Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I personally know not one but two people who own stretched ruckii

I’m not sure what this says about me as a person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

PleasantDirge posted:

I really like these dumb little things but you are high AF if you think you can get $6k in American dollars for that frankenscooter

You'd be surprised. The mini and ruck crowd regularly dumps 10+k American Dollars into their vehicles. It's the dumbest thing. That one there looks like a clean custom, with the typical ruck mods, and probably has more than 6k into it.

The problem is that these idiots not only all want their minis to look exactly the same modded to gently caress, but also want to get a cheap stock example to ruinstart with. Then they all go pay msrp for the exact same mods and install them themselves. Then get bored and try to sell for a high price. The cycle continues.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

All the money, none of the respect of their peers. $6k instant solution to prove to everyone how fly you are. I guess that's who's buying this? (nobody is buying this).

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

It's fashion. Some people buy sneakers, some people buy purses, some people stance Ruckii.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Coydog posted:

You'd be surprised. The mini and ruck crowd regularly dumps 10+k American Dollars into their vehicles. It's the dumbest thing. That one there looks like a clean custom, with the typical ruck mods, and probably has more than 6k into it.

The problem is that these idiots not only all want their minis to look exactly the same modded to gently caress, but also want to get a cheap stock example to ruinstart with. Then they all go pay msrp for the exact same mods and install them themselves. Then get bored and try to sell for a high price. The cycle continues.

Now that you mention it, the fact that they all look the same def adds to the ??? Factor for me.

It's all the same slammed, gy6 swap, cut up rucki as far as the eye can see and the owners want to sell them like a gently worn pair of yeezy's

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I guess it's just like every overpriced, cut up, caféd cb750 from a few years back.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s weird with the rucks though. They are LITERALLY all the same. It’s like someone found the ideal Hot Boi combo of ruckus mods and everyone just went with it.

You’ll see variations in exhaust, different wheels and things like that, but the setup is always exactly the same

It’s probably helped by the fact that NCY supplies like 99% of the mods for Rucks, so they’re all sourced from the same spot

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is how vrods are here.

Everyone with a vrod platform bike, irrespective of what it started off as or looked like, is somewhere along in the process of spraying it black (runs the full gamut from high priced engine out customs to half-fried black rattlecan indiscriminately doused everywhere), putting on tall T-bars (again, anything between $1200 Arlen Ness crap and some plumbing welded together painted with a brush), and buying a pair of red sneakers to go with.

Literally all of them. All. Of. Them. I had to talk my missus' cousin out of completely destroying a rare screaming eagle variant with an orange frame, 5 spoke wheels, bespoke speedo design etc. The idea of having a vrod that wasn't blacked out and t-barred broke his brain, like he couldn't understand why you would even buy one if it wasn't for that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You buy one for the cool motor and then do everything you can to make it sound like a typical potato potato Harley even though it isn’t one

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What about the time honored tradition of spending tens of thousands on drag racing parts that make your bike worse, only to gain like 15hp while simultaneously wrecking all ability to stop or turn or use your now-hopelessly-peaky power?

NOT FOR THE WEAK

The comments warm my cockles though.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 5, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

What about the time honored tradition of spending tens of thousands on drag racing parts that make your bike worse, only to gain like 15hp while simultaneously wrecking all ability to stop or turn or use your now-hopelessly-peaky power?

NOT FOR THE WEAK

NOT FOR THE WEAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*makes decently jetted Bandit 1200 power*

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Slavvy posted:

NOT FOR THE WEAK

Would you please post a screenshot?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Wow that's a clean looking Ninja 500, I haven't seen one of those for sale in a long time, I wonder how much they wa-

:fuckoff:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I had no idea Cannondale ever made motorcycles, let alone a supermoto. Are parts for this non-existent? Was it cool or a huge POS?

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/mcy/d/colorado-springs-cannondale-s440/7333550955.html

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

FBS posted:

Wow that's a clean looking Ninja 500, I haven't seen one of those for sale in a long time, I wonder how much they wa-

:fuckoff:

Lol I think I paid less for my 2005 ninja 500 when it was only like 3 years old.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

MomJeans420 posted:

I had no idea Cannondale ever made motorcycles, let alone a supermoto. Are parts for this non-existent? Was it cool or a huge POS?

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/mcy/d/colorado-springs-cannondale-s440/7333550955.html

I also didn't know they made quads for a while. This article goes into it and a bit on the bikes as well.

https://dirtwheelsmag.com/history-cannondale-quads/

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

"Okay, so what happened after bankruptcy? Well, the good news is that ATK bought the remaining inventory of Cannondale. ATK was a smaller-cottage motorcycle company putting dirt bikes together using other manufacturers’ engines. They became the source for any parts that the 8000 Cannondale owners might need. Not only that, but ATK pinpointed the reliability problems and offered update kits to cure them." - that's pretty cool, I'm glad there's enough of a market to make that worth it

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Gorson posted:

I also didn't know they made quads for a while. This article goes into it and a bit on the bikes as well.

https://dirtwheelsmag.com/history-cannondale-quads/

Oh wow I didn't expect them to have designed their own engine, wtf.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

High Protein posted:

Oh wow I didn't expect them to have designed their own engine, wtf.

Impressive and dumb in equal measure.

