Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Has anyone else been having trouble charging their watch lately? Both my wife and I have had trouble starting this last week, both in WatchOS 7.5.

As if this last week I’ve seen an “accessory not supported” message once or twice. I’ve been noticing excessive battery drain, and thought I was just using it more than usual or something - but now I suspect it’s just not charging properly.

We’re both using separate Apple chargers, straight from out of the box from our watches, and we’ve never had trouble before.

I had one occasion the other week where I woke up and my watch wasn’t charged even though it was sitting on the (official) charging puck plugged into the same power brick I was charging my iPhone off of, which was fully charged. I don’t recall seeing any error messages about it though and it was only that one time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Every once in a while my watch won't charge even though it's got the charging icon. Using an official cable. A restart of the watch takes care of it.

edit: Regarding third party bands. I have yet to come across one that 'feels' as good as the official ones. I had a similar experience with a MagSafe case for my iPhone 12. I'm at the point now where I don't even waste my time with third party cases and bands anymore. Not worth it.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I got 3 or 4 knock-off milanese loop bands on amazon and I don’t think I’m particularly hard on watch bands but they all fell apart within 6-9 months. I got the official Apple milanese loop band about a year and a half ago and it still looks/feels exactly like it did when I opened the box. The prices aren’t good, but, it’s Apple, I knew what to expect going in, and since it looks like my main choices are “cheap knockoffs that fall apart” or “official bands that cost too much but are quite good” I’ll end up sticking with the latter. I’m sure some bands are in the middle of those two options but I haven’t seen them.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Edit, wrong thread.

Don't get them from Amazon, get them from the Amazon sellers' source, Aliexpress, where they are absurdly cheap.

Sports loops especially have good knockoffs.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The sport bands I got from AliExpress were great and $4-5 I think. The silicone iPhone cases I got were also a few bucks but those were junk with visible mold lines and mistakes. So YMMV.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Any recommended AliExpress vendors? It’s a crapshoot sometimes so if someone has had good luck it would be good to know.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem
I've broken something like 4 knock-off sport loop bands so far. My job is kinda hard on them I guess, but the connectors keep falling apart on me. Never had that happen with official ones.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

cryptoclastic posted:

Any recommended AliExpress vendors? It’s a crapshoot sometimes so if someone has had good luck it would be good to know.

I've had good luck with Urvoi, https://urvoisz.aliexpress.com/store/1799101 I've had sport loops, link bracelet, braided solo loop, milanese loop and braided solo loop knockoffs from them. The sports loop and the link bracelet are especially good, I went for the cheaper link bracelet where you need to use a tool to remove links, would reccomend.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Red_Fred posted:

Anyone know why my FaceID unlock is not working when wearing a mask now? Was working fine two days ago.

After rebooting my phone and watch it worked to unlock the phone at first but wouldn’t open any other things and then stopped altogether.

I tried turning it on and off in the phone and watch as well. I’ve also yet to update the watch to 7.5 yet, not sure if it’s that.

I’ve had issues if one of the two items wasn’t in the same Wi-Fi network or failed to login to the same network. Check your network settings on both.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

This years pride loop is awesome but I only realised it won't be compatible with my series 2, ah well. Was planning on maybe upgrading this year.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ijyt posted:

This years pride loop is awesome but I only realised it won't be compatible with my series 2, ah well. Was planning on maybe upgrading this year.

It should be? The lugs are the same size, they just don't list the old sizes even though they work fine

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah I don't think there's any reason it wouldn't be compatible. I thought all the Watch bands have been compatible as long as you stick with the same size out of the larger/smaller of the two sizes.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
From Apple when you click on band compatibility:

quote:

You can match most bands with any Apple Watch Series 3 or newer case of the same size. (For Apple Watch Series 3, the 40mm band works with the 38mm case; the 44mm band works with the 42mm case.)

The Solo Loop and Braided Solo Loop bands are only compatible with Apple Watch SE and Apple Watch Series 4 or newer. Bands will only fit the selected case size and are not compatible with other case sizes. For example, a size 5 for a 40mm case does not work with a 44mm case, and vice versa.
And from this overview:

quote:

One note though is these have a slightly tapered lug to them which makes them only compatible with the redesigned Apple Watch, meaning it will fit the Series 4, Series 5, and Series 6, but not the Series 3 and earlier.
I remember there being difference but mechanically things could still lock in, it was a cosmetic issue where the difference showed. I can't tell if they actually tried it, but finally found someone that did:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/ixbmf0/does_it_work_braded_single_loop_on_series_2/

Semi related, found this while searching for that stuff, silicon solo loops breaking for some people:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252157087

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Huh, interesting.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I didn't realise that, so my knockoff braided solo loop was actually the only way to get one on my S3, i couldn't have got the apple one.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The “it looks like you are doing a swimming workout” prompt is pretty amazing, except how you can’t press the button to start the workout when the screen is wet.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

smackfu posted:

The “it looks like you are doing a swimming workout” prompt is pretty amazing, except how you can’t press the button to start the workout when the screen is wet.

I surf with my watch and use an app to track it as exercise and stats. It loving sucks every time I get out of the water and spend ages trying to blow my finger and watch dry to end the drat session. :argh:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
„Hey Siri end workout“?

