Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Freaquency posted:

People you know leave voicemails? The biggest pet peeve I have is people calling me when I’m busy or away and not leaving anything, then getting pissy when I don’t call them back right away. If you didn’t leave a VM or didn’t follow up with a text or email, then I am going to assume every time that it wasn’t important. :shrug:

Is that just to be spiteful or something? My job is p active and fieldwork oriented so basically everyone has some sort of Bluetooth headset so they can call people while their hands or full or such and it’s always understood if someone is right in the middle of something and can’t easily answer they’re gonna be calling back as soon as they can.

If someone called it’s something important already, that’s why they called. A VM just wastes time because you’ll need to call me anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

If someone called it’s something important already, that’s why they called. A VM just wastes time because you’ll need to call me anyways.

Maybe in your job. Maybe in your job if Jim calls me I already have an idea of what the call is about because, duh, it's Jim. Not in my job. In my job old boomers call about unimportant bullshit because they can't be bothered to type three sentences in an email, or because they can't remember who actually does what, or because they think their time is more valuable than mine, or because they have no reading comprehension skills and need me to read to them over the phone what I've already emailed. Or it could be any of a hundred things, and if they don't tell me which thing in their message then I'm going to have to call and find out, and then I'm probably going to have to go research the thing and call them back again because I don't know every single thing off the top of my head, and neither of us want to just sit on the phone and listen to me breathe and click things while I look it up. So maybe they could take 10 seconds to tell me what they're calling about in their voicemail?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Life gets better when you attach a small cost to bothering you.
Doesn't have to be anything significant. A minor delay, some small inconvenience, but suddenly maybe bothering you isn't automatically a no-lose proposition, and maybe there's some else easier to suck time and effort from like some poorly organised vampire.

People who really need your help won't even notice the speedbump, but people who are bothering you for the sake of it will go elsewhere.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
I have never heard of anyone ever using or listening to voicemail, isn't that like asking someone to send a fax?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You might have heard someone say "sending an email to so and so is like screaming into the void!" Well, back in the day, we really did scream into the void. Everybody had a number you could dial at which point they would ignore you and it would go to a recording prompt and you could scream into the void and also get ignored there.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Darkest Auer posted:

I have never heard of anyone ever using or listening to voicemail, isn't that like asking someone to send a fax?

I used it all the drat time when I started out working. Now when I call people actually pick up the phone so I have no idea how it works anymore.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Darkest Auer posted:

I literally never return calls from anyone who isn't my boss unless they leave a voicemail. 90% of the time, they've found someone else who can solve their problem by the time I get to my phone, and if they don't leave me a voicemail, I assume it wasn't a problem only I could solve and they have the brains to find someone who isn't busy.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

ArbitraryC posted:

Is that just to be spiteful or something? My job is p active and fieldwork oriented so basically everyone has some sort of Bluetooth headset so they can call people while their hands or full or such and it’s always understood if someone is right in the middle of something and can’t easily answer they’re gonna be calling back as soon as they can.

99% of the time it’s either inane bullshit that could have been an email, or a trouble ticket… which should have been an email. It’s almost always someone trying to do an end-around our already-established workflow because they don’t want to wait 15 minutes for someone to respond to their ticket, so gently caress ‘em. There are people that I will call back because I know that it’s actually something important, but that is a very, very small subset of people.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Call yourself and leave enough voicemails to fill the bank. Never empty it and enjoy your voicemail-free existence.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Most of my voicemails are people asking me for a day off and avoiding their supervisor knowing that the answer is no. I just tell them no and hang up before they try to twist my words because it is a thing they have tried to do before in the past.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
At some point my cell provider swapped around voicemail stuff and my box never got set up. It's pretty glorious but I have to pay attention to the urgent corporate landline caller who can't text and instead does the call twice and hope approach.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Imagined posted:

The worst voicemail of all time is "Just checking if you got my email." We should be allowed one free pass per lifetime to murder someone who sent a voicemail like that.

The work-from-home hell for me has been getting an email and in the exact same second it shows up in my inbox I get an IM from the same person asking if I read the email.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Lazyfire posted:

The work-from-home hell for me has been getting an email and in the exact same second it shows up in my inbox I get an IM from the same person asking if I read the email.

I feel this so hard. I also consistently deal with a dude who will send me IMs and if I don't respond immediately or give some sort of "yes, I have received this message" indicator, he will follow up every few seconds with "please confirm that you have received this message," or "hello, are you there?" Of course if I send him an IM he will go for hours without a response...

EDIT: For me, this same person is actually the "simultaneous email and IM" guy as you described. To make matters more hilarious there, he is also the type who will slowly respond to emails and ALWAYS in the order they were received in... so a day later he is responding to email three of what is now a fifteen email long chain and he has given the answer to something that was sorted out in email four...

