Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Having watched the Sarah Z video, Travis as GM telling his players to do a thing (not bring horses to the centaurs) so he could then immediately mock them for following his instructions was his biggest sin and I'm amazed at the self control of his brothers to not immediately wedgie him into oblivion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Speaking of watching people eat, I never liked them in the first place, but I was surprised to learn that Epic Meal Time is somehow still around. I figured they all would have all had heart attacks by now.

One of them is a professional personal trainer. They do the EMT stuff one day a week and spend the rest of the week getting through the food at a reasonable pace while he whips them to keep in shape. At least, that's how they told it when I followed them, uh

*checks*

a decade ago.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I don’t understand how saying “mukbang” is a gross word is any different than saying “moist” is a gross word. What a stupid thing to get mad about.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Brocktoon posted:

I don’t understand how saying “mukbang” is a gross word is any different than saying “moist” is a gross word. What a stupid thing to get mad about.

Thank you for joining the conversation late and still not understanding it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Shyrka posted:

Having watched the Sarah Z video, Travis as GM telling his players to do a thing (not bring horses to the centaurs) so he could then immediately mock them for following his instructions was his biggest sin and I'm amazed at the self control of his brothers to not immediately wedgie him into oblivion.

This reminds me of that crummy videogame Assassins' Creed 3. Despite being billed as an open-world game with freedom of choice you are forced through a tortuously long prologue. When you do get the missions to assassinate dudes you must do it in a specific way or no high-score for you.

Vince Gilligan, of Breaking Bad fame, would be a good GM. He accomodates other peoples ideas and is willing to change the plan when a cooler idea comes along.

GRRM would initially hook you as a GM, but then he'd get sidetracked about descriptions of pies and prostitutes.

Rothfuss would put his red-haired npc into the campaign as this totally awesome dude that the world revolves around. Then he'd get all huffy when you point he doesnt have an endpoint to this story, or even a story at all.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Dabir posted:

One of them is a professional personal trainer. They do the EMT stuff one day a week and spend the rest of the week getting through the food at a reasonable pace while he whips them to keep in shape. At least, that's how they told it when I followed them, uh

*checks*

a decade ago.

That's a drop off for those dudes right? I looked them up a while ago because I didn't think they could still be doing it and they are... To a greatly diminished audience. They posted something a few days ago to try and grab that BTS crowd and they still haven't cracked 100k views yet.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

How could you let a D&D game that bad go on for 38 episodes, over more than a year? Like I understand literal high schoolers getting roped into something like that, but surely adults get that no gaming is better than bad gaming.

I can completely understand a fandom becoming disillusioned if they're listening to a bad game for over a year.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 3, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alaois posted:

did she do a patreon-only video about a bleedman comic without knowing bleedman is a notorious pedophile

It's pretty clear that she has no idea the backstory of the guy and just wanted to talk about a weird webcomic with a bunch of cartoon network characters but she pretty quickly pegs that there's something going on by how often he draws the Powerpuff Girls in such a way that you can see their underwear.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Brocktoon posted:

Moist mukbang

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

fun hater posted:

i dont like how mukbangs have monetized disordered eating :(
Yeah, as someone who has just accepted that I will struggle with bulimia for the rest of my life, this is what makes me uncomfortable about it.

Brocktoon posted:

I think that the fact that it is coupled with the whole "haha Asians are so weird!" makes it different. A lot of people are doing that stupid thing where something can't be strange because it just is. It has to be strange because, "of course! Those kooky Asians made it!". The word Muk Bang also doesn't sound weird or sexual to me as a non original English speaker which adds to the whole tinge of otherring factor.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Only mukbang I watch is Kinoshita Yuka, and that's only cause of its still weird how a tiny Japanese woman can put away so much food and cause she's super chill.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Muk Bang Ditto

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
also I think a lot of people don't even know that mukbang is a Korean word at all, just a weird word sound thing

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Sarcopenia posted:

I think that the fact that it is coupled with the whole "haha Asians are so weird!" makes it different. A lot of people are doing that stupid thing where something can't be strange because it just is. It has to be strange because, "of course! Those kooky Asians made it!". The word Muk Bang also doesn't sound weird or sexual to me as a non original English speaker which adds to the whole tinge of otherring factor.

