Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Having the need to accelerate out of danger or through an obstacle or pass someone at high speed is mostly a thing you invent for yourself. Stay off the highway and build a good practical understanding of throttle and engine speed control before complicating things needlessly.

I will be taking the advice of not accelerating away from problem areas. Probably less so staying off the highway. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

pin it to win it

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MomJeans420 posted:

pin it to win it

When in doubt, throttle out.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Collateral Damage posted:

Blue ninja buddies. :buddy:
its such a nice color.

got a slip on Delkevic with the bike when i bought it, thinking of trying it out, the 650 stock sound is somewhat agricultural but i also dont want a bike thats louder than a garbage truck.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Fix whisky throttle issue by cocking your wrist back a little/not grabbing the throttle with too forwardly rotated wrist and or lean forward a bit, keep your arm a little loose. Feathering the clutch isn't a fix, just a solution so you don't loose control. You won't die.

I catch a little bit of jerk in first now and then and I get disappointed in myself before fixing it

Relatable though, for a different reason. I am having problems turning in third onto side streets without bogging the engine, so I am usually in second. I am usually doing those kinds of turns 12-15mph, third will nearly stall at that speed. I wanna be faster.

In the nicest possible way: please don't dispense advice when you're still stumbling in the dark yourself. You're six steps up a 10,000 stair ziggurat telling the people at five steps you can see your house from up there. Myself and others have been climbing the thing for ages and we still can't see the top.

500excf type r posted:

when your engine is bogging, shift down.

when your engine is red lining, shift up.

hth

Ding ding

Martytoof posted:

I seem to bog the engine a little on slow speed turns because the throttle tends to be choppy given anything but super smooth input in 1st and sometimes 2nd. I'll take slow turns in 3rd gear and can really feel the engine chugga chugga chugga. I can never remember whether I can alleviate this by being in 2nd and feathering the clutch a little to smooth out input or whether that's just a disaster waiting to happen.

This is a normal thing, is one of the reasons starting on a 650 is stupid, and it gets worse the bigger your bike is in relation to cylinder count. Big v-twins are barely rideable in first without slipping the clutch so I usually put them in second and use lots of slip to keep poo poo smooth at low speeds. But low speeds only, you don't want to be unloading the driveline when you're really moving. You won't hurt the clutch or anything. For maximum slow smoothness, drag the rear brake and load the motor against it by slipping the clutch, it basically eliminates driveline lash and suspension movement and makes you look like a carpark master.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Correct on all three points.

Take your manual, find the pages with information about oil type and quantity, tear those out and throw the rest of the manual away.

Hey come on, the page with the service intervals has some value too

numberoneposter posted:

its such a nice color.

got a slip on Delkevic with the bike when i bought it, thinking of trying it out, the 650 stock sound is somewhat agricultural but i also dont want a bike thats louder than a garbage truck.

It will make the bike run worse, pipes lean out the engine slightly so if you want to gain anything but noise you'll need a power commander to go with.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

There's one more important thing to know about shifting, and that's to do it *before* you need to do it. Give yourself the time to prepare for corners, overtaking and such, by shifting down well before you need the control or the power.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Slavvy posted:

In the nicest possible way: please don't dispense advice when you're still stumbling in the dark yourself. You're six steps up a 10,000 stair ziggurat telling the people at five steps you can see your house from up there. Myself and others have been climbing the thing for ages and we still can't see the top.

I'm just a little past mount stupid.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mount stupid is when you're a year in and you've started to form a picture of what you're actually trying/supposed to do, you go faster and faster with wild confident abandon and then something unexpected happens and you crash viciously.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Martytoof posted:

I seem to bog the engine a little on slow speed turns because the throttle tends to be choppy given anything but super smooth input in 1st and sometimes 2nd. I'll take slow turns in 3rd gear and can really feel the engine chugga chugga chugga. I can never remember whether I can alleviate this by being in 2nd and feathering the clutch a little to smooth out input or whether that's just a disaster waiting to happen.

You can ride the clutch a great deal, don't be afraid of it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

Hey come on, the page with the service intervals has some value too
Oh good point. Maybe they're on the same page.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Finally got the motorcycle back today after 6 weeks at the shop for a fixing a botched warranty repair. :toot: Just in time for summer to kick it into high gear. :negative:

@Slavvy: it was a bad noise. Received a new set of bearings, gaskets, and an oil pump rebuild.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I'm doing my oil and cleaning the chain today. Mine is due for that 500 mile service interval. Not sure what I'm gonna do for that yet, my dealer is an hour away. There's a local specialty bike garage I might check out and ask them to look it over and let them know I did the oil.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phone posted:

Finally got the motorcycle back today after 6 weeks at the shop for a fixing a botched warranty repair. :toot: Just in time for summer to kick it into high gear. :negative:

@Slavvy: it was a bad noise. Received a new set of bearings, gaskets, and an oil pump rebuild.