Gin_Rummy fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 2, 2021

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Gin_Rummy posted:

he is also the type who will slowly respond to emails and ALWAYS in the order they were received in... so a day later he is responding to email three of what is now a fifteen email long chain and he has given the answer to something that was sorted out in email four...

Those people are the loving worst and I hate them and I don't know how they breathe and walk at the same time.
Read the loving thread.
Reply to latest. (Don't just ignore the goddamn Outlook prompt you douchenozzle.)

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Lazyfire posted:

I work with a guy who sometimes does the *** PLEASE READ *** thing in the email subject line and then will ping people in group chat "please see my email". Thankfully it's not a frequent thing but I'm always like dude everyone wants everyone to read their emails yours aren't special

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I don't even think I have a phone at my new company; everything is Teams.

I can't remember the last time I used a phone at my old company; people using phones and softphones mostly died with the onset of COVID. Even before that, though, I really only needed the phone to call the Help Desk.

For my personal phone, I definitely don't call back random numbers if they don't leave a voicemail. If I know who it is, I'll call them back. This is the one place where I think that leaving a voicemail is a waste of time; if I know you, and you call, and I'm busy, I'll call you back. (If I don't, then you're a random number and probably trying to check in on my car's extended warranty :v: )

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Can't believe all these people in your companies don't set sent email as low priority. I have found that is the quickest way to get someone to respond to an email.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

"What will the turnaround on (this project I won't send details for until you tell me the turnaround, that also depends on other departments) be?"

e: the project has been received and I immediately developed a splitting headache after working on it for a few minutes from how poorly it's set up

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 2, 2021

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I get an email when there's free breakfast rolls in the lunch room. That's definitely high priority.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It better be marked as important.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Collateral Damage posted:

Company held a survey after we had been 100% WFH for 6 months which showed that 90%+ of people were happy with working from home, and team managers reported that people are more efficient and we're getting more done overall.

The only group which reported they weren't massively happy with WFH was HR, of course. So we had a company meeting a few weeks ago and the HR-led plan is to return to at least 50% in-office work.

HR - We're not happy until you're not happy.

So what happened when this was pointed out to HR?

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Solkanar512 posted:

My agency acknowledged everyone wanted to continue working from home but their excuse was that an unnamed partner agency complained about WFH and we had turnover over the last year so :shrug:

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

SkyeAuroline posted:

"What will the turnaround on (this project I won't send details for until you tell me the turnaround, that also depends on other departments) be?"

e: the project has been received and I immediately developed a splitting headache after working on it for a few minutes from how poorly it's set up
"I'm going to continue to base my deliverable dates based on estimates from non-domain-experts who filed tickets instead of having those who will work on implementing those tickets provide their expertise-based estimates."

"Then I'm going to call the latter group out as 'disengaged' and berate them when we continue to miss those dates."

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

shout out to all the executive assistants in the world. your job is hard as poo poo and every time i am involved in scheduling it sends me into a depressive episode. god bless you and the work you do.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

old bean factory posted:

I get an email when there's free breakfast rolls in the lunch room. That's definitely high priority.

I get emails from the canteen in the head office, telling me what the specials are for the day.

I work from home, my region is 200 miles from head office, I really don’t care what soup they’re having.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Has anyone complained about Agile on this page yet?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Scientastic posted:

I get emails from the canteen in the head office, telling me what the specials are for the day.

I work from home, my region is 200 miles from head office, I really don’t care what soup they’re having.

i'd probably at least try to match it in solidarity or out of boredom of having to decide what to eat every day

where in the hell has a canteen any more, anyway? do you work remote IT at the department store from are you being served?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ArbitraryC posted:

Just because it's important doesn't mean it's more important than what I'm doing. If you don't leave a voice mail (even just "it's about task XYZ") then unless you're my boss, you're not even on the priority list. It's not spite, it's time management: if I interrupt my flow for something trivial I might not finish something by end of day that I otherwise would have.

I kind of want to know what field you're in because in my experience and that of literally everyone I know (I c/ped your post into the group discord :v:) the attitude is "if you can't be bothered to leave a message, it's not important enough to interrupt what I'm doing." But we're all devs or dev adjacent.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 3, 2021

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I get voice mails all the time at my work. Most of them say things like hey this is so-and-so could you please give me a call back? Or hey this is so-and-so and I think your email (that said do not contact me for questions) had something wrong and it could you call me back please?

I did get one voicemail once that was kind of important in the last year.

