Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I don't know where you're getting some of those assumptions about the grasp of translators, since by and large the translaton professionals I've found absolutely have an extremely strong grasp on the relevant languages. Maybe if you're going off of like, fansub stuff?

Just to throw out a couple of threads:

https://twitter.com/katrinaltrnsl8r/status/1352312125570445317

https://twitter.com/SarahKTranslate/status/1397638297300529155

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Armored Trooper Votoms is still an underrated franchise. It's still way harder to watch any of it than it ought to be.

Not as hard as it used to be. It and most of the OVA's are on HiDive, and I've got a "complete" collection on Blu Ray.

But Mellowlink is still missing. They must've lost the masters or something.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL
i miss fansubs

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I don't know where you're getting some of those assumptions about the grasp of translators, since by and large the translaton professionals I've found absolutely have an extremely strong grasp on the relevant languages. Maybe if you're going off of like, fansub stuff?

I'm basing it off the fact that I've tried to translate a game myself in my spare time and it's hard enough with no pressure. If I had to do something like that by a short deadline and for bad pay like many people in the industry have to do I'd probably end up cutting corners. There are plenty of cases where getting an accurate translation that captures nuance might not be too bad, but also plenty of cases where you run into a lot of trouble. Doesn't matter if you're the best writer on Earth in Japanese and English, if you get a week to translate 500,000 words it's gonna suck.

Tim Rogers talks about it here - lots of people think that Final Fantasy 7 has a bad translation because it's filled with typos and errors, but the translator (actually turns out it was one guy, Michael Baskett) had to do the entire game by himself under massive pressure, and he did the best he could:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZefYEaNUJ7w

Casey Finnigan has issued a correction as of 20:34 on Jun 2, 2021

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mecha Gojira posted:

Not as hard as it used to be. It and most of the OVA's are on HiDive, and I've got a "complete" collection on Blu Ray.

But Mellowlink is still missing. They must've lost the masters or something.

From what I understand the masters got lost in an earthquake.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

it's not a question of whether or not they have a strong grasp of the language - to go into any career like that no doubt requires someone with fluency and the dexterity to decipher some of the tricky cultural differences or even those occasional concepts/words/terms/etc with no clear 1:1 translation. The translations themselves are often very good these days, at least compared to what things used to be like.

it more often comes down how things are localized or edited - there are times when lines can come across as overly formal or even just plain stiff, despite the fact that there is clearly a set of emotions underlying dialogue, narration, etc. Capturing that emotion and intent can be difficult when things come across as being stilted

Not everything can be Yakuza-levels of translating/localizing/editing/etc., but a little bit of adjustments here and there can do wonders to make things sound a bit more realistic or natural in English, imo

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

i miss fansubs

I don't, I remember when fansub groups could be jerks about releasing anime because they wanted to lord it over the masses

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
why do Old Goons still get insanely irrationally mad at the existence of anime. what is so broken in the gen xer brain that causes this

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

why do Old Goons still get insanely irrationally mad at the existence of anime. what is so broken in the gen xer brain that causes this

cultural insecurity and flashbacks to the era of japanese economic dominance

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

cultural insecurity and flashbacks to the era of japanese economic dominance

yeah i had assumed it was like 50~75% orientalism so that makes sense

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Their first exposure to it was seeing a low-res hentai clip 25 years ago and never moved beyond that perception.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Didnt grow up with it and have the cynical streak from that life experience that it has to be for losers, because that was the omnipresent joke in 2004 when the forums were relevant, but now anybody under the age of 30 grew up with anime and like it and talk about it normally, and they havent experienced that so they only know the old joke.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Sharkopath posted:

Didnt grow up with it and have the cynical streak from that life experience that it has to be for losers, because that was the omnipresent joke in 2004 when the forums were relevant, but now anybody under the age of 30 grew up with anime and like it and talk about it normally, and they havent experienced that so they only know the old joke.

i made the mistake of reading the giant bomb thread in rgd and seeing people talk like the way they were was so confusing until i realized they were all Olds

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
As a translator--and this observation holds true for both fan translation and official translation--schedule pressure in terms of doing enough other projects to keep prestige up and mutually beneficial hanger-on bickering going/working enough to keep food on the table is a contributor, but the bigger problem is just the cadence rather than the schedule per se. Every few months you have to acquaint yourself with new groups of characters, don't necessarily have a good voice for them ready, may not have ever known or read that personality before, and your ability to work in your field of expertise is limited by not necessarily being able to put together a group for or not necessarily being in the approved contracting pool of a company that has x title.

