Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ah, another lovely day in Amaurot. I hope I do not make some hosed up giant caterpillar covered in mouths today.

Hey, what was that noise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Raelle posted:

I don't think the decision of whether or not you should intervene in the natural workings of the planet when nobody is going to die, and their needs will almost certainly be taken care of (scarcity did not seem to be a Thing in the old world) is one taken as necessarily lightly and easily as you suggest, from the Amaurotines' perspective, and as long-lived as they are. I mean, volcanic eruptions are necessary for the functions of our planet, too. I don't think Azem did wrong, but neither am I willing to just write the response of Amaurot as a whole off as "callous."

Not caring that people have to leave their homes because of a natural disaster is actually very callous. Even if they have the ability to rebuild elsewhere, it’s an incredibly stressful event to go through. (And the “let nature take its course” view is pretty similar to Sharlayan’s “let history take its course” view)

Also, the WoL was being chastised for reckless heroism, which is fundamentally different than being a character who goes and does things on the whim of liking shinies

Raelle posted:

I mean, I understand being attached to Azem as a shining moral figure,

Please don’t make assumptions about me. I don’t actually like that Azem exists as a character, I think the reveal that we’re the reincarnation of a member of the Convocation sucks rear end

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 3, 2021

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Badger of Basra posted:

“Lost control of our magic” is pretty explicit

Not really, actually. Like, if I lost control of a car, that could mean a lot of things based on context. They probably all end in crashing, but how they get there is very different, and might be very important to making sure it doesn't happen again. If I lost control of a horse, what that means depends on the horse; it might charge into a river, but it might also just go gently caress off and eat apples. Which could also be bad depending on why I'm on the horse.

'Losing control of magic' might mean they can't stop doing the magic, sure, it might be like losing control of a fire hose or cutting someone's brakes. But it might also be 'I keep trying to summon a weapon to fight this giant mouth-monster, but everything I try to summon is made of teeth and bites me', essentially the equivalent of loving with someone's steering instead; still in charge of 'stop' and 'go', but can't control beyond that. Which, again, is still a big problem for a society of people who solve all their problems with that magic.

We know how them losing control of their magic ends, we saw that part and there's no questioning that. We don't know exactly how it started. And maybe that won't matter, but you might be leading yourself down a wrong path by assuming that you do. Which could be an issue if it does end up mattering, like if the Sound happens again and so those currently-unclear early stages reoccur.

Raelle
Jan 15, 2008

Even I...

thetoughestbean posted:

Not caring that people have to leave their homes because of a natural disaster is actually very callous. Even if they have the ability to rebuild elsewhere, it’s an incredibly stressful event to go through. (And the “let nature take its course” view is pretty similar to Sharlayan’s “let history take its course” view)

I think this is something that is absolutely true in the context of our world, but the idea of Amaurot in general is that it IS an entirely different context. As others have said, they can rebuild easily, with creation magic. There is no scarcity. People live long, long lives, longer than we can imagine. The impact of having to move is going to be very different for them. I understand if this still seems unacceptable to you, but again, that's different from taking it as the intended implication of the text that we're meant to condemn Amaurot for it as being Just Like Sharlayan. Is there any scenario where someone comes to the conclusion that it's best to let the volcano eruption happen where they aren't fundamentally callous to you?

quote:

Also, the WoL was being chastised for reckless heroism, which is fundamentally different than being a character who goes and does things on the whim of liking shinies

Yes, so we can agree that the WoL being reckless, being heroic, and liking shinies are all pretty solid established character traits for them. How these intersect for your particular WoL, and how that would echo back into Azem and their reaction to their grapes, is, I think, largely a personal OC thing. Again, as explicitly intended.

