Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I'm afraid to do my bar tape again because I did a good job last time and I have to figure out again how I did the end with the di2 junction box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I take pictures as I unwrap the old tape and it has a 100% failure rate for helping me redo them.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

MalleusDei posted:

Good question. Worth checking!

Exactly the same!
One alloy with setback, one carbon, no setback. Same size though.

Edit: Where is the best place to buy things like seatposts online?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Safety Dance posted:

Ugh, that sucks. I'm sorry. I hope you live in one of the places where the police actually try to return recovered bikes to their owners.

Absolutely not. I live in a big city where they dont give a poo poo about bike theft.

I'm kind of emotional about it today, I loved that bike - I had planned on keeping it forever and upgrading parts on it for no reason other than I wanted to.

I guess I can go buy another hybrid, but it will not be the same. I do need a bike to just tool around on and tow the toddler and the road bike won't cut it. So I guess it's N+1 time.

Tell me what your favorite hybrid/city bikes are!

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
This is how it turned out. It looks alright to my untrained eye, though I'm sure I messed something up. Either way, I'm happy with how this first time panned out, definitely a fun and valuable thing to learn to do (and rode a PR on my usual workout route with the new tape just now!)

e: ^ Sorry to hear that, man. Having your bike get stolen loving blows :(

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Sab0921 posted:

Absolutely not. I live in a big city where they dont give a poo poo about bike theft.

I'm kind of emotional about it today, I loved that bike - I had planned on keeping it forever and upgrading parts on it for no reason other than I wanted to.

I guess I can go buy another hybrid, but it will not be the same. I do need a bike to just tool around on and tow the toddler and the road bike won't cut it. So I guess it's N+1 time.

List it as stolen on bikeindex.org

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sab0921 posted:

If I was about to buy one, I'd get a Brilliant L-Train. The 7 speed hub gear, belt drive, and ability to mount fenders ought to make it a really nice city bike.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I pulled my bike down off the wall for the first time in a few years, and within a few hours of riding the threads on the metal arm where the pedal attaches have gone completely stripped. The pedal itself just wobbles itself completely out.

Researching a bit, it looks like I need a special wrench and a replacement ... arm part (though I know it has its own name and I'm not googling the right thing yet).

Is this a reasonable DIY job for a mostly DIY-capable person who just doesn't know anything about bikes? Or is it the kind of thing I'm going to get halfway into and something comes loose in my hand and I end up at the shop anyway?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Huxley posted:

I pulled my bike down off the wall for the first time in a few years, and within a few hours of riding the threads on the metal arm where the pedal attaches have gone completely stripped. The pedal itself just wobbles itself completely out.

Researching a bit, it looks like I need a special wrench and a replacement ... arm part (though I know it has its own name and I'm not googling the right thing yet).

Is this a reasonable DIY job for a mostly DIY-capable person who just doesn't know anything about bikes? Or is it the kind of thing I'm going to get halfway into and something comes loose in my hand and I end up at the shop anyway?

Depends on which crank (the arms and the spindle connecting them) you have. Take a pic and should be easy to assess ease of DIY or cost of tools.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

Depends on which crank (the arms and the spindle connecting them) you have. Take a pic and should be easy to assess ease of DIY or cost of tools.

Thanks!

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

rt4 posted:

If I was about to buy one, I'd get a Brilliant L-Train. The 7 speed hub gear, belt drive, and ability to mount fenders ought to make it a really nice city bike.

I also think this is an interesting one to look into, if you don't mind dealing with getting a bike shipped rather than going through a local shop. I got a Brilliant Cooper (their 3-speed belt-drive with cheaper steel and worse components) last year as my "tooling around the neighborhood with the kids" bike, and I've enjoyed it, but I'd recommend springing for the nicer L-Train instead for anyone who plans on getting a lot of use out of it. (The Cooper became a much poorer deal at some point in the last half-year or so after they jacked the price way up from $400 to $550, whereas the L Train only got bumped up from $650 to $730.)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Looks like a square taper crank. This system uses different mechanisms to attach and detach the crank arm.
The big hex key bolt you see there pushes the arm onto the tapered spindle end. Looks like this:

Except the picture has a bolt head where you have the keyed bolt.

Once you take that off, the arm will still be fixed to the spindle via friction:

There's a special crank puller tool that mounts to the threads of the crank arm and then is screwed to push against the end of the spindle:

Depending on what kind you get, it's maybe $10. Pop the arm off, and you can install the replacement with the tightening bolt.

All but the cheapest cranks will use the 9/16" standard threading for the pedal.
The other two measurements you'll want are the length of the arm (hopefully printed on the back), around 172.5mm or so, and the lateral offset (within a few mm of your current crank should be ok), which is rarely reported.

e: there's a repair thread if you jump in and need more help.

also, now would be a good time to check on the other pedal for looseness. Chances are you won't have the big pedal wrench you need to tighten it if it's loose but not damaged. That's another $15 or so. The right pedal that remains is normal threaded. The one that came loose is reverse threaded.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 2, 2021

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Blotto_Otter posted:

I also think this is an interesting one to look into, if you don't mind dealing with getting a bike shipped rather than going through a local shop. I got a Brilliant Cooper (their 3-speed belt-drive with cheaper steel and worse components) last year as my "tooling around the neighborhood with the kids" bike, and I've enjoyed it, but I'd recommend springing for the nicer L-Train instead for anyone who plans on getting a lot of use out of it. (The Cooper became a much poorer deal at some point in the last half-year or so after they jacked the price way up from $400 to $550, whereas the L Train only got bumped up from $650 to $730.)

