Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
WHO WAS MOST OVER
This poll is closed.
ORANGE 57 34.34%
MIRO 32 19.28%
HANGMAN 30 18.07%
INNER CIRCLE 14 8.43%
BRITT BAKER 22 13.25%
CODY 6 3.61%
DARBY 5 3.01%
Total: 166 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Seams posted:

I like that AEW is pushing new people that aren't just ex-WWE folks. As much as I think it would be nice if guys like Andrade and Black end up in AEW, I'm more invested in guys like Darby, JB, MJF, Acclaimed etc etc who I had never seen prior to AEW.

tbh i think the "ex-wwe" stuff should've been dead and buried ages ago. aew clearly isn't pushing people just because they were in the wwe, and avoiding building up anyone who was over there means we wouldn't have miro or tay and their complete career rejuvenation

like, it's easy to see that anyone who's leaving the wwe for reasons not related to being a pedo or a bigot was probably mistreated at least by SOME amount in the company, and it's clear that getting out of there and into a company that will both treat you better as a human and actually attempt to train you in ways that work has helped a ton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Drakkel posted:

I think the big challenge with Britt Baker is that like, nobody who beats her gets elevated from it. Big Swole, Thunder Rosa, and Nyla Rose all have victories over Baker in 2021 and, aside from Swole's title match with Shida, none of them have ever appeared on Dynamite again.

Swole got sick and was unable to work, Nyla is still treated like a big star and would take just one or two wins and a commentary push to be a realistic option, and despite all her rage Thunder Rosa is still just a rat in a (contractual) cage.

There’s excuses and then there’s impediments, and besides Nyla cooling off the other two fall into the latter.

AEW needs more cable TV time for it’s women yes but that situation isn’t cut and dry.

[Edit] I would like to see Tommy End in AEW, but Tony needs the former Iconics and Heidi Lovelace/Ruby Riott right the gently caress now.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I don't know how things line up exactly with her title match and appearances afterwards but Swole also had some serious Crohns related issues for a lot of the year that kept her out of action didn't she?

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Drakkel posted:

Big Swole, Thunder Rosa, and Nyla Rose all have victories over Baker in 2021 and, aside from Swole's title match with Shida, none of them have ever appeared on Dynamite again.

Nyla Rose appeared four times since the time she fought Britt
Rosa appeared one time last month
Big Swole appeared three times since the tooth and nail match, but she also spent a good amount of time out due to health issues

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Britt hasn't really had any extended programs after her character took off aside from Rosa who's still stuck in NWA purgatorrrry.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Zombie Lemur posted:

Britt hasn't really had any extended programs after her character took off aside from Rosa who's still stuck in NWA purgatorrrry.

She feuded with Swole for the duration of her recovery from the knee injury.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

VideoWitch posted:

Nyla Rose appeared four times since the time she fought Britt
Rosa appeared one time last month
Big Swole appeared three times since the tooth and nail match, but she also spent a good amount of time out due to health issues

In storylines? Feuds? Or are we only counting Dark matches? Point is they get like 1% of the attention Britt does and that's not a great way to build a division.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

She feuded with Swole for the duration of her recovery from the knee injury.

Yeah, but Britt wasn't really anyone at that point as far as contending for the belt goes. She was cutting some well received promos, but she wasn't even able to wrestle for a big chunk of their feud.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
They built one of the strongest anchors they absolutely could for a division while they've been building up a roster to support her on Dark. Doesn't sound too bad to me. Definitely not fair to discount all the work they've put into the division on Dark when it's not time to put them all on tv yet. Considering the pops that all their homegrown Dark talent got in front of audiences, they're doing just fine.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I've been catching up on Unrestricteds lately and only now got to the Big Swole episode and I would love for her to get some action on Dynamite again.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Drakkel posted:

In storylines? Feuds? Or are we only counting Dark matches? Point is they get like 1% of the attention Britt does and that's not a great way to build a division.

On Dynamite, I didn't count Dark matches. It would be about 10 times higher if I had. I do agree that AEW needs to have more time for women's story lines but I don't think Britt is getting pushed at the expense of everyone else.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Penguin Patrol posted:

They built one of the strongest anchors they absolutely could for a division while they've been building up a roster to support her on Dark. Doesn't sound too bad to me. Definitely not fair to discount all the work they've put into the division on Dark when it's not time to put them all on tv yet. Considering the pops that all their homegrown Dark talent got in front of audiences, they're doing just fine.