Plus, in a world without scarcity and war, "saving the grapes" could be a legitimate expression of heroism, in terms of "preserving something people like." There's potential for degrees of nuance here.

quote:

Please don’t make assumptions about me. I don’t actually like that Azem exists as a character, I think the reveal that we’re the reincarnation of a member of the Convocation sucks rear end

It sucks when an element of the story doesn't work for you! I don't like Gaius or the idea/approach towards him getting redeemed, so a lot of Werlyt was pretty painful for me too. I will happily embrace reading most things about him as uncharitably as possible, whether it was intended or not. Take that FFXIV writers!

Raelle fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 3, 2021

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Raelle posted:

I'm not sure I'd say it's as clear-cut as you're making it out to be. The story is being told from Emet's perspective, who knows Azem better than almost anyone else, and his reaction to the news of grapes is that he needs to lecture Azem on their priorities. Why would he do that if he didn't think it was likely the grapes were at least a legitimate part of the motive? If he wasn't used to Azem being driven in part by shiny, silly poo poo, just like the Warrior of Light? Emet's reaction consistently to Azem through both of his short stories is "fond exasperation", and the framework of the short story also implies that he's used to bailing Azem out of trouble constantly. That both of his friends are known for being irrepressible and irresponsible.

And, as others have said, the story is presented as lighthearted - Azem being a weirdo who's stealing Lahabrea's stuff for the sake of a landmass where no one is actually in danger. In addition to Azem being weird, the point is brought up to begin with because the Convocation has to convene to consider the matter of the volcano in the first place. They meet to discuss these matters and how to approach them, not take it as a given that everything non-Amaurot is "not their problem." As for the Warrior of Light, they are consistently characterized as benevolent and well-meaning, but also, at times, thoughtless and reckless as to the bigger picture. They've been called out on not understanding they're being used more than once, not thinking things through. Those things are not incompatible for Azem also being concerned for people, but people were not in danger - their traditional way of life, their produce, perhaps. That is worth considering. But if the people are safe, is that worth the Amaurotines taking the liberty of loving around with a natural process on their Star? That's a different conversation to have.
"clear that the game parallels Amaurot and Sharlayan", "Amaurot barely interacts with the rest of the world," "other things," are the things that are put forth to support the conclusion of "Amaurot was callously isolationist and is a condemnable flaw" that would need sourcing, in this case. A lot of people have put forth citations showing that Amaurot does, in fact, have multiple processes in interacting with the world and was working on multiple fronts to deal with the Final Days - and the parallels between Amaurot and Sharlayan seem to mostly come down to "They both know a lot of things. They are wise people in robes." Which seems to be jumping to conclusions.

Is there a connection? A lot of visual evidence says yes, probably. But "Sharlayan is bad, and is clearly Amaurot 2.0, therefore Amaurot is bad" is super leaping to conclusions at this stage.

Sharlayan is denying that the Final Days is even happening, and refuses to get involved even if "the world falls into ruin." Amaurot was fully aware the Final Days were happening, were scrambling to figure out what to do about it, and cared very, very deeply about the world at large. They have multiple monologues about how MUCH they love the world, enough for masses of them die for it, versus Sharlayan putting their own survival explicitly above everything. If anything, doesn't it make more sense if they're contrasts?

"It was grapes because that's what the text literally said" is like saying "a smile better suits a hero" is literally about the charcter smiling.

If Azem is meant to be a narrative parallel to the WoL which scenario do you think it's more likely for the WoL to encounter:

1. The WoL somehow personally finds out about an imminent volcano eruption on a deserted island and attempts to prevent it to save some grapes.

2. The WoL finds an isolated island village where a dude with a yellow exclamation mark tell him/her about the imminent volcano eruption, which he/she prevents, and receives grapes from the islander as a reward.

The narrative position of the WoL/Azem is someone who helps others while traveling the world. If the natives didn't desire the preservation of their homes, Azem (who visited and spoke with them) would not have acted just because of grapes he/she personally wanted to preserve.

The debate quest was also obviously meant to draw parallels to Sharlayan because one of the dialogue options was literally the same Louisoix quote we used in this latest patch against nerd-dad.