The biggest problem, though, is the other aspect of cadence. The reality is that being tapped to translate something you've already fully read in one form or another is an extremely lucky break rather than the default like in literary or film translation, and even in non-phone games you'd be in schedule hell if you put nothing down on paper until a playthrough is finished but you're not faced with "levels 1-6 are locked and shipping as soon as you're done with them, hope nothing you did to normalize a line out to fluent-sounding English conflicts with the villain's speech in level 24." So a lot of things that don't sound quite right slip through because you have to be extremely cautious where you add or remove detail (as a light example, I just submitted something with a vague and frustrating rather than inclusive singular "they" for a side character that was described only by job), along with the things that don't sound quite right which slip through because it's already weekly deadline and there's simply no time to flip through natively English novels or films with the same situation for inspiration.

Sometimes there's at least a final review pass of a bigger chunk, but that's where the working-time pressure, and the assumption that anything that survived that long probably isn't too wrong, make heavy rewriting difficult.

tl;dr anime (manga, digital light novels, GaaS, etc) are a lot closer to live interpretation without notes than traditional translation is.

It's late 90s high school cliques all the way down, and the ur-goon population, as the comedy website of a failed FPS reviewer, is either the class clown who bought not being a freak by being extremely loudly normative or the competitive Quake/UT kid who really wants to think of himself as "the least recognized of the jocks" rather than anything like the dweeb who pretends he's Sephiroth.

Mandoric has issued a correction as of 23:43 on Jun 2, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Armored Trooper Votoms is still an underrated franchise. It's still way harder to watch any of it than it ought to be.

It's a very slow burn, and from what I can remember from watching the first 1/2 of it is all about one man's revenge and a rotating cast of people who end up killed in the process of getting to know him.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Anime has

Only

Gotten

Better

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Cool insight thanks :respek:

I can only imagine how much of a clusterfuck it must be working on those kinds of projects

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

pillsburysoldier posted:

Anime has

Only

Gotten

Better

Well yeah, but I miss that 80s/90s art style anime used to have

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Casey Finnigan posted:

I'm basing it off the fact that I've tried to translate a game myself in my spare time and it's hard enough with no pressure. If I had to do something like that by a short deadline and for bad pay like many people in the industry have to do I'd probably end up cutting corners. There are plenty of cases where getting an accurate translation that captures nuance might not be too bad, but also plenty of cases where you run into a lot of trouble. Doesn't matter if you're the best writer on Earth in Japanese and English, if you get a week to translate 500,000 words it's gonna suck.

Tim Rogers talks about it here - lots of people think that Final Fantasy 7 has a bad translation because it's filled with typos and errors, but the translator (actually turns out it was one guy, Michael Baskett) had to do the entire game by himself under massive pressure, and he did the best he could:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZefYEaNUJ7w

Ff7 remake knew that what people really wanted was near constant twee chatter from your party members

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

it's racism

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Was Mega Man X a cop for siding with humanity?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I wasn't around for it but 2000's ADTRW got bad enough that they had to widescale purge almost the entire board, whose userbase then went and formed 4chan. So goons who were around for those days justifiably hate anime and think its all pedo poo poo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Imagine showing someone any Nickelodeon show from the 00s and then they believe forever that American TV is about childrens' feet.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

Feldegast42 posted:

I wasn't around for it but 2000's ADTRW got bad enough that they had to widescale purge almost the entire board, whose userbase then went and formed 4chan. So goons who were around for those days justifiably hate anime and think its all pedo poo poo

yeah 4chan was basically all the raspberryheaven DC++ dudes

i just got my anime by shitposting in fansub irc channels like a normal person

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Not sure how ya'll got that out of my post but I think you missed my point and/or didn't read/watch the things I posted. My point is there's a lot of TL professionals doing hard work and putting out good, natural dialogue that I don't think it's right to just pretend they don't exist or are just churning stuff out. And doing stuff like finding ways to naturally write around cliches like 'i won't forgive x' or whatnot while still staying in a given character's voice is a big part of that.