I mean that's kinda what they've been doing for 2 years now, at some point that's gotta amount to something. Hopefully Rampage gives them more time to devote to giving some actual stories to the women who've been training on Dark all this time, but we'll have no idea what they do with it til it happens I guess.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Drakkel posted:

I mean that's kinda what they've been doing for 2 years now

someone else post cursedwomensdivision.txt pls

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
there hasn't even been a dynamite since she won the title so maybe let there be at least one show before we lament britt baker's reign of terror

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

have you posted even a single time in any aew thread before britt baker won the title and melted your brain apparently

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Penguin Patrol posted:

Someone who needs to be walked through their matches still to the point where it's a legitimate question as to if she's sandbagging or just loving up is an extremely poor anchor.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Oh Snapple! posted:

Someone who needs to be walked through their matches still to the point where it's a legitimate question as to if she's sandbagging or just loving up is an extremely poor anchor.

who is asking this "legitimate question"

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Britt acknowledged and talked about all of this during her media scrum on Sunday night.

Literally the first frame of AEW content post-DoN was Thunder Rosa talking about Britt’s title win. I just don’t get this handwringing anymore.

Lead Pipe Cinch fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 3, 2021

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Alaois posted:

have you posted even a single time in any aew thread before britt baker won the title and melted your brain apparently

gotta gatekeep the thread, you must have 200 posts before a criticism is allowed. until then it is wrongthink

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I feel like I'm losing my mind because to me, they have clearly built up Thunder Rosa as the top babyface in the division right now. She's cut promos (including one on Dynamite!) about going for the AEW and NWA belts, she's the No. 1 contender and her rival just won the title!

Obviously it's unclear if/when they'll be able to fully pull the trigger on her because of her contract status, but ignoring the degree to which they've set her up as a long-term foil for Britt feels like going "Who the hell is going to take the belt off Kenny?" and ignoring the existence of Hangman

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Man, this thread is gonna be something when Britt starts actually having matches in this title reign.

Anyway,

https://twitter.com/WWEAleister/status/1400269420149227525

*deep breaths*

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

MotU posted:

gotta gatekeep the thread, you must have 200 posts before a criticism is allowed. until then it is wrongthink

Yeah, it's an incredibly lovely post.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

its not gatekeeping its an actual question because i've never seen them before when it seem like they've been having these issues with the women's divison this whole time i figured i would remember them from when that was the constant thread discourse from like a year ago

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Alaois posted:

its not gatekeeping its an actual question because i've never seen them before when it seem like they've been having these issues with the women's divison this whole time i figured i would remember them from when that was the constant thread discourse from like a year ago

where were you on the thread of July 30th, 2020

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

if you find yourself about to interrogate someone about their posting history over a pro wrestling opinion you disagree with, i suggest clicking the cool little x in the top right of your browser window and stepping outdoors to touch grass instead

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Also it doesn't matter if you remember them or not. This is a discussion thread. People aren't disallowed to have opinions on things just because they didn't voice the opinion at some point in the past to your particular satisfaction. This was the culmination of the entire women's division during the pandemic shows; if they had an issue with how it ended up being handle at the end then now is a perfectly valid time to voice them. Just because they didn't post before this doesn't mean it ain't held by them.

Is that sufficient, Officer?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Penguin Patrol posted:

someone else post cursedwomensdivision.txt pls

i'm probably forgetting a lot but:

- kylie rae was presumably going to be the early face center of the division before she left
- awesome kong/britt were going to be the early heel center but kong couldn't go as much as she expected and they cut it short real quick
- joshi were going to be a large part of the division before the pandemic, as well as a few other people who lived out of the country and wouldn't stay in florida
- you know, the pandemic in general keeping people home for health reasons (like big swole)
- there had been several injuries with people who were just starting getting focused on, including statlander (who JUST returned) and anna jay (who is still out)

it's only been in the last several months that the division's really finally getting on its feet without being derailed (barring rosa's "you can't wrestle in aew" storyline in her home promotion), and in those months they've built a good chunk of talent they should finally be able to use regularly -- they just really need to get the time together to put it on dynamite

if anything i think the problem right now is that they have so many ongoing storylines that they're already trying to fit into dynamite that it's hard to go "hey let's try to fit another two or three into the same two hours," but hopefully the PPV can be a nice capstone to what they were doing and the first post-PPV dynamite this friday can kick off some new poo poo

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

xbilkis posted:

I feel like I'm losing my mind because to me, they have clearly built up Thunder Rosa as the top babyface in the division right now. She's cut promos (including one on Dynamite!) about going for the AEW and NWA belts, she's the No. 1 contender and her rival just won the title!