It was just one of the details painting the place as a real society instead of the literal paradise Emet remembered it as. Remember the dude telling us to put on our robes and masks before the police came for us? None of this suggests they "deserve" to be destroyed, or that their hubris caused their downfall or whatever. But they had real flaws, and acted and saw things through their own perspective, which is all very natural. You're the one deliberately ignoring all this because it doesn't fit with your head canon.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Uh, police? What?

He said we ought to wear a robe and mask because desiring to stand out from the crowd is childish and a little tacky.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Lol, it's a failure to read on my part:

"But do hurry, little one. The eyes of the collective are ever watching and weighing your worth."

Read "the collective" as a literal organization at first.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

To be clear, I don’t think it’s just like Sharlayan, but I do think it’s similar enough to Sharlayan that it’s intentional on the writer’s part, and I think it shares some of Sharlayan’s flaws

I think that the WoL and Azem have been given enough characterization that the primary intention of Azem is saving the town for the sake of the people living there and not simply because of the grapes. I’m willing to concede that there is enough space to disagree.

I’m sorry you didn’t like Gaius coming back. I have quibbles about whether he was redeemed or what “redemption” means but the fact that he comes to realize the extent he hosed up but he still has to soldier on/help rebuild Werlyt appeals to my Catholic sensibilities

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Raelle posted:

It sucks when an element of the story doesn't work for you! I don't like Gaius or the idea/approach towards him getting redeemed, so a lot of Werlyt was pretty painful for me too. I will happily embrace reading most things about him as uncharitably as possible, whether it was intended or not. Take that FFXIV writers!

Given how much the writers want players to have warm fuzzies for Emet "Builds Atrocity Factories to Genocide Planets" Selch, making Gaius more heroic is unsurprising.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Rand Brittain posted:

Uh, police? What?

He said we ought to wear a robe and mask because desiring to stand out from the crowd is childish and a little tacky.

Obviously he meant the fashion police

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

thetoughestbean posted:

Obviously he meant the fashion police

Wark wark that's The Sound of the Fashion Police

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Its Rinaldo posted:

Wark wark that's The Sound of the Fashion Police

Masked Rose is coming to throw you in jail (and make you a new outfit)

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Its Rinaldo posted:

Given how much the writers want players to have warm fuzzies for Emet "Builds Atrocity Factories to Genocide Planets" Selch, making Gaius more heroic is unsurprising.

Given that Lahabrea is coming back in the 6.X patches and will probably get the warm and fuzzy treatment, it's only a matter of time before Teledji gets vindicated too.

Raelle
Jan 15, 2008

Even I...

Algid posted:

"It was grapes because that's what the text literally said" is like saying "a smile better suits a hero" is literally about the charcter smiling.

If Azem is meant to be a narrative parallel to the WoL which scenario do you think it's more likely for the WoL to encounter:

1. The WoL somehow personally finds out about an imminent volcano eruption on a deserted island and attempts to prevent it to save some grapes.

2. The WoL finds an isolated island village where a dude with a yellow exclamation mark tell him/her about the imminent volcano eruption, which he/she prevents, and receives grapes from the islander as a reward.

The narrative position of the WoL/Azem is someone who helps others while traveling the world. If the natives didn't desire the preservation of their homes, Azem (who visited and spoke with them) would not have acted just because of grapes he/she personally wanted to preserve.

Depending on the WoL, I wouldn't blink at either, not going to lie.

As I've said, I don't personally think it was literally just about grapes. What I think is going too far to follow presupposed narrative lines is that this scenario is meant to build up a framework where Noble Azem just isn't like those other cold-hearted Convocation jerks, who don't care about anyone but themselves, just like Sharlayan, and dismissing that the writers have admitted they don't want to paint Azem or WoL too concretely and are very conscious of people being attached to their individual headcanons for them.

quote:

The debate quest was also obviously meant to draw parallels to Sharlayan because one of the dialogue options was literally the same Louisoix quote we used in this latest patch against nerd-dad.

