Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Don’t forget “feeling of impending doom”.
well how the gently caress is anyone here supposed to make the distinction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Australian newspaper front page yesterday:

(The Northern Territory is pretty much Australia's version of Alabama/Florida)

Platystemon posted:

My Lovely Horse posted:

well how the gently caress is anyone here supposed to make the distinction

"Impending" means it might potentially occur in the future, the pandemic is ongoing doom :eng101:

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

Platystemon posted:

That’s officially a potential vaccine side effect because anything that triggers an allergic reaction can do it.

I had that for about a minute after dose #2 combined with heart racing and a little bit of dizziness, but I have an anxiety disorder. It felt like a mild panic attack coming on more than anything else. I started breathing exercises and the feeling passed quickly. :shrug:

I took Xanax before dose #1 because needle phobia and didn't feel like I was going to die so who knows if it was anxiety or a mild allergic reaction.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Some good news, my country has had the first day since (checks notes) late last summer with no deaths reported for a day.
Actually a bit less sarcastically, I'm glad that the main complaint about the vaccine I hear right now is people not being able to get an appointment early enough. And there are less totally antivaxx shitheads in my surrounding friendship circle than I previously worried. The worst ones are hemming and hawing for uniformed reasons, but those will probably get it in the end cause as soon as the vaccine certificate gets online they don't want to get tested for every little activity.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Australian newspaper front page yesterday:

(The Northern Territory is pretty much Australia's version of Alabama/Florida)

"Impending" means it might potentially occur in the future, the pandemic is ongoing doom :eng101:

Australian media doesn't gently caress around... Canada's approach is to talk about how we are just around the corner from getting where we need to be. I think our approach is working somewhat, but the Australian approach seems much more satisfying.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

learnincurve posted:

Apologies, it’s Propylene Glycol.

Edit: that’s not another name for PEG btw

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol

This is the section on adverse reactions to PG being injected “Responses may include CNS depression, "hypotension, bradycardia, QRS and T abnormalities on the ECG, arrhythmia, cardiac arrhythmias, seizures, agitation, serum hyperosmolality, lactic acidosis, and haemolysis"

the amount of propylene glycol in a vaccine is miniscule versus the amount one needs to inject intravenously to get any of those (although it's still possible to - very rarely - have an anaphylactic reaction to it or other components of the vaccine).

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Platystemon posted:

That’s officially a potential vaccine side effect because anything that triggers an allergic reaction can do it.

Fashionably Great posted:

I had that for about a minute after dose #2 combined with heart racing and a little bit of dizziness, but I have an anxiety disorder. It felt like a mild panic attack coming on more than anything else. I started breathing exercises and the feeling passed quickly. :shrug:

I took Xanax before dose #1 because needle phobia and didn't feel like I was going to die so who knows if it was anxiety or a mild allergic reaction.

We both had a brief moment of lightheadedness about 5 hours after the shot (Pfizer) that struck me as something someone could interpret really poorly if they weren't watching for vaccine symptoms. It came and went quickly but I could see someone panicking over it and getting themselves into a state.

In other news, the other day I had a mild reaction to something I ate (just a stuffy nose) and had interrupted sleep and nonsensical anxiety dreams that night and now I wonder if that was part of the allergic reaction too... interesting.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
The restaurant I work at is now allowing vaccinated employees to work unmasked, even when customer facing. Do we need to show proof of said vaccination? Nope.

Thank you everyone for helping defeat Covid!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Chief McHeath posted:

The restaurant I work at is now allowing vaccinated employees to work unmasked, even when customer facing. Do we need to show proof of said vaccination? Nope.

Thank you everyone for helping defeat Covid!

