Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Cavauro posted:

What's something like the modern XCOM games and also good? Did Phoenix Point ever reach good status?

I burnt out on turn-based tactics a while back, but I still have a wishlist of similiar games. Not sure if they are all worthwhile, but some are apparently pretty well regarded:
Deadnaut
Templar Battleforce
Halfway
Breach and Clear
Frozen Synapse and follow-up Frozen Cortex

Invisible Inc is really drat good, as already mentioned.
Shadow Watch is old but way ahead of its time in terms of design. Really tight squad combat and a procedural campaign that works astonishingly well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I'm looking for Skyrim meets Dishonored, not sure if it exists.

I'm really enjoying all the fast paced movement and vertical options in Dishonored, but I want a more open world to explore.

I also wouldn't mind some interesting momentum based 3d platformers. Like N+ but 3d. Quake surf maps with more polish. Some of the 3d runner genre like Mirrors Edge are OK, but they tend to be pretty on rails.

I just want to mess around with interesting movement in a big open world and explore.

The combat in Dishonored is also really fun. I'm thinking about going back to superhot, but I just want some fun combat that makes you feel cool and stylish.

Recommend me a game with either the combat elements, or the movement elements I'm after.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

eSporks posted:

I'm really enjoying all the fast paced movement and vertical options in Dishonored, but I want a more open world to explore.

I also wouldn't mind some interesting momentum based 3d platformers. Like N+ but 3d. Quake surf maps with more polish. Some of the 3d runner genre like Mirrors Edge are OK, but they tend to be pretty on rails.

I just want to mess around with interesting movement in a big open world and explore.

The combat in Dishonored is also really fun. I'm thinking about going back to superhot, but I just want some fun combat that makes you feel cool and stylish.

Recommend me a game with either the combat elements, or the movement elements I'm after.

play Prey 2017

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

play Prey 2017
I might check it out, but it looks kinda slow.

I want the never stop moving frenetic combat of Doom or Dishonored (when you ignore stealth) with all the fun abilities Dishonored has. Ideally I want an old school arena shooter mixed with an open world RPG. Where you have nearly infinite freedom of movement in a claustrophobic room with crazy abilities that give you options in combat and cool character builds.

Might just go play Doom again. Although it's that melee hit and run style I'm enjoying right now. Maybe I should give shadow warrior another try. I didn't like it the first go around for some reason.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 1, 2021

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

eSporks posted:

I want the never stop moving frenetic combat of Doom or Dishonored (when you ignore stealth) with all the fun abilities Dishonored has. Ideally I want an old school arena shooter mixed with an open world RPG. Where you have nearly infinite freedom of movement in a claustrophobic room with crazy abilities that give you options in combat and cool character builds.

Might just go play Doom again. Although it's that melee hit and run style I'm enjoying right now. Maybe I should give shadow warrior another try. I didn't like it the first go around for some reason.
Shadow of Mordor/War have a lot of cool combat abilities in an open world lite-RPG, admittedly the whole package is a bit more Arkham/Assassin's Creed than Dishonored but the combat is a step up imo

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

eSporks posted:

The open world isn't massive but maybe prototype?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

eSporks posted:

Have you played Titanfall 2? It's mostly a corridor/arena shooter, not an open world, but it's probably the best movement I've ever played in an FPS. It's really creative for a relatively short (singleplayer) game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Splicer posted:

Prototype is great.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

eSporks posted:

Sunset Overdrive, maybe

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

eSporks posted:

Necromunda: Hired Gun basically fits this description. Not a true open world but instead a hub with levels that have secrets and such which you can return to. I know they've got some abilities but I don't know much about them. Movement speed is very quick with a lot of ways to do it and the system rewards pushing forward and getting kills to recoup life. It's an RPG in the sense that you advance and become more powerful over the course of the game.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Thanks for all the recommendations.

gohuskies posted:

Have you played Titanfall 2?
Yes, it was pretty fun.

Splicer posted:

Hwurmp posted:

Sunset Overdrive, maybe
Both of these look good, but I really want first person. I'm trying to scratch my itch of loving arena FPS games, but being too old and slow to play multiplayer ones. I just want to get adrenaline pumping with something that has some replay-ability or longevity.

Play posted:

Necromunda: Hired Gun
This looks pretty fun, like a modern doom clone sorta. Might check it out.

I also stumbled upon two games coming out soon that look cool.
Deathloop Not open world, but made by the same team as dishonored. Seems like a mashup of dishonored and dark souls. A focus on quickplays through randomized levels as you learn enemy locations and adapt your strategy, with a chance for boss fights to be replaced by a live player.