It's a long-running theme, the question of how best to help people through the games, yes, and Sharlayan clearly factors into that conversation. Just like the callback to Haurchefant's "a smile better suits a hero" speaks back to Ishikawa's favorite theme of the image a hero needs to present in order to inspire others, versus the personal burden that they suffer for it.

quote:

It was just one of the details painting the place as a real society instead of the literal paradise Emet remembered it as. Remember the dude telling us to put on our robes and masks before the police came for us? None of this suggests they "deserve" to be destroyed, or that their hubris caused their downfall or whatever. But they had real flaws, and acted and saw things through their own perspective, which is all very natural. You're the one deliberately ignoring all this because it doesn't fit with your head canon.

I think Amaurot is an incredible triumph of writing because of the amazing balance it makes between portraying a very convincingly gentle society and world while keeping its population recognizably people, very human people, who get angry, frustrated, annoyed, anxious, sick of waiting at the DMV. People who have disagreements, who express their concerns in various ways - every Amaurotine in the robe quest is genuinely concerned for your development as a "child". The Amaurotine telling you it's gaudy, the one he sends you to saying that the previous one was being too harsh, the one you meet at the beginning who absolutely adores your outfits. We see one Amaurotine furious at the unfair standards of the Convocation when approving concepts! That individuality does so much to sell them. As a whole, they are people we can recognize - with the big distinction, perhaps, being that the Amaurotines seem to consistently act in good faith. Naturally, that doesn't mean they don't make mistakes or errors in judgment.

But sometimes there's a sense to me of looking for the traditional fatal flaw that doomed them as a society, and what I thought was remarkable about the entire setup was that... there isn't one. Not in that sense. The writing is incredibly compassionate to them, trying to make it as clear as possible that they did not deserve their fate, that they did their best in the context and with the tools that they had. Obviously, individual Convocation members, did many things to gently caress Up, at the time and milennia afterwards. But I think a lot of the rhetoric around the situation reflects a difficulty in accepting that, well, sometimes bad things happen to good people for no reason. And that the people we leave behind in order to save ourselves also had a right to live, and that we are accountable to making that choice.

Shadowbringers is good.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Actually, thinking about this instead of blithely arguing... we actually do have some clues to suggest how the End of Days started. And it's not the broad words of Emet's memories, or his telling of that event.

It's Fandaniel's.

We know, straight from Fandaniel's mouth, that he's trying to recreate the End of Days. And we know from the Endwalker trailer that he's not going for a conceptual similarity; the Terminus beasts are there, he sees landscape ablaze. He is sticking drat close to that playbook.

And he did not start his plan with unchecked, uncontrollable summoning. And not for lack of ability; he's an Ascian, he can just make a giant chicken out of human faces right in the middle of a city if he wanted. He could distribute ways to magic up defenses and then make them go haywire. He could just agitate primal-summoning beast tribes until they summoned a primal and then used that. But he didn't.

Fandaniel's way of kicking off the End of Days involved exploiting governmental collapse, and then the lunar primals, using them to attack both civilization and a key point of the planet. That's definitely creation magic, and a pretty deliberate use of it, but... not exactly 'our own magics turned against us en masse'. It's more orderly efforts at complete destruction.

I suspect that the End of Days didn't just start from any variety of the interpretation of 'heard a sound, then poo poo got weird'. If it was, Fandaniel would've emulated that. I suspect that, maybe, something less chaotic happened. Possibly just something a little more linear and focused than that, but... maybe something more organized.

Maybe Fandaniel didn't make up the Telophoroi for his plan. Maybe he revived them.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cleretic posted:

I suspect that the End of Days didn't just start from any variety of the interpretation of 'heard a sound, then poo poo got weird'. If it was, Fandaniel would've emulated that. I suspect that, maybe, something less chaotic happened. Possibly just something a little more linear and focused than that, but... maybe something more organized.

