Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
WHO WAS MOST OVER
This poll is closed.
ORANGE 57 34.34%
MIRO 32 19.28%
HANGMAN 30 18.07%
INNER CIRCLE 14 8.43%
BRITT BAKER 22 13.25%
CODY 6 3.61%
DARBY 5 3.01%
Total: 166 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

i hope to one day have a similar discourse over Hangman Adam Page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Britt still isn't amazing in the ring, despite being way better than she was, and having endless "it" factor and star power

she's not BAD though, she's methodical and she tells good stories in the ring, especially when the story is "i'm Britt Baker and i'mma beat your rear end" which is a great story to have in your back pocket when you're champ

her holding up slightly-less-than-half of the Rosa lights out match just gives her the room to grow into this reign, it also adds that delicious spice of real poo poo to that eventual money feud to make it more badass

AEW had a clear direction and went with it and unless you're handing the gold to someone like Kenny Omega, you can probably expect there to be some poo poo to work on, it's her real first title reign, she's 30! the crowd was ready, britt was ready, shida will have a way better second run, and AEW will be better for strapping up developed talents when they're over

I've enjoyed her a lot since she said she was going to work her way up to #1 in the rankings and hope they carry that over into big title matches. We know Rosa is the money feud and probably where she drops the title (if they can have a way for Rosa to dodge her until next year, either a screwjob in a contender match or injury or some poo poo), but i'm deffo looking forward to

-Nyla
-KiLynn King
-Tay Conti
-Red Velvet
-Riho
-Kstat
-Shida 2
-(hopefully a boatload of joshis like VENY and Ryu Mizunami)

i also really expect them to re-double their efforts to rejuvenate the division now that they've brought a lot of talent along and are in a much better place than when the pandemic started and a bunch of people got injured. it's gonna be a fun breezy 6 month reign and then a loving BLOOD FEUD

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Huntman posted:

i hope to one day have a similar discourse over Hangman Adam Page

Adam Page is too perfect for people to have complaints about his coronation.

Big Yeehaw.
Cowboy poo poo.
:cheers:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Gaz-L posted:

Hirsch vs Conti would be fascinating because the logical way to lay it out is pseudo-shoot style.

I remember when this happened before but we called it Shinsuke Nakamura vs Kazushi Sakuraba Wrestlekingdom 7.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Drakkel posted:

I think the big challenge with Britt Baker is that like, nobody who beats her gets elevated from it. Big Swole, Thunder Rosa, and Nyla Rose all have victories over Baker in 2021 and, aside from Swole's title match with Shida, none of them have ever appeared on Dynamite again.

Swole hasn't wrestled Britt since September 2020 and had a world title match a month after that.

After beating Britt, Nyla went on to win the American arm of the world title tournament (beating Tay Conti and Thunder Rosa) , have an awesome finals match with Ryo on Dynamite, then have another three Dynamite matches.

Thunder Rosa has only won a squash match on Dynamite since beating Britt in what is popularly regarded as the best match in the AEW Women's division. However she's currently number one ranked with a credible case as challenger.

So yeah, I don't know what you're talking about.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i'm kind of repeating myself by going 'please please stop writing off youtube stuff' but if anyone skipped it PLEASE go watch the title tournament they had on youtube, just about every match was great + the japanese side (at the very least, unsure about the us side) was booked by shida herself and it was just hands down a great watch in every way

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I think Leyla and Tay should be kept away from each other until they've got more big match experience behind them cause that could be an absolute banger and I'd hate for it to fall below expectations

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
To be clear my issue isn't really with Britt herself, it's more just the story they told where the underdog heel had to claw her way up from obscurity while the babyface champion largely just didn't even show up and when the heel won after blatantly cheating in front of the referee on multiple occasions everyone just cheered and celebrated because she "earned it." It was a foregone conclusion the moment Britt started gunning for the title and they did nothing to make you think for a second there'd be any other outcome.

