Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

D U N C

desert planet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Username/post combo

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Computers aren't banned/destroyed in the DUNE universe. The Buterlian JIHAD was agaisnt "machine thinking"
Not "Thinking machines" but more of a giant backlash agaisnt mindsets and people thinking LIKE machines.

I mean, there is also a big cultural taboo, bordering on outright outlawed agaisnt machines that think. You can have computers, just not so powerful that they can think for themselves, or replace humans.

You don't NEED spice, or the guild to fold space. They used computers for that before Spice was discovered.
What you NEED the spice for, is to see the future and make sure you aren't gonna pop out of hyperspace right in front of a massive meteor.

*Disclaimer: Been years since I actually read the books, so some details may be off. I do want to re-read before the movie comes out though.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Folding space ain't like dustin' crops, boy

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Pham Nuwen posted:

Username/post combo

Rewatched the trailer for the first time in a while and yeah.

Yeah.

I need this movie.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Johnny Aztec posted:

The Buterlian JIHAD was agaisnt "machine thinking" Not "Thinking machines" but more of a giant backlash agaisnt mindsets and people thinking LIKE machines.

:thunk:

What about mentats? They are specifically employed as human machine thought tactical middlemen.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

priznat posted:

The Fremen only had free reign to do galactic jihad because they had the spacing guild by the short and curlies right? They were good at knife fighting and riding giant worms around but I never really understood how that tracked to galactic conquest.

But then thinkin bout how they could now boss around the guys who controlled all interstellar travel it makes more sense.

They only did the Jihad under Paul, you know, the Qizatz Haderach, and the legitimate ruler of the only source of spice.

Yes, the Guild landed fremen legions wherever they were told to and once they made planet fall they will destroy local troops like crazy. Off of Arrakis I assume even the fremen used shields

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
MENTATS: THE FRESHMAKER

and i unno about mentats. Maybe they are human calculators but they can interweave humanity into all of it. I mean, humans aren't logically or rational. A computer would give you the most efficient choice, or most logical tactic, but again, humans aren't rational or logical, so maybe mentats can take that all into account?

Fresh goes better
Mentos freshness
Fresh goes better
With Mentos, fresh and full of life!

[img of Paul winking at the camera with a handful of Mentos after taking over Arrakais]

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Every mentat is a dumbass

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Ingmar terdman posted:

Every mentat is a dumbass

Calculating... .... ..... ...... .......

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
throwing an asteroid at a planet is completely stupid unless you're utterly cranked off your rear end on juice or spice, and even then its still mostly stupid. It'd be the same thing as using atomics and is a great way to utterly gently caress the world you're trying to conquer, even if you slam dunk that thing exactly where you want it to land.

but if you drop in the hardest of the hardcore they can roll over any resistance and not ruin valuable infrastructure and biosphere.

also they say the advantage of the spear is it's range. The disadvantage is it's range. Supposedly if you can not get got if you duck in you can really gently caress someone up, but i'm not entirely certain.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Mentats can be easily defeated by asking them to divide by zero. It makes their eyes go blank and they fall over twitching.
For a less cruel version, ask them to define pi, and slip out the door somewhere around the five hundredth decimal place.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

SniperWoreConverse posted:

throwing an asteroid at a planet is completely stupid unless you're utterly cranked off your rear end on juice or spice, and even then its still mostly stupid. It'd be the same thing as using atomics and is a great way to utterly gently caress the world you're trying to conquer, even if you slam dunk that thing exactly where you want it to land.

but if you drop in the hardest of the hardcore they can roll over any resistance and not ruin valuable infrastructure and biosphere.

also they say the advantage of the spear is it's range. The disadvantage is it's range. Supposedly if you can not get got if you duck in you can really gently caress someone up, but i'm not entirely certain.

Considering the feudal system that is in place, and a sort of peace enforced by CHOAM and the Guild, I think most planets have very little defenses.

The Atredies/Harkoenn thing is a Hatfield/McCoy thing, and I imagine most other Dukes don't have any enemies, beyond basic level political ones.

So, a force of battle hardened Fremen could easily do a quick strike and capture the Capital. Could they HOLD the Capital? Probably not, but they have no intention to. They strike in, do their Jihad thing, make everyone swear to Mua'dib, and move on. I mean, it establishes in DUNE that the Fremen are BETTER than the elite force that the Emperor trains on a nuclear war scorched hell planet.