Fandaniel can't emulate that. There's no one around that has that unfiltered creation magic.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Moofia Boss Val posted:

Given that Lahabrea is coming back in the 6.X patches and will probably get the warm and fuzzy treatment, it's only a matter of time before Teledji gets vindicated too.

lmao

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Fandaniel can't emulate that. There's no one around that has that unfiltered creation magic.

Also if there was, he doesn't appear to have any way to force a loss of control on said creation magic.

Cleretic, you are at this point looking for reasons to disbelieve the text.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Well that just means that your emulation has to get a bit more creative, and use the landscape you're in. I assume he's creative, and he's definitely capable of exploiting his environment, given how well he corrupted Garlemald for his ends.

Maybe that is what he did; maybe the current situation is the best way he can implement 'heard a sound, poo poo got weird'. But I don't really know if I believe that, since the main public effect of his plan is draining aether from the land at a rate that doesn't attract wide attention--which may also be his intention and the primals are ancillary.

But he's not really causing the level of chaos we were led to believe is the beginning of the end, and I'm wondering if that's the idea. And maybe even why the Sharlayans aren't freaking out; they don't think it's the End of Days, because it turns out the End of Days doesn't start with a wild explosion.

I'm not disbelieving the text. I just think the text hasn't told us everything yet, because someone in it's not acting quite like he would if we knew the whole story.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 3, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i hope we rebuild garlemald and make gaius god-king-emperor and he keeps the uniforms and the magitek and poo poo but its all just vaguely nice, cause thats almost literally what we did in ishgard. like imagine how many dragons aymeric brutally murdered as a temple knight. i prefer moral consistency in my games.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Correct. Remember: Fandaniel is a sundered Ascian. He is not on Emet-Selchs level, he is no sorcerer of eld. Hell, by Fantastic Daniel’s own admission he barely remembers the old world and that’s part of why he doesn’t give a poo poo about the cause he has been press ganged into by the Unsundered. Since, again, sundered.

I wouldn’t necessarily assume anything he’s doing is based on a crystal clear understanding of the final days.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

thetoughestbean posted:

Point of order: Moore's Utopia, which Amaurot is a reference to, explicitly has its inhabitants periodically moved around so they won't get too attached to any one place. So, you know, "it's just a village, move and we'll make a new home" is entirely appropriate.

Amaurot is a gentle and utilitarian society of basically-for-all-extents-and-purposes-gods, who live incalculably long lives in harmony with nature and one another. A village is nothing. The idea that Amaurot just didn't care and was secretly a society of cruel monsters does kind of feel like people wanting to Stick it to the Precursors.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 3, 2021

Raelle
Jan 15, 2008

Even I...

Its Rinaldo posted:

atrocity committers i have warm fuzzies for: emet selch, elidibus, fordola, omega, regula, ardbert, ysayle

atrocity committers i do not have warm fuzzies for: gaius, livia, thordan, zenos, asahi, mitron, merlwyb

atrocity committers i only have warm fuzzies for in the context of being bullied by other atrocity committers: varis, lahabrea, teledji adeledji

these are my Opinions and they are completely consistent and make complete sense and i will broker no argument.

edit: all other unnamed atrocity committers (ie, hraesvelgr, yotsuyu, misija, gabranth) fall into a hidden "hm yeah that existed" category.

Raelle fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 3, 2021

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Endorph posted:

i hope we rebuild garlemald and make gaius god-king-emperor and he keeps the uniforms and the magitek and poo poo but its all just vaguely nice, cause thats almost literally what we did in ishgard. like imagine how many dragons aymeric brutally murdered as a temple knight. i prefer moral consistency in my games.

The current Imperial uniforms will probably be kept for budgetary reasons. The devs said in a Shadowbringers interview that they had concept art for more sin eaters, but their art team was stretched thin and they couldn't make all of them. The uniforms might be recolored to not be black and red as before, but that color scheme is really iconic. Not worth the effort to establish a new look as it is doubtful we will see much of post-war Garlemald. The devs are in a rush to axe/rush/handwave all away all current story threads and wipe the slate clean to get on to their fresh new 7.0 stuff.