Also for the automatic start, doesn’t it start it anyway if you ignore the prompt, recording all along? I haven’t used the auto start feature in forever because it’d always trigger for walks or stuff I don’t track

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

So I got the Nike Pride edition band and the applet where you scan it and get the watch face doesn't work, says it's not supported (for my non-nike watch I presume). lol gently caress you too tim

It's pretty sweet and seems reflective too, though!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I got my loop pride band early and yeah it fits on my Series 2 no problem, the fit test print out got it perfect.

There's a tiny sliver of the clasps sticking out but it's barely noticeable, and the band is absolutely gorgeous.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Zwille posted:

„Hey Siri end workout“?

Also for the automatic start, doesn’t it start it anyway if you ignore the prompt, recording all along? I haven’t used the auto start feature in forever because it’d always trigger for walks or stuff I don’t track

I've never had any luck with it auto-starting and keeping everything prior to that point. It got so annoying I just turned the option off and relied on starting everything manually.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Zwille posted:

„Hey Siri end workout“?

Does this work with third party apps?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Zwille posted:

So I got the Nike Pride edition band and the applet where you scan it and get the watch face doesn't work, says it's not supported (for my non-nike watch I presume). lol gently caress you too tim

It's pretty sweet and seems reflective too, though!

Yeah, the Nike Pride watch face are exclusive to the Nike watches. The Pride Solo Loop watch face can be used with any watch.

Edit: forgot to add, the Nike bands all have reflective threads woven throughout them. They work pretty well too.

jabro fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 2, 2021

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Huh, interesting.

Ehhhhh....Don't get me wrong, I love my official braided solo loop, but they don't seem to quite fit as nicely as the "official" pictures portray. I have an S6 40mm, and there's a visible gap on my strap that isn't present on any other strap. They're comfy but I feel like on smaller sizes the QA slipped...or maybe its a JIIT Inventory thing.

I did order one size too small. The sizey-paper thing says I'm a 6 and I went with 5, so that might be it (I like my watch straps snug, ok?).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ha, the paper said I was an 8. Had to exchange that for a 7 that ended up being too big as well. Got a 6, and after a few workouts it’s a little loose.

These loops are a great idea but the sizing is awful and they seem to stretch within a few weeks, especially if you work out.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Funny thing about the AliExpress ones, they don't use the Apple sizing. They just have the usual S/M/L/XL sizes. I forget which ones I ordered, I think medium and large just cause I was in the middle of their stated ranges (and cause they were like $2). I'll find out how they fit in...however many weeks when they get here.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The paper thing worked perfectly for me, made sure that the paper was tight and it put me in between a 6 and a 7. The 6 is a perfect fit, if marginally tighter than I'd pull the sports loop, but as it's elastic I'd assume it'll loosen a little bit as I wear it.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yea I got like a 7 too from the tool and it’s a little loose, my flatmate‘s 6 fits perfectly.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Nice to see that WatchOS 8 is still going to support the Series 3. It’s probably not going to get all the new features but I won’t have to replace my watch yet.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

im on the net me boys posted:

Nice to see that WatchOS 8 is still going to support the Series 3. It’s probably not going to get all the new features but I won’t have to replace my watch yet.

It’s good to see the 3 get updates still but my condolences to those that have one because that update process really sucks.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
As a series 3 owner I am very unhappy with the update process and I am waiting for the next series to come out to immediately replace this thing.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I had the good fortune of getting the cellular model so I don’t have to do the unpairing poo poo. They should really automate the process for people with the low memory 3 models

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I have a series 4 and haven't really seen anything on the newer models that is pushing me to upgrade. Can't even think of what I would want on a series 7 to jump other than if my battery life starts to tank.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m sure this could never happen for a few reasons but gently caress it would be awesome if the watch could store RFID tags. Like for my gym and poo poo.

I know like no workplaces would allow you to use it but it could be handy.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I guess anything more innovative other than that walking steadiness crap will require waiting for the AW7 release in fall. The closing page of the presentation highlighted blood glucose highlights separate from the lab results highlights. You'd think that'd be practically the same. I guess there's maybe something to those rumors of a blood glucose sensor. When's the GW4 due? Before or after the AW7? If Samsung rushes it to market, if it exists, I guess the AW7 will have it, too.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Blood glucose measurement isn’t part of a CBC. At least it’s never been part of mine.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
This is from Apple's iOS 15 feature page:

6. Available only in the U.S.

Are there any CGM that work with Apple Health so far?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Are there any CGM that work with Apple Health so far?

Dexcom dumps data into Health, so technically yes. But nothing uses it and it really bloats the database because it's a data point every five minutes.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
~$2.50 AliExpress pride band on S3 if anyone was curious:

So the lugs are a bit different from the official braided solo loops (going by the one posted earlier). Not sure if the extra lip extension matches the newer bodies or not yet, they look slightly uneven but shouldn't affect anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Any general recommendations for carriers? We're getting a Series 6 for my wife and an SE for our nine year old son (want him to have a way to communicate with us and also potentially track him places like amusement parks, but without a full rear end phone that can be lost or more distracting). We're moving back from Germany to the states soon, by default I would probably go with Cricket or Mint or some other cheap-ish MVNO, but I understand options are more limited if you're gonna have an Apple Watch.