Obviously it's unclear if/when they'll be able to fully pull the trigger on her because of her contract status, but ignoring the degree to which they've set her up as a long-term foil for Britt feels like going "Who the hell is going to take the belt off Kenny?" and ignoring the existence of Hangman

I'm more curious about who's positioned to take the belts off of the Bucks.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Zombie Lemur posted:

i could buy PnP taking them, since they teased on twitter that they're planning on challenging

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

flatluigi posted:

i'm probably forgetting a lot but:

- kylie rae was presumably going to be the early face center of the division before she left
- awesome kong/britt were going to be the early heel center but kong couldn't go as much as she expected and they cut it short real quick
- joshi were going to be a large part of the division before the pandemic, as well as a few other people who lived out of the country and wouldn't stay in florida
- you know, the pandemic in general keeping people home for health reasons (like big swole)
- there had been several injuries with people who were just starting getting focused on, including statlander (who JUST returned) and anna jay (who is still out)

it's only been in the last several months that the division's really finally getting on its feet without being derailed (barring rosa's "you can't wrestle in aew" storyline in her home promotion), and in those months they've built a good chunk of talent they should finally be able to use regularly -- they just really need to get the time together to put it on dynamite

if anything i think the problem right now is that they have so many ongoing storylines that they're already trying to fit into dynamite that it's hard to go "hey let's try to fit another two or three into the same two hours," but hopefully the PPV can be a nice capstone to what they were doing and the first post-PPV dynamite this friday can kick off some new poo poo

Yeah all of this tracks in what kneecapped the division right off the bat and how they couldn't get a break at all. It makes sense for them to 'all in' it on their most over wrestler in the division, but some people still dislike how it was done

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

flatluigi posted:

i could buy PnP taking them, since they teased on twitter that they're planning on challenging

yeah, i think they'll probably have quick thing with the varsity blondes before moving into a pnp feud

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

amused that whoever alex elkins is was so proud of this photoshop that they watermarked it

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

flatluigi posted:

I've basically wanted a PnP babyface title run since AEW started, so I can get behind that.

It also makes sense in that the Inner Circle had the numbers to counteract the outside fuckery from the rest of the Elite.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Zombie Lemur posted:

I feel like that becomes clearer once they finally announce the trios championship and we get a sense of who’s going to be focusing on that. My assumption would be that that builds to Death Triangle vs. Best Friends, so they’re probably out of the tag hunt. I could see them heating up PnP or either of the primary Dark Order tag teams in relatively short order once it’s time for the wrap up the Bucks’ run.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
They're really straining to keep FTR out of the title picture as-is, so a FTR-PnP feud where Proud n Powerful wins and jumps to #1 contender makes a lot of sense

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
If you think Fuego doesn't have a contract I have a bag with a snake in it to sell you

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

xbilkis posted:

They're really straining to keep FTR out of the title picture as-is, so a FTR-PnP feud where Proud n Powerful wins and jumps to #1 contender makes a lot of sense
Yeah, beating FTR fully legitimizes them and it would be a good ending, since PNP couldn't beat the bucks as heels but now can as face. And maybe the other IC members pummel the elite to keep them out of it while a retiring Jericho smiles happily.

The other option is Best Friends but I think the trios belts are gonna be the end result of their DT feud.

Or I guess give the rub to a newer team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

MotU posted:

Yeah all of this tracks in what kneecapped the division right off the bat and how they couldn't get a break at all. It makes sense for them to 'all in' it on their most over wrestler in the division, but some people still dislike how it was done

realtalk there's nothing wrong with posting about disliking things (i outright said in my post that i think they have lots of room to get better), but that doesn't mean people can't discuss/respond to what people are saying? like, i fundamentally disagree with drakkel saying "Britt Baker is basically the only woman in the company who can ever have a storyline or even speak basically" and "they have effectively a one-woman division where Britt is the only woman that matters, and the rest of the women just exist to be bested by her, " but because i don't really understand where they're coming from at all i just kind of let it go

imo i think a lot of people discard anything that doesn't happen within the two hours on dynamite or on a PPV as something not legitimately part of AEW, and i think that's just fundamentally incorrect at this point. elevation at least is having more and more promos and segments highlighting talent and showcasing their deal and why you should care about them, and the wrestling on elevation/dark is certainly ~canonical~ both to the winrates on dynamite and to character relationships across the roster. i'm not saying "you gotta watch all the vlogs every week," but they've certainly had stuff like the chris daniels promo which absolutely is worth watching. yknow, more character-furthering stuff, in a promotion that's all about characters, how they feel, and how they bounce off of others

basically: don't think less of people because they're regularly on dark or elevation instead of being on every single dynamite, because aew's trying their best to not make it feel that way in my opinion