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Y'know what's dumb poo poo? When a supervisor/boss makes some task seem really important and time-sensitive, setting really early and crunchy deadlines. Then, when they get the results of said task, they don't look at them for over a week.

Thanks for wasting my time and energy.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I get very frustrated about decision making in a large company, because poo poo takes forever to happen, and the people who are closest to the problem aren't allowed to actually do something about it.
A new guy was hired that I was responsible for training. After a very short time, it was clear to me that new guy was a huge safety liability when it came to operating equipment. He wasn't careless or reckless, he was just extremely inexperienced. I spoke to my supervisor about it, and he decided to see for himself. So my supervisor spends some time watching new guy, and realizes holy gently caress, somebody is going to die because this kid doesn't know what the hell he's doing. Supervisor speaks to his supervisor, recommending that new guy gets tossed. Now this is where things get hazy. After passing a few more rungs up the ladder, Word has stalled out because of ????. Repeated calls and emails to try and speed up a decision has been fruitless, and we're getting to the point where nobody knows who is holding the ball, and nobody wants to make the actual call to cut this guy loose. By the time the wheels start turning, new guy will probably be past his probation period, so we'll end up having to wait until something bad happens, at which time everybody will just look around going :shrug:
The whole point of having probation periods is for this exact reason, but it doesn't look like anybody is authorized to act, so all we can do is document that we've reported things, and hope he gets better really fast.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The whole calls/voicemails/emails thing is highly job dependent. In my job I have to juggle two phone numbers, voicemails, texts, faxes, and email, and if I get a call with no voicemail then it might as well not have happened. If a call comes into the landline number at work then it won't even be logged and I will never know about it unless they leave a message, since I'm working from home. Pretty sure the extensions at work don't really log caller ID, either, but it's been so long since I've been in the office I can't remember.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

boar guy posted:

where in the hell has a canteen any more, anyway? do you work remote IT at the department store from are you being served?

We make deliveries around the clock, if there weren’t a canteen our warehouse staff would probably all quit for any of the many other hub delivery sites in the midlands.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

boar guy posted:

i'd probably at least try to match it in solidarity or out of boredom of having to decide what to eat every day

My canteen is currently closed because of covid. Otherwise lunch options would be byo or a sandwich from the corner shop a fifteen minute walk along a busy road away. My last job had no alternative to the canteen without driving aside from a pub that changed hands every few months so couldn't be relied on to open or be serving edible food.

Most big manufacturing sites also have canteens. They're pretty common

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Is a canteen the same thing as a break room? We’ve got one of those with some vending machines and some kitchen stuff. Or is it more like an actual staffed kitchen that serves food?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

AHH F/UGH posted:

Is a canteen the same thing as a break room? We’ve got one of those with some vending machines and some kitchen stuff. Or is it more like an actual staffed kitchen that serves food?

I'm assuming canteen in this sense is a little closer to cafeteria in meaning.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

We don't know yet. There was obviously a huge negative reaction which presumably got passed up the chain.

I expect it to be like when they wanted to make it a rule that everyone should have their cameras on all the time during online meetings, which most people simply ignore.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

AHH F/UGH posted:

Staffed kitchen that serves food

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lol debated if I wanted to share about this...

but yeah you know Roy Den Hollander? Google him to take a wild ride including his appearance on the Colbert Report, appearance on various radio shows including Anthony and Opie, and eventual suicide after killing the son of a judge who was overseeing some Epstein related court proceedings.

I worked with that dude.

To begin with, there's a dark and largely shadowy world out there. It's called document review, and it's where legal careers go to die. If you have an unusual or checkered path thru the legal field, either by being fired or having trouble getting hired to be a regular associate at a law firm or other legal position, you can elect to go to a legal staffing agency that will place you in a dark and dusty office building in your local downtown to speed click thru emails and other legal discovery, stating if its relevant to the case or it needs more advanced eyes to check for privilege and the like.

Some people in the forums have done this or continue to do this. There's some stigma involved with it, and any savvy person afterwards does their level best to cloak it so it doesn't come up in later interviews. But it's a necessary thing for a lot of lawyers to land on when they're planning their next steps, and guarantees like 30/hr for no brain work that doesn't take up any space mentally or emotionally. Click, and forget. Everyone's story is different so apologies if I'm mischaracterizing or denigrating what you guys have done or do, more power to you, who cares.

But for me.....I saw some poo poo when doing that kind of work. Some poo poo.