This looks cool, but the bikes aren't available until September - I can't sideline my trips with my kids until then!

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Used 90s MTB might be a fine placeholder until new inventory is better

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Sab0921 posted:

This looks cool, but the bikes aren't available until September - I can't sideline my trips with my kids until then!

You can get it from two websites, brilliant.co or prioritybicycles.com, but TIL that the offerings are different - I wasn't even aware they had a disc brake version now. Brilliant.co shows them shipping July 15th, but looks like you can only get the rim brake version there, they don't even list the disc brake option.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

Looks like a square taper crank. This system uses different mechanisms to attach and detach the crank arm.

I pulled that hex plug and got the correct arm, a puller, and a new set of pedals coming Friday. Hopefully we can get back on the road with my kids Saturday. And if not, I'll come calling on the repair thread. I'm sure I've not accounted for something or other, but I won't know until I know.

THANK YOU!

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Lex Neville posted:

This is how it turned out. It looks alright to my untrained eye, though I'm sure I messed something up. Either way, I'm happy with how this first time panned out, definitely a fun and valuable thing to learn to do (and rode a PR on my usual workout route with the new tape just now!)

e: ^ Sorry to hear that, man. Having your bike get stolen loving blows :(

This looks very good! Well done. Bar ends are really well done which is normally where I gently caress uo

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sab0921 posted:

Just start looking at Craigslist/OfferUp etc. Not everybody is aware how hosed supply chains are and you should be able to find the aforementioned 90s MTB.

edit: just opened it up for shits and grins and this thing is taunting me --> https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/d/portland-58cm-fuji-jari-650b/7330730981.html even though I'm in a N-1 phase in order to help fund the timing belt/water pump on my 4Runner that went out in Bend last week.

This guy lives down the road from me and always has 10-20 bikes listed. https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/bik/d/tualatin-shogun-vintage-race-road-bike/7316822340.html

highme fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 2, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Huxley posted:

I pulled that hex plug and got the correct arm, a puller, and a new set of pedals coming Friday. Hopefully we can get back on the road with my kids Saturday. And if not, I'll come calling on the repair thread. I'm sure I've not accounted for something or other, but I won't know until I know.

For your new pedals, see if the pics show the ends of the pedal spindles, if they have a hex hole as well:

If not, you'll want a pedal wrench to put them on tight to prevent a repeat.
The only thing significant about a pedal wrench is that it's narrow enough to fit between the pedal and crank arm:

e: gonna throw this out there since it caught me out the first time I did it --
the universal crank pullers can have a pop-in plate that goes on the end of the pusher rod. This thing might be juuust a bit wider than the square opening of the crank arm.
If you leave it on, you might not notice it wedging against the arm and distorting the metal instead of going to the spindle and only then encountering resistance.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 2, 2021

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

XIII posted:

I definitely favor ride quality over flat protection (flats gonna happen, just get gud at changing them quickly). I ran US-IIs for years just because...well, I'd been running them for years and why fix it? Decided to try the GP5ks and wasn't blown away by the difference, so was gonna downgrade back to the US-IIIs but covid has obviously done a number on product availability

If you want ride quality (i/e protection from bumps) get the widest Ramparts you can fit, run them tubeless at low PSI.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

This looks very good! Well done. Bar ends are really well done which is normally where I gently caress uo

Same, and every bar tape nerd on the internet is like "simply tuck the ends into the bar" as if it's that easy. Everyone post your bar end tips now, I need to learn this wizardry.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
My end caps had slits I could slide the edge of the tape into so that the tape moved inward with the end cap. Didn't work very well, ended up stuffing it in and using some force.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

my bar tape is double wrapped and has huge bulbous bits at the end but i don't care because it's a party bike :madmax:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

meltie posted:

If you want ride quality (i/e protection from bumps) get the widest Ramparts you can fit, run them tubeless at low PSI.

Sadly, the wheels on this bike aren't tubeless compatible. I managed to track down a Conti Ultra Sport II (2 not 3) at a LBS, so I'm just gonna grab that. It's not a "nice" tire, but I've never felt particularly unhappy with them in the past. I looked at a bunch of other options, but decided it's not worth the extra cash for a tire I'll probably shred before the end of summer. Once my front tire gets to a point it needs replacing, I'm planning on throwing a set of gumwalls on (and change my gearing up a bit so the wear is better distributed), so I'm just going with the cheap/trusty option to keep me rolling til then.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

You wrap the tape with the minimum of overhang so the flange of the bar plug holds the tape uniformly all around, but you don't want any tape inside your bars

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

When I gave up on being able to handle the hydraulic swap on my Diverge I took the NLA bar tape I'd just bought for it because I didn't want to do it. After they tried to upsell me a bunch of work I didn't want done I just said "please just do the work I brought it in for," but when I picked it up the bar tape hadn't been put on. When I asked why the guy said something like "that's one of the things you said not to do when I called ¯\_(ツ)_/¯". I was already fairly unimpressed with the whole experience, so I just said "gently caress it, I'll do it."

