Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

It definitely happens although it was more common back when we had the 10% bracket.

The valid form of it was someone passing up extra hours because the cash in pocket per hour was worse than from their normal wage. Reasonable I guess although the difference was hardly huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Financial literacy has been deliberately omitted from school curriculums.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Along with British history outside the Tudors, Victorians and our stunning war victories.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don't know if this is the case or not (lol it probably is), but it is absolutely something which should be taught, and isn't. Basic budgeting, and an understanding of how interest rates and contract terms work would be helpful to so many people.

Of course, the broader point is that these would contribute to critical thinking skills, which is definitely something which is being suppressed from the curriculum.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

kecske posted:

does this ever happen? I feel like it's one of those urban legends, like a swan breaking someone's arm

It literally came up in a leader's debate during an election a few years ago when an audience member said they turned down a payrise because of tax brackets AND half the audience loving clapped them AND the debate moderator didn't correct them AND none of the god drat political leaders even loving picked up on it for fucks sake

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Financial literacy is covered to some extent in PSHCE, but there's an absolute mountain of stuff to cover. I teach at a school that has a lesson of PSHCE a week, but there are plenty of schools who do PSHCE drop down days 2-3 times a year where you get a day off timetable to cover a huge chunk of PSHCE.

This year in PSHCE my form (year 8) will have 39 lessons to learn about these topics. Most are single lessons, some you get two weeks.
Relationships - Running away, body image, sex, contraception, consent, comfort zones, sexting, friendship
Health & wellbeing - Fire safety, prescription drugs, knife crime, personal finance, physical health, smoking, alcohol, period poverty
Wider world - Islamophobia, child rights, CSE, extremism, sweatshops, racism, xenophobia, law & the legal process, data.

Personal finance was two lessons looking at salaries, the cost of living and a brief intro to budgeting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/antoguerrera/status/1400345186379743238?s=21

This is what we scrapped the upgrade of our old Warrior infantry fighting vehicles for, by the way.

You would think they would have figured out how to build a light tank by now, they've only been doing it for nearly a hundred years.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I've just been trying to pay my childminder via the government website for the tax-free dealio. It got stuck in a loop of telling me I'd failed the 2FA (never sent me or asked for a code) and then instructed me to call the helpline. That page didn't have the helpline number on it, but I found it and spent ten minutes on hold before redoing security where the guy accessed my credit file and asked me loads of poo poo about my accounts. I passed that successfully, so now they are sending me an email, and when I receive that I need to call back and give them the code from my email and then they can reset my security, and I can pay my childminder. This email can take up to three days to arrive. It's worth noting that the account currently has over a thousand pounds of my money in it, which I have absolutely no access to and the guy confirmed I wouldn't be able to get at "even in an emergency."

I've heard people talking about the casual cruelty of the benefits system, but is it like this for everything? If you need it for food and rent and actual important stuff?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kecske posted:

does this ever happen? I feel like it's one of those urban legends, like a swan breaking someone's arm

Someone I work with literally quit her job a few weeks ago because her husband is getting paid more and she is convinced they will have to pay more tax.

Sanford posted:

I've just been trying to pay my childminder via the government website for the tax-free dealio. It got stuck in a loop of telling me I'd failed the 2FA (never sent me or asked for a code) and then instructed me to call the helpline. That page didn't have the helpline number on it, but I found it and spent ten minutes on hold before redoing security where the guy accessed my credit file and asked me loads of poo poo about my accounts. I passed that successfully, so now they are sending me an email, and when I receive that I need to call back and give them the code from my email and then they can reset my security, and I can pay my childminder. This email can take up to three days to arrive. It's worth noting that the account currently has over a thousand pounds of my money in it, which I have absolutely no access to and the guy confirmed I wouldn't be able to get at "even in an emergency."

I've heard people talking about the casual cruelty of the benefits system, but is it like this for everything? If you need it for food and rent and actual important stuff?

Benefits would be more like that plus the guy also keeps threatening to take all the money away permanently.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jun 3, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

You would think they would have figured out how to build a light tank by now, they've only been doing it for nearly a hundred years.

lol, it's a Spanish armoured vehicle platform that's been in service since 2002. We decided to adopt the design and hire Lockheed Martin to build a brand-new turret in the UK. Guess which component is massively overdue and has been causing all these health and performance issues?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bobstar posted:

The "why didn't they teach us X life skills" people are silly, but maybe schools should teach tax brackets. It would avoid people turning down pay rises so they don't get stung for thousands of pounds by being "pushed into the next tax bracket".

WHy are they silly?

Plenty of people don't have any route to learning life skills that isn't school, why shouldn't school equip people to live life?

