Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

Unless you're talking serious allergic reactions any side-effect that comes on within 10 mins is probably mostly adrenaline or anxiety (or both) from the shot.
Why are they putting adrenaline and anxiety in the shot is this Hillary's doing where are the pizza tunnels?! :freep:

e:
The Ramanujan–Nagell equation is 2n - 7 = x2.

7 is also the most common result if you throw a pair of fair 6 sided dice, leading to an association with luck.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yes, but you have to cancel your original appointment with no real way of knowing if there are closer slots, which adds a certain frisson to things.

Also my (13 year old) nephew is showing symptoms and has a positive lateral flow test, hoo-loving-ray. His entire family have been fanatical about distancing and precautions for over a year, but nice weather plus teenagers and that's all out the window.

Don't know where he is, but this is going on in Bristol:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/02/expert-expresses-fears-over-covid-outbreaks-at-bristol-schools

quote:

Outbreaks of the Delta variant at several schools across Bristol could signal that coronavirus infection rates in the city are higher than reported, an expert has said.

Around 11 primary and secondary schools are understood to be affected by the outbreak, with some cases confirmed as the variant first identified in India.

A parent at one school said that 12 cases had been confirmed across various year groups, including one member of staff. Most schools broke up for half term on 28 May.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Feral Jesus posted:

I'm booked for my first jab Friday, had a text asking me to compete a form but it requires your nhs number which is i didn't even know was a thing. Is it going to be an issue if i walk in on friday without doing it?

I didn't have to show any ID. I'd pre-booked the appointment, they simply asked if I had, then asked for my name, computer said yes, and they let me join the queue. At this point, they're happy to vaccinate whoever turns up, the era where vaccines were a scarce resource to be handed out only to the deserving few ended about 3 weeks ago.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

East London, we've been surge testing for it all week anyway.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So if they drop the gap between shots and I've already booked my second jab, is it possible to book a different date?

I’m in the same boat but there’s no way to tell without cancelling your appointment first and hoping. Which is a pain, because a site has opened in the building next door but I have an appointment booked in new cross at the end of the month. And I can’t even see slots without cancelling first. And phoning 119 is no help - they’re just going through the same screens as you and I.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Lobster God posted:

Had my first Pfizer about an hour ago. Bit nauseous and light headed for 10 mins or so after. Now my arm's a bit tingly and head feels heavy but not much else so far.

Be sure you tell the doc before the second shot.
The second Pfizer shot is meant to be the one that gives the worst side effects, so just be safe and tell them.
I got Pfizer and had to tell them of my recent medical history of being on blood thinners, and then they said it should be ok but just to watch out.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Feral Jesus posted:

I'm booked for my first jab Friday, had a text asking me to compete a form but it requires your nhs number which is i didn't even know was a thing. Is it going to be an issue if i walk in on friday without doing it?

If anyone needs to find their NHS number they can use the service at https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/online-services/find-nhs-number/

It's also usually on any appointment letter from your GP or NHS hospital as well as your birth certificate if you have access to it and are young enough to be born since they last changed the numbering system in 1996

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Kids being failed by the government again. (Mind you, I'm not totally sure what 'catching up' means - catching up with who or what?)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/sir-kevan-collins-resigns-schools-b1858441.html

quote:

Boris Johnson has been dealt a major blow as the schools’ coronavirus catch-up tsar quit his post in protest at a funding package he described as falling “far short of what is needed” to aid the pandemic recovery.

Sir Kevan Collins’ resignation follows the government’s announcement of a £1.4bn package aimed at alleviating the impact of the crisis on children’s learning, but the funding – amounting to £50 per pupil – was denounced by school leaders as “pitiful”.

Shortly after education secretary Gavin Williamson unveiled the plans, Sir Kevan, who was reported to have called for £15bn worth of funding and 100 extra hours of teaching per pupil, was said to be on the brink of quitting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume it is in reference to the notion that the children must learn anything they have missed because of covid.

I think personally they will probably do fine without some of it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

(Mind you, I'm not totally sure what 'catching up' means - catching up with who or what?)

They need to catch up to the arbitrary milestones that will determine the next 70 years of their lives for reasons.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They need to catch up with their cohort for safety in numbers from MPs and royals.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Red Oktober posted:

Pure anecdote too, but all of the 30-34s that I have asked have had it. As above you don’t even need to be asked - just plug your details into the NHS site.