Now, numbers and logistics are another issue, but let's ignore that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It is said early on in Messiah that a number of worlds have been glassed by the Fremen.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'm still working on Children of Dune, but I also have the impression that Fremen, on top of just being skilled, are altered by their lifestyle, crazy levels of spice consumption, and orgies and stuff to be somehow perfectly tuned for group combat. Like maybe they're just prescient enough to be seriously advantaged in a fight, and also their sense of community is almost physically instilled in them such that they can act as a single unit in absurd ways.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Also remember that they now control the Guild, so any planet that doesn't fall in line is cut off from all interplanetary trade.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I also imagine a lot of planets were just like "What's that? Muad Dib? Am I saying that right? Hell yeah, I love that guy Muad Dib! Please do not despoil my planet, sir." And then maybe they get a platoon of Fremen and the Fremen equivalent of the GarfieldEATS guy installed as 'governors' and life proceeds

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

Computers aren't banned/destroyed in the DUNE universe. The Buterlian JIHAD was agaisnt "machine thinking"
Not "Thinking machines" but more of a giant backlash agaisnt mindsets and people thinking LIKE machines.

I mean, there is also a big cultural taboo, bordering on outright outlawed agaisnt machines that think. You can have computers, just not so powerful that they can think for themselves, or replace humans.

I think that Mentats are a major hypocrisy in the Dune universe. They are an example of machine thinking (and Leto is doomed because of the weakness that engendered), but they are also essential and so society convinces itself that they don't count as machine thinking.

Pretty sure computers in general are destroyed btw. It's a major secret of the Bene Gesserit that the breeding system is stored and processed on an electronic computer system as it had grown beyond human abilities to handle.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bug Squash posted:

I think that Mentats are a major hypocrisy in the Dune universe. They are an example of machine thinking (and Leto is doomed because of the weakness that engendered), but they are also essential and so society convinces itself that they don't count as machine thinking.

So basically it’s making a human in the shape of a machine mind?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Johnny Aztec posted:

*Disclaimer: Been years since I actually read the books, so some details may be off. I do want to re-read before the movie comes out though.

They are off - very much so. The Butlerian Jihad was specifically about thinking machines: "Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind". The stuff about "machine thinking" was in (I believe) Heretics. Definitely not in the first four.

quote:

"Why do you test for humans?" he asked.
"To set you free."
"Free?"
"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them."
" 'Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a man's mind,' " Paul quoted.
"Right out of the Butlerian Jihad and the Orange Catholic Bible," she said. "But what the O.C. Bible should've said is: 'Thou shalt not make a machine to counterfeit a human mind.' Have you studied the Mentat in your service?"
"I've studied with Thufir Hawat."
"The Great Revolt took away a crutch," she said. "It forced human minds to develop. Schools were started to train human talents. "

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.
Just caught up on around a hundred pages of stillposting and simultaneously want to thank you all and also call a Butlerian for your wellbeing

Where's this loving film at

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
duncs waiting to be released simultaneously with space jam 2 for the ultimate dunc/dunk showdown

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Johnny Aztec posted:

Considering the feudal system that is in place, and a sort of peace enforced by CHOAM and the Guild, I think most planets have very little defenses.

The Atredies/Harkoenn thing is a Hatfield/McCoy thing, and I imagine most other Dukes don't have any enemies, beyond basic level political ones.

Yeah, interplanetary movement of troops just isn't possible without approval of the Guild (and through them CHOAM). So large scale conflicts just don't happen, wars are settled by assassins. This is why so much jargon and protocol is built up around assassinations. I imagine most houses/planets don't have much in the way of armed forces beyond a small royal guard and a police force. Planets were effectively unarmed compared to Fremen armies.

The fact that Leto had a large well trained force was one of the biggest reasons the emperor considered him enough of a threat to dispose of him (along with his popularity with the Landsraad and his potential claim to the throne by blood). It emphasizes just how rare and dangerous something akin to a standing army is in the setting.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
How does a random backwater planet even contact the guild to request trade? Does the guild just fold up on regular intervals like the mail or something?

