Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

https://twitter.com/veerswatch/status/1399685981687750656?s=21

I think I’d like this set a lot more if half the piece count wasn’t going into that base.

I love that sticker screen with lego figs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

The_Doctor posted:

You’re missing out the best part! The brickheadz are a purchase with purchase! If you spend £/$85 on Ninjago sets, you can BUY the brickheadz set for €\$10! They’re not even a free GWP! That feels like an absolute bastard testing the water move to see what they can get away with.

Lol are they actually serious with this poo poo? You have to buy X amount of money in order to be "allowed" to still buy another set?

No. Just no. Forget me with that bullshit.

For some reason they like to mess with Brickheadz availability--I still haven't been able to get the Lego Movie ones because they were US-only and I just don't want to pay 5-6 times the list price to the scalpers.

But it's good that lego from time to time sends us all a reminder that, yes, they too are simply a large corporation whose only care in the world is to get more money. What customers want really comes into it only as a very very distant second. Of course I understand that they have to make the sets that customers will buy if they want to survive, but everything around it, the whole shopping experience with Lego can be generally pretty dismal in a lot of cases.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think I’d like this set a lot more if half the piece count wasn’t going into that base.

You can re-enact this scene!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl6OjLH7W5k

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

ivantod posted:

Lol are they actually serious with this poo poo? You have to buy X amount of money in order to be "allowed" to still buy another set?

No. Just no. Forget me with that bullshit.

So Lego is kind of like Ferrari in that you have to have owned specific previous models in order to be eligible to buy the newer exclusive ones.

Maybe they're also like Ferrari in that they only bother making cars to sell to rich people because it funds their expensive passion of racing cars. Maybe we're all just the rubes Lego extracts money from to fund their passion of molding plastic into brick form.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
As someone with a large amount of led lit Lego sets, they basically use super tiny wires that can get sandwiched between bricks and you have to like double stick tape the leds to bricks or sandwich them under a clear bit piece.

The Lego light up preview they used was them rebranding an off the shelf kit and I don't think it'd ever really make it to production as the wires are prone to snapping easily (bitch to resolder) and it leads to reduced integrity with the builds as you can't actually fully seat bricks / plates against each other.

The ideal would be to add a channel into each piece that would need to run/hide a wire but i don't think they'd go for that. Also the instructions for installation aren't the best either as you have to largely disassemble sets in a way to shoehorn in the LEDs/wires and then reassemble them after they've been fully built. As far as I can tell, it'd be near impossible for them to come up with modified instructions that would let you run led's and wires as you assembled the set without significant changes to the modularity of the wiring because of the assumptions/dependencies that the light kit designers have made in terms of placing control boards and bundling wires together.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLKfz2Okk9w

Can't wait to learn Lego secrets at Lego Con. June 26, 9am pacific time, 12 eastern, streamed online.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Pretty excited about that Vader pod model. Also the Twitter revealing would have been better if it were Piett or Needa Watch but oh well.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
A bunch of new Jurassic World Camp Cretaceous sets just leaked out. There’s a 4+ set which has the classic red/beige JP jeep in, so I expect that to go fast.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Two more:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s really going to bump the price up from it being the $40 set it should be, but I’ll be damned if it doesn’t add a lot to the display value. I really like that set.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

If there’s one thing that Lego Jurassic [Park|World] really nails is the comic amounts of incompetence and hubris that such an institution would entail.

T.Rex Fossil has had enough of their bullshit.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
programming Lego Masters against AGT is certainly a decision

:filez: it is, then

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm pretty sure it will be on Hulu or something. I know I watched the last season without filesing.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

https://twitter.com/NewElementary/status/1399674734313308165

Ok then.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How many 9-12 year olds are there on twitter, and how many like to watch 90 minute presentations?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cojawfee posted:

How many 9-12 year olds are there on twitter, ?

Physically, mentally, or morally?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
9 years mmmhmm right. And yes, I am sure it's because they have noone to share their hobby with, not because of girls or anything being more interesting to teens...

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I think I'm committed to my Shuttle Fleet plans now. All these printed tiles cost more than a new Discovery set.