But the health inspector will demand hair nets because who knows what the ladies could catch from a hair at their after church lunch?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
It was so nice to have a friend let me hug her the other day because we are both fully vaxed. I mean I have a husband but I can't just have friendly hugs with him because those mean sexy hugs to come after.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
So Canada's taken the strategy of getting everybody their first dose as fast as possible and only giving second doses to the most at risk demographics, I wonder how it'll pan out since nobody else seems to be doing it. What's encouraging is that we're about to hit 60% and I'm still waitlisted for a first dose, there's still plenty of demand. Hopefully people actually go for their second dose when that starts to open up in the next couple weeks.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Stink Billyums posted:

So Canada's taken the strategy of getting everybody their first dose as fast as possible and only giving second doses to the most at risk demographics, I wonder how it'll pan out since nobody else seems to be doing it. What's encouraging is that we're about to hit 60% and I'm still waitlisted for a first dose, there's still plenty of demand. Hopefully people actually go for their second dose when that starts to open up in the next couple weeks.

The the comparative graph of Canada's 1st and 2nd doses over time really stands out from most the crowd. Finland's rollout was somewhat similar.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-02/charting-australias-covid-vaccine-rollout/13197518?nw=0

You can also see where quite a few countries were delaying a lot of their second doses and then suddenly started ramping them up a few months ago, the UK most obviously

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I don't think there'll be any real problems with people dodging their second doses. Everyone I know is desperate to get their second moved up ASAP if anything.

Which is probably going to be real necessary what with the early stuff coming out of the UK showing that while two doses is still real effective against the Indian/Delta variant, one dose is...not. Like 35% effective or so vs. 88% with two doses.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
So today I learned that I am now able to book a vaccine appointment since my age bracket opened up on the other side of the country. So, I could snag an appointment on ... oh. Early morning on the 22nd of June. A 4-hour drive from here... And they would automatically book me for the second dose at the same clinic, late this summer.

Hm ...

Cost of renting a car and gas, skipping basically a day of work ... I'm still tempted.

Yeah they will open my age bracket locally at some point but at this pace, it looks like mid-July at the earliest.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 2, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
U.K. is massively out of date on that. Infection rates basically look like / but hospital admissions and deaths are holding steady.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I don't think there'll be any real problems with people dodging their second doses. Everyone I know is desperate to get their second moved up ASAP if anything.

Yeah same, I have yet to meet a Canadian who isn't eager for their second dose. Mine is 6 weeks away and I'm counting them down.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

https://twitter.com/DLeonhardt/status/1400063091245731843?s=20

Looks like the masks off mandate was pretty on the mark.

Also we're at 52% fully vaccinated today.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Vorik posted:

https://twitter.com/DLeonhardt/status/1400063091245731843?s=20

Looks like the masks off mandate was pretty on the mark.

Also we're at 52% fully vaccinated today.

Show me testing rates being the same as they were in early May and I'll concede it's probably more chill than I think it is.

And isn't that just the adult rate?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Show me testing rates being the same as they were in early May and I'll concede it's probably more chill than I think it is.

This line of thinking has essentially the same problem as when people were claiming that cases were only rising in the fall because tests were going up.

Falling testing rates do not cause the decline on their own. When fewer people are sick, fewer people get tested. When more people are sick, more get tested.

You can tell where you are testing wise based on how the positivity rate changes. If tests are falling, but positivity rate skyrockets, you're missing more cases than you were before. If tests are falling, but the positivity rate is steady or declining, you're still catching the same share of cases or more than you were before.

Currently the positivity rate is declining and has been for some time.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Has anyone been back to the gyms yet?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

pro starcraft loser posted:

The souped up HVAC? Getting a treadmill under a vent has never been better.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

And isn't that just the adult rate?

Yeah the 52% figure is 18+. It’s 41% overall.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Cthulu Carl posted:

I got pegged when I got vaxxed?

Well now I'm *really* pissed off about getting fobbed off with the AZ.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

wilderthanmild posted:

Falling testing rates do not cause the decline on their own.

This is literally the bullshit Trump was saying last year that we lambasted him for and now it's okay because-?

I hope testing is still up, positive rates are crashing, and that lines up with this. I have two dying dogs and it would be great to drown my sorrows safely at disney world when the inevitable happens, without a mask and all that other poo poo.