I mean, Mukbang and ASMR are exactly the same thing, aren't they? It's not a weird asian thing because there's tons of ASMR eating content, so as a concept it's not really specifically asian even if that's a Korean word and sufficient content out of Korea popularised it. Making gross eating noises into a mic isn't a uniquely asian thing.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
i dont think people watch them for the sound.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

CelticPredator posted:

Moist mukbang

Well, they probably are.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Sarcopenia posted:

Yeah, as someone who has just accepted that I will struggle with bulimia for the rest of my life, this is what makes me uncomfortable about it.

its seems pretty obvious, when most people doing them remain shockingly thin despite their calorie intake, that they have chosen self harm as a career path and that really should not be an avenue at all

theres also the desperate need, for people who chose this, to innovate and stand out from the crowd which lead to that one mukbang streamer torturing her living seafood on camera before eating it

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Bakeneko posted:

A channel I’ve been binging recently is Josh Strife Hayes. He talks about MMOs, in particular roasting a bunch of terrible ones in his “Worst MMO Ever” series, which is exactly the sort of content I crave on Youtube.

But he does other stuff too, like his most recent video, which is about a cryptocurrency scam masquerading as an MMO. If you enjoyed laughing at all the people preordering spaceships in Star Citizen, then check this out because it manages to be even worse.

I scrolled through his channel and saw a video on Rizom. Hadn't heard that name in a long while. There's a really fascinating history with that project: It was a commercial flop but the community of the game really likes its roleplay and cooperative crafting, all assets and code were released after liquidation of the company, a few people got that mess into a state so it can run again and are hosting it ever since. I just checked and there are three people regularly committing code and none of them seem to be full time developers. There's some really interesting history here, it's basically a time capsule of a dead mmo from over 15 years ago.

Had to turn the video off. He comes of as a huge prick talking repeatedly of hypothetical fans of the game screeching as he, rational objective man, explains things that the people still working on the game do not disagree with. Last time I looked the remaining players were downright apologetic about the poor onboarding, and here's this poo poo heel arguing with his straw man fans.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

fun hater posted:

its seems pretty obvious, when most people doing them remain shockingly thin despite their calorie intake, that they have chosen self harm as a career path and that really should not be an avenue at all

theres also the desperate need, for people who chose this, to innovate and stand out from the crowd which lead to that one mukbang streamer torturing her living seafood on camera before eating it
Yeah, it is not possible for people to be that small unless there is some very unhealthy withholding of food outside of those videos. It's weird how larger people like the Avocado dude posted earlier are the only ones getting poo poo for being unhealthy because they realistically gain weight.
Oh nooo. I had memory holed that UwU animal abuse lady so hard. :(

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i mean the avocado dude is specifically a feeder fetish thing so you really can’t win

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

watho posted:

i mean the avocado dude is specifically a feeder fetish thing so you really can’t win

I saw the thumbnail for one of the videos was him kissing his boyfriend(?) while about to eat a mountain of Chik-Fil-A. Chops... busted?

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

watho posted:

I never claimed that what he did was healthy or whatever. I just think that it is very lovely that people's brains just go "this is fine" when people are unrealistically not gaining weight or muscle while chowing down large amounts of usually not healthy food. It's probably the most ED triggering thing I've ever witnessed people just accept as totally normal outside of heroin chic being the thing when I was a kid.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Sarcopenia posted:

I never claimed that what he did was healthy or whatever. I just think that it is very lovely that people's brains just go "this is fine" when people are unrealistically not gaining weight or muscle while chowing down large amounts of usually not healthy food. It's probably the most ED triggering thing I've ever witnessed people just accept as totally normal outside of heroin chic being the thing when I was a kid.