Gaius becoming leader of Garlemald doesn't make much sense to me, as he's already tied down in Werlyt. If Nerva wasn't eaten by the towers then he might emerge as the new head of Garlemald. Or it might be an offscreen, nonexistant parliament/republic that we never see, like the parliament of Ishgard or the elders of the Crystarium.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the dotharl massacred the tribe mid was from and magnai's bffs with a tribe of sexist slavers, dont forget those best buddies of ours

Moofia Boss Val posted:

The current Imperial uniforms will probably be kept for budgetary reasons. The devs said in a Shadowbringers interview that they had concept art for more sin eaters, but their art team was stretched thin and they couldn't make all of them. The uniforms might be recolored to not be black and red as before, but that color scheme is really iconic. Not worth the effort to establish a new look as it is doubtful we will see much of post-war Garlemald. The devs are in a rush to axe/rush/handwave all away all current story threads and wipe the slate clean to get on to their fresh new 7.0 stuff.

tbf we're still in the same world so i wouldnt be surprised to see garlemald stuff touched on. like its still a country in the world even if the story arc setup by their invasion is over.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Raelle posted:

edit: all other unnamed atrocity committers (ie, hraesvelgr, yotsuyu, misija, gabranth) fall into a hidden "hm yeah that existed" category.

Wait, what atrocities did Gabranth commit? Are you talking about Dabog? Sicinius did that behind Gabranth's back and in secret.

Dabog Field Notes posted:

In the IVth Imperial Legion, testing is only permitted upon living men when their safety is absolutely assured, and be it friend or foe, all individuals are to be treated with compassion. Thus has the legatus himself decreed. Perverting his commander's noble intent for his own ends, Sicinius reasoned that he was saving a man's life, and proceeded with his testing in secret.

And ofcourse, Gabranth never ordered Misija to temper people or to warp their bodies into the trinity monsters. That was all Misija being spiteful.

Raelle
Jan 15, 2008

Even I...

Moofia Boss Val posted:

Wait, what atrocities did Gabranth commit? Are you talking about Dabog? Sicinius did that behind Gabranth's back and in secret.
And ofcourse, Gabranth never ordered Misija to temper people or to warp their bodies into the trinity monsters. That was all Misija being spiteful.

he committed the atrocity of making me triple-take at the sheer audacity of being named noah van gabranth, son of basch van gabranth

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Waffleman_ posted:

Ah, another lovely day in Amaurot. I hope I do not make some hosed up giant caterpillar covered in mouths today.

Hey, what was that noise?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Jetrauben posted:

Point of order: Moore's Utopia, which Amaurot is a reference to, explicitly has its inhabitants periodically moved around so they won't get too attached to any one place. So, you know, "it's just a village, move and we'll make a new home" is entirely appropriate.

Amaurot is a gentle and utilitarian society of basically-for-all-extents-and-purposes-gods, who live incalculably long lives in harmony with nature and one another. A village is nothing. The idea that Amaurot just didn't care and was secretly a society of cruel monsters does kind of feel like people wanting to Stick it to the Precursors.

Wasn’t Utopia also about how Utopias are unobtainable? I admit I know very little about it, other than Utopia literally meaning “no place”(And even then I completely reject a village just being a place)

And like, I’m not trying to say it was secretly a society of cruel monsters, just that it also had its flaws

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jun 3, 2021

Raelle
Jan 15, 2008

Even I...