The vaccine rollout appears to be the one thing the UK are really, really bossing. because it’s nothing to do with the government

The rollout honestly seems pretty effective. I got a letter last week inviting me to book an appointment to get vaccinated, which was pretty impressive considering I left the UK a decade ago. They got my name wrong though, because some things never change

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The vaccine rollout has been fantastic, but if you're one of the people who has a problem, there is no way to rectify it. I know someone who had their first dose back in January and has not been able to book a second. It's now been so long she's probably going to have to start again. The vax centre where I work had problems over the weekend with people turning up for their second appointments to discover that only the 'wrong' vaccine was available. Because the system thinks they've had their second appointment, they have to rebook through 119, and the people on the phone don't know which centre stocks what.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Doccykins posted:

they last changed the numbering system in 1996
Well this explains why I thought I had two NHS numbers

OwlFancier posted:

I assume it is in reference to the notion that the children must learn anything they have missed because of covid.

I think personally they will probably do fine without some of it.
Hopefully they miss out on simultaneous equations, I can’t think of a more useless thing I got taught at school.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

TACD posted:

Well this explains why I thought I had two NHS numbers

I still remember my old format one off by heart, but have never managed to remember the new one!

quote:

Hopefully they miss out on simultaneous equations, I can’t think of a more useless thing I got taught at school.

I've used those a lot in my working life, and lots of other maths things.

I think 'scripture', applique and french knots were 3 of the most useless things I got taught at school. Why learn all those fancy stitches when there are staplers and double-sided tape in the world? And as to learning The Magnificat and the Nunc Dimmitis etc off by heart - no use. Anyway, I couldn't do it, I've never been good at rote learning.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

What about those facebook puzzles with all the different kinds of fruits?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think 'scripture', applique and french knots were 3 of the most useless things I got taught at school.
What about those facebook puzzles where people make moral statements by pretending they've read scripture?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

LOL

https://twitter.com/Flora_Gibson_/status/1400089265372073988?s=20

https://twitter.com/MrJMetcalfe/status/1399852835068579846?s=20

Lots more here:

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23LifeStories%20keir&src=typeahead_click

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 3, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I only judge people I haven't found yet.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

This account is legitimately fascinating because it's both a very sophisticated bot but also the most absolutely obvious bot I've ever seen.

It's sophisticated in that it's doing an extremely good job in selecting an organic mix of stories to signal-boost, really exactly the sort of thing you'd expect from a fubpee account - none of the tell-tale sudden bursts of "campaign" activity, no "Hi I'm someone in the UK who is suddenly extremely interested in this obscure local politics story from Australia", posts at a reasonable pace and pattern (humans never post on a regular schedule, you get bursts of activity), even a couple of "regionalised" posts that suggest they're a real person. Even the name feels authentic.

However whoever's running it is also making the most completely obvious bot-tell mistakes. I mean first of all, joined last month and has a #FBPE screen name? Seriously? Literally no engagement - the account has *never* posted a reply. Hashtagging random words is a big giveaway, at least for someone claiming to be a young woman (boomers loving love doing that poo poo though). Weirdest of all are the posts that are very obviously "Paste headline of story" ones, complete with an image from the story... but no URL for it. Like that would actually take a lot more effort to do, either as a human *or as a bot*, than just pasting the URL. Biggest tell though? A fubpee account that's never once mentioned Corbyn.

This post I think gives the game away because it's so specific; randomly searching text from its other tweets reveals that it's actually copying the text and images from random UK centrist and "soft-left" high-follower accounts. What I can't get my head around is *why* it's doing this. As an attempt at legend-building it's like wearing one of those Mission Impossible rubber masks but leaving your MI nametag on as you infiltrate the enemy base - a huge amount of effort to pass one particular sub-Turing test, but absolutely none whatsoever to pass any of the others. Also that stripping the URL quirk is *incredibly* weird. I could understand doing that if you were trying to build a corpus to train a bot to talk like a fubpee (and *there's* a techno-ethics question for the ages, surely such a thing counts as cruelty to an artificial life form) but it just makes absolutely no sense if you're then going to go to the effort of putting the image card in.

I assume this is actually just some sort of trial run thing, testing ways of avoiding Twitters bot-detection, and the lessons learned will be used in other accounts later, it's just interesting to catch this sort of thing in the wild.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

^^ Hmm I dunno, doesn't end in bunchofnumbers, probably not a bot ducks twisto wrath

Guavanaut posted:

What about those facebook puzzles with all the different kinds of fruits?