As for the Dark/Elevation thing, I just think that important stuff should happen on the actual television show that people are watching. There's nothing wrong with the Youtube shows, they just by their nature don't feel important. If they have an idea for a babyface to challenge the champion, they should be on the TV show telling a story and doing things to make themselves look like a credible challenger.

My worry is just that they aren't gonna do the work do that and every feud Britt has until Rosa is free will just be a series of matches where there's no conceivable way she loses. I would be THRILLED if that wasn't the case!

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

How did Britt cheat in front of the ref in the match? Wasn't the ref distracted when she did the belt curbstomp?

Pylons fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 3, 2021

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Pylons posted:

How did Britt cheat in the match? Wasn't the ref distracted when she did the belt curbstomp?
I mean...isn't that cheating?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Nick Jr. Face posted:

I mean...isn't that cheating?

Sorry, meant to say cheat in front of the ref.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Wezlar posted:

I don't know how things line up exactly with her title match and appearances afterwards but Swole also had some serious Crohns related issues for a lot of the year that kept her out of action didn't she?

Crohns is an autoimmune disorder, meaning that the treatments that really work all basically switch your immune system off. Having a switched off immune system is an effective death sentence during a global air-spread pandemic. Basically she needed to transition to different medication (that doesn't work as well) and wait out a vaccine. A lovely situation but I'm real happy she made it through, must have been scary with her husband still traveling and having a kid in the house.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

flatluigi posted:

i'm kind of repeating myself by going 'please please stop writing off youtube stuff' but if anyone skipped it PLEASE go watch the title tournament they had on youtube, just about every match was great + the japanese side (at the very least, unsure about the us side) was booked by shida herself and it was just hands down a great watch in every way
For real, Dark is mostly jobber matches, but Elevation's already done a LOT for both the Women's and Tag divisions, and it's a great way to familiarize yourself with the midcard and soon-to-be midcard. Britt's whole path to the belt was an angle where she racked up wins on the Youtube shows to get her spot, and Thunder Rosa's regularly featured there. Same with Hollywood Blondes, they're in Tag title contention specifically because of that.

Drakkel posted:

There's nothing wrong with the Youtube shows, they just by their nature don't feel important.
According to who? Plenty of promotions run their entire content on Youtube and streaming services.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Also a lot of TVs can play youtube now, so there's basically no difference.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
People really need to stop pretending that the Youtube shows matter as much as Dynamite. 90% of the matches on Elevation and Dark have immediately obvious winners and the last (and only) big storyline blow-off was like QT vs Fuego. They're clearly not on the same level.

Like yeah, they're fun watches and some of you clearly enjoy watching them and that's great but come on

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

They're definitely C or D shows, but they're still shows, and to ignore them entirely is folly.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Rarity posted:

People really need to stop pretending that the Youtube shows matter as much as Dynamite. 90% of the matches on Elevation and Dark have immediately obvious winners and the last (and only) big storyline blow-off was like QT vs Fuego. They're clearly not on the same level.

Like yeah, they're fun watches and some of you clearly enjoy watching them and that's great but come on

1000%

If there's an angle on dark/elevation that's important they should also post it on its own the way they used to repost dark matches individually after the show airing because I'm absolutely not skimming through 90+ minutes of jobbers to find the 45 seconds that matter every week.

Edit: at least they've started clipping bits like the Janela interview on twitter 🥲

blunt fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jun 3, 2021

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Dark is essential viewing just for Taz and Excalibur's chemistry on commentary

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rarity posted:

Agreed. I don't watch them any more and I don't want to have to watch them to know what's going on on Dynamite.

sticklefifer posted:

Plenty of promotions run their entire content on Youtube and streaming services.

Yeah... the smaller ones

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Dark and Elevation of course aren't on the same level as Dynamite in terms of importance. You can watch Dynamite only and you should be relatively up to date on all the big stories. Plus a lot of the matches on Dark and Dynamite are enhancement matches.