Jetrauben posted:

I do think there are cases that get hung up on the phrasing of "paradise" in particular and want to stick it to Emet, who, yes, describes it in that way - ha ha, nope your paradise is flawed, you're wrong, you're no better than us, nerd! - like, is Amaurot the picture of a literal Judeo-Christian paradise? No. They had disagreements, tensions, emotions, fears, anger, humanity. Bureaucracy and DMVs. Hades, from what we've seen, seemed to live his old life in a state of perpetual exasperation. But do I believe that Amaurot and the old world legitimately had a far better quality of life, and a culture on the whole far kinder and more thoughtful than ours? Yes, I do. And in a way I think - I want to think - those things are possible to attain, even if it's only on a small scale, that better things are possible, that our first instinct on seeing a people that consistently gentle towards children and lacking in personal malice doesn't necessarily have to be "nope, that can't exist, bet they're secretly jerks, can't wait to dig out their DIRTY SECRET FLAWS."

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
kinder? Azem is considered the weird one because their first instinct ISN'T to just let peoples homes burn down. their mass suicide-sacrifice explicitly involves children.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Captain Oblivious posted:

I wouldn’t necessarily assume anything he’s doing is based on a crystal clear understanding of the final days.

He doesn't have an unbroken memory of everything that happened up until now because of the sundering, but we do know he was informed of things through a soul crystal. And we know that those crystals are elaborate enough that they have memory of specific things they said (and perhaps not even a phenomenally important thing he said; Fandaniel's is the one I most clearly remember, and his sounds just part of a conversation to me, he's not giving a big-deal speech or anything), so we can assume that it at least has a full account of the End of Days as Unsundered Fandaniel knew it, even if Sundered Fandaniel may know it more as academic fact than personal experience. After all, what else was gonna be top of the list to commit to the crystal?

We know that Fandaniel knows enough about the End of Days to recognize it in Zenos' dream and to tell him about it. On top of that, remember that Emet's depiction of it was more of a dramatic, emotional retelling than a detailed, factual account, intended to make you understand his pain and what he lost rather than an exhaustive account of events. I don't just think it's entirely plausible that Fandaniel knows more about the Final Days than Emet told us, I think it's actually fairly likely. Now is that information useful? gently caress if I know. But I think it's folly to assume he isn't a few chapters ahead of us.

As to Fandaniel's power level not being strong enough to do a good imitation of the Final Days as they were told to us... well, we haven't really seen a 'normal' sundered Ascian do much with creation magic. But Eden was a Light-poisoned Mitron, and had absolutely no trouble spitting up some primals. Even a black-masker could throw together a monster capable of messing up some guards in the level nine MSQ. I have no trouble believing that, if bringing on the End of Days just required a sound and creation-magicked-up monsters, he could do that himself, he doesn't need the towers.

So if he didn't need the towers to make monsters that big... what does he need them for? What image of the Final Days does he have that entails the towers, and/or the lunar primals, and yet isn't the kick-off that we were told of 'heard a sound, then poo poo got wild'?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like in a world where you can just fart out magic beings "losing your house" is at worst an inconvenience

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks

Blockhouse posted:

I feel like in a world where you can just fart out magic beings "losing your house" is at worst an inconvenience

note that in the side story its never actually stated that people can just walk off and magic their homes back into existence. the council just go "well sucks to be them" and assume the islanders will just leave and set up somewhere else. people tend to not like it when their homes explode, and it's pretty safe to assume those islander ancients also didn't. otherwise Azem wouldn't need to go help them in the first place.

If your entire village is at risk of being wiped out and your governing body's response is "yep that sure is happening" when it could feasibly be prevented then they're a bad governing body. there being available housing afterwards doesn't make that ok.

as big grandpapa Leveilleur said, ""To ignore the plight of those one might conceivably save is not wisdom, it is indolence."

The Skeep fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jun 3, 2021

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I didn't get the impression that Amaurot ruled the world, either, although they obviously had a very nice city there. Which does potentially complicate things - because the people of Amaurot wouldn't have been aware that they were in some uniquely cosmic privileged position. The King of Carcosa or whatever might want them to butt out. (Azem, like Cuno, doesn't care.)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Nessus posted:

I didn't get the impression that Amaurot ruled the world, either, although they obviously had a very nice city there. Which does potentially complicate things - because the people of Amaurot wouldn't have been aware that they were in some uniquely cosmic privileged position. The King of Carcosa or whatever might want them to butt out. (Azem, like Cuno, doesn't care.)