oh no for sure i agree i’m just saying it’s either promoting a horrible body image or it’s people who are purposefully gaining a lot of weight for sexual gratification. obviously that isn’t as bad as the first thing but still bad

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I don't think I've ever seen someone tie "Mukbang sounds like a gross rear end word" to it being of any asian origin. It just sounds like a gross rear end word, which also means listening to someone smack and chomp into a microphone.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Yardbomb posted:

I don't think I've ever seen someone tie "Mukbang sounds like a gross rear end word" to it being of any asian origin. It just sounds like a gross rear end word, which also means listening to someone smack and chomp into a microphone.

It doesn't have to be conscious, but denigrating a word just because it sounds bad to English speakers is Casual Racism 101. Regardless if you think mukbangs themselves are gross (I certainly do).

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 3, 2021

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

Not related to the sound of the word but before it became a thing white westerners did on youtube I had only heard or read it being described as "haha asians love looking at people eat, they sure are weird!".

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJCvOCa0_h0

Oh boy content

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

DrVenkman posted:

That's a drop off for those dudes right? I looked them up a while ago because I didn't think they could still be doing it and they are... To a greatly diminished audience. They posted something a few days ago to try and grab that BTS crowd and they still haven't cracked 100k views yet.

Epic Meal Time definitely felt like they had a major quality cliff. Early on their food was ridiculous but there was definitely an element of skill employed from scratch cooking insane foods, and at some point there was a very clear switch to "we're going to put 52 Big Macs in a pan and call it lasagna" where it wasn't actually interesting anymore, just meme-y and ALLCAPS BACON for the sake.

Like much of their first run of foods looked like something I'd actually want to eat in moderation, but it went into gross and excessive so I stopped watching.

Neo_Crimson posted:

It doesn't have to be conscious, but saying denigrating a word just because it sounds bad to English speakers is Casual Racism 101. Regardless if you think mukbangs themselves are gross (I certainly do).
Was gonna say that. "hurr hurr foreign word sounds funny" gets into very bad territory very quickly.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I dunno, I guess it's that I already find a lot of words gross sounding including english words, 'clunge' might be one of the worst words in any lexicon on earth, but it's fair to say it sounds awful because it just does sound disgusting, without having to be biased against the english for doing so, or like it's a shorthand but people say it as a word anyway, but fupa could go and be gone forever too.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 3, 2021

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
This is a very detailed video about less than a minute worth of 'hiyah' sounds and screaming.

Interesting to learn that so many people havd provided those noises though. Although they noted the pattern that whenever there's a new incarnation of link they tend to recast him but seemed confused when Spirit Tracks and Hyrule Warriors got new actors in? They also didn't mention the aLttP GBA port that used the N64 era voice iirc. Nitpicks aside though this is exactly the sort of hyper specific content I crave.

Everytime they played all the noises in a row really cracked me up though lol.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

I dunno, I guess it's that I already find a lot of words gross sounding including english words, 'clunge' might be one of the worst words in any lexicon on earth, but it's fair to say it sounds awful because it just does sound disgusting, without having to be biased against the english for doing so, or like it's a shorthand but people say it as a word anyway, but fupa could go and be gone forever too.

Yeah I'm not on board with the idea that it's still some low-key racism. No one hearing the term is going to think it's Korean in origin and are likely instead going to think that the words "muck" and "bang" together are kinda gross because "bang" is so synonymous with sex.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
yeah it doesn't read Korean it reads "mud gently caress"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, if you wanna say something's Korean I'd expect it to look more like this 한글

watho
Aug 2, 2013

why hasn’t this thread been gassed yet?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FYTc55nGEI

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XotXrlFoaNc

Remy with a bonafide MTG bop.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Online Creators + Reviewers V: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FYTc55nGEI

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Who is screaming "embed videos" at my house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Wait Jenny Nicholson has patreon exclusive videos? God drat it.

*pays*