Dying Light 2 Open world parkour FPS melee RPG. Looks fast, and like you can spec your dude for movement options. Looks like exactly what I'm after.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

eSporks posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations.
Yes, it was pretty fun.

Both of these look good, but I really want first person. I'm trying to scratch my itch of loving arena FPS games, but being too old and slow to play multiplayer ones. I just want to get adrenaline pumping with something that has some replay-ability or longevity.
This looks pretty fun, like a modern doom clone sorta. Might check it out.

I also stumbled upon two games coming out soon that look cool.
Deathloop Not open world, but made by the same team as dishonored. Seems like a mashup of dishonored and dark souls. A focus on quickplays through randomized levels as you learn enemy locations and adapt your strategy, with a chance for boss fights to be replaced by a live player.

Dying Light 2 Open world parkour FPS melee RPG. Looks fast, and like you can spec your dude for movement options. Looks like exactly what I'm after.
Oh! Journey to the savage planet, if the humour in it is your thing.

e: also I just found this thing on sale:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1130410/Cyber_Hook/

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 1, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

eSporks posted:

Ultrakill?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Ok.
This looks like it fits the quake surf map with polish thing well. And it's less than :10bux:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Okay - can someone recommend me a grindy hack and slashy-style game to play? I was about to go play through Recettear again because I just like grinding through random dungeons. Another one I was thinking of was like Ys: Origins. I think I played like 8 hours of that in the past. Hell, I like the dungeon fighting in the Dark Cloud games too.

So something in the vein of the dungeon grinding in Recettear, Ys: Origins, and Dark Cloud. Push button. Kill enemy. Repeat. Random dungeons are A+. Roguelike elements also A+.

Edit: the PS2 .Hack games are another example of the style of what I'm looking for.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 3, 2021

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Okay - can someone recommend me a grindy hack and slashy-style game to play? I was about to go play through Recettear again because I just like grinding through random dungeons. Another one I was thinking of was like Ys: Origins. I think I played like 8 hours of that in the past. Hell, I like the dungeon fighting in the Dark Cloud games too.

So something in the vein of the dungeon grinding in Recettear, Ys: Origins, and Dark Cloud. Push button. Kill enemy. Repeat. Random dungeons are A+. Roguelike elements also A+.

Enter the Gungeon is this exactly but as a top down shooter.

Dead Cells is a sidescrolling fast paced dungeon crawler that meets your requirements and is excellent.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mordiceius posted:

Edit: the PS2 .Hack games are another example of the style of what I'm looking for.

What about the other Ys games?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mordiceius posted:

9th Dawn III.

Maybe Kingdom Under Fire, but that's more for the .hack mention.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

Hades

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Mordiceius posted:

I have a soft spot for well-intentioned jank and mostly-heartedly recommend Zombasite, or anything by Soldak Entertainment. Your character can die and come back with a hefty penalty, but the settlement you manage can slowly disintegrate until it collapses permanently, and you fail that world.

If you want something even more fuzzily defined and janky, check out the much-despised A Valley Without Wind--the first one, not the second. It's a soft, meaningless, endless exploration in a wintry dimensional post-apocalypse.

Finally, if you just want to explore a randomly generated cave with not a lot of combat or meaning, check out Miasma Caves.

I generally have the least cool recommendations on this entire thread, I've noticed.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 3, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mordiceius posted:

Have you played any of the Torchlight games? They're diablo-likes, so that means mouse controls by default, but I'm pretty sure they have controller support.

Also seconding Hades, if you don't mind the action being fairly high-intensity.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I wish I liked Hades more than I do.

I played it for probably 10 hours or so. I can admire the craft but it just doesn’t have enough variety for me.

Plus, I’m not really looking for something that’s run-based.

I feel like so many of these classic hack-n-slash games have gone the way of run-based roguelites.

I want to keep getting more powerful and delving into deeper and deeper dungeons.

I’d kill for something like Diablo/Torchlight in the style of a 3rd person action game instead of an isometric game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fear not, Survival Mode is coming to Streets of Rage 4 soon...

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

Warhammer: Mechanicus

Seconding this, plus if you know Warhammer lore its one of the funniest games out there, just legitimately good writing

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

I feel like so many of these classic hack-n-slash games have gone the way of run-based roguelites.

