Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol that's a stunningly bad set of decisions. Really good read.

The weird thing is that people in the UK still use Hoover as a generic term for vacuum cleaner , 30 years on from when the brand was utterly destroyed by this insane stupidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I like the dude that blocked in a Hoover delivery van with his horse truck for a full fortnight until the courts intervened.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I'm guessing it's a truck for hauling horses in trailers, but the alternative definition of "horse truck" is far more appealing.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Thinkgn of that time a guy sued pepsi for not giving him a harrier jumpjet even though he collected the roughly 700 billion pep-coins required by the advertisement that was clearly a joke.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Volcott posted:

Thinkgn of that time a guy sued pepsi for not giving him a harrier jumpjet even though he collected the roughly 700 billion pep-coins required by the advertisement that was clearly a joke.

No he collected a handful and then wrote a check

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Then he is even less deserving of the jet airplane than I thought.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Checking out the story, the ruling is actually kind of hilarious? It contains the lines "The teenager's comment that flying a Harrier Jet to school 'sure beats the bus' evinces an improbably insouciant attitude toward the relative difficulty and danger of piloting a fighter plane in a residential area" and "No school would provide landing space for a student's fighter jet, or condone the disruption the jet's use would cause," which makes me think the judge was having some fun with it. But yeah, he only had 15 points, ten bucks for shipping and handing, a check for $700,000 that Pepsi couldn't cash unless they were willing to give him a Harrier jet.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

smellmycheese posted:

This probably deserves a place here. Probably the most catastrophic customer promotion of all time

https://thehustle.co/the-worst-sales-promotion-in-history/

I think the executives who came up with the promotion should've had to pay for people's flights out of their own pockets.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Volcott posted:

On the other hand if you're a big company making a joke offer like that and don't think some wise-rear end will go for it, that's on you.

smellmycheese posted:

This probably deserves a place here. Probably the most catastrophic customer promotion of all time

https://thehustle.co/the-worst-sales-promotion-in-history/
I'm a fan of the part where they ran their plan by risk management professionals, the professionals shat their pants at just how terrible of an idea it was, and Hoover went ahead and did it anyway.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Haifisch posted:

I'm a fan of the part where they ran their plan by risk management professionals, the professionals shat their pants at just how terrible of an idea it was, and Hoover went ahead and did it anyway.

That was my favorite too. Such a perfect opportunity to bail out of the scheme but they just doubled down on it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
isnt Contest/promo/sweepstake/whatever Law a distant 2nd place to Tree Law in terms of of legit voodoo law magic and potential schadenfreude.

PhazonLink has a new favorite as of 01:18 on Jun 1, 2021

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Please enjoy this car advert from a mere 21 years ago

https://twitter.com/ukads3/status/1399615686566100993

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

smellmycheese posted:

Please enjoy this car advert from a mere 21 years ago

https://twitter.com/ukads3/status/1399615686566100993
That actor played exactly that kind of dick in the BBC sitcom Coupling that came out in 2000, so I'm assuming it ties in with that. Everyone in the series is clearly a caricature and an unbearable person in some way or another. So you are supposed to read him as a misogynistic tory prick that is obsessed with car specs and mock him for the former while respecting the latter.

Not saying it works or that it hasn't aged like milk even with the context.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Flipperwaldt posted:

That actor played exactly that kind of dick in the BBC sitcom Coupling that came out in 2000, so I'm assuming it ties in with that. Everyone in the series is clearly a caricature and an unbearable person in some way or another. So you are supposed to read him as a misogynistic tory prick that is obsessed with car specs and mock him for the former while respecting the latter.

Not saying it works or that it hasn't aged like milk even with the context.

It feels like there's a punchline missing, something like a woman pulling alongside and explaining how the powersteering control works before absolutely trashing him in a drag race or something.

And now I'm sad remembering how disappointing the final season of Coupling was. :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Skittles brought back their colorless pride bag for 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Taste the ennuiTM

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It's honestly kind of impressive watching the internet sour on it more and more each year

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What kind of psycho puts a skittle in their mouth without knowing the flavor

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

What kind of psycho puts a skittle in their mouth

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My thoughts exactly. Skittles are custom-tailored to sinal absorption.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Brawnfire posted:

My thoughts exactly. Skittles are custom-tailored to anal absorption.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

What kind of psycho puts a skittle in their mouth without knowing the flavor

How about a mixed handful of them :doit:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Too bad they don't make colorless M&Ms, can throw those in and go for pure evil. :evilbuddy:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Zil posted:

Too bad they don't make colorless M&Ms, can throw those in and go for pure evil. :evilbuddy:

You can get white M&M's.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

The correct way to eat Skittles is to pour out the package, dispose of the green apple ones, group them all in accordance to color, and then eat them in the same order as the color's of the rainbow.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I just dump in the whole bag :frogc00l:

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

The correct way to eat Skittles is to pour out the package, dispose of the green apple ones, group them all in accordance to color, and then eat them in the same order as the color's of the rainbow.

Whomever decided that they should switch from lime to green apple should have killed by a firing squad

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Gaius Marius posted:

You can get white M&M's.

You spelled Lemon wrong

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

DoubleT2172 posted:

Whomever decided that they should switch from lime to green apple should have killed by a firing squad

It feels like there was a weird purge of lime flavor in favor of green apple in a lot of candies a while back and I've never understood why. Green apple seems like one of those flavors that candy makers can't do a good job with, it always tastes a lot sharper than other flavors in a way that doesn't go together with them.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I noticed that too. My guess is the flavoring agent for “green apple” is much cheaper than the one for “lime”

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They should have replaced green apple with blue raspberry rather than replacing lemon for it in Jolly Ranchers. The green apple flavor makes my throat feel weird and gives me a strange cough, that nothing else does.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/Skittles/status/1395105197798658050
Meanwhile, in weirdly coincidental timing :homebrew:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I hate that so much. Dumbass company tries to appear relatable by talking about interns not being paid while pointing out the company itself perpetuates that system. I loving hate brand twitter

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Every brand’s Twitter account:

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

DoubleT2172 posted:

I used to meet with Wrigley reps fairly regularly at industry trade shows and kept telling them this (in somewhat gentler terms.)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Gaius Marius posted:

You can get white M&M's.

What? No, you pour them out, separate by colour, and make sure there are an equal number of each colour by eating the excess. Then you eat them in groups so there are always equal numbers of each colour left.

Heathen.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Who are y'all that don't eat the entire bag of Skittles or M&Ms in one bite and how haven't you been drummed out of goondom?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

HopperUK posted:

What? No, you pour them out, separate by colour, and make sure there are an equal number of each colour by eating the excess. Then you eat them in groups so there are always equal numbers of each colour left.

Heathen.

The tagline is literally "Taste the Rainbow" The clear authorial intent behind the act of consuming skittles is to taste them in the order inherent to a rainbow. By consuming the Excess you're robbing yourself of the intended experience. You've cheated not only yourself, but the work of all the people who worked to create the flavor medium.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I grab a handful of skittles and eat them in order of worst to best, but without eating two of the same flavor consecutively

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Skittles are only good for making Skittlebrau, it's right there in the name!