Sell the bike.

Not joking. Dealer monkeys have taken apart your engine. Sell the bike.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Slavvy posted:

Sell the bike.

Not joking. Dealer monkeys have taken apart your engine. Sell the bike.

This is the 2nd time dealers have taken apart the motor.

I have to sell it in under a year anyways, so putting a few thousand miles on it before making it someone else’s basket case doesn’t seem too bad.

E: should have specified, Honda covered it under warranty due to work that was done previously due to the crank recall.

Phone fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 2, 2021

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
In a first for me, someone started reversing toward me at a traffic light. And the car had no reverse lights or brake lights, so I was pretty rattled to see a car all of a sudden backing into me. Fortunately I left plenty of space between myself and the car in front and could easily swerve. The driver was trying to get into a different lane to make a turn, but he waved at me, so I guess that means I have to forgive him.

Also, is it appropriate to give the motorcycle wave/salute to cops on motorcycles? I passed a line of them today and couldn't make up my mind.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phone posted:

This is the 2nd time dealers have taken apart the motor.

I have to sell it in under a year anyways, so putting a few thousand miles on it before making it someone else’s basket case doesn’t seem too bad.

E: should have specified, Honda covered it under warranty due to work that was done previously due to the crank recall.

Honestly it sounds like they hosed up the warranty repair and that's what caused your second problem.

T Zero posted:

In a first for me, someone started reversing toward me at a traffic light. And the car had no reverse lights or brake lights, so I was pretty rattled to see a car all of a sudden backing into me. Fortunately I left plenty of space between myself and the car in front and could easily swerve. The driver was trying to get into a different lane to make a turn, but he waved at me, so I guess that means I have to forgive him.

Also, is it appropriate to give the motorcycle wave/salute to cops on motorcycles? I passed a line of them today and couldn't make up my mind.

How white are you?

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I am a shade of mocha with extra cream and have a non-European name.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

T Zero posted:

lol do whatever you want, but anyone on a bike / scooter gets a wave from me

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

T Zero posted:

I am a shade of mocha with extra cream and have a non-European name.

Then it's 50/50 whether they wave back or interpret the gesture as reaching for a weapon and shoot you in self defence.

right arm posted:

lol do whatever you want, but anyone on a bike / scooter gets a wave from me

Cops aren't people, they're a waste of perfectly good baggers/goldwings.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Slavvy posted:

Honestly it sounds like they hosed up the warranty repair and that's what caused your second problem.

The PO (one of the POs?) had the bike when the recall was done, I picked it up used in October. I thought I heard something on the way back... turns out I did hear something.

The independent shop said "I don't hear anything", you indicated that the sound might be Quite Bad, and I rode it until the sound was Undeniably Bad. The dealer I took it to covered the work under warranty because it was coming from the bottom end.

I haven't ridden it in about 6 weeks, it sounded fine and pulled strong on the way back home. I'll put some miles on it this week, but for now I'm content.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

ACAB, never wave at cops

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

ONLY TRUST YOUR FISTS

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I watched a university motocop blow a red the other night while out riding my bicycle.

Cops of every kind can get hosed.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

For maximum slow smoothness, drag the rear brake and load the motor against it by slipping the clutch, it basically eliminates driveline lash and suspension movement and makes you look like a carpark master.

Haha, this is exactly what they teach here when youre doing motorcycle license here, havent had issues turning slow on any of the bikes Ive rode so far doing this.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I wave at motorcycle cops because they are just cool riders here, but my cops aren't american cops so IDK.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Last outing I waved at a guy on a veteran moped. My instructor thought that was funny, but I don't think it's right to discriminate based on displacement. Dude waved back too.

I still smile when I think back on that ride. The weather was perfect and I got to pick a route on twisty little used rural roads that I knew about from driving them. So much fun, never went above third gear in the twisty bits. I still got mental overload, lost concentration and got sleepy afterwards but my focus lasted more than an hour this time so it's getting better. We still haven't been on the highway but I'm not in any particular rush to try that out. Need to give it a go before my licence exam ride though so I at least know what it's like. I haven't worn earplugs while riding yet but I'm gonna try that next time we ride roads and I'll wear them when I go on the highway for sure. Next outing is probably gonna be low speed practice. Not super fun but necessary.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Invalido posted:

Next outing is probably gonna be low speed practice. Not super fun but necessary.