(In principle that is, in practice that's not what it's there for)

Schools should absolutely teach things like cooking, cleaning, budgetting, taxation and tax brackets, basic civics, etc etc etc

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009

Sad Panda posted:

Financial literacy is covered to some extent in PSHCE, but there's an absolute mountain of stuff to cover. I teach at a school that has a lesson of PSHCE a week, but there are plenty of schools who do PSHCE drop down days 2-3 times a year where you get a day off timetable to cover a huge chunk of PSHCE.

This year in PSHCE my form (year 8) will have 39 lessons to learn about these topics. Most are single lessons, some you get two weeks.
Relationships - Running away, body image, sex, contraception, consent, comfort zones, sexting, friendship
Health & wellbeing - Fire safety, prescription drugs, knife crime, personal finance, physical health, smoking, alcohol, period poverty
Wider world - Islamophobia, child rights, CSE, extremism, sweatshops, racism, xenophobia, law & the legal process, data.

Personal finance was two lessons looking at salaries, the cost of living and a brief intro to budgeting.

Yeah that sounds like a lot to cover, but all pretty useful stuff , do you think they take much of it onboard?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It literally came up in a leader's debate during an election a few years ago when an audience member said they turned down a payrise because of tax brackets AND half the audience loving clapped them AND the debate moderator didn't correct them AND none of the god drat political leaders even loving picked up on it for fucks sake

Problem is, our political leaders are NO BETTER at 'everyday maths' than regular people.
I know this from working with a former MP who is as clueless as most of the rest of the population on basic math, percentages, tax bands and so on.

I'm of the opinion that anyone entering parliament should have a few weeks induction course on fundamentals of economics, sociology, and operation of the state. They're making decisions on these things all the time but half the time have no idea what the impact will be. That's why most of them just do what the whip says because actually they are clueless about what is going on. It's only 'troublemakers' like Jezza who look into things. I remember the former MP telling me that there was a hard core of around 40MPs - from both sides - who were 'troublemakers' because they never voted without knowing what they were voting for (and he told it like that was a bad thing).

Ed: also teachers are pretty much the same as regular people in their knowledge of tax stuff.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 3, 2021

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

kecske posted:

yeah it does happen: i've seen it several times on question time type shows when i used to watch them and i've heard it at work too. a lot of people in this country spend their lives being angry about unfairnesses that are imaginary

i wouldn't put it past a swan to break a person's arm, mind

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

thespaceinvader posted:

WHy are they silly?

Plenty of people don't have any route to learning life skills that isn't school, why shouldn't school equip people to live life?

Schools should absolutely teach things like cooking, cleaning, budgetting, taxation and tax brackets, basic civics, etc etc etc

One of the schools I went to had a 'flat'. Girls (it was a girls' comprehensive school for forces brats) in the lower streams of the 4th & 5th year (Year 10 & 11 in the new money) had to spend 3 days in the flat including preparing meals, cleaning, and a toy crying baby to look after.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
my god that's grim to think about

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Sad Panda posted:

Knife crime seems a bit of an odd one out in the health and wellbeing category, is that one of these practical real world skills we've been hearing about?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Knife crime can be bad for your health and wellbeing but so can terrorism and racism so I suppose they should also be in the health category.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

thespaceinvader posted:

WHy are they silly?

In Finland schools are not just for teaching you stuff like maths and reading. But they also teach you to be a person, a better person (ideally). And it's pretty good because there are many lovely parents out there, I myself feel grateful the people at pre-school with educations in this field as well as heaps of motivation are helping to cover up the myriad of flaws in my parenting.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i would have schemes for the children where they could learn proper real world skills like how to spend the whole evening in a pub and get away with not buying a round and how to get the maximum longevity out of a magic tree car air freshener and that

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Seem to remember that schools have tried teaching people how to pay taxes &c, & the Daily Mail has always jumped right down their throats with SCHOOLS TEACHING CHILDREN TO APPLY FOR BENEFITS nonsense.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Life hacks 101

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

Yeah that sounds like a lot to cover, but all pretty useful stuff , do you think they take much of it onboard?

Bits. It definitely opens the eyes of many to things that they might not know otherwise. For example nearly no-one in my class had an idea what a sweatshop was, by the end of it they had an idea and there was some discussion about why people buy things from Primark rather than more expensive places and the challenge that has (if you can barely afford food then it's hard to justify buying a t-shirt for £10-15 rather than £3 'just' because it wasn't made by a kid in Bangladesh being paid 50p a day).

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

crispix posted:

i would have schemes for the children where they could learn proper real world skills like how to spend the whole evening in a pub and get away with not buying a round and how to get the maximum longevity out of a magic tree car air freshener and that

Nobody "gets away" with this, it is noted :cheersdoge:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

crispix posted:

And that would also be more useful than quadratic equations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

blunt posted:

Nobody "gets away" with this, it is noted :cheersdoge:

The trick is to hold off until at least a few people have left or some people have had enough and everyone's drunk enough not to notice that you've got the cheapest round in.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
(you spritz it with one of them water sprays you use for plants and sometimes for very bad cats and put it back in the plastic - at least twice the magic from your magic tree for your money)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

i would have schemes for the children where they could learn proper real world skills like how to spend the whole evening in a pub and get away with not buying a round
The trick is to slow your drinking when it would otherwise be your round, so you've barely started when everyone else is halfway through. It should be observed that this makes you a prick.

