Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

DigitalRaven posted:

Donny Cates is on Hulk.

:ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DigitalRaven posted:

Donny Cates is on Hulk.

:negative:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Al Ewing and Donny Cates straight up switching books with each other is weird.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

DigitalRaven posted:

Donny Cates is on Hulk. My money's on gamma becoming an emanation of Knull in five issues.

Awesome, one less book I have to purchase for my personal collection.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
on the flip side pumped for Ram V/Al Ewing Venom but uh Bryan Hitch would not really be my first choice for art on a Venom book

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

DigitalRaven posted:

Donny Cates is on Hulk. My money's on gamma becoming an emanation of Knull in five issues.

I mean statistically speaking character defining runs are often followed by a period of either mediocrity or outright failure.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

Al Ewing and Donny Cates straight up switching books with each other is weird.

You made me think Ewing was getting Thor and I am now very sad.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

DigitalRaven posted:

Nice to know I'll be saving $4 a month.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so is ewing going to finish this arc, at least?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Is there any other comics writer who's torched their own reputation in as short a time as Cates?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Yeah. Three more issues to hit 50. Hell of a run - I'll miss it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Yes Immortal Hulk is heading to its planned ending at #50.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

Ewing is going to wrap up the story on his terms. About a year ago they announced that #50 would be the last issue of Immortal Hulk.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mulva posted:

I mean statistically speaking character defining runs are often followed by a period of either mediocrity or outright failure.

Ehh, Brubaker on Daredevil after Bendis was good, as was Nocenti after Miller and Seoule and especially Zdarsky after Waid. Whedon was the major X-Men book after Morrison. JRSR taking over for Ditko on Spider-Man was a masterstroke.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ewing venom will probably be the first book by him that i'm gonna skip

why couldn't he have gotten thor instead

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I actually "like" Cates in the "turn off your brain" summer blockbuster mentality, I know it won't be Ewing quality but maybe it won't be so ba

quote:

[Cates and Ottley] will helm a bold new era of Hulk that begins when Bruce Banner discovers a radical way to control the monster within. Could this mark the final end of the Green Goliath? Or will the extreme solution create something new—with massive consequences?
sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The radical way? It’s a symbiote. That said, given where Immortal Hulk is I can’t see Ewing finishing this with anything other than the complete destruction of the Green Door system so giving Banner/Hulk a new hook is to be expected. I just don’t see Cates doing well at it.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 3, 2021

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Cael posted:

I actually "like" Cates in the "turn off your brain" summer blockbuster mentality, I know it won't be Ewing quality but maybe it won't be so ba
sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm excited to read about Bruce Banner's final solution.

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009
I wonder if this means the symbiote-related stuff in SWORD is going to have more relevance than it first seemed.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oh Black Cat came out today and it is every goon's sacred duty to buy it. I do not make the rules.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Chuds are mad and doing a bit of review bombing on the Roundup, so you know it's good

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Who changes their decision about whether or not to buy issue 7 of a series based on reviews when there's been no major changes in the creators? I guess I could see bouncing off a series early and reading "oh it really turns poo poo around at issue #X" But if I bought issue six and after reading it still planned on buying issue seven after reading it, I don't know what someone could say to change my mind about that unless there's some out of the blue racism or homophobia.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
It's the reader rating section on comic book roundup, it means precisely nothing but I guess it makes them feel better

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Arkhams Razor posted:

I wonder if this means the symbiote-related stuff in SWORD is going to have more relevance than it first seemed.

Ewing is now writing three different space books if the promo art for Venomi s any indication

yeah something's coming

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Chuds are mad and doing a bit of review bombing on the Roundup, so you know it's good

read this and thought to myself, hmm must be gay. and it was. happy pride everyone

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Blockhouse posted:

Ewing is now writing three different space books if the promo art for Venomi s any indication

yeah something's coming

the RECKONING WARRRR

e oops double posted

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I'm loving Hellions - has Zeb Wells had any other runs that are worth looking into? Based on Wiki it looks like he's mostly done one shots here and there with a few brief runs.

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I'm loving Hellions - has Zeb Wells had any other runs that are worth looking into? Based on Wiki it looks like he's mostly done one shots here and there with a few brief runs.
The most notable thing I remember him from beforehand was the Shed storyline during Brand New Day-era Spider-Man, though I've heard good things secondhand about his Carnage serieses.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

His New Mutants was excellent. Also his Spider-Man stories during Brand New Day were good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Carnage USA was good, Zeb Wells is one of those names where I've never read a bad book written by them, but yeah it's mostly one shots and minis until now.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I really enjoyed how the story arc ended in Black Cat, as well as the Iron Man Annual. Can't wait to see how Felicia steals the Infinity Stones.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Wait, what is the Roundup? Is there something other than the podcast?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I honestly don't understand giving Ewing a property like Venom when Thor is right there and floundering, but perhaps he asked for it. I can't believe after Ultimates and Hulk and recently Guardians there's a lack of trust in him from anyone.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Nilbop posted:

I honestly don't understand giving Ewing a property like Venom when Thor is right there and floundering, but perhaps he asked for it. I can't believe after Ultimates and Hulk and recently Guardians there's a lack of trust in him from anyone.

yeah this whole "ugh why didn't they give ewing thor" thing depends on the notion that ewing, like, wants thor and I guess is just being forced to work on venom?

e: also thor "floundering" is entirely based on how this thread feels about Cates I guess because it's selling fine

radlum
May 13, 2013
I don't care about Cates getting Hulk now, but to be honest, writing Hulk after what Ewing has done on Immortal Hulk is such a difficult task, I probably can't think of anyone that could actually be a good choice.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
cates' job is taking over after amazing complete runs and writing a new (inferior) status quo. that's pretty rough, though it certainly doesn't excuse shoving the most boring space dracula into everything.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Carnage USA was great. Made the Life Foundation symbiotes into Agent Venomesque super soldiers, each with their own special ability. Like, one shares their symbiote with a dog. Also, Venom Ape vs Carnage Lion.

Zeb also did the first Young Avengers/Runaways meeting during Civil War, where they fight Noh-Varr in his first appearance outside his original mini series.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
The Wells issues of Avenging Spider-Man were good. It was a team up book and Joe Mad drawing Spider-Man and Red Hulk fighting monsters together was fun.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Zeb is a great talent, you just haven’t seen much of him because Robot Chicken and whatever else he’s doing pays more. Amazing sense of humor, but can go dark without tonal whiplash. The perfect choice for Hellions. Big props to whoever set that up.

His time on Spider-Man ruined his name for me. I always see “Web Sells”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I've never really been an X Men guy before the current run so it's been my introduction to Mister Sinister and I love how Wells writes him. The sending a clone to Avalon gag was great.