Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

And it gave us Ralph Pootawn

My favorite is the goon who made an Abe Lincoln avatar and went around the digital bdsm clubs "freeing the slaves"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

MechaSeinfeld posted:

12 year old me had to explain to my friends mum how to watch Spinderman on VCD and she just didn’t understand that you had to swap the discs out. She just got mad at me that the movie stopped after 30 minutes. I wish I could’ve hosed her

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:yikes:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Blue Footed Booby posted:

My favorite is the goon who made an Abe Lincoln avatar and went around the digital bdsm clubs "freeing the slaves"

Link?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ok here's something almost as virginal. You need to know a ton about Marvel comics but if you do then this is either a god-tier troll or an unintentional master dunk:

Daktar posted:

Way of X #2

Toshimo posted:

Why is Franklin Vegeta?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

It was from like 2007. I have no link, just the youth I wasted on the internet.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Such Fun posted:

Here’s a small and stupid question for you:

For the past two years I’ve been smelling this extremely intoxicating fragrance at the beginning of summer, and I can’t figure out what it is.

- This fragrance is only there at night
- I live at the 23rd floor, but it is still very potent - at night.
- I live next to a modestly sized park with chestnuts, linden trees, and plane trees.
- I googled for for plants that are fragrant at night, but none seem to be common around here.
- ‘around here’ is Utrecht, the middle of the netherlands, extremely moderate climate.
- I would describe the fragrance as camphor-like, or rose -without any of the sweetness.

So, anybody got a suggestion to what could create such a heavy fragrance?

(I asked my dad, who is generally knowledgeable, but it turned into a discussion about why I was smelling the nighttime air; was I trying to smell xtc-labs!?)

nishi koichi posted:

i hope you find out what it is, because you've just reminded me i might have smelled it too (pnw, though) and never found what it was. it seemed to be released only at night, a comforting and somehow nostalgic odor. i've never smelled anything like it since, it's wonderful. i don't think i can describe it, but if i came across it again, i'd know.

TheLastManStanding posted:

Linden trees bloom at the beginning of summer and are known for being very potent.

regulargonzalez posted:

Some thoughts:

You might be smelling it more strongly at night for several reasons that don't include the flower actually creating more scent at night: you're less preoccupied with work / activities at night, there is less traffic and so less exhaust odor that might mask the scent, less traffic driving through also means the air itself will be more still and so the scent can linger.

It's always tough to describe scents precisely -- we don't have a very good grammar for it, especially if you're not a perfumier or something. That said, your description reminded me of honeysuckle (which is a really great scent).

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

In addition to all of the above, many flowers have their strongest scent in the late afternoon/evening, and most plants seem to have a particular time of day (not always evening) when they smell strongest.

artsy fartsy posted:

Is this because of the type of pollinators they're trying to attract?

Mak0rz posted:

Maybe! The collection of numerous flower characteristics (size, color, scent, time of opening, just to name a few) come together to form a pollination syndrome, in which the characteristics line up with whatever vectors, living or non-living, they coevolved with to facilitate pollination.

If a flower is stinky it's probably pollinated by flies or beetles. Big and (usually) red? Hummingbirds. Bright and can be seen from afar? Bees. Exposed and produces a fuckton of tiny, dry pollen grains? Wind.

Flowers that are open in late evening or at night tend to be pollinated by moths or bats. Most other would-be pollinators don't tend to be active at this time. Other characters typical of a moth syndrome include large white petals, which are better to see at night, deep nectary tubes to accommodate moth proboscis, and a strong sweet scent.

A flower like that could be what you're looking for, Such Fun. Anything around you that might match that description? The flowers would likely be closed during the day if that's the case. You said you live fairly high up in an apartment building? I doubt what you're smelling is coming from the ground. Do any of your neighboring balconies have flower pots?

Such Fun posted:

Okay, yes. It’s the linden trees, I’m quite certain now.
Describing scents can be hard indeed, and the adjective I was lacking was ‘cummy’.

I’ve talked to several irl people about this mysterious and enchanting fragrance last year, and I don’t think I’ll be bringing up the subject again.

But those cummies smelled real good.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

There's a lot of drama and pathos in that quote sequence.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Kenning posted:

There's a lot of drama and pathos in that quote sequence.

It's the bones of a one-act play that turns out to be an allegory for the allure of fascist ideology.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

And it gave us Ralph Pootawn

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The mystery smell thing is from the Stupid/Small question thread, so while it’s unfolding, there’s a separate conversation going on about how to support the LGBTQ2+ community in the workplace, and does it involve e‐mail siggies?

I considered reordering the quotes to put the Mitchell & Webb link near the end, but it’s ultimately funnier when OP and another wax poetic about the mystery smell, then there’s the M&W driveby, then people talk about the wonders of nature, and now we’ve forgotten about the cum tree. Then OP drops the bomb that it is the cum tree.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
It's chestnut trees that smell like cum, not linden.

I mean

so I've heard

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Every tree smells like cum if you gently caress enough of them.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

It's chestnut trees that smell like cum, not linden.

