Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Kith posted:

Charles C. Ebbets, the photographer behind this picture:

Every time I see these pictures I have to wonder just how many closed casket funerals resulted from workers falling to their deaths. Just looking at the picture is viscerally terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bad Munki posted:

You won’t believe the picture of the person taking THAT pic.

Kinda like the photographers in Warren Miller films. Gotta get into and out of the same snow as the subjects, with a camera.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Dirk the Average posted:

Every time I see these pictures I have to wonder just how many closed casket funerals resulted from workers falling to their deaths. Just looking at the picture is viscerally terrifying.

At least five people died building the Rockefeller center where this photo was taken.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Dirk the Average posted:

Nowhere near as many as you'd think but still way more than should ever have happened.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Didn't hard hats get invented when workers were getting killed at the Hoover dam and one dipped their hat in tar and let it dry or something?

I wouldn't be surprised if almost all ppe was less than a hundred years old and took decades longer to get adopted in any serous way

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Didn't hard hats get invented when workers were getting killed at the Hoover dam and one dipped their hat in tar and let it dry or something?

No. They were largely derived from the metal helmets issued to soldiers in World War 1.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

I wouldn't be surprised if almost all ppe was less than a hundred years old and took decades longer to get adopted in any serous way

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/history-hard-hat-180974238/

Looks like surgical masks were invented during the Manchurian Plague of 1910 also.
But didnt come into regular use until the 60s.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 1, 2021

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

My grandparents lived on a lake and I NEVER saw as much dumb poo poo as appears on The Qualified Captain on a regular basis. For example, this novel method of boat transport:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPjpL0jBEHw

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

The best part is the roof rack.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Most people might think that even one car crashing into your house is bad luck, but it's all relative...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-57317190

stratego
May 6, 2007

Kith posted:

Charles C. Ebbets, the photographer behind this picture:

Those have to be among the worst shoe choice for that.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Those brogues are fuckin' flawless.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Can't say he's lacking PPE when he's rocking both belt AND suspenders.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qtlaw3E7aM1qejbir.mp4

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

mobby_6kl posted:

That's probably not the approved procedure for closing the overhead compartment but it should be.

https://i.imgur.com/jo7MjaS.mp4

I think I'm in love!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Gotta love the end where the cat’s like “that’s loving right you go over there.”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

punishedkissinger posted:

At least five people died building the Rockefeller center where this photo was taken.

No one died building the Chrysler Building.

It’s the superior skyscraper.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

I think I'm in love!

https://i.imgur.com/drGb3NN.gifv

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

OgNar posted:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/history-hard-hat-180974238/

Looks like surgical masks were invented during the Manchurian Plague of 1910 also.
But didnt come into regular use until the 60s.

To add to this, during the Age of Sail, sailors would wear felt or canvas hats coated with tar, but this was more for waterproofing than impact protection.
https://www.britishtars.com/2017/05/canvas-hats.html

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
"Shenanigans"

look closely at her heel

edit: still insanely impressive though.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 2, 2021

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

/Chanting URANIUM in an extremely Koyaanisqatsi voice

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

shoulda pushed the cat off and ran away at the very last possible second

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/vD3ZQga.mp4

Memorial Day weekend brings 'em out.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

I think the general idea that safety has greatly improved in the last hundred years is dead on, but PPE is such a broad term that this specific claim is hard to really define. Medieval blacksmiths wore leather aprons and gloves, for example.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Even the plague doctor masks were less silly than they look, though obviously suffering from not knowing about bacteria and viruses. They're basically a long filter chamber packed with some sort of wadding soaked in material they hoped would have a protective effect. I'd rather have a surgical mask, but a snout full of linen wadding with some camphor was probably a whole lot better than nothing.

(Especially combined with the protective leather suits they wore.)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
HEPA filters date to the Second World War and originally used asbestos.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well where are you going to find micron width fibrous material in the 30s/40s

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well where are you going to find micron width fibrous material in the 30s/40s

A little town in Western Australia named Wittenoom

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Memento posted:

A little town in Western Australia named Wittenoom

Also a little town in Quebec named Asbestos

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GotLag posted:

Also a little town in Quebec named Asbestos

They renamed it last year.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

Platystemon posted:

No one died building the Chrysler Building.

It’s the superior skyscraper.

when I lived in NYC I went to a job interview in the Chrysler Building that I was totally unqualified for, I just wanted to go up in the building and it was cool as poo poo

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Architecture peaked with Art Deco and I’ll die on that hill.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Brutalism is cool too but with the very important caveat that it has to be surrounded by (and preferably covered in) vegetation.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Phanatic posted:

Architecture peaked with Art Deco and I’ll die on that hill.

Same

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

GotLag posted:

Brutalism is cool too

A shameful post

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Cartoon Man posted:

A shameful post

Good of you to self-diagnose your take

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/couriermail/status/1399988212420911106

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

GotLag posted:

Brutalism is cool too but with the very important caveat that it has to be surrounded by (and preferably covered in) vegetation.

Brutalism covered in green plants is indeed cool - good brutalist designs often have really generous open spaces, but they need the plants to make that feel pleasant instead of oppressive.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i love brutalism, but i suspect that's caused by the same malady that has made me a life-long seattle mariners fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Y'all motherfuckers are forgetting about GEODESIC DOMES

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jun 2, 2021