Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Just to be SURE we're doing this right - we beat the Ghoul Priest in the first scenario of the core box, he was surprisingly easy, we had one guy attack him then the urchin lady would engage him, evade him, and leave him exhausted so he couldn't attack. He never even got to do damage because the refresh cards step happens after monsters attack.

Were these correct strategies or were we playing the evade action wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
That’s correct, it’s action intensive and he has retaliate, so if he misses before he’s evaded, he will hit you back. You can attack any enemy who isn’t a aloof after they’ve been evaded to ignore retaliate. (it’s why cards like stunning blow are so fun on bosses.)

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
Is buying a second core still the only way to get a second copy of some of the investigator cards, or did they print them in one of the "Return to..." boxes or something?

Freakie
Oct 30, 2013

Douche Phoenix posted:

Is buying a second core still the only way to get a second copy of some of the investigator cards, or did they print them in one of the "Return to..." boxes or something?

AFAIK all the Return to boxes only add new cards, no reprints.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There are upgraded versions of some of those core cards in different sets.

And in case of my localized edition, they've put translation errata packs in some of the later cycles, as the result of which I now have three Wards of Protection and six Fieldworks.

Still, have to buy another core for more dynamite.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

General Battuta posted:

Just to be SURE we're doing this right - we beat the Ghoul Priest in the first scenario of the core box, he was surprisingly easy, we had one guy attack him then the urchin lady would engage him, evade him, and leave him exhausted so he couldn't attack. He never even got to do damage because the refresh cards step happens after monsters attack.

Were these correct strategies or were we playing the evade action wrong?

That's correct, and often the way you want to deal with bosses. Oftentimes it's actually best to let whoever is doing the evade reengage them during upkeep phase, so they don't have to waste the action for engaging (this can vary depending on other factors of course).

Also if you are going through the whole starter campaign, I'll just give you a warning that the final scenario is intentionally difficult. Don't be discouraged if it doesn't go well.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Why buy more dynamite when you can get nate cho, and get the fun upgrade?

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
Side note, those investigator decks work pretty decently in Barkham Horror if you swap the investigators for the Barkham ones.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Normal Wheezes, a elderly gastronomer, sets out to explore the jungle of Southern Mexico alone.

With him he brings no clothing save for a medallion, no food, no medicine, no bedding, some books, emotional trauma from learning how to do magic at parties, and an infinite supply of torches carried by an embarrassed doctor sidekick. Darting from bush to bush behind them is a Silver Twilight dude sweating bullets in a heavy robe.

The first day of the expedition starts with Normal studying the map and picking a route that doesn't involve seeing too much of the jungle. He discovers a rope bridge. There, a snake falls on top of him and hisses. Out of respect for mother nature Normal flips the snake on its side, with an image of a neckbeard yelling "Eureka!" flashing in his mind for some reason. Normal retreats to the camp, and admires the bridge at a distance, less clueless than before.

Still, the bridge has to be crossed, so Normal slips onto it again using a shortcut through the sewer tunnels running under the jungle. What happens next is a bit of a blur, but Wheezes will recall killing the snake by electrifying a door handle, and then getting lost on the bridge. Then, a man appears on the bridge, whom many would consider naked, but he still wears more than Normal, so he avoids all contact with the passing gastronomer by hanging off the edge, as any sane person would. Also on the bridge is an invisible snake who finally bites our hero.

Spurred by the pain he passes into a thicker part of the jungle that keeps growing thicker by the minute. He gets a clue that maybe this is not the best place to keep looking. As he turns to head back to the bridge from which the less naked man keeps tossing empty Coke cans at Normal, he hears another snake land in the bush. On the bridge, its getting crowded as the naked Normal and the naked man who pretends he wasn't the one throwing the cans are joined by a reasonably dressed snake person. The person bonks Normal on the head for littering in the national park, and takes the sobbing gastronomer back to the camp.

At the camp Wheezes is joined by some dude named Alejandro, who's also brought nothing on the trip. Normal spends the following night standing guard while sleeping without a blanket and vomiting the food the didn't eat because he didn't bring any.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
This is probably going to be the high water mark for this adventure

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Normal Wheezes steps into an ancient temple, a unique cultural heritage site, turns around and tells the support team to bring all the dynamite they've got. After the fireworks show, Normal discovers a shiny ball in the rubble. He takes a shine to the shiny ball.

Still not wearing much, Normal returns to the city of Arkham, handing the ball to his friend for safekeeping. Said friend does not hand himself over to anyone for safekeeping, so Wheezes has to go and rescue him by beating him in the face with a spellbook. On the way there, the Silver Twilight dude chilling in a cafe spots Normal, and then calls "Bullshit!" when Wheezes is lifted by a bat-like flying thingie and deposited a few blocks away, safe from the dude's coffee cup and doughnuts.