I thought it was those ornamental pear trees?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
When you think about it, pollen is pure plant jizz.

This thread has done a good job of compiling the top three culprits that happen to have a smell redolent of human jizz: linden tree, sweet chestnut, and Callery pear. They are by no means the only offenders.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
It’s definitely linden. There’s a bunch of em lined up in a walkway near my office and on the right day it’s a literal nose bukkake.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Bradford Pears and Lindens are the cum trees.

Japan's obsessive ornamental is the cherry tree because they're pretty, smell incredible, and you can make tea with the flowers.

America and England, though, said to hell with that. We want everything to smell like cum and for our our trees to only produce cum smell. No fruit. No tea. Only cum. Long live cum odor.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
There was no colonial tax on cum because the British army needed an uninterrupted flow of semen for...murky imperial reasons.

NO MASTURBATION WITHOUT RESPRESENTATION.

E: gingko trees also smell like cum!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Japan's obsessive ornamental is the cherry tree because they're pretty, smell incredible, and you can make tea with the flowers.

America and England, though, said to hell with that. We want everything to smell like cum and for our our trees to only produce cum smell. No fruit. No tea. Only cum. Long live cum odor.
But Japan is also big on ginkgo in public plantings, and the fruit smells like vomit--like, they literally have the butyro-whatever compound that gives vomit its characteristic smell. In Kyoto they trim the trees into oblivion before they can fruit, but not in Tokyo. In Tokyo, you're walking by these majestic living fossil trees on constant lookout for non-existent barf puddles.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

okay somebody has to post it now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoqlYGuZGVM

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hirayuki posted:

But Japan is also big on ginkgo in public plantings, and the fruit smells like vomit--like, they literally have the butyro-whatever compound that gives vomit its characteristic smell. In Kyoto they trim the trees into oblivion before they can fruit, but not in Tokyo. In Tokyo, you're walking by these majestic living fossil trees on constant lookout for non-existent barf puddles.

When I was in college there was an area where they had planted a bunch of ginkgo trees. It was explained to me that they accidentally planted female trees, instead of the preferred male trees which don’t make the smelly seeds. I guess not all trees have male and female versions. Ginkgoes do though and it matters which one you get.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Fun fact: Ginkgoes (and cycads) have motile sperm.

Almost every other plant uses pollen tubes to guide sperm to their female reproductive organs. Ginkgoes have swimmers.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Ginkgoes do though and it matters which one you get.

They’ve been known to spontaneously change sex, so scrupulously planting only male trees doesn’t completely solve the problem.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 13:16 on Jun 1, 2021

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
pairs well with the current thread title:

Captain Invictus posted:

another day, another annihilated toilet

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ashcans posted:

How bad is running? There was a dude who ran so hard he died, and all the runners chose to celebrate that guy, presumably because he was 100% done with running and would never have to again.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Johnny Truant posted:

i had a furby as a kid, and one time i dropped it on its head at just the right angle to gently caress it up. it started making these terrible grinding and whining noises while every motor in it went off at once so its eyes were opening and closing and moving side to side while its ears were twitching and it's mouth was opening and closing.

i shoved a pillow over top of it and punched it until it stopped.

i remember this incident too often, like drat furbies were hosed up but that furby didn't deserve that

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

prisoner of waffles posted:

Look at me. I am the cost-plus system integrator now

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

It seems that he did not understand the law of the sea because we were able to obtain a writ for “piracy on the high seas” and the US Coastguard went out and nailed it to the mast. They took possession of the boat and towed it into Hilo.

lol owned

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Haha

quote:

We were already somewhat alarmed when the pictures of it setting off showed that the boat was barely visible under the large pile of steel lashed to its deck. After several weeks had passed with no word, investigations revealed that the boat had actually gone to Holland and loaded up with an additional cargo of high explosives.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Wow, where was this quote from?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

It’s from the East Asian Observatory’s history page linked in the tweet above.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

My takeaway is ner trust anyone who owns a boat.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

As someone who may or may not own a boat, I agree.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
A favorite from an ancient thread:

"a guy shoots his hunting buddy by accident. frantically he calls 911 and tells the operator that his friend is probably dead and asks what he should do. the operator says, "Is this granos?"

the man says "yes"

"well you've called the right number" says the operator""

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

One More Fat Nerd posted:

"a guy shoots his hunting buddy by accident. frantically he calls 911 and tells the operator that his friend is probably dead and asks what he should do. the operator says, "Is this granos?"

the man says "yes"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TYv2PhG89A

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Platystemon posted:

It’s from the East Asian Observatory’s history page linked in the tweet above.

Yeah, that. Sorry thought I was in the original thread where that was posted.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

One More Fat Nerd posted:

the man says "yes"

if you meet Granos in the road, call the loving police

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Vitruvian Maam posted:

Can't post anymore due to trolls. gently caress you all in your stupid asses

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Imagine posting here for 9 years and then leaving in tears 'due to trolls'. Mental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

https://twitter.com/dril/status/549425182767861760?s=20