Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Isn't this VF missing like one character from the series and that's it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

No, everyone is in. VF5 launched without Arashi, the sumo wrestler, but he was added in a later revision and is in FS. He's the only VF character to ever miss a game, he was introduced in 3 but skipped 4.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

TulliusCicero posted:

https://virtuafighter.fandom.com/wiki/Siba

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Storm One posted:

Is it safe to assume VF5 is in the former group since they ported it wholesale to another graphics engine in about a year, and that someone like Code Mystics could do a decent job of adding rollback if asked to do so?

No, stateness is much more difficult to capture in 3D games because a number of physics and shader calculations are time irreversible. Older 2D games brute force state capture by using emulator save states but that's technically infeasible in 3D games.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'M NOT A NETWORK PERSON

would the absorption servers be a good idea to use in tandem with rollback instead of delay to get better connection?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Pai is still real fun also it forced my hand and I ordered a JLF lever for my F300

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

If Siba was the only dlc character for Ultimate Showdown I would be incredibly happy, I've wanted to play as him since I saw him on an old VF cabinet as a child.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i just want kiryu in vf

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

MechaX posted:

Uh

I am just curious even though none of us can answer this

The cost of renting a bunch of high end google cloud space across the globe for what has to be indefinitely right now, is this really more cost effective than hiring one or two guys to just work on rollback netcode for the game?

Sega announced an arcade service a while back called "fog gaming" where arcade cabinets would turn into cloud servers when in standby, and so I think the netcode was designed specifically with this setup in mind and the whole google server thing is them trying to brute-force that same approach worldwide, even though it was specifically designed to be localised to metropolitan Japan.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Sega announced an arcade service a while back called "fog gaming" where arcade cabinets would turn into cloud servers when in standby, and so I think the netcode was designed specifically with this setup in mind and the whole google server thing is them trying to brute-force that same approach worldwide, even though it was specifically designed to be localised to metropolitan Japan.

So you're saying we got a bad arcade port

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Well I don't even know if they're still doing the fog thing at all, seeing as they announced it before they sold all their arcades and haven't mentioned it again since.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
This is my first real fighting game and i really enjoy the big fat guy

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Smoking Crow posted:

I'M NOT A NETWORK PERSON

would the absorption servers be a good idea to use in tandem with rollback instead of delay to get better connection?

SFV does this and the relay connections are always horrible

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Playing a bunch of vf5 today.
Dont think its my kind of game but sarah is pretty cool. I like her flamingo tricks a lot.

Everything feels so stiff coming from bamco 3d games and it feels way harder to judge whats safe to punish but maybe im just too green to eyeball it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The FWOOSH when you dodge a blow (or get dodged) feels so good

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

Dont think its my kind of game but sarah is pretty cool. I like her flamingo tricks a lot.

Everything feels so stiff coming from bamco 3d games and it feels way harder to judge whats safe to punish but maybe im just too green to eyeball it

Yeah it feels super deliberate. I don't know if I would say stiff but I know what you mean. Turns feel really distinct. And I'm having the same issue knowing what I can safely punish. Rule of thumb is low kicks tend to leave you negative though right?

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
I always try to tell people to think as VF as more of like a card game in that there's turn taking. Theres also turn stealing as well. But every single action you do is deliberate and has a potential consequence if your opponent calls you out on it. Tekken is kinda the opposite since you can just cancel your movement into blocking or movement into movement. In VF there's no such thing. but you CAN make yourself a bit safer though fuzzy gaurding and evade dash canceling: both of which are covered in the tutorial.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wonder if you tell Sony that the Blitz Netcode they're using for VF is also developed by the dirty gaijin just like GGPO will they just remove online play from the game entirely?
:lol:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

yeah

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Harada has challenged sega to make a new vf so that he can feel the spirit of competition again

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I wonder if you tell Sony that the Blitz Netcode they're using for VF is also developed by the dirty gaijin just like GGPO will they just remove online play from the game entirely?

oh yeah dude for sure

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

cheeseboy58 posted:

This is my first real fighting game and i really enjoy the big fat guy

Welcome cheeseboy58

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Real hurthling! posted:

Use command training. Give Vanessa and Lei Fei a try.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I understand now how gootecks became a conspiracy theorist.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Do I just need to let go of G as fast as possible for Akira's K+G knee or is there some sort of trick to do that consistently

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

A Bystander posted:

Do I just need to let go of G as fast as possible for Akira's K+G knee or is there some sort of trick to do that consistently

You press G for one frame. Good luck!

