Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Powershift posted:

Team name checks out.

drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Another Bill posted:

Hot on the heels of the Ethan Bear racism.... not a good look Edmonton.

look it's the elks not the bears, it's totally different

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Terror Sweat posted:

Eskimo is a slur?

there are people who call themselves that, but that's not who most people mean when they say that word; yeah

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Powershift posted:

Team name checks out.

lol

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Coxswain Balls posted:

Why would people be mad, now you have an excuse to wear big rear end antler crowns to games.

Seriously. Elks is a better name anyway.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Kinda funny that the team that wears John Deere colours gets renamed to Elks.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Edmonton Ungulates imo

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Terror Sweat posted:

Eskimo is a slur?

in the mid 90s I got in trouble with my teacher because the I did a book report on a book with an Eskimo, and I should have known this was offensive and corrected the book and my book report to Inuit

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Sorry you got cancelled.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I don't have another 5 pages in me, lets all just accept it's a slur and move on please.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Inuit means "the people" and Inuk means "person". So use Inuit for a group or the people in general and one person is an Inuk.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It’s a more complicated word than some other slurs, because there are groups that use it to self identify. mostly in Alaska not Canada

we probably shouldn’t have a football team called the Edmonton Inuits either though so whatever. maybe just stay away from calling your sports teams after peoples

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

maybe just stay away from calling your sports teams after peoples

it's been this all along

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You can quantify when a word was generally recognised as a slur by the last time The Simpsons used it, in this case 1993

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There's a lot of poo poo that needs to be renamed in Canada. It's relatively easy to do if people in power actually care to do it, like Langevin School in Calgary. I hope it gets done immediately and there's a push to actually get clean water to the First Nations, fix the foster care system, abolish the police, etc.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

maybe just stay away from calling your sports teams after peoples

Chicago Baby Humans excepted.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Testicular Torque Wrench posted:

the state is areligious. therefore, no person who works for the state can show any type of religious affiliation or partisanship.
it is not a niqab ban (and calling it thus is facetious and sensationalist), it is a wholesale religious ban for the enforcement of state neutrality and the separation of church and state.

moreover, since 74% of quebecois identify as catholic, you could argue that this law "opresses" them more by simple virtue of quantity

i recommend les insolences du frere untel for a humorous decrying of what a religious state-led system looked like

The tautology of laicite is wild man. No you see because we've decided to be intolerant of other people, we are allowed to enact discriminatory laws and it's ok. See? We're actually in the clear thanks to "laicite."

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Femtosecond posted:

The tautology of laicite is wild man. No you see because we've decided to be intolerant of other people, we are allowed to enact discriminatory laws and it's ok. See? We're actually in the clear thanks to "laicite."

I ended up looking up the origins of laïcité and discovered that the original French secularism acts simply don't apply in the Alsace and Moselle regions, as they were part of the German Empire when the law was signed and nobody gave enough of a gently caress to write an amendment to include them after Alsace-Lorraine was returned to France. The state thus still officially supports Catholicism in two administrative districts, which serves as a convenient way for the Church to be able to gently caress around with French governance if they need to.

This is exactly the kind of bizarre rules lawyering that I can see influencing Quebec nationalist quasi-anti-secularism.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Can we change the title to [loser leafs]

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

we probably shouldn’t have a football team called the Edmonton Inuits either though so whatever. maybe just stay away from calling your sports teams after peoples

Aren't there enough animals that you could name every sports team on Earth after a different animal and still have enough animals left over for several dozen-if-not-hundred entirely new sports leagues? Plus animals are a heck of a lot easier to merchandise.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Randalor posted:

Aren't there enough animals that you could name every sports team on Earth after a different animal and still have enough animals left over for several dozen-if-not-hundred entirely new sports leagues? Plus animals are a heck of a lot easier to merchandise.

which name? the name given to the animal by the indigenous peoples of that region in which the animal is found or the name given by the colonialist powers?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Randalor posted:

The Edmonton Hominids

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
What's funny about the Quebec discourse is that the "Quebec is a colonized country" discourse is taken completely seriously in the Quebecois left to this day. Nevermind the first world living standards in Quebec today.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Randalor posted:

maybe don't start with the birds, though

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Noblesse Obliged posted:

which name? the name given to the animal by the indigenous peoples of that region in which the animal is found or the name given by the colonialist powers?

... are you really nitpicking the suggestion that didn't involve the dehumanization of entire groups of people into parodies?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

maybe don't start with the birds, though

The Edmonton Tippi Hedrens doesn’t roll off the tongue nearly as well though.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Randalor posted:

... are you really nitpicking the suggestion that didn't involve the dehumanization of entire groups of people into parodies?

i personally would name all teams after anmials but i would also invent new names for the animals, so as to be entirely neutral. the Toronto Jerglamits, the Victoria Clorngemodes, and the Montreal Gerps.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Randalor posted:

Learning about transatlantic elk nomenclature is a road to madness

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Arivia posted:

The Edmonton Tippi Hedrens doesn’t roll off the tongue nearly as well though.

Boobies beat the Tits 22-6, Bush Tyrants held back a late push from the Shags to win 17-14, and the Saskatchewan Throat Warblers beat the Ottawa Throatwarblers HOW DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Alright, the Edmonton Wapiti it is. Someone notify the league.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Another Bill posted:

Alright, the Edmonton Wapiti it is. Someone notify the league.

I like it

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

quote:

The Shawnee name, wapiti, means "white-rump".

I was just kidding around but when the shoe REALLY fits....

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it, I just want to see a team called the Dodo Birds. Wait, can there be a league where the botton-ranking team has to change their name to the Dodo Birds for the following year's league?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Randalor posted:

Okay, I'll admit it, I just want to see a team called the Dodo Birds. Wait, can there be a league where the botton-ranking team has to change their name to the Dodo Birds for the following year's league?

Yes, Blaseball.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Edmonton Eediots

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

ToxicAcne posted:

What's funny about the Quebec discourse is that the "Quebec is a colonized country" discourse is taken completely seriously in the Quebecois left to this day. Nevermind the first world living standards in Quebec today.

Oof. These colonizers are victims because the other colonizers colonized a little harder than they did!

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

bring back lingua franca

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

someone once used the term “lingua franca” in describing English being the dominant language and the need to preserve French with absolutely no introspection on why “lingua franca” was a thing

if they put it in italics that'd be :discourse:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Juul-Whip posted:

the same week 250 little child skeletons were found in a mass grave in BC is an especially great time to prattle on about how the Quebecois are unsung victims of racial prejudice in this country

Was going to say

I checked the Canada CSPAM thread, see 450 posts and think "wow, such lengthy discussion of the 215 kids foudn in Kamloops"

Read thread: Oh, its Quebechat (the t is silent)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

it reminds me of a story I heard in Vienna about how Maria Theresia was an empress of the people. she heard a young Mozart play for her court and shocked the assembly by speaking German to him instead of French as French was the language of power throughout Europe for 200 years but now they are totally like Black people