I definitely got the impression that Amaurot was basically the capital of the world. The Convocation were the ones that pitched the 'sacrifice half the planet to summon Zodiark' plan, and then pulled it off; you don't get to make a call like that if you're the equivalent of the Australian government. And if somewhere else was the capital... well, why didn't they make a plan?

I'm not asking that or any questions rhetorically. I think if you're making a guess like that, you absolutely need to have the capacity to answer those questions, to paint a fuller and more believable picture. Amaurot never feared for a specific place outside of them in a way that suggests somewhere else was more important; if a place like that was out there, I feel like there would be a line along the lines of 'oh gently caress, Ancient New York got blown up'. That doesn't mean there wasn't one, we just have to be able to answer why things happened like this if there was a bigger-deal city somewhere.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Raelle posted:

that our first instinct on seeing a people that consistently gentle towards children and lacking in personal malice doesn't necessarily have to be "nope, that can't exist, bet they're secretly jerks, can't wait to dig out their DIRTY SECRET FLAWS."

I deeply object to this characterization

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

Not really, actually. Like, if I lost control of a car, that could mean a lot of things based on context. They probably all end in crashing, but how they get there is very different, and might be very important to making sure it doesn't happen again. If I lost control of a horse, what that means depends on the horse; it might charge into a river, but it might also just go gently caress off and eat apples. Which could also be bad depending on why I'm on the horse.

'Losing control of magic' might mean they can't stop doing the magic, sure, it might be like losing control of a fire hose or cutting someone's brakes. But it might also be 'I keep trying to summon a weapon to fight this giant mouth-monster, but everything I try to summon is made of teeth and bites me', essentially the equivalent of loving with someone's steering instead; still in charge of 'stop' and 'go', but can't control beyond that. Which, again, is still a big problem for a society of people who solve all their problems with that magic.

We know how them losing control of their magic ends, we saw that part and there's no questioning that. We don't know exactly how it started. And maybe that won't matter, but you might be leading yourself down a wrong path by assuming that you do. Which could be an issue if it does end up mattering, like if the Sound happens again and so those currently-unclear early stages reoccur.

It isn't they just lost control. The dialogue is exixitly The Sound Took Their ability to control it away. This isn't your hands slipping off the driving wheel its you losing the ability to touch it.

This is just you trying to will text into existance that doesn't exist.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
They should have just flew into space like Midgardsormr did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I mean... they might've done that. We do know there is at least one Ancient building on the moon, that doesn't get there by the Ancients not going to space.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It isn't they just lost control. The dialogue is exixitly The Sound Took Their ability to control it away. This isn't your hands slipping off the driving wheel its you losing the ability to touch it.

This is just you trying to will text into existance that doesn't exist.

Okay, can you give me that text? Because like I said, the text SirSamVimes gave isn't actually conclusive about this at all, it's very vague, because again, 'losing control' can mean multiple things even if they all end similarly badly.

I am willing to believe this, and in fact I've taken people's word for this for quite some time. But if on review all we can find are inconclusive statements that people declared to mean very specific things... well, I think we all run the risk of looking like idiots if we turn out to be wrong.

EDIT: Also, your interpretation actually... isn't quite what I've heard so far. I've heard the interpretation that the Sound basically forced the creation magic to permanently be on the 'on' position, that they can't stop creating, which is bad because as we know creation magic requires concentration and clarity of mind, and they were all freaking out. Continuing with the car analogy, the interpretation I always heard was essentially that the brake lines were cut; they can steer, but they can't stop, and that means only a matter of time until someone crashes.

Which means... someone's unclear here, and we should probably review and figure out who, if anyone, has misinterpreted.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 3, 2021