Amazingly forward-thinking philosophy and design, incredibly stupid decision to attempt actually building and selling said design. The Buell effect.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Uhhhhhhh guyyyyyyyyyys.
help

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?...&timingWithin=1

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 19, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Seizure or forfeiture auction?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Neither, Honda donated them to the College of Western Idaho for a wrenching program but they hardly got touched

https://jalopnik.com/stop-what-youre-doing-and-check-out-these-tantalizing-c-1847121009

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Phy posted:

Neither, Honda donated them to the College of Western Idaho for a wrenching program but they hardly got touched

https://jalopnik.com/stop-what-youre-doing-and-check-out-these-tantalizing-c-1847121009

Wild.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/157032369797867/

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That is not a bike that should have an aftermarket air filter, it just looks like it's missing something

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The intake looks like a flaccid penis.

Imagine being the poor gently caress who has to take that carb apart the first time. Also love how it has the worst tyres imaginable.

The whole bike looks like one of those neural network generated cats. Just weird proportions and perspective poo poo going on everywhere.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

The intake looks like a flaccid penis.

Imagine being the poor gently caress who has to take that carb apart the first time. Also love how it has the worst tyres imaginable.

The whole bike looks like one of those neural network generated cats. Just weird proportions and perspective poo poo going on everywhere.

I think - despite all the times it gets dunked on in this forum - this is the first time I've ever seen a Blast, and this is a perfect description of it.

Like there's that really nice swingarm and pulley cover, which have a nice, consistent line - and then a silencer just chucked under it at a completely different angle and shape. The front and back of the tank appear to be from different bikes, the subframe for the footpegs manages to be both vastly overengineered and yet also flimsy looking, and generally the whole thing seems to have been designed like that game where you fold the paper over and draw one bit of an animal then pass it to another person who can't see what you've drawn, and they draw the next bit.

e: On the stock bike, would that space from the missing cylinder be filled up by an airbox or something similar?

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Pardon my ignorance but: what is this, and what purpose is there in having a gauge that cannot be read while actually on the bike?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

TheNothingNew posted:

Pardon my ignorance but: what is this, and what purpose is there in having a gauge that cannot be read while actually on the bike?

Struggling on this one, oil pressure? Oil temp?

I am desperate to know what year someone did a frame up on a Blast. I can see someone doing that in 2007 when they still thought the bike had a future.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TheNothingNew posted:

I would be tickled if it was some cockamamie float based oil quantity gauge.
But it's probably just a meat thermometer jbwelded into the sump.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think - despite all the times it gets dunked on in this forum - this is the first time I've ever seen a Blast, and this is a perfect description of it.

Like there's that really nice swingarm and pulley cover, which have a nice, consistent line - and then a silencer just chucked under it at a completely different angle and shape. The front and back of the tank appear to be from different bikes, the subframe for the footpegs manages to be both vastly overengineered and yet also flimsy looking, and generally the whole thing seems to have been designed like that game where you fold the paper over and draw one bit of an animal then pass it to another person who can't see what you've drawn, and they draw the next bit.

e: On the stock bike, would that space from the missing cylinder be filled up by an airbox or something similar?

My thoughts exactly. And yeah the airbox is predictably an awkward clashing shape that doesn't really fill the space properly:

TheNothingNew posted:

That is a Harley oil pressure gauge, normally they're on the end of a flexible line and mounted somewhere you can see. I assume that one is only used for diagnostic purposes when starting it up in the morning; any information gained from it would be too little too late if you're already riding.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

That is a Harley oil pressure gauge, normally they're on the end of a flexible line and mounted somewhere you can see. I assume that one is only used for diagnostic purposes when starting it up in the morning; any information gained from it would be too little too late if you're already riding.

"If you can see this you've crashed".

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
May as well ask here because I never remember to ask every other time I have this thought - why are the pulleys on belt-drive bikes so much bigger than chain sprockets? Is it just because the belt isn't as flexible as a chain? Presumably the front pulley (as the smaller one) is similarly scaled up?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

May as well ask here because I never remember to ask every other time I have this thought - why are the pulleys on belt-drive bikes so much bigger than chain sprockets? Is it just because the belt isn't as flexible as a chain? Presumably the front pulley (as the smaller one) is similarly scaled up?

That's basically it yes. The minimum arc allowed by the belt is like 5" diameter.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

That's basically it yes. The minimum arc allowed by the belt is like 5" diameter.

I guessed it was probably that but I've also seen pulleys that are more-or-less sprocket sized, and I was wondering if it was just because the massive pulley looks kinda cool. I assume then that with the smaller pulleys they're willing to take the extra drag of adding a final step-down gear to keep the ratios right in order to save all that rotating/unsprung mass.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Ah, at least that makes some sense. Thanks.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I guessed it was probably that but I've also seen pulleys that are more-or-less sprocket sized, and I was wondering if it was just because the massive pulley looks kinda cool. I assume then that with the smaller pulleys they're willing to take the extra drag of adding a final step-down gear to keep the ratios right in order to save all that rotating/unsprung mass.

For the Blast it might be that the other parts, i.e. gearbox and front pulley, are meant for a bike with much more torque.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I dunno the front pulley on an ls650 is about the same diameter as a Harley and those can't pull apart a wet paper bag. I've never seen a really small one for the drive belt, the belts themselves are really stiff and can't bend as tight as a cambelt.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Oil Boom Bad Financial Decisions: The Kijiji Ad

Bike is a 2018 MT-09

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Rofl

There's only a price crash every six years, what could go wrong with a 7 year 19% loan