Barely functional alcoholics with clear "water" bottles yelling out loud about how they don't understand emails as they sit jammed in rows of as many computers you can shove into a small windowless room. Obviously dysfunctional 50 year olds in dress shirts trying to not cry as they talk about they used to be somebody before the Recession and showing you pictures of their kids/boats they had during the good times. Even older people with visibly flaking and diseased skin falling asleep on their keyboards before snoring awake to jam at the keyboard before konking out again, while their burnt out supervisor sits behind them in disbelief. Just the weirdest possible social and personal dynamics that can occur where you have like dozens of supposedly smart but definitely neurotic people wrangling with their personal and career disappointments and no real way to channel it as all they have to do is sit still for 8 to 10 hours a day.

I've seen some poo poo, and there's plenty of grist for the thread there, but let's get back to ol' Ron. Like most people who end up doing doc review, I had unconventional path after law school. Well even before, law school. I didn't really choose to be an attorney and kind of rolled into it based on test scores and little else, graduated from a pretty alright school, then immediately decamped to work and live abroad in something largely unrelated. Coming back to the states, my dad was like you have a law degree, might as well use it. So I did, passed the bar, then not sure what else to do, signed up to a legal staffing agency.

Anyway yada yada yada, I'm working this job in Manhattan. Seems relatively stable, the people have been working cases stemming from the Wall Street 08 crash for years there, enough that they've differentiated the worker pool into actual different layers based on competency and not being too super weird or offputting. I start there and immediately get bumped up to the level where more experienced hands work based off, I guess, a) being able to read fast, and b) not being an absolutely depressing example of a wasted life.

Met a lot of nice people when I moved up, including friends I have to this day, people that have moved onto sweet jobs at the federal government and not so sweet but much more conventional jobs in the private sector. They tended to be younger, because usually older people were such bitter angry lawyers angry at their fate or whose brains have been absolutely vaporized by 10 years of clicking a button that their eyes go empty and they slouch around more like herbivores on the savanna then people that presumably passed the bar.

And one of my friends got put into a small office of 3 with another nicer older guy who managed to not be any of the above, and loving Roy Eventual Murderer Hollander. My friend would tell me wild stories about the dude, he'd send me the vids of Roy yelling on the radio about how horrible women are, and that Colbert clip about suing a club for having a ladies night. And I actually met Roy a couple of times, never really talked to him tho. But he didn't present as a typical incel. First, he was old, 50ish or 60ish guy, who actually dressed pretty well for that kinda job, jacket and dress shirt, and tried to keep an appearance as a person who supposedly was high up in the chain in a well known whiteshoe law firm.

But a) he clicked buttons for a living, and b) he loved talking about women. My friend was in his late twenties and Roy loved that, and kept asking him to a club so he could meet younger women. Women, he would always say, that would rip him off. That he had to date young because when they were older they would rob you blind. That his horrible ex-wife and current stripper (he claimed she was in the posters you'd see on top of NYC taxi cabs) ruined his wife. Etc Etc Etc.

Crazy to think that this guy ended up killing a judge that had ruled against him in his divorce proceeding (afaik).

Oh yeah one last thing about that dude. He got into a brawl in the office hallway.

Our offices are small honeycombs of thin walls and cheap rows of tables. I was sitting next to the wall when I see Roy walk past me to the shitter in the hallway that was shared with a delivery company on the same tiny floor. Then I hear banging, a muffled voices arguing, and suddenly a voice yelling "WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO ABOUT IT". Then loving pandemonium as the thin no doubt asbsestos laced walls shake and rumble.

I run out there to see Roy Den Hollander and a guy in a delivery shirt and pants in a mutual headlock, moving side to side like a two headed middle aged crab. My mouth is open and all I could manage is a "what the gently caress", before my burly supervisor bursts beside me, takes the delivery person by the collar and spins him away. The delivery guy loving recovers from that and keeps walking back to his office like thats loving normal, saying whatever.

Anyway the whole office poured out and the supervisor's supervisor, a squat solidly built white guy with white hair, a limp, and an aura that was vaguely militaristic, asks Roy about what the gently caress happened in front of a desperately understimulized crowd of people.

Roy says, "I wanted to use the bathroom. Then this guy wouldn't come out. He does, says what are you going to do about it, and then I engaged in a frontal kick."

Everybody starts laughing, the sergeant boss nods and says what can you do, and we all go back to our "desks" including Hollander because this is an acceptable thing to do in a workplace?

Anyway that's my Roy story, well dressed, absolutely skeevy (including hitting on the younger women in that work den), and eventual murderer.

I got out of that after a year or two, and riding the consultant/contractor lifestyle into my current job in compliance in the banking industry. But I still think about my time there and how absolutely strange it was, because there are stranger stories than this.

But I've written enough, apologies to anyone who has read all this poo poo.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
You know what they say.

Jeffrey Epstein's Judge's Son didn't kill himself.

Good story, though. A window onto infinite sadness.