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
Are you playing on pad or stick? It’s a difficult input to do consistently. On stick I push K+G while barely grazing G and it comes out somewhat consistently

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the trick is that akira is one of the hardest characters in any fighting game

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is that move more difficult than Taunt Jet Upper? I thought that one was also one frame.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/KaroshiMyriad/status/1400190598259253250/photo/1

Possible news about Unist or Melty on the nintendo direct, since they are both on Switch.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Lynx Winters posted:

You press G for one frame. Good luck!

Hm, I see.

Endorph posted:

the trick is that akira is one of the hardest characters in any fighting game

This is hosed up, but I believe it.

Anyway, I will practice. Thank you.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

A Bystander posted:

Anyway, I will practice.
:hai:

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

A Bystander posted:

In command training mode, pulling up the move list and pressing triangle will play a demo of the execution, with input timings on a side window.

Note that this option is not available in free training.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

dragon enthusiast posted:

No, stateness is much more difficult to capture in 3D games because a number of physics and shader calculations are time irreversible. Older 2D games brute force state capture by using emulator save states but that's technically infeasible in 3D games.

No, that's not really the problem. All those physics and shader calculations, as long as they're for visuals only, don't matter, but separating what matters from what doesn't, the gameplay element from the visual, is what's hard because unreal and unity aren't designed that way. But again, it's not a 3D thing. Once the gameplay and visual states are separated you find a lot of those complex visual things aren't really trouble because rollbacks are really rollback-and-forth. They always end on on the same frame they started! So if you have a fancy hadoken with a billion particles, after the rollback it's either going to be still there or despawned because it hit something or never got thrown. So you never need that to be reversible, instead you need to be able to fast-forward one (because you need the particle system for the impact splash or whatever) which is much easier.

The more problematic stuff is going to come from much more mundane tasks like memory allocation, which is usually slow because engines usually aren't designed with recreating a full scene in a fraction of a frame in mind.

Smoking Crow posted:

Sure, as mentioned earlier every thing you can think of to reduce lag to benefit delay netcode with also work for rollback. Like, delay/rollback are both about hiding lag while that server thing is about reducing lag so it'll help any method by having less lag to hide. That's gonna be Riot's approach for their fighting game for example, since they already do it for their other games like Valorant. Capcom apparently bungled their own attempt at it but just like rollback that doesn't mean it's a bad idea, just that modern Capcom's SF team is a bad idea.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Chev posted:

it's not a 3D thing. Once the gameplay and visual states are separated you find a lot of those complex visual things aren't really trouble

So...

Storm One posted:

Is it safe to assume VF5 is in the former group since they ported it wholesale to another graphics engine in about a year, and that someone like Code Mystics could do a decent job of adding rollback if asked to do so?

Or is the engine change completely irrelevant as an indicator of game/graphics separation?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The graphics/renderer side of things doesn't matter to netcode at all as long as it can quickly jump to a different state. Doesn't really change things if it's Renderware, the Dragon Engine's renderer, or even if for some reason they went and used the Hedgehog Engine's graphics side of things.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Basically we just don't know enough about the dragon engine. But if I had to make an educated guess it's probably not cleanly separated because it's a dose of extra care most programmers don't put in if they don't need something like instant replays, good netplay or arbitrary quicksaves, none of which are Yakuza features IIRC. Also because if it were then they might just have considered adding rollback rather than finding excuses.

Chev fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 3, 2021

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

A Bystander posted:

hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

"consistently"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Texted this to my friend and got the highest compliment he ever gives, "fuckin' saved"

Be proud! Funny as hell.

There's nothing funny about my new life philosophy :saddumb:

Question about the wake up game in VF, what is generally recommended for dealing with wake up kicks? Is it generally considered a mid/low guess for the standing player if they make a read that the opponent will do a wake up kick or are there option selects/fuzzy guards to deal with both types of kick? I've had varied success with trying to bait and weave out of range, I usually find myself either just barely getting clipped or ending up too far out of range to punish the whiff and causing a reset back to neutral, but that might be more because I haven't figured out what move to use for long range whiff punishing

For your entertainment, a round where I experimented with neutral jumping to deal with it and kept getting lucky. Also demonstrated, my frustration that Sega didn't include the purple tanktop option this time around so I can't fully commit to playing as Lee in this game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7lRjpTmXCE