities are suppressed, all beings, including original agent, die and Hammer returns to its containment chamber, ready to be used again. Hammer also returns, if all beings were killed: they are strong, but not invulnerable and can die.

Hammer of Light portrait:

Hammer of Light containment chamber overlay:

This is drawn over containment chamber if Hammer is not able to be used.
Runic writing spells "Sacrifice". For some reason it uses upside-down younger futhark kaun rune for "C" instead of elder futhark.

Hammer of Light sprite:

Hammer of Light sprite overlay:

This is displayed on top of the Hammer in containment chamber. if you cannot use it.

Quotes:

Agent ordered to work posted:

#0 designated to $0 containment room.

Agent starts to work posted:

There is a hammer, chained like a prisoner who haven’t seen sunlight for a long time.

Agent continues to work 1 posted:

The hammer and the chains are not separated. They are one abnormality.
It gives a sense of extraordinariness as if it should be placed in fantastical dungeon.
It seems safe, for it is chained.
Chains are binding the hammer tightly to make sure no one can lift it.

Agent continues to work 2 posted:

Employee #0 feels shame for working for the company while managing $0.
#0 is curious about the chains binding $0.

Agent continues to work 3 posted:

$0 waits for the day to be free from these chains.

Story:
Huge hammer coiled around with chain. Normally, it is impossible to lift the hammer because the chains are binding it tightly. These chains are likely to be part of the abnormality. When the proper situation comes, the chains are loosened. Thus, it is confirmed that the purpose of these chains is to tell the right time to use the hammer, not to lock it.
“Poor employee Eric. He was clumsy but diligent. He always worked hard to contribute to the company. One day, when massive breakout happened, he found that Hammer of light’s chains were loose than usual. Eric lifted the hammer. Nothing could stop him. His eyes were looking at nowhere. White flames blazed from his body. He didn’t seem painful even though the flame almost consumed him. He finally ended the situation. When I touched his shoulder to hug him, he crushed like a white sand on a beach..
Everybody called him hero, never stopped praising him. But I know Eric. It was not his will. The moment he touched the hammer, his soul was eaten by it. I tried to explain how that abnormality sacrificed Eric but nobody listens to me. Since that day, no one has been able to lift that hammer. Maybe it’s waiting for another “chaos” and “hero” to appear.

Management guidelines:
$0's chamber is inaccessible when the facility is in peace

$0's seal is broken only in emergency.

Employee #0 picked up the hammer when he/she was sent to room of $0, which was shining.
When employee #0 picked up the hammer, other beings with hammers appeared out of nowhere.

An employee merged with the hammer couldn’t be ordered or harmed.
When the situation settled down, these beings with hammers, including employee #0, disappeared.

Judging from what I gathered, it looks like manager guidelines were supposed to be unlocked by observing abnormality and triggering events depicted in guidelines. Agent names in guidelines were supposed to be filled with employees, who triggered depicted event. Which is actually an idea I like, though as half of those guidelines are "if you do that, someone dies", I can see why it was taken out.
In addition to that, after you learned everything about Abnormality, you can interact with it to get something called "Final Observation". You will be presented with some text and one or more choices, one of which is correct. I have no idea what it would give you, or what happens if you fail it, but here is some text related to it:

I was the unluckiest man in the world.
Everything around me did nothing but ruining my life.
But I had no power to change this fate.
Someday, someone made an offer to me.
‘If you accept it, your whole world will change.’
Such a tempting offer. I could become something that I could only wish to be.

Accept the offer

I accepted the offer and paid the price.
$0 shined.

<angela>
$0 is such a simple abnormality.
It takes as much as it gave to you.
What price did you pay to it?
</angela>

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

From now on, Nameless Fetus is hereby dubbed:

"Fetus Baleetus".

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

One thing to note about Meat Lantern is that when they say it attacks anything that walks over it, they really do mean it. It absolutely will chomp on escaped abnormalities and ordeals as well - though they will attack it as well, so long-ranged ones just shoot it. Obviously its usefulness against escapees is very random, but it at least can do something for you against many ordeals.