Was it this thread where we talked about one that looked super simple, but was actually insanely hard and required super advanced maths to solve, and the integer solutions were crazy long numbers?

That was fun.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

fascinating because it's both a very sophisticated bot but also the most absolutely obvious bot I've ever seen.

But enough about Starmer

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/IoDThenAndNow/status/1400325058464190465

The past really is another country.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

TACD posted:

Wait, do they teach those in school as in every school everywhere always, or as an optional thing?

Simultaneous equations are one of the most important things to learn for physics/statistics/math, i.e. for any "STEM with high earning potential" type of career

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was taught them and as I didn't do maths outside of school it must have been there.

I can't remember what they are, what they're for, or how to do them though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I remember spending a lot of time learning simultaneous equations.

It's on the pile of things I remember knowing about but don't actually remember, along with sin/cos/tan and differentials.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

Was it this thread where we talked about one that looked super simple, but was actually insanely hard and required super advanced maths to solve, and the integer solutions were crazy long numbers?

That was fun.

There is an answer that only requires further maths and not super advanced maths to solve, if you allow negative integers.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 3, 2021

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I was ill on the day my class first started learning about quadratic equations, so when I came to the next lesson I was dropped into all this mystifying stuff with brackets and lines arcing between different letters and numbers, and absolutely no attempt was made by the teacher to get me up to speed.

I still have no idea what they're actually for.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/antoguerrera/status/1400345186379743238?s=21

This is what we scrapped the upgrade of our old Warrior infantry fighting vehicles for, by the way.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Payndz posted:

They're for rearranging in order to find possible solutions.

Occasionally they intersect with things like ballistics or electronics or bridges, but the real world is a mucky place that contains lib dems and ducks, so best avoided if possible. (^^ like so)

I recall that Pythagoras' theorem used to be a popular one to hate on, with poo poo like this

from people who absolutely would not have listened if they did try to teach any of those things (as evidenced by 'growing food' and 'anything to do with banking' being things that actually were).

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Payndz posted:

I was ill on the day my class first started learning about quadratic equations, so when I came to the next lesson I was dropped into all this mystifying stuff with brackets and lines arcing between different letters and numbers, and absolutely no attempt was made by the teacher to get me up to speed.

Same with me and long division - I’ve never learnt how to do it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You won't be carrying a calculator with you every day when you're older :mad:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Wonder how many builders don't know what a theorem is but can use the "3-4-5 square" method to get a square corner.

Probably not many actually since nothing is ever built square.

Anyway, I use both the quadratic equation and Pythagoras' theorem all the time

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Guavanaut posted:

You won't be carrying a calculator with you every day when you're older :mad:

Even then a scientific calculator wasn't much bigger than a modern smartphone so a sufficiently nerdy person absolutely could carry a calculator around.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Well poo poo on me I guess, I managed to accidentally avoid any field that uses simultaneous equations later on.

Really wish we’d done calculus at school though, that would have been handy and I always feel like a bit of a dullard for having absolutely no experience with it now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It makes me laugh that so many of these "they taught us Pythagoras instead of how to dig hole to poop in" type things are from 'higher consciousness' type platitudes accounts that are all about sacred geometry and vibrations and so on.

I wonder what they think Pythagoras was originally actually trying to do.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

The "why didn't they teach us X life skills" people are silly, but maybe schools should teach tax brackets. It would avoid people turning down pay rises so they don't get stung for thousands of pounds by being "pushed into the next tax bracket".

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Bobstar posted:

It would avoid people turning down pay rises so they don't get stung for thousands of pounds by being "pushed into the next tax bracket".

does this ever happen? I feel like it's one of those urban legends, like a swan breaking someone's arm

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

kecske posted:

does this ever happen? I feel like it's one of those urban legends, like a swan breaking someone's arm

Unfortunately I've had to explain tax brackets and codes to people at work some of them weren't on their first jobs either :smithfrog:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

kecske posted:

Yes this absolutely does happen and I know of countless personal examples all from people old enough to know better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

kecske posted:

does this ever happen?
I know someone who spent years taking a small pay rise under the table because she was definitely sure that this would happen otherwise, so yeah I guess someone must be in the same mindframe but not able to ask for cash

E: 3 posts in a 2 minute window suggests it happens, like, a lot