Borrovan posted:

Seem to remember that schools have tried teaching people how to pay taxes &c, & the Daily Mail has always jumped right down their throats with SCHOOLS TEACHING CHILDREN TO APPLY FOR BENEFITS nonsense.
Yes, nobody going on about this actually wants kids being taught how to live in a society, they want them to be yeoman farmers or some poo poo.

Like growing your own food can be a fun experience for kids and teach them 'where food comes from' so that they know it's not 'from the Co-op' but if they're going to be living in a city flat it's not the most useful thing.

Also people so unimaginative that they can't see how one might get from studying biology and chemistry to growing food and making clean water.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
the magic tree people don't want you to know that though

Big Magic Tree :catstare:

crispix fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jun 3, 2021

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/1400122953392656387?s=19

It's cool when the press says the thing I've been banging on about for years exists. Wonder if they'll make the connection from leaving constant contact with the outside world and getting all your information from our insane press making people vote tory?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

The trick is to just buy the drat round, if some people can't afford to then everybody politely pretends not to notice, & if people obviously could afford to but still don't then just don't drink with those people :colbert:

e: it's actually a really good trick for finding out who the cool pub-goers are when drinking with new people, as soon as one person starts with "I'm going to the bar, who needs a drink?" other people catch on, and you can kind of see the cool people taking notes in real-time and that determines who gets invited out to the pub next time

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jun 3, 2021

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
You can simply and quickly solve a system of linear equations in your head at the pub to find the optimal time to buy your round.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

One thing about rounds - when I've been really skint I've said 'I'll just buy my own' (because anyway, I simply do not drink at the speed of everyone else - whether it's lager before I had to give up booze or orange squash) people seem to get really resentful about it.

And also the guys would mostly drink expensive pints of Old Buggers 4X Real Ale, most of the gals some sort of disgusting vinegar called Dry White Wine* (eg chardonnay) at £5 a glass, and I'd be nursing a Bitter Lemon (because that was the only non-alcoholic drink available at the time).

And when did Presecco become a thing? When I moved to Cairo back in the mid owties, it didn't exist (in the UK I mean). When I came back 6 years ago, suddenly it was the thing everyone drank!

A good thing about Egypt was the ready availability of zero alcohol beer. (Birrell and another I've forgotten what.) Sometimes you want a 'savoury' drink, not juice which is all sugar.

*my family were the ones sneakily buying liebfraumilch when I were a nipper.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jun 3, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Prosecco successfully replaced both champagne and white wine for a lot of people. I don't know how. It's fine for a glass or two.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

One thing about rounds - when I've been really skint I've said 'I'll just buy my own' (because anyway, I simply do not drink at the speed of everyone else - whether it's lager before I had to give up booze or orange squash) people seem to get really resentful about it.
That's the beauty of "I'm going to the bar, who needs a drink?" over formalised rounds, it allows people who can't get the round in to say "I'm good thx" without any pressure (& you can always just accidentally buy an extra drink if it's obvious they're doing that)

Basically the real trick is to just not drink with assholes

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
We have an awkward situation in my band, cos one of the guys never stands his round. On the one hand he is poorer than the rest of us (minimum wage), but on the other hand he chooses to have a phone contract of £140 per month (literally seven times what I'm paying lol) because he always wants the latest phone, and splurges loads of money on gadgets and gaming peripherals all the time.

He therefore only ever has like a few quid in his account, which means he never gets us a drink. Where does this out put him on the bastard scale, and where does it put me for moaning about it?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Sanford posted:

This is just general IT gently caress ups and not a system designed to trip you up and apply sanctions, which is what you have for the important stuff because you're a filthy scrounger

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The only pub I’ve been to in the past ~14 months was doing enforced table service which turned the usual “it’s my round” etiquette into a lot of awkward card waving so everyone ended up getting their own anyway

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

Big Magic Tree :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

The Perfect Element posted:

We have an awkward situation in my band, cos one of the guys never stands his round. On the one hand he is poorer than the rest of us (minimum wage), but on the other hand he chooses to have a phone contract of £140 per month (literally seven times what I'm paying lol) because he always wants the latest phone, and splurges loads of money on gadgets and gaming peripherals all the time.

He therefore only ever has like a few quid in his account, which means he never gets us a drink. Where does this out put him on the bastard scale, and where does it put me for moaning about it?

How the gently caress is someone paying 140 quid a month for their phone?