Normal recovers the shiny ball, and goes straight to the hospital to have the snake venom sucked out of him. The removal of this threat makes him forget the valuable life lessons of the past few weeks, so he's setting off on a second trip with no food, no bedding and no medicine. He doesn't speak Mexican, but he's bringing chalk.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

OK.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I need to sit down and redo my organization for this game as poo poo is so disorganized it keeps me from wanting to play the game. Anyone else have this problem?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

jeeves posted:

I need to sit down and redo my organization for this game as poo poo is so disorganized it keeps me from wanting to play the game. Anyone else have this problem?

My organization is pretty simple and low effort:

Each campaign's cards are in one of those BCW white boxes, I think 500 or 600 count? I'd use the Return To boxes if I had them. Locations and act/agenda in clear sleeves, encounter cards in black matte Dragon Shields, cards that never get shuffled into anywhere (bosses, scenario assets) in another color. When I play a campaign, the cards get all disorganized because they get reused in different scenarios so much, but at least they're all in one box.

Core set scenario cards that get used often are stored in another box to pull out when I need them.

I have player cards organized by class, in one box each. I can't keep them organized because I like to visually see the cards when I build, meaning everything's going to be a mess the first time I attempt to theorycraft a new deck. I might change to a box for level 0 cards and a box for cards that cost experience for each class, because I now have too many to fit into a standard-size deckbox.

All the character cards are in a small deckbox, and there's another one for the character unique cards and one for basic weaknesses. I've been meaning to get a small four-per-page binder for these things.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I have a pretty good system, I'm just falling behind.

Like I need to just pony up and buy some nice Dex Protection binders for player cards, as I keep all campaign/encounter cards in the Return to boxes. (Need to decide to go all-in on 12 pocket per page binders or stick with 9 pocket per page)

I think I've just been procrastinating on that. Plus trying to print out better copies of campaign booklets, as the whole poo poo that comes with the individual scenarios fukken sucks. They should have really spend $10 bux on a nicely printed booklet for the entire campaign inside the Return to Boxes, but EEHHHHHH for EFFORT for Asmodee.

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
The scenario booklets all just go in an accordion folder. The player cards are my personal organizational nightmare.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Are any of the campaigns viable with just the starter decks (the ones you can buy, not the ones in the core)? I have 2 cores, finished Dunwich, and wanted to see how good the game could get given most people say Dunwich is the weakest campaign, but me and my group haven't done much deck building in the past and liked the starter decks when we went through Excelsior Hotel.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

New boxes give you a lot of fun toys to play with. I would buy the starter decks with the new characters though, in your favorite classes.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
The starter investigators are all quite powerful (Norman is probably the weakest but the other four are very good, and it’s not like he’s unplayable). While the starter decks themselves are not optimized you’d probably have no issues w/Carcossa and could probably make a good run of it with the dream eaters, though it is more difficult than carcossa

I think you’d want a bigger card pool for TFA or TCU.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Buy some of the starter standalone investigators, and then play the first two scenarios of Dunwich (that come with the deluxe expansion). Both scenarios are excellent, and the Dunwich investigators are very simple but powerful to pair up with the stand-alone new guys.

Then once you build up XP from the first two scenarios, play the Hotel Exselisor stand alone scenario with your dudes.

Right there is a great amount of play-- for like... what an extra $100 bux from the core set? gently caress don't remind me how much money I've spent on this game...

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The starter deck investigators are great for learning deckbuilding because their themes are obvious and they're all mono-class. I'd pick a truly random basic weakness when playing them though, the ones they come with are way too specifically tuned to antagonize them.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

jeeves posted:

I have a pretty good system, I'm just falling behind.

Like I need to just pony up and buy some nice Dex Protection binders for player cards, as I keep all campaign/encounter cards in the Return to boxes. (Need to decide to go all-in on 12 pocket per page binders or stick with 9 pocket per page)

I think I've just been procrastinating on that. Plus trying to print out better copies of campaign booklets, as the whole poo poo that comes with the individual scenarios fukken sucks. They should have really spend $10 bux on a nicely printed booklet for the entire campaign inside the Return to Boxes, but EEHHHHHH for EFFORT for Asmodee.

Honestly, I think binders are great for storage and display, but if you're actually using your cards they're terribly inconvenient. It's a pain having to always pull cards out/put them in the binder sleeves (doubly so if you're someone who only plays with sleeved decks), on top of the fact that it's a pain when you have to expand them with adding new cards, etc.

Basically, I have my scenario cards in return to boxes when available, otherwise in BCW long boxes. And my player cards I have a pirate labs double case, each faction gets it's own row along with a row with neutral/dual faction/weaknesses. And in each row I have cards divided by no xp/xp. This lets me pull out what's needed easily for deckbuilding and swapping cards around.

And as for campaign booklets, there's some you can find online that have basically compiled them all into something you can print off. Yeah I'd prefer if they would've just added a combined one to the return boxes, but lol at them doing stuff like that.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Are any of the campaigns viable with just the starter decks (the ones you can buy, not the ones in the core)? I have 2 cores, finished Dunwich, and wanted to see how good the game could get given most people say Dunwich is the weakest campaign, but me and my group haven't done much deck building in the past and liked the starter decks when we went through Excelsior Hotel.