Big City Drinkin posted:

Yeah the 52% figure is 18+. It’s 41% overall.

41% is still somethin' better than we were and didn't moderna just dive in for full approval? if so, woohoo.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

This is literally the bullshit Trump was saying last year that we lambasted him for and now it's okay because-?

I think that the critique of Trump was that he was discouraging testing because lower test rates resulted in (an inaccurate and artificially) lower total case count. If you only conduct 5000 tests a day, you'll never show more than 5000 new Covid cases a day!

That's notably different from positivity rates though. If actual infection rates were rising, it would make sense to assume that a lower number of tests would result in an increased positivity rate (assuming of course that most people being tested are being tested because they have reason to assume they were exposed/infected). The fact that that's not happening is heartening.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

For 2 and a half months, yes. And I’m almost back to squatting and deadlifting my body weight again. :D

I still haven’t lost any weight in more than a year though. :(

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I got tested three times when COVID was at its peak in my area. Each time was because a close contact of mine got COVID and I knew I was exposed. I haven't been tested since January because nobody I know has contracted it or became sick since then. Plus I've been vaccinated for six months. Why would you expect people to keep testing when they have no reason to?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It's not at all though. The logic I used in the post is the same logic I'd used against Trumpers saying cases were only going up because tests were going up last fall.

The argument Trump and chuds were making was that more tests means more cases while completely ignoring other context like positivity rate indicating they were not even keeping up. The bit you posted about testing in your first essentially follows the same logic and I was trying to give context around how you can tell if testing numbers are impacting case numbers by using positivity rate.

I really don't appreciate the Trump comparison. It feels like a lazy cheapshot, especially when I made a clear and reasoned post about why I don't think declining overall tests are an issue.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Stink Billyums posted:

I really wish Norway did something similar, it's incredibly frustrating to see the news about them shuffling vaccines between counties, and doing stuff like pushing 25-40 year olds to the back of the queue (because apparently it's critical that 18-24 year olds can party this summer?), all the meanwhile the amount of people with first-doses is plateauing because 80%+ of the vaccines are purely going towards second-doses.

Considering the giant leap in immunity from 0 to 1 dose, compared to 1 to 2, you'd think they'd want to get as close to 100% first doses asap to stamp down on community spread.
Healthcare and the oldest got fast-lined to 2-doses and that's understandable, but that was also early this spring. (You can see the plateau in the graph, once healthcare and carers were topped up, second doses plateaued off.)

For ref, our population is roughly ~5.4 million. So we're sitting at roughly ~1/3rd of the population with 1 dose, and basically like 2/3rds of the vaccinated have both doses.
(The numbers aren't separate, it's not ~1.7 million + 1.1million, it's 1.7 million with 1 dose, of which roughly 1.1 million have both.)

We've just basically stopped at ~30% vax rate for now. Even though we could easily have been closer to 50%. It's just depressing.
I probably won't even get an offer for a dose until july-august, I was supposed to get an offer sometime now in june, but that's of course been postponed when they started prioritizing 18-24 year olds over 25-40 year olds.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Finally got my first shot!
Also it was surprise AstraZeneca. Arm got a bit sore but now it's kinda gone.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

SubNat posted:

I probably won't even get an offer for a dose until july-august, I was supposed to get an offer sometime now in june, but that's of course been postponed when they started prioritizing 18-24 year olds over 25-40 year olds.

1st vs second doses notwithstanding, I'm kind of split about this last thing you mentioned. (Hi there fellow middle-aged person.)

On the surface of it, yeah it sucks to get passed over for the youngs, after being passed over for the olds already. And there's no way a 20-year old is more "deserving" than the 30-year-old.

But isn't there an argument to be made that the 18-24 group is hit harder by having to isolate, since they are mostly still in school/college/university, or working service-sector jobs where they are exposed a lot? While us 30+ are more likely to already be self-isolating successfully with remote knowledge work etc - and also more likely to be in steady relationships with someone to support us. Not having read the Norwegian news at all, I would guess that that kind of reasoning would motivate that switcheroo.