Oh, and the reason it's generally an agent kill, even against elite ones, is it does 500 red damage. To put this in perspective, Punishing Bird is also a TETH and does 800-1200 red damage. So notably less, but still a ludicrous amount against anything but the most protected agents (or bulleted ones).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lord Koth posted:

One thing to note about Meat Lantern is that when they say it attacks anything that walks over it, they really do mean it. It absolutely will chomp on escaped abnormalities and ordeals as well - though they will attack it as well, so long-ranged ones just shoot it. Obviously its usefulness against escapees is very random, but it at least can do something for you against many ordeals.

Oh, and the reason it's generally an agent kill, even against elite ones, is it does 500 red damage. To put this in perspective, Punishing Bird is also a TETH and does 800-1200 red damage. So notably less, but still a ludicrous amount against anything but the most protected agents (or bulleted ones).

I had Meat Lantern in my facility and I seem to remember it attacks fairly fast against anything that does survive, too. It's not like Punishing Bird where it just hits once and then gives up.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Evil Kit posted:

Considering the text under your avatar I'm surprised you aren't more excited for a human eating fetus.

Understandable, but incorrect. The person that I want to eat people is ME, not some lame wannabe baby. Why would I ever share my snacks like that?!

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
When I played Lobcorp, I made a couple of rules for myself: I'd always take unresearched abnos if possible, and always the center one if it was unresearched. But I wasn't playing blind, and let myself use the wiki and hear mechanical spoilers from other goons. So I broke the second rule when it would have put Nameless Fetus in my facility. By the time I got around to researching it, every department was immune to meltdowns, I had at least a few agents with maximum stats to handle it, and I never upset it once.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Honestly I never found Nameless Fetus that bad. Even if you get it early on you can just use LOB to give an agent 5 Temperance and Fortitude and then it's pretty unlikely to be a problem. You need to not get a good work result on Instinct, and then hit the 20% chance to start it crying, and then hit the roulette landing on an agent if the initial burst of crying didn't cause a hair-trigger abnormality to flip out and ruin things. It's still easily the worst HE to have, but I'd at least take it over Meat Lantern and maybe a few WAWs as well. Being able to work it with a max Temperance agent helps a lot, and the gear is narrowly useful as well. Ranged white damage weapons are great early on, and the suit can help you work stuff with nasty white damage like Blue Star and friends.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah, I admit I got it pretty late where I had several agents who had the ability to consistently get good works out of it so never had it drop to 0. But getting it early game or when you have PD/WN switching containments around would make it a nightmare.

Still will pick it over Meat Lantern.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
I disapprove of people's disapproval of the fluffy bunny living under floor who enjoys playful love bites.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I put the image I said I owed you into the update. To save you from having to go back, here it is:

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
the only time i took fetus for my facility, it was next door neighbors with mountain of smiling bodies.

i did not like the fetus.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I had fetus and meat lantern together in safety :suicide:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i got the fetus on like day 48, in architecture with a bunch of non-factor abnormalities so i don't hate it nearly as much as i should

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 2, 2021

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Fetus forced my first day 1 reset when I picked it on a memory repository day and nobody could work it :)

Mecha_Face
Dec 17, 2016

Oooh, this one. This was one of the abnos I got early. The weapon is great, but I had a really hard time handling the abno itself due to not figuring out what work was best.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I would honestly call it one of the best TETH abnos in the game, though I'm sure the professional opinion will have words about it.

Mecha_Face
Dec 17, 2016
It’s really easy to handle as long as you pay attention, but there’s a hitch to that statement I will speak up about if TQ doesn’t mention it. So yea, a really good TETH in my opinion too.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
X-394 is a big facility, full of mysterious creatures known as Abnormalities. Many of these Abnormalities can do very bad things if they're handled improperly, and it's vitally important that our agents know just what may happen if they're careless. What's a manager to do?

Episode 24: Scorched Girl

Music: trailer

Hi! I'm Paul! Just your everyday plucky employee of Lobotomy Cobotomy, here today to talk about Scorched Girl!

Scorched Girl is a TETH-level abnnormality, taking the form of the burned body of a little girl.

With a matchstick stabbed through her! That looks painful.

It is painful, Paul! But there's nothing to worry about, as our researchers have assured us that Abnormalities are not deserving of any considerations.