Hi, I'm calling from planet CDXX. I'd like to sell 69 of our finest pugs.
In exchange, can you please deliver 1 or 2 Fremen legions to jihad me?

Thanks!
Duke Dum'rear end

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

YoursTruly posted:

How does a random backwater planet even contact the guild to request trade? Does the guild just fold up on regular intervals like the mail or something?

Hi, I'm calling from planet CDXX. I'd like to sell 69 of our finest pugs.
In exchange, can you please deliver 1 or 2 Fremen legions to jihad me?

Thanks!
Duke Dum'rear end
You're asking about something that's covered by quite a few scifi novellas which feature space travel but no direct FTL communication.
With enough Heighliners moving about, and them returning to a set of distributed bases of operations, information could still flow.

I always assumed that Guild Heighliners were so huge, because they essentially had to carry around a lot of luxury items, effectively functioning like caravans traveling between places, bringing luxuries to those that can afford it while the planets themselves are self-sustaining ecosystems.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I figure they're also huge, because, why not? Might as well bring it all

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I like all the descriptions in Dune Messiah about the absolutely insane scale of the Arrakeen imperial buildings and stuff. Like, several cities would fit inside these courts, absolutely goofy amounts of space

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Might be the kinda thing that makes sense for a relatively sparsely populated city that's exploded into an imperial capital within a decade. That and with how scorching hot it is, you want everyone to have their space.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Might be the kinda thing that makes sense for a relatively sparsely populated city that's exploded into an imperial capital within a decade. That and with how scorching hot it is, you want everyone to have their space.

I do believe it's all about the stink. You can smell a Fremen from up to three kilometres away, after all.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Martman posted:

I like all the descriptions in Dune Messiah about the absolutely insane scale of the Arrakeen imperial buildings and stuff. Like, several cities would fit inside these courts, absolutely goofy amounts of space

I also like that, because it raises the question of how people move around quickly and efficiently in those ridiculously vast spaces.

The answer, of course, is either space heelies or fremen hoverboards.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Martman posted:

lol, I both loved and hated that, because its loving hilarious, but also I find it SO hard to imagine. I'd love to see some kind of visualisation of it, because all I can see it as is like "Mont Saint-Michel but then with a domed roof over it" which is just so stupid, but so stupid it works?

All the stuff about getting water from your poops on the last page had me doing an annoying stifled laugh while my wife was on a work call.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bubblyblubber posted:

I also like that, because it raises the question of how people move around quickly and efficiently in those ridiculously vast spaces.

I think the answer is 'they don't'. Part of the aesthetic of the dune setting is that nothing is ever very urgent and events progress at a speed of generations. Nobody is ever in a hurry.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Suit yourself, I'll be over here imagining reverend mothers gliding around with Jetsons noises.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Maker hook ropes that just go down to a skateboard

Naiboarding is not a crime

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
It is a looong storied history of Sci-fi writers not understanding the numbers they are using.
They just pick what sounds good and run with it.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Alchenar posted:

I think the answer is 'they don't'. Part of the aesthetic of the dune setting is that nothing is ever very urgent and events progress at a speed of generations. Nobody is ever in a hurry.

Also they live way longer too, so you can afford to dilly-dally

Johnny Aztec posted:

It is a looong storied history of Sci-fi writers not understanding the numbers they are using.
They just pick what sounds good and run with it.

It's this, but also I think Frank was talking about how power structures exist to steal your productivity. Wasn't Muad'Dibs palace carved out of a mountain?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Frank thought he was so cool putting everything in the metric system but welp as a kid I couldn't visualize the scope of anything (and still can't really)

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Reminds me of the Riverworld series, where Philip Jose Farmer originally had characters eyeballing distances in standard units, saying things like "those mountains look 10,000 feet high". Then in later editions he decided to include metric equivalents as well, but just straight up converted the units with exact precision, so they now say things like "those mountains look about 10,000 feet high, or 3,048 meters".

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
There's actually zero difference between good and bad futures. You wali. You absolute kulon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

General Battuta posted:

There's actually zero difference between good and bad futures. You wali. You absolute kulon

another day volunteering at the museum fremen sietch. everyone keeps asking me if they can gently caress the deathstill. buddy, they wont even let me gently caress it