I ended up cutting the tape too short. The wrap is ok and the ends aren't the worst, but I'm definitely missing that extra inch on the flats.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Lex Neville posted:

My end caps had slits I could slide the edge of the tape into so that the tape moved inward with the end cap. Didn't work very well, ended up stuffing it in and using some force.

Yeah bar end plugs generally suck. I was day dreaming about an expander plug only to walk into condor cycles and see they've started selling them. You even get a set included with their bar tape now.

https://www.condorcycles.com/products/condor-anodized-aluminium-bar-end-plugs

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

https://www.statebicycle.com/collections/bars/products/state-bicycle-co-420-bar-ends

These are the best bar ends (even if I preferred them without the grateful dead logo)

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Yeah bar end plugs generally suck. I was day dreaming about an expander plug only to walk into condor cycles and see they've started selling them. You even get a set included with their bar tape now.

https://www.condorcycles.com/products/condor-anodized-aluminium-bar-end-plugs

Supacaz have been doing them for a while, the pink ones are best obviously

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Supacaz/Star-Bar-End-Plug/DTKE

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I was thinking of ordering a bike online but was curious how accurate the date estimations are? Canyon has August for expected inventory before you can even order, and Ribble I can order now and has expected ship date in July. I called a local shop that deals in Trek bikes and their systems show expected ship dates for 2022 for one of the models and Nov 21 for the other model I was looking at. With that I figured I would give an online retailer an order but not sure how flexible those dates are. Also any other suggestions are welcome. I won't be able to wander to the local shops until this weekend.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

In my experience, Canyon will blast right past a given date with no communication, and Ribble is pretty good about communicating any changes in expected delivery dates. This is all from pre-plague though :shrug:

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Recommendations for short fingered unpadded gloves? I’ve decided I don’t like padding but my hands get sweaty on hot rides so I want something glove-like.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Recommendations for short fingered unpadded gloves? I’ve decided I don’t like padding but my hands get sweaty on hot rides so I want something glove-like.

https://handupgloves.com/collections/shorties-gloves

I have a pair of Handups for basically any/all weather conditions and they've never let me down. All mine are full finger, but I'm sure the shorties are just as good. The summer weight ("Lite") fabric is great, which all of these appear to be made from.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

doomisland posted:

I was thinking of ordering a bike online but was curious how accurate the date estimations are? Canyon has August for expected inventory before you can even order, and Ribble I can order now and has expected ship date in July. I called a local shop that deals in Trek bikes and their systems show expected ship dates for 2022 for one of the models and Nov 21 for the other model I was looking at. With that I figured I would give an online retailer an order but not sure how flexible those dates are. Also any other suggestions are welcome. I won't be able to wander to the local shops until this weekend.

everything is still totally hosed, logistiscs, raw materials, everything. It's a total crapshoot really. Basically either order something and accept a possible 6 ??? months delay (or not??), or buy something that's in stock right now/2nd hand. Also: call them, even webshops, they might know more.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

doomisland posted:

Both my local Specialized and my local Giant dealers had relatively low turn around times for orders. The Giant dealer didn't have much stock in store but estimated they could get an order though in a month or two. The Specialized dealer actually had some middle to high end stuff in stock and figured that they could get an order through in a month.

I would do around at your local bike stores. They seem get bikes on a completely different cycle than the online stores.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

XIII posted:

https://handupgloves.com/collections/shorties-gloves

I have a pair of Handups for basically any/all weather conditions and they've never let me down. All mine are full finger, but I'm sure the shorties are just as good. The summer weight ("Lite") fabric is great, which all of these appear to be made from.

Seconded, I’ve got a couple pairs of the shorties and they work well for my situation (which is extremely sweaty in south Texas)

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
I got this account for Xmas.

kimbo305 posted:

I take pictures as I unwrap the old tape and it has a 100% failure rate for helping me redo them.

As someone who always screws up my tape at least a little bit, I appreciated this!

Biggus Duckus
Feb 13, 2012

You know how you cut the last bit of tape at an angle so it lines up nicely with the bar? Well I definitely cut mine on the wrong side, for both sides, so they are hilariously awful near the stem.

I could undo, switch sides, and try again, but honestly it's just bar tape, I don't really care that much.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Biggus Duckus posted:

You know how you cut the last bit of tape at an angle so it lines up nicely with the bar? Well I definitely cut mine on the wrong side, for both sides, so they are hilariously awful near the stem.

I could undo, switch sides, and try again, but honestly it's just bar tape, I don't really care that much.

I've gotten pretty good at wrapping tape but I always gently caress up my finishing. Yeah I just live with it since its just tape its good enough and I'll have to rewrap it in a couple years anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
I can never ever figure out how to go around the hoods the same way and make it look good so I just cross my fingers and then throw a shitload of tape to finish near the stem and divert attention.