Whew! That's a load off of my mind! So, how's this one work?

Scorched Girl's handling instructions are very simple. Her Qliphoth Counter can decrease from either Normal or Bad work results.

Here we have an agent who's acquired Scorched Girl's E.G.O Gift working with her in order to provoke a breach.

That gift is so super cool, Miss Hod! I want to hang a matchstick out of my mouth like that!

If you work hard, maybe someday you will! Anyways, because of Scorched Girl's counter of 2, it takes a couple of works to force a breach.

When Scorched Girl does breach, she slowly wanders the facility in search of-

Oh! I know! Warmth and happiness!

That isn't quite right, Paul. Have a look over here.

What's that symbol over the clerk's head?

That symbol means that the clerk is Scorched Girl's target. She slowly moves towards her target, and when she enters the same room as them she begins a five second countdown.

Wait-but…

They're already in the same room!

Oh… that's not very good at all!

Yowie wowie! She exploded all over my face!

This explosion deals massive Red damage to everyone in the same room. For this reason, it's imperative that Scorched Girl either be suppressed quickly, or that her target be kept far from her.

It's sure a good thing she's so fragile then, huh?

That's right! With only 120 HP, Scorched Girl can be put to rest by almost any combat-ready team of agents in just a short while.

Just play it smart and you won't get blown up!

Well, that's all the time we have today. Thanks for joining us! And remember…

Knowledge is just pain plus observation! Have a great day!

Music: Aspire

Good evening, future Managers. Before you ask, I would like to address something odd in today's episode. Have you heard of the concept of hibakujumoku?

Long ago, when man first lay hands upon technology which could be said to even begin to approach a Singularity, they sought to test it. Unfortunately for them, this technology was a horrifically powerful bomb. It leveled everything around it, caking the earth in death and killing countless humans. However, against all odds, there were trees which survived-some virtually untouched by the full force of such a powerful weapon. These are the hibakujumoku-roughly meaning 'bombed trees.' They served as a reminder that no matter how powerful a blast may seem, there is no such thing as a weapon which kills without fail.

All of this, of course, is to say the following: I have no idea how Epsilon48 survived either. Please don't ask. Some things in this world are simply beyond our comprehension. Angela, the graphics.

Scorched Girl is a fairly good Fortitude trainer, though doing so risks allowing her to breach-it's generally safer to stick with Insight work should your only focus be on her gear. And make no mistake-her suit is exquisite for getting a facility up and running initially, while her weapon is one of the best in the game in terms of raw damage output. It can keep up with some WAW weapons in the hands of a sufficiently proficient agent.

Her ability to breach also makes her invaluable for solving some of Gebura and Hod's missions. Speaking of which, I still need to fulfil that one from Hod…

The point is, Scorched Girl is an excellent addition to any facility. If unable to simply suppress her when her ire is provoked or play keepaway with the agent she targets, then have all agents clear out of the room of whatever poor clerk she's decided to fixate on. Since their deaths do not matter, nothing will be lost from their sacrifice. The best of luck to all of you. For now, this old man shall cease his ramblings.

Next time's featured Abnormality…

New Guidelines

Scorched Girl

New Gear

Requirements: None

Requirements: None

New Story

Scorched Girl

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 11, 2021

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I read them, Paul!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Well, that's recognizably The Little Match Girl. Mostly just because of the name of her equipment, though, it got some serious adaptation drift.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Chance to decrease counter on Normal result — 50%, on Bad — 70%. Compare to Fetus' 30% and 90%.

C — Consistency.

For some reasons damage is set to range 300-301.

TeeQueue posted:

All of this, of course, is to say the following: I have no idea how Epsilon48 survived either. Please don't ask. Some things in this world are simply beyond our comprehension. Angela, the graphics.
I might be mistaken — I didn't have tome to check everything thoroughly — but it seems that if clerk never leaves passage it spawned in, it will not be included in list of all units in passage, which Matchstick Girl uses to deal damage.
I was mistaken.

I am eagerly waiting for explanation how next Abnormality can benefit the facility.

MiiNiPaa fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 4, 2021

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Accidental double post

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yes, I read it Paul, you plucky employee you!

Dear manager,

Make Epsilon an Agent!