It can be! It's really satisfying to feel your turns get tighter and tighter, stopping distance get shorter, and clutch-brake-throttle transitions get smoother. Exaggerate pointing your chin in the direction you want the bike to go, keep your weight on the pegs, and shift your butt around on the seat.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I do kinda like low speed stuff. It feels safer to try to get some real decent lean on the bike at like 15mph vs highway speeds. Sometimes I feel like I might scrape my boot but it's probably not possible on my bike and it's just my imagination.

It's kinda cool I have 3 other friends looking at bikes now, cuz I keep pulling up on mine and it looks fun.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 2, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

My MSF class didn't get rescheduled again so this weekend I get to see what this biek thing is all about.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Youre about to have so much fun

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Youre about to have so much fun

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

T Zero posted:

Give them the finger

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011
So based off my last ride around town, my next parking lot practice will be - in addition to the usual low speed cornering and turns and such - starting on a hill. Smoothly. Without stalling or stressing. The parking lot near me has one of those dual-level lots, where the one in the back of the building has a ramp up to get there, so I can at least work on this not on a real street.

I understand intellectually what I need to do. I think. Sit on the rear brake, throttle up, ease off the clutch until I feel it pulling, let go of the brake while I apply more throttle, profit. Is that basically it? Is there any other advice I need to keep in mind?

Generally I think my taking off from a dead stop is fine and reasonably smooth, but it's not terribly fast yet. Which is fine, and I imagine that'll come with time, but I just get stressed about holding up traffic for like the extra two seconds.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Sounds right to me, remember you can drag the rear brake a bit even as you're moving so don't feel like you have to let off the brake too soon and risk going backwards into the car that pulls up too close behind you at a light. When I was first starting out I'd have the occasional stall even though I felt like I was getting the hang of it (I live in a hilly area so I was forced to get used to taking off on a hill all the time). I went to the local empty parking lot and spent probably under 10 mins just playing with the clutch and its engagement point, after that I didn't really have issues anymore.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Not advice, but sometimes I'll just sit at a light on a hill and put my foot behind the foot peg and let it dig into my shin like a man, not use any brake, the bike is being stopped from rolling back by my left foot.

Other times I'll use the front brake with two fingers and roll the throttle on and work the clutch simultaneously at take off.

I have not thought about using the rear brake and appreciate that info.

I haven't had an issue with stalling but all of the options I've tried are awkward and I never did a search to see if there was a better solution.

I really love this thread.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

It's good you know how to do it now using the rear brake.

It's incredible America lets people buy and ride motorcycles without making sure they know even the most basic poo poo like hillstarts (this isn't your fault, Shitzombs).

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

A lot of America has no hills lol

But also like America has basically zero instruction on anything, to get your driver’s license you basically just need to roughly keep in your lane for a couple blocks in some states. Also states’ rights and all that for setting their own regulations

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Not advice, but sometimes I'll just sit at a light on a hill and put my foot behind the foot peg and let it dig into my shin like a man, not use any brake, the bike is being stopped from rolling back by my left foot.

Other times I'll use the front brake with two fingers and roll the throttle on and work the clutch simultaneously at take off.

I have not thought about using the rear brake and appreciate that info.

I can't imagine not using the rear brake; juggling the throttle and clutch and front brake with my hands while worrying about rolling back? Nope.

Though also, if you're sitting on a hill and facing up, the bike's weight is going to shift onto the rear wheel anyway so you'll get better braking from that, rather than the front.

Steakandchips posted:

It's incredible America lets people buy and ride motorcycles without making sure they know even the most basic poo poo like hillstarts (this isn't your fault, Shitzombs).

It's pretty bullshit, I can't lie. I remember taking the MSF course and thinking, "hooray, I'm officially licensed to brap around an empty parking lot going like 25mph but gently caress it they're letting me take off on a freeway going 85."

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

:stare:

... left foot or right foot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Dzurlord posted:

I can't imagine not using the rear brake; juggling the throttle and clutch and front brake with my hands while worrying about rolling back? Nope.

Though also, if you're sitting on a hill and facing up, the bike's weight is going to shift onto the rear wheel anyway so you'll get better braking from that, rather than the front.
It's pretty bullshit, I can't lie. I remember taking the MSF course and thinking, "hooray, I'm officially licensed to brap around an empty parking lot going like 25mph but gently caress it they're letting me take off on a freeway going 85."

Better braking? Mate we are talking about a static bike, there are no dynamic braking forces involved. Doesn't matter which brake you use for holding on an incline, as long as it's stopped and you can manage to take off. Still, most of the time the rear just makes more sense.