What do you mean by "roguelike elements" then?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Hwurmp posted:

Warhammer: Mechanicus

My only quibble with Mechanicus is that at least on release, there was effectively no cover system in place, and imo that's essential for a turn-based tactics game in XCOM's mold. Otherwise? Hard agree.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

SkyeAuroline posted:

My only quibble with Mechanicus is that at least on release, there was effectively no cover system in place, and imo that's essential for a turn-based tactics game in XCOM's mold. Otherwise? Hard agree.

If it was exactly like XCOM, sure. But it's a very different beast. Having a cover system is pretty non-Warhammer.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

What do you mean by "roguelike elements" then?

I guess I mean more in the vein of proc-gen dungeons. Things like Dark Cloud and .Hack. Even Diablo and Torchlight.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Mordiceius posted:

Okay - can someone recommend me a grindy hack and slashy-style game to play? Kill enemy. Repeat. Random dungeons are A+. Roguelike elements also A+.

Heroes of Hammerwatch?

Mordiceius posted:

I played it for probably 10 hours or so. I can admire the craft but it just doesn’t have enough variety for me.

I want to keep getting more powerful and delving into deeper and deeper dungeons.

I’d kill for something like Diablo/Torchlight in the style of a 3rd person action game instead of an isometric game.

... Well, now I'm not so sure

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

SkyeAuroline posted:

Without cover, it's in X-COM's mold instead of XCOM's :D

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

eSporks posted:

In the same vein, is there anything other than Dishonored that meets the criteria for a modern "Thief-like"? Like not stealth combat, just stealth exploration and sneaky sneaky stealy steals.

My favourite parts of the thief games were exploring houses, dodging guards, and finding shiny things. When it shifts to killing zombies it all goes downhill.

[edit] I do have "Thief Simulator" but I have the VR version and god drat the controls are janky as poo poo lol. It actually is pretty close to what I'm looking for though...

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tagra posted:

In the same vein, is there anything other than Dishonored that meets the criteria for a modern "Thief-like"? Like not stealth combat, just stealth exploration and sneaky sneaky stealy steals.

My favourite parts of the thief games were exploring houses, dodging guards, and finding shiny things. When it shifts to killing zombies it all goes downhill.

[edit] I do have "Thief Simulator" but I have the VR version and god drat the controls are janky as poo poo lol. It actually is pretty close to what I'm looking for though...

I played Styx: Master of Shadows earlier this year and it was ok. Combat against more than one opponent is almost certain death. The sequel appears to be an improvement, but I haven't played that.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Victor Vran is a much more "actiony" approach to the Diablo style game, albeit still isometric. Remnant: From the Ashes gets compared to Souls games but I'd say it's equal amounts "Diablo as a third person action game" with slightly less of a loot focus, it didn't hold my interest for more than an hour but it seems well liked

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
It doesn’t have the forever game appeal, but Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance was just rereleased.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Rising Hell and Getsu Fuma Den are my favorite action roguelites right now. Getsu Fuma Den let's you choose which dungeon you want to try after the first level which is kind of similar. It's also very grindy, upgrades take a while to farm.

It's not piss easy like a lot of hack and slash games are known for but it's not overly difficult either.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Tagra posted:

Have you tried the Hitman games? There's much more of a disguise element, as opposed to just sneaking, but I find they scratch the same itch.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

thekeeshman posted:

Have you tried the Hitman games? There's much more of a disguise element, as opposed to just sneaking, but I find they scratch the same itch.
I still need to finish Hitman 2 but I enjoy how they encourage shamelessly reloading a save/reload to kill a target five different ways and counts all of them when you complete the mission instead of having to do a full replay for every single individual goal :allears:

Just be sure to look backwards and up at the ceiling the second you start carving blowfish because that still can cause three crashes in a row if you are looking directly at the fish when you do it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Recommendations for something chill and happy? Bonus points if it works well with a controller. Just want something to relax with in the evenings.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Fruits of the sea posted:

Recommendations for something chill and happy? Bonus points if it works well with a controller. Just want something to relax with in the evenings.

Just from recent stuff:

I've been playing a game called Stonefly recently and while there is a bit of action there's no killing and nothing is too challenging. Mainly it's just jumping and gliding this little mini mech through different nature areas, brushing bugs off of branches and collecting minerals. Relaxing and fun.

Lacuna is pretty chill, a narrative adventure game with some light detective elements but no moment to moment action.

Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion is quite chill and even a little funny.

Obviously something like Animal Crossing or Hokko Life could work.

Apollo in Outer Space is a very chill little puzzle/platformer

All of those work with controllers as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Fruits of the sea posted:

Slime Rancher