However, not being on the same level of importance doesn't mean not important. A lot of characters have been developed and storylines furthered on Dark and Elevation. They're definitely in-continuity, and things happen on there that matter. The strained Sonny / Joey relationship, for example. Some of this stuff also feeds into Dynamite, and will likely continue to do so after we get the actual Third Hour.

Basically I think AEW are shooting for something that's casual viewing. Not unimportant but not essential. And most weeks they get it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lamuella posted:

I think AEW are shooting for something that's casual viewing

Exactly this and that's fine, casual viewing can be very fun but it's not essential and that's the point

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't mind the youtube shows having stuff on it that 'counts' and affects later content. you don't have to watch it to understand that sort of thing and i don't

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah... the smaller ones
I said "and streaming services", which includes stuff like NJPW. A good portion of this forum only watches Dynamite on Fite or BRL. Nobody's saying it's on an equal level with Dynamite, but they still reference it, and it augments feuds, angles, and character development. So it seems pointless to split hairs on what content isn't essential if your sole criteria is "not on cable", and it's silly when people say "AEW isn't doing this thing with this wrestler" when they are and you're not watching it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

sticklefifer posted:

it's silly when people say "AEW isn't doing this thing with this wrestler" when they are and you're not watching it.

Giving someone 6 weeks of jobber squashes isn't doing something with them

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I only watch the unique YouTube stuff like the women’s tournaments because everything else is basically WWF Jakked so who gives a poo poo.

If Excalibur and Taz do something funny on commentary someone will post it ITT anyway.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Tommy End is literally the best former WWE hire they could get since Mox. I really hope they do.

Oh except maybe Brodie, RIP Big Rig.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 3, 2021

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Giving someone 6 weeks of jobber squashes isn't doing something with them

Also this is true too and some people try way too hard to defend literally everything AEW does. No wrestling promotion is perfect; they literally all have flaws, it's okay to have qualms with things.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I am DYING to see what the design for Rampage is, like will it have a different set, graphics etc...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I tend to not watch Elevation and Dark generally, but pick out matches with people I'm interested in, but more often than not when I do I'll realize they're up against a jobber with a 0-5 record and it's gonna be a squash, and I skip it anyway.

I still think it's good that these matches exist and are on record and give people a free glimpse of the product, so to speak, and also give up-and-coming wrestlers a chance to show their stuff, if I had more time on my hands I'd watch them all for sure.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I am DYING to see what the design for Rampage is, like will it have a different set, graphics etc...

I hope it will be green.
e: Dynamite's cards have a deep purple background with red highlights, Dark is gold, Elevation is black and white. Make it green or pink!

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jun 3, 2021

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Wingmen are one of my favorite stables, and their entire story has played out on Dark.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Drakkel posted:

every feud Britt has until Rosa is free will just be a series of matches where there's no conceivable way she loses. I would be THRILLED if that wasn't the case!

Just wait till you hear about these guys called Omega and Page!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

For that matter, it was pretty obvious when Mox got the title that he was going to hold it for a long time. And I was certainly considering Omega to be the end point. Didn't stop Mox having some absolutely amazing matches and stories along the way, and didn't stop me biting on some really tantalizing story beats. These fuckers had me believing that Kingston could win the belt. For about 30 seconds.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Saul Goode posted:

Just wait till you hear about these guys called Omega and Page!

I'm never certain that Hangman will win, because him losing and feeling sad about it is a large thread in his story.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lamuella posted:

For that matter, it was pretty obvious when Mox got the title that he was going to hold it for a long time. And I was certainly considering Omega to be the end point. Didn't stop Mox having some absolutely amazing matches and stories along the way, and didn't stop me biting on some really tantalizing story beats. These fuckers had me believing that Kingston could win the belt. For about 30 seconds.

Some of us still believe Kingston can win the belt :colbert:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Rarity posted:

Some of us still believe Kingston can win the belt :colbert:

Oh please. Who did Eddie ever beat?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

:gonk:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I'm already 1000% sold on Joey Janela's Summer Of Fear And Loathing