To grab one of the linked threads from before, a good bit on the revision process:

https://twitter.com/katrinaltrnsl8r/status/1363565016285286401

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Ff7 remake knew that what people really wanted was near constant twee chatter from your party members

:3:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What I want to know is why Netflix can't get the timing right on their subs for loving anything

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Not sure how ya'll got that out of my post but I think you missed my point and/or didn't read/watch the things I posted. My point is there's a lot of TL professionals doing hard work and putting out good, natural dialogue that I don't think it's right to just pretend they don't exist or are just churning stuff out.

I.....never pretended they don't exist? Nor that there aren't any putting out good dialogue? :confused: just that there are some cases where things can be too much of a 1:1 translation and some time to edit things to be a bit more natural is nice

Going back and reading my post I use "some" and "times" and other quantifiers so not sure how you read that as a blanket statement across all translators

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

And I provided some nice examples of professionals showing exactly how they go about that in more than a few cases?

Like, from what I see, there's a lot of love going into that work, and I give a lot of props to people doing the artform well.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

You seem to be acting like I'm assuming otherwise, I don't know how to make my point any clearer - there are times where I would prefer translations get a bit more editing time but am completely aware of the limitations and realities of the sometimes grueling work of translating stuff for pennies

I really don't know how I can be clearer - im saying that in some cases like my example with HNI, I'd like to see some more time given to making dialogue a bit more natural, im not disregarding the work of translators across the board dude

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Can't believe only one person recommend City Hunter after someone asked for "city pop" recommendations.

like of all the things https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE0xHzgDpU0

that is it.

Personally I am not sure if I would recommend watching it though. It's very long, and there's really no over reaching plot. There's tons of references, homages, and jokes that the animation studio included. It is very much a product of it's time, like city pop, though.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 02:11 on Jun 3, 2021

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

So what's gonna happen to berserk

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

A part of me wants the assistants to just straight up finish it if outlines exist

The other part of me just wants to see said outline and just imagine it in my head

The smaller less selfish part of me would see it die rather than hosed up and ending poorly

(I still prefer the two top choices out of pure greed and desire to see how it ends lol)

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

Personally I am not sure if I would recommend watching it though. It's very long, and there's really no over reaching plot. There's tons of references, homages, and jokes that the animation studio included. It is very much a product of it's time, like city pop, though.

That's not very mokkori of you

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

idk about goons but at least in mainstream american culture there is still unfortunately a lot of association with some of the uglier aspects of fandom. the usual interaction i have when bringing up anime with somebody is along the line of "oh yeah, i like, you know miyazaki and akira but i'm not really into the weeb stuff. i'm not like one of those waifu body pillow guys." fwiw i think it's gotten a lot better in the last 10 years or so but for people who came of age in the 00s that notion is still somewhat prevalent.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

net work error posted:

That's not very mokkori of you

Just because I am dumb enough to watch over one hundred episodes of a guy getting smashed in the head with a hammer for trying to grope women, doesn't mean everyone else should.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

pillsburysoldier posted:

Anime has

Only

Gotten

Better

bold of you to say this when Char's Counterattack was released over thirty years ago

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Just because I am dumb enough to watch over one hundred episodes of a guy getting smashed in the head with a hammer for trying to grope women, doesn't mean everyone else should.

To be fair, he did shoot that grenade that one time and it was cool.

Also the ending owns

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Bootleg Trunks posted:

So what's gonna happen to berserk

they couldn't do it with him, you think they're gonna be able to do it without him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

jokes turned into brainworms

Homeless Friend posted:

they couldn't do it with him, you think they're gonna be able to do it without him?

forever on the boat elf island