(Printed pieces bought from millionprints.com. They're not up on his etsy store right now because of high demand, but he does take special orders, like alternate livery and names; each of the 6x6 tiles was $10.50; each pair of wedges was $12)

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 2, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Meditation chamber is up for pre order with some much better pictures. This is a definite buy for me although I think it's over priced at $70. Still a unique and cool thing to make a set out of and I think they did a good job with it.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/darth-vader-meditation-chamber-75296

Also looking at it closer I think the big base is justified. Most of it is an integral part of the build and the actual stand part of it isn't particularly excessive. I think it would lose a lot of displayability without it.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 2, 2021

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I'm not sure what the idea is, but Walmart is doing preorders of the fishtank set for 35% off. Also the crocodile 3-in-1. Maybe others.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Blue Moonlight posted:

https://i.imgur.com/g09vH8D.mp4

Those lights are still going strong 32 years later! (or maybe not - my wife got the set for me used on Bricklink and so the age of the light module cannot be determined).

Anyone had luck reviving the battery boxes? The battery in my blacktron base corroded - I scraped it all off, tried using deoxit on the contacts, but no luck.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Sloppy posted:

Anyone had luck reviving the battery boxes? The battery in my blacktron base corroded - I scraped it all off, tried using deoxit on the contacts, but no luck.

Use white vinegar to clean off battery leakage.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I've used rubbing alcohol before to great success, as well.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sloppy posted:

if at all possible, disassemble it so only the corroded contacts and springs, and soak them in white vinegar and scrub.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I made my first trip to a LEGO store since the before times this morning, hunting the Everyone is Awesome set. Turns out, despite showing up about ten minutes after they opened, I missed them selling the last 2 by minutes. :negative:

The little old lady who for the last one was still hanging out talking with the workers, I hope she enjoys putting it together. :shobon:

I ended up ordering mine online from inside the store and bought a CMF to make it be not a wasted trip.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
It sucks that the set is timed for Pride Month and sold out so quickly. If my order for the 66 batmobile is any indication it'll be 60 days before a resupply.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

deoju posted:

It sucks that the set is timed for Pride Month and sold out so quickly. If my order for the 66 batmobile is any indication it'll be 60 days before a resupply.

That thing is a drat nightmare to get ahold of.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Woah I didn't know this was time limited. Thanks, just got my order in, it is already on backorder in Germany. Also splurged and got the Bonsai because I had 25 € worth of VIP points.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Oh, I didn't mean to say it was a limited-time, short-run thing, I don't know that for sure. Only that it was released at the start of Pride Month and demand seems to be too high to keep it on the shelves at the moment. I hope there'll be more coming this month and beyond.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Nth Doctor posted:

I made my first trip to a LEGO store since the before times this morning, hunting the Everyone is Awesome set. Turns out, despite showing up about ten minutes after they opened, I missed them selling the last 2 by minutes. :negative:

The little old lady who for the last one was still hanging out talking with the workers, I hope she enjoys putting it together. :shobon:

I ended up ordering mine online from inside the store and bought a CMF to make it be not a wasted trip.

Are they still presorting the CMF figs?

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

My Daily Bugle set was missing Black Cat’s whip :(

Other than that, very fun build so far. Was my first major splurge.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Asnorban posted:

My Daily Bugle set was missing Black Cat’s whip :(

Other than that, very fun build so far. Was my first major splurge.

Lego will send you a replacement with minimal fuss.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

veni veni veni posted:

They really did mean Everyone

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh I meant the 66 batmobile. I’ve been checking for weeks and it’s always sold out.

I wouldnt be surprised if they are both like that though. Basically every good set is a pita to find now

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
My order shows “waiting for new stock” but I received an email saying it is back ordered so who knows.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

The chamber isn't out until August, I think. I got the same sort of thing when I pre-ordered the probe droid a while back.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

veni veni veni posted:

What's good is more are being shipped out. While I was there today the guy at the LEGO store got their store shipping notice for Friday and they were getting 93 more.

Earth posted:

Sadly no, and the guy implied they weren't allowed to anymore when we were chatting about what I thought I got.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

esperantinc posted:

The chamber isn't out until August, I think. I got the same sort of thing when I pre-ordered the probe droid a while back.

Thanks, backordered meaning "not released yet" didn't really make sense.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

tomapot posted:

Thanks, backordered meaning "not released yet" didn't really make sense.

You got it.

Looks like lego.com got a batch of R2-D2s in, my "immediately backordered" order from day of release is now showing "in warehouse" and my card was charged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Earth posted:

They are in the London stores, so YMMV?