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

MiiNiPaa posted:

I might be mistaken — I didn't have tome to check everything thoroughly — but it seems that if clerk never leaves passage it spawned in, it will not be included in list of all units in passage, which Matchstick Girl uses to deal damage.

The damage popped up on the character's head so it definitely hit. They actually survived due to Chesed's suppression bonus... Which Abel doesn't have...

Hence we talk about Trees. :ssh:

Slaan posted:

Dear manager,

Make Epsilon an Agent!

Unfortunately, it is too late for that. I have finished getting all of the footage for the thread.

I'm setting the game down for a while after this, if only because I'm out of things to actually do.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Slaan posted:

Dear manager,

Make Epsilon an Agent!

Don't be stupid. They're still a clerk. I mean just imagine a clerk becoming an agent. That's so stupid and improbable the very idea is laughable. Even if it somehow happened they'd die immediately. Probably somehow earlier than immediately if you assigned them to an especially dangerous department like disciplinary since their whole thing is beating the hell out of abnormalities and crazy agents. Wouldn't last a second.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

TeeQueue posted:

The damage popped up on the character's head so it definitely hit. They actually survived due to Chesed's suppression bonus... Which Abel doesn't have...
Yes, I did find out that I was wrong and that problem was fixed in another place. But holy poo poo, Chesed bonus works on Clerks? I had to check and really, it does. I am surprised.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Don't worry Paul, i read them even though it's much harder on dark mode.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

MiiNiPaa posted:

Chance to decrease counter on Normal result — 50%, on Bad — 70%. Compare to Fetus' 30% and 90%.

C — Consistency.

For some reasons damage is set to range 300-301.
I was mistaken.

I am eagerly waiting for explanation how next Abnormality can benefit the facility.

Always appreciate these glimpses behind the code.

There’s two specific uses for the next Abnormality that I would consider beneficial.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Oh BOY the next abno. I have memories of finding out that one's gimmick.

But Scorched Girl is fantastic and her weapon is just *chef's kiss*

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

TeeQueue posted:

:allears:

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

So, funny story - my partner had a facility that had Scorched Girl in Information right next to the center room. When he was doing his first WhiteNight suppression, WhiteNight ended up hanging out in Information as well - when he ended up throwing his last agent into the Shelter, Scorched Girl kept breaking out, running to WhiteNight, and exploding.

Anyways, that's how his first WhiteNight suppression occurred overnight.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The flame is the soul's breath.
The black smoke is the soul's release.
Ashes thou wert and art. May thy soul return to the great flame of fire.
Látom.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Dareon posted:

Well, that's recognizably The Little Match Girl. Mostly just because of the name of her equipment, though, it got some serious adaptation drift.

There are a lot of fire safety PSA Horror Stories it could be based on. I choose to believe that the source is Hilf Mir by Rammstein despite all evidence to the contrary.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

TeeQueue posted:

I've been waiting for this one. :unsmigghh:

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

The staff are going to have an rear end of a time explaining this one.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
Is there another flame-based abnormality like MG? I seem to remember having a terrible time with some fire-based girl when I played and first got into the TETH layer, but I don't remember MG's mechanics.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

OneWingedDevil posted:

Is there another flame-based abnormality like MG? I seem to remember having a terrible time with some fire-based girl when I played and first got into the TETH layer, but I don't remember MG's mechanics.

The Firebird? (Who, tangent, I knew was going to be a firebird the moment I saw the abnormality selection text for it because I'm familiar with the myths; following this LP has been fun in part because my knowledge of mythology, folklore, religious esoterica, and other stuff has helped me figure out where things are going or what's about to happen beforehand quite a bit, which is a good way to feel clever for a bit. Even if in the case of the Firebird it's thanks to Dominions 5 that I knew about it, because Bogarus is a cool nation.)

Its QC goes down on Good results, it sets everything around it on fire when it breaches, and it auto-kills anyone who panics when fighting it, so I could see it giving people a lot of trouble.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
I don't know it is questionable if Paul would appreciate that weird sadistic intelligences from another dimension, who are ultimately responsible for the torment of him and his world, ogling at his suffering while his compatriots seem to largely ignore his work.