I mean, in a perfect world there would not be age-based rollout past 55 or wherever the cutoff for higher risk of death is. It would be given to anyone who isn't able to self-isolate, first. Then of course, I would have to wait until bloody Christmas for my own shot, since I neatly check all the boxes for "this person is fine already" so I'm throwing stones in my own glass house here.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 2, 2021

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

I. M. Gei posted:

I got a thing in the mail today...

... AND YOU CAN, TOO!

https://www.immunaband.com/

(note that the price of the name bracelet went up by $5 since the time I ordered mine)

I really want a covid vaccine cock ring. Not vaccinated by the way.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
They want to do the college age kids because they are drunken morons OP. Reason the UK is still sticking to the age plan is because by September all adults should be vaccinated anyway

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

I help look after my grandma and I'm booked in for a Pfizer in just over a week.

My folks are hesitant because they think the AZ they are earmarked to have is going to magically kill them, and grandma doesn't want one either because her relatives spread uninformed nonsense through Greek migrant networks.

Locked down for my birthday for another year, but there's a silver lining I guess. :smith:

I'm tired, we're (the world) all so tired of this, and Australia has gotten off fairly lightly in comparison.

fappenmeister fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 2, 2021

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I can get my second shot as soon as June 28 :toot: and can get whatever's in stock

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

(I'm actually just a bit above the cutoff, hence why it's extra annoying.)
To be honestly I'm more bummed about the 1st vs 2nd dose issue, since without the incredibly skewed distribution the 18-24 slipping ahead in line wouldn't really be as much of an issue.

Your arguments are good and valid, but the thing that grates me a lot more is that if they gave a poo poo about their mental wellbeing, they would have been prioritized earlier.
(Hell, the government's made sure that the school year has been as lovely as humanly possible for them by constantly pushing them between in-school and remote learning at the drop of a hat, which seems like it's been hell on both students and teachers.)
It just feels blatantly gross that they suddenly slip forwards in the queue... purely to drive the tourist + restaurant economy now that everything is opening up again.
Jump back a few weeks and they couldn't give less of a poo poo about the highschool-to-college aged kids. But the second restaurants need warm bodies to put on the first line of defence, suddenly they're a priority.
There's a lot of tensions from students and teachers about how there's still not really much leniency for the upcoming graduating exams for highschoolers.
And it seems like a lot of them are going to get burned by being sick, or even just going into quarantine, and possibly needing to wait an entire extra year to enter college due to it. (unless said colleges are lenient about it.)

I guess it's just a lot of mixed layers to it, and it's easy for me to seem like I'm making GBS threads on the kids when I'm complaining about this.
It's all just such cynical bullshit, and it's exhausting. I'm still waiting for my 60+ year old dad to get a shot, any shot. But hey, all the doses are going towards second-shots, and to the people they'll push into being the front lines as everything opens up. :smith:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

For a month now, the prices literally doubled to account for people limits and extra cleaning / hygiene measures.

The gym is probably the cleanest that has ever been with everyone spray cleaning equipment twice, the place getting cleaned frequently and all windows being open with ventilation at max.

I'm self employed so I can just book like 4 p.m. slot to avoid post-work crowd and use the benches/squat racks but it gets kinda (like, 10 odd people maybe) crowded during 5-7 p.m. period

It made wonders to my mental and physical health, both took a beating during the lockdown so I just appreciate the UK publics vaccine acceptance and NHS vaccine rollout.:shobon:

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/intelligencer/status/1400093880482156550?s=20

The observations are around 1 in 50,000 general pop, 1 in 5,000 16-24, heavily weighted towards men. Observations, not proven correlation.

Booked in for Pfizer #1 on Saturday. cool cool cool.

blunt fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 2, 2021

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
How necessary is it for me to go get another vaccine, in regards to protecting against variants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Sjs00 posted:

How necessary is it for me to go get another vaccine, in regards to protecting against variants

we don't know yet and probably won't for a while, but the hope is that you won't have to.