Most of the starter decks are at least functional, if not amazingly optimized. The only one I'd warn against is the rogue deck which is kinda a mess. And the guardian one isn't bad, but you may have some issues in 3-4 player campaigns if you're all running the starter decks as-is.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Arkham can be organized alphabetically and into lots of baggies, too. The problem is that any organization takes time after every game.

DeceasedHorse posted:

The starter investigators are all quite powerful (Norman is probably the weakest but the other four are very good, and it’s not like he’s unplayable).
Harvey?
Wait, his stat line is like Norman's, only with fist and foot swapped.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I've organised player cards by splitting them into:

Neutral lvl 0
Neutral lvl >0
Each class lvl 0 (seperate for each class)
Each class lvl >0
Multiclass cards (all lvl 0)

Then each of the level 0 piles is sorted Assets --> Events --> Skills and in no further particular order.
And each of the lvl >0 piles is sorted on level (so from 1 through 5) and in no further particular order.

Multiple copies of cards are always kept together.

This helps me both build decks, quickly pull out whatever specific card I want and look for upgrades whenever I'm not sure what I want to spend my XP on.
It's also easy to return cards to their place when deconstructing a deck or when adding newly purchased cards.

Basically I feel like I spent less time on organising this way than it saves me by being organised this way. Unlike say, binders or alphabetising would.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 2, 2021

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
This may not change recommendations, but I saw some people that think were confused because of my lack of clarity. When I was talking about "starter decks," I was talking about these. We have Nathaniel, Stella, and Jacqueline, which we tried out in the Excelsior Hotel, and liked them, and we're curious if the premade, starter investigators were viable for campaigns out-of-the-box. I know the later campaigns get harder as time goes on, so I know they may work for some, but not all of them.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I would edit SOMEWHAT. Jaq needs more $, for example.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2021/6/3/to-edge-of-the-earth/

Looks like future cycles will be released as two boxes, one for player cards and the other for the scenarios. No more monthly mythos packs.

NuclearWinterUK fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 3, 2021

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Smart way to solve supply problems, why not ship two boxes instead of seven?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

It makes sense to me, I just don't know why they would even split it. Just make one big box.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Golden Bee posted:

Smart way to solve supply problems, why not ship two boxes instead of seven?

Yeah, it's a good change.

alg posted:

It makes sense to me, I just don't know why they would even split it. Just make one big box.

I suspect the $100 price point for a single box would be enough to turn some people off.

Also I like that I can now spend $60 to grab a complete new campaign and play through it with my current decks. Or a new player can grab one of the premade Investigator decks and then pick up a campaign for a lower price point than buying a traditional cycle.

NuclearWinterUK fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 3, 2021

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

thank loving god, I always hated the constant dread of "I have the core box but can only find part 2, part 4, and part 5 of the loving cycle" when these come out. Just putting it all out into a single box will hopefully mean less of the infamous Arkham inventory issues.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

alg posted:

Honestly I'm surprised they did it this way-it also lets people who only want player cards pay far less. If you have a set group, you can just have one person buy the campaign (or pool to buy it) and still get the full experience. Heck, even if you want it for yourself later to play solo/with others, you can just choose to grab it then.

Honestly I love the decision except...it does make me worry a bit since it's a dramatic departure, and with how they've axed so many of their LCGs recently on top of the other restructurings I'm wondering if this isn't gonna be a lead in to getting far less releases. Without being tied to cycles like they were, maybe it'll be like board game expansions, or new revisions?

Also Lily Chen looks extremely fun and possibly really powerful.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Oh, Normal is coming as a regular investigator, not a book bonus. Now to wait for a two-year backlog of localized content to be released here.

Strength in Numbers looks like a Lola-ish card.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Norman's new art makes it look like his signature weakness is IBS

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SelenicMartian posted:

Oh, Normal is coming as a regular investigator, not a book bonus. Now to wait for a two-year backlog of localized content to be released here.

Strength in Numbers looks like a Lola-ish card.

It makes more sense to reveal more broadly since they're dumping a ton of multiclass cards.

For those playing along at home it'll be Daniela Rayes the Mechanic as Guardian, Norman as Seeker, Monteray Jack as Rogue, Lily Chen, and Bob Jenkins is the Survivor.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It’s his picture from the board game.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
There's an image floating around on r/arkhamhorrorlcg of what looks like a revised core set. Nothing major looks to be updated if we can trust the probably-not-final mockup, but it has updated art for some of the cards as well as larger updated tokens. My hunch is that it'll have a slightly higher cost and include full playsets of everything to be more in line with their new product model.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

LifeLynx posted:

There's an image floating around on r/arkhamhorrorlcg of what looks like a revised core set. Nothing major looks to be updated if we can trust the probably-not-final mockup, but it has updated art for some of the cards as well as larger updated tokens. My hunch is that it'll have a slightly higher cost and include full playsets of everything to be more in line with their new product model.

would be pretty great if they just decided that future re-prints of past expansion sets follow the same ethos as the new one, i.e. big box of an entire cycle